Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you middle class?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

feel ya there man. i had a huge fall out with my parents just before i turned 17.

basically the reason i dropped out of college was that i couldnt afford it. i was entitled to nothing and just didnt have any other options at the time.

though i guess, now, im quite happy, financially independent (and remarkably sensible about my finances :pac:) and looking at going back to college once i get my residency. (check this out, as a non-resident, it would cost me $18,000 for a one year course, as a resident, it's $2,000. that $800 ive to pay to get residency is starting to look a lot more reasonable...).

I didn't have a fallout with mine. They weren't always middle class and have worked damned hard to get there. My very first job was when I was 12 years old and have been financially independent from them since the age of 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ah, sorry, didnt mean to imply it, i just meant that the line where you get hlep or not is quite annoyingly black and white and can't take individual circumstances into account.

sensible i guess, but still sucks for the people who could have used the flexibility without abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Wow at the reactions. I was using it in a tongue in cheek sorta way, next time I'll stick in a :pac: so it's clearer ;)

sorry if any povs were offended :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

I would describe myself as completely classless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Piste wrote: »
    Wow at the reactions. I was using it in a tongue in cheek sorta way, next time I'll stick in a :pac: so it's clearer ;)

sorry if any povs were offended :pac:

Can just see the headlines already

"Boards moderator caught in derogatory remark scandal"

To feedback! :p

Oh there has already been a "boards moderator caught in derogatory remark scandal" thread about me in feedback, I've tried not to let it happen again :pac: <
    TONGUE IN CHEEK AGAIN!

Oh there has already been a "boards moderator caught in derogatory remark scandal" thread about me in feedback, I've tried not to let it happen again :pac: <
    TONGUE IN CHEEK AGAIN!

"C&H moderator looks down on the working class people of Ireland!
    Cake is suggested to replace bread":p

If I had my way all bread would be replaced with cake. Delicious, delicious cake.

But I get off topic >.<

Some people have said that people with less money have to deal with harsher siuations, but does that necessarily make their life more "real" than someone well-provided for and living comfortably? Reality is subjective and I think it's a little insulting to say that "reality" is struggling to get by and forgoing luxuries when for some people their "reality" is a life lived in the lap of luxury. (not talking about myself here, I don't actually spent all day in my castle eating cake (I wish...) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Really funny joke Piste...

(Not offended or anything since you 'explained yourself', but that was just rubbish)

:pac: :pac: (I put in smileys so everything's fine now!)

If I had my way all bread would be replaced with cake. Delicious, delicious cake.

Sadly we all know the cake is a lie =/

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Or povs with no money who somehow think having less money makes them more "real". God I hate their attitude :mad:

It's a bit ridiculous that no-one minds when middle/upper class people get called "D4 heads", yet once you say pov, everyone jumps on it! Also I don't appreciate the comments about people who wear dubes. I don't go around saying everyone who wears nike runners is a scumbag now do I? That would be a sweeping generalisation, which we all know isn't cool!
    BTW I'm probably just about middle class, but have worked and paid for most of my own stuff since I was 14.

phic wrote: »
    It's a bit ridiculous that no-one minds when middle/upper class people get called "D4 heads", yet once you say pov, everyone jumps on it!

You can't compare the two words; one's a pure insult, while the other isn't, really. Many people strive to be perceived as a "D4 head", believe it or not. I doubt too many strive to be seen as a pov.

And anyway, there's nothing intrinsically derogatory about being called a D4 head.

(By the way, I can't give out about another person using a derogatory name: I'm no angel myself when it comes to dishing out insults to others).

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

You can't compare the two words; one's a pure insult, while the other isn't, really. Many people strive to be perceived as a "D4 head", believe it or not. I doubt too many strive to be seen as a pov.

And anyway, there's nothing intrinsically derogatory about being called a D4 head.

(By the way, I can't give out about another person using a derogatory name: I'm no angel myself when it comes to dishing out insults to others).

Well I think D4 head is meant in a derogatory way? it basically means someone who relies on daddies money, is shallow, and "wannabe american", which seems derogatory to me. And it depends what you take pov to mean, if you take it to mean skanger or whatever, as I do, then I know plenty of people who strive to be seen as one!

phic wrote: »
    Well I think D4 head is meant in a derogatory way? it basically means someone who relies on daddies money, is shallow, and "wannabe american", which seems derogatory to me. And it depends what you take pov to mean, if you take it to mean skanger or whatever, as I do, then I know plenty of people who strive to be seen as one!

Yes, it is derogatory, but not as bad as pov. It's always been my understanding that pov was a reference to somebody living in poverty; or it at least stemmed from the word poverty.

But anyway, it's a pointless argument!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

True D4s wouldnt really take it as an insult.

People who are accused of being part of the stereotype (Accent, how they dress etc) can take it as offense, few however are retarded enough though....

Advertisement