Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you middle class?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I still don't know what the OP defines as middle class, but I'd say I'm pretty firmly middle class (as in, not "lower middle class" or "upper middle class", just middle class)

I hate the terminology. Just because my parents are middle class doesn't mean they work any less hard than someone "working class".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Piste wrote: »
    I still don't know what the OP defines as middle class, but I'd say I'm pretty firmly middle class (as in, not "lower middle class" or "upper middle class", just middle class)

I hate the terminology. Just because my parents are middle class doesn't mean they work any less hard than someone "working class".
    Yep Middle class is pretty broad.

Basically I think the OP means not quite Bono , but not on the breadline either. I think he just needs a hug

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

but, tbh, im happy. ive great friends, a nice home, i spend my spare time surfing, and skating and spending time with mates - the best things in life are free.
    You ma'am[I think] are a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

phasers wrote: »

(Also if you wear Dubes you're either middle class or a wannabe D4... Or a sailor...)

Or they are an unwritten part of your school uniform! Expensive leather slipper is all they are! Remember that snow day this year? Walking home in them was one of the most painful things I have ever experienced.

Kinda remembered my point.......

Until I move out I'll be stuck in a fairly middle class pigeon-hole that I'm fairly happy in. My experience with both the mega rich and the very poor has kinda led me to not value money that much. That doesnt mean I dont appreciate it, but I kinda just dont care about it. I plan on going into science of some form as a profession. There really isn't a whole pile of money in science, and that really doesnt bother me. I'd rather do something I enjoy and get by rather than do something I dont really enjoy and get paid fúck loads.

Most of my year are going to go into business, that's fine, but its just not for me. They might have dreams of huge houses, flash cars, trophy wives etcetc (Stereotypage FTW!), I just dont, one of my few financial goals in life is just home ownership (Of some description, apartment/house whatever, something to call my own, post-colonial society FTW!!!), that's my idea of security, and other than the ability to live comfortably and not be in huge amounts of debt, that's all I want.

Yeah that snow day was horrible to walk home in in dubes :( my socks were stained navy because of them.

• Advertisement

Yeah that snow day was horrible to walk home in in dubes :( my socks were stained navy because of them.

I think deciding to walk home in the first place was an awful idea.

Great craic in theory, incredibly painful though, but once you get about a 1/3 of the way home you start thinking "I am in blood stepped in so far that should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o’er." :D

Quoting Macbeth for fun, now that's middle class.

Or that's a leaving cert student using the only long Macbeth quote he knows and never got to use!

Excuses, Excuses Fad.

Just embrace your middle classness!

Excuses, Excuses Fad.

Just embrace your middle classness!

I really don't mind being called middle class.

I'd rather be called middle class, than be accused of being "Upper" Class :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭tolteq

I'd describe myself as upper-working-class.

i'd describe myself as sh*t class.

you know i thought we didnt have that in this country. i thought we were all the same. damn it we're irish. there are NO classes. just tossers with money who think they are better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No, it's called LC-OCD! :D

tolteq wrote: »
    i'd describe myself as sh*t class.

you know i thought we didnt have that in this country. i thought we were all the same. damn it we're irish. there are NO classes. just tossers with money who think they are better.

Or povs with no money who somehow think having less money makes them more "real". God I hate their attitude :mad:

(not aimed at you tolteq, aimed at people who are like "yeah well my parents had no money so that made me a better person and more in touch with real life". no it doesn't, it just makes you poor :mad:)

Or povs with no money who somehow think having less money makes them more "real". God I hate their attitude :mad:

(not aimed at you tolteq, aimed at people who are like "yeah well my parents had no money so that made me a better person and more in touch with real life". no it doesn't, it just makes you poor :mad:)

Well it depends how you define "real life", really. The majority of the wealthy have a comfier lifestyle, they have access to better facilities - especially educational and medical - and they're somewhat shielded from the realities of life without an excess of money: which brings many kinