Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quickfire Question - How much per sq. ft to build 1.5 storey house?

Options
  • 09-06-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

I know questions like this one can have a lot of room for error. I have had various figures thrown at me, like "you should allow €150 a square foot" to "you'll get away with €80 a square foot today, what with the price drops and the recession".

So, typically, excluding site purchase and the provision of renewables/green energy, what would a typical 4 bedroom 1.5 storey, c. 2,500 square foot house cost to build versus a 2,500 square foot bungalow (maybe with converted attic)?

If you need more info, just ask. I don't have sound plans from an architect to show you, but I can show you plans to an extent.

Thanks in advance,

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Just about to start building in the next week or so, touch wood. We are going the contractor route and are building a 2100 sq ft storey and a half with a seperate garage. Cheapest quote we got was e87 per sq ft which had no renewable energy, pvc windows, red deal througout, concrete roof tiles, didn't include our garage or any outside paths- the basic shell of the house. Of course we're going for a much higher spec and we will be looking to bring the project in at less than e140 per sq ft including geo thermal with UFH, alu clad windows, kitchen, tiling and all those furnishings. I would strongly advise that you start working on the type of heating system and window choice immediately because their cost will have a massive impact on your budgeted cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Agree with the above post about windows and heating.

I was quoted in Cork for my build (5 weeks in) between €65 > €120 per sq ft. Builders are comming back with €55 per sq ft but obviously the spec is lower than what we want. Our builders finish is going to be €85 per sq ft but that is ICF, concrete first floor, natural slate tiles, limestone cills, oil boiler etc. We do have to add €12k for the higher spec window/doors (aluclad) but we sourced those our selves.

Aditional costs are MHRV, Solar, upgraded plumbing (thermal store, pressurised etc) which should take the costs to €105 per sq ft.

The costs do creep up we still need to source flooring, kitchen, internal doors, stoves and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Thanks for your replies guys. The difference one of you say of €65 to €120 sq/ft is pretty huge. Are there trade offs of e.g. larger windows to save on cost of blocks? What is the difference in cost (if planning was not an issue) between natural slate and cement tiles for the roof?

Is anyone here willing to share a drawing of their plans and outline exterior add-ons (garage, paths, renewable add-ons, etc.) and the cost it was/is to do it? This is one of the big hurdles for me - if I had something to compare it to, then I could trim house plans accordingly to make it fit the budget.

Cheers,

Seanie.

P.S. - when I say 'I', I mean, my wife and I! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,851 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My plans are here along with lots of other information.

I plan(will have to) somplete the house to a reasonable finished standard for €65/sqft.

Anything is possible, but spec, changes after planning, and area are the major factors that drive the price up from that figure. My philisophy is spend three times as long planning for it than you plan to spend building it.

EDIT: I just seen you are from Offaly too, so all information in the thread mentioned above will really apply to you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,078 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i could stand with hand on heart and tell posters here that, in order to comply with current building regulations €75 per sq foot would barely cover materials only.... .regardless of the location of the dwelling.

anybody quoting in this region:
    1. hasnt a clue about current building regs and the costs involved.
    2. looking for a large amount of cash for work
    3. working to pay the tax man
    4. not paying proper wage guidelines and insurances
    5. not paying full rates for materials, or trying to use substandard materials

for a proper B1-A3 rated dwelling to current regs by a professional builder expect to pay in the region of 100+ per sq ft for a builders finish.

• Advertisement

My plans are on here http://grianan.blogspot.com/ you will have to click on older posts as its my build blog and the plans were first post.

I will post the contract I have with the builder that has the full details of the costs broken down if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I would be inclined to agree with Syd.

I am starting a 3600sqft build in the next few months and am going the direct labour route.
    Timberframe, MHRV, UFH - Woodpellet & Solar, Aluclad windows, A3 hopefully.

I am hoping to bring it in @ €120/sqft inc 10% contingency.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tradesman27

Hi Guys.

I am a qualified carpenter. I have been a building contractor for 7 years now. I can tell you that to bring a home to a basic completion that includes.

Substructure
    Superstructure
    Roof
    Electrics
    Plumbing
    Plastering
    second fix carpentry
    painted

To bring it to basic completion at a good level will cost you in the region of €110 per square ft. There are various things you can do to bring the costs down. In order for me to get work now i am passing on all trade discounts. On your side you can make the build simple. Square instead of curved for example. Simple pvc windows are a good product and relatively cheap in comparison to others on the market. Solar panels are relatively cheap for water heating if you wanted a greener element.

Discuss your project in depth with your contractor. Demand that he is completely transparent with his costings. YOU should never be unsure about any aspect before commencing.

My quotes are now broken down to the point you could remove a single light fitting and you will know what it saves you. Every quote recieved should be very detailed.

Demand the following

Proven experience
    References
    Qualifications
    A fully transparent and broken down quote.
    A programme of works
    A payment schedule based on progress.
    A competent architect or engineer qualified and insured to sign off on the completed building.

As an experienced builder who also built his own home with his missus, that is my tuppence worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Wow, you guys are good! I have to go through the links shown in depth, but probably not till tonight as I am at work today and a very busy bee. However, keep them coming, all info is useful (knowledge is power and all the philosophy). Thanks for taking the time to reply folks!

:)
    Seanie.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i could stand with hand on heart and tell posters here that, in order to comply with current building regulations €75 per sq foot would barely cover materials only.... .regardless of the location of the dwelling.

anybody quoting in this region:
    1. hasnt a clue about current building regs and the costs involved.
    2. looking for a large amount of cash for work
    3. working to pay the tax man
    4. not paying proper wage guidelines and insurances
    5. not paying full rates for materials, or trying to use substandard materials

for a proper B1-A3 rated dwelling to current regs by a professional builder expect to pay in the region of 100+ per sq ft for a builders finish.

I put these 5 pionts to my contractor and for my engineer to comment on, you may find their responces interesting

1. hasnt a clue about current building regs and the costs involved.- They are fully up to speed on the regs they will not build a home substandard as they work 90% on reconmendations. Engineer - The work is exceptionally high standard (so far) and has no doubt the home will reach an "A" standard
    2. looking for a large amount of cash for work All money transfers are via the solicitors, ours and theirs so no cash
    3. working to pay the tax man The answer was they legally "work the system"
    4. not paying proper wage guidelines and insurances Fully insured, homebond etc as it was a requirement from our solictor to release the payments
    5. not paying full rates for materials, or trying to use substandard materials They are not paying full rates for materials, they are ordering material in such a volume that they get great rates on as they have 3 builds on. All material for my build is from named brands and suppliers Reward (ICF), Kingspan, A&W concrete, heating system is TiSun based.

The contractor also said their rates have not changed significantly in the last 5 years, they didnt milk the boom as they were aware it would not last. They save costs by keeping the work within family, son is plant operator, brother chippy, other brother bricky/plasterer, father structural engineer and they work "smart" by well planned builds that are quick but not rushed.

I am aware a lot of this may just talk but I am interested in the reaction from professionals as its a cost difference of 25% for the basic build.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

was talking to a QS recently who was telling me he priced a job for a client at cost (client just wanted to job to keep ticking over in the hope that things will improve and they pick up other jobs) he was saying his cost per square foot was €82, the client submitted his bill of quantities to be told by architect that there were a 3 bids in at half the price he quoted.

^^^^^ Thats mad, there is a disconect somewhere in the loop.

bamboozle wrote: »
    was talking to a QS recently who was telling me he priced a job for a client at cost (client just wanted to job to keep ticking over in the hope that things will improve and they pick up other jobs) he was saying his cost per square foot was €82, the client submitted his bill of quantities to be told by architect that there were a 3 bids in at half the price he quoted.

Jobs may start on that basis - but they won't complete

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

Just to add on firm quotes, as an architect, i just got prices from contractors for new house finished to turn-key, in Co Meath. The job is for 180m2 bungalow with 50m attic shell, to high quality / spec finish to B1-A3 rating; with 50k pc sums including for aluclad windows, with garage, all grounds finished; fencing etc. lowest two prices came in around 280k.
    told by the qs that a lot of the prelims have been negated to achieve the price and there is less 5% profit on the job (12,000) for the contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Jobs may start on that basis - but they won't complete

completely agree with you, but i'd say it is hard for those planning on building to ignore these really low prices.

bottom line is for comfort a tight contract should be agreed with builder based on bill of quantities or architect's plans to include and price for everything so the builder will be unable to add in many extras.

Here is the problem as I see it . A desperate contractor will agree to almost anything to get works now . A cash strapped client , or one over eager to get "value" will arrange finance based on this price . Contracts are signed together with all appropriate insurances drawings spec's timelines cash flow projections etc etc .

And someway through the build ( almost always when shell is done , 1st fixes in but no 2nd fixes --- get nervous then ) - economic reality BITES HARD . The contractor with all the goodwill in the world can not complete the works .

"His problem" I hear some say . Not really . It is the clients problem . Do you have the money , or time , to "go legal" ?

Seanie M wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies guys. The difference one of you say of €65 to €120 sq/ft is pretty huge. Are there trade offs of e.g. larger windows to save on cost of blocks? What is the difference in cost (if planning was not an issue) between natural slate and cement tiles for the roof?

Is anyone here willing to share a drawing of their plans and outline exterior add-ons (garage, paths, renewable add-ons, etc.) and the cost it was/is to do it? This is one of the big hurdles for me - if I had something to compare it to, then I could trim house plans accordingly to make it fit the budget.

Cheers,

Seanie.

P.S. - when I say 'I', I mean, my wife and I! :)

hey seanie, thought i'd get around to doing this sooner. We're building a 2100 sq ft storey and half house. Got a quote from major one off building company in midlands for 83e per sq ft for builders finish like i mentioned in the previous post. They did quote an additional 9k for concrete flooring with suspended ceiling, 9k extra for aluclad instead of pvc, 18k for geothermal heatpump and underfloor heating instead of condenser modular oil fired boiler with 16 pads with 3 heating zones, additional 11k for thrutone plus over concrete tiles. Krend monocouche coloured plaster instead of napp plaster. I hope this brief list gives you some insight as to the costs that determine your overall build costs! Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dotty121

Hello,

I am a qualified Q.S and have been pricing alot of private houses and extensions recently since the commercial market has effectually blown up!!!

For a standard say 2,200 sqft bungalow my costs lately have been coming in around € 86 to €88 sqft incl Vat for a builders finish.

Included in that would be :
    Oil central heating with rads
    Full electrical fit out
    Blue / black slates
    uPVC black / brown windows
    All internal doors & skirting / architrave
    Etc..........

If you were to add to that :

Tiling & Timber floors - say another 6k
    Fitted Kitchen & Appliances - say 8k
    Upstairs Carpet - say 3k
    Painting - say 3.5k

The above costs should give you a good indication of the final cost of the build and fit out based on a standard build and standard ground conditions.

Cheers................

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,078 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dotty121 wrote: »
    Hello,

I am a qualified Q.S and have been pricing alot of private houses and extensions recently since the commercial market has effectually blown up!!!

For a standard say 2,200 sqft bungalow my costs lately have been coming in around € 86 to €88 sqft incl Vat for a builders finish.

Full electrical fit out
    Blue / black slates
    Etc..........

Upstairs Carpet - say 3k
    Painting - say 3.5k

The above costs should give you a good indication of the final cost of the build and fit out based on a standard build and standard ground conditions.

Cheers................

dotty....

how much extra, on average, is it costing to comply with 2008 regs... which all dwellings will have to now....

And - if I may add - what part of the country ? We are accustomed to a scalping in Dublin sadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rodney1

dotty121 wrote: »
    Hello,

Full electrical fit out
    Blue / black slates
    Etc..........

Upstairs Carpet - say 3k
    Painting - say 3.5k

Cheers................

Hey Dotty.
    Got a quote of 72 per sq ft,inc pvc windows ,foot paths,solar panels,septic tank, insulated slabs on interior of outer walls.Basically all ill need to do after hes gone is fitted kitchen, painting, floor and wall tiles carpets curtins etc.Too good to be true?

I no him and he does good work,ive seen and heard about his past work.Just abit concerned now. FIRST TIME ON THIS SITE LOVE IT.ALL ADVICE WELCOME THANKS EVERYONE.

rodney1 wrote: »
    Hey Dotty.
    Got a quote of 72 per sq ft,inc pvc windows ,foot paths,solar panels,septic tank, insulated slabs on interior of outer walls.Basically all ill need to do after hes gone is fitted kitchen, painting, floor and wall tiles carpets curtins etc.Too good to be true?

I no him and he does good work,ive seen and heard about his past work.Just abit concerned now. FIRST TIME ON THIS SITE LOVE IT.ALL ADVICE WELCOME THANKS EVERYONE.

hey rodders, that could be a fair quote. It all depends on the quality of the finish you want. You will probably be getting a very very basic finish. Eg you will probably be getting a red deal wooden finish. We're going for a full oak finish with an ash stairs. Your sanitary ware will be plain and simple. What type of front door will you have on the house? You should be 100% certain of what you are getting. These issues would mean you'd probably get the same standard of internal finish in a house that is in an estate, there's nothing wrong with that either. It all comes down to personal taste. Our opinion is that this build is a once in a lifetime opportunity so we're pushing the boat out and looking at about 120e per sq ft. We are very fortunate with our circumstances too I must add. I presume your main heating system is oil and rads? Also, Don't underestimate the cost of fitting out the house with floor coverings, kitchen. We've just discovered that nice light fittings ain't cheap, maybe Ikea will help! Again you can do it all as cheaply as you want but more times than not, you get what you pay for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    We moved into our 275 sq meter 1.5 story house just 8 weeks ago.. We broke ground in July 2007. At turn key finish we're standing at €65.12 per sq ft.
    This included as much cash payments as I could get away with and some "mates rates" for sitework and carpentry...

It includes 5 Msq of solar panals..

This does not include kerbing/tarmac/gardens... just 308 laid and rolled.

We didn't go for the cheapest options in materials, nor the cheapest labour quotes, we stuck with craftsmen who had worked for us in the past or who came highly recommended..

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

don't agree about not gettin job done for under 85 euro per sq foot.
    we're building a storey and a half house and detatched garage. We've a raft foundation, UFH, stone finish on entire house and garage, natural slate roof, all oak carpentry, Statford stove, condenser boiler, 7 solar panels, etc, etc and will have kitchen in, all flooring, painting, electrical and sanitary done for €93 per square foot. Everything we're doing is using best possible materials and I'm doing none of the work myself.
    There's serious value to be had out there with suppliers, tradesmen, etc. Be prepared to argue with everyone and yes, cash talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭weshtawake

Forest, does that €93 per sq ft inlude VAT? What is left to complete the house i.e. not included in this calculation??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

weshtawake wrote: »
    Forest, does that €93 per sq ft inlude VAT? What is left to complete the house i.e. not included in this calculation??

Hey weshtawake,
    About the only things I haven't included in there are couches, kitchen tables, beds, wordrobes, TVs... €5,000 will go a fair bit of the way to all of that hopefully.. we're planning on moving in in December so will be looking forward to January sales...

The €93 includes VAT on materials, supplies, etc... Whether or not some of the tradesmen are declaring is entirely up to them, I'd say I'm saving a bit here though...

I'd wait on more quotes if I was you.. It'll be worth the wait in the end..

Advertisement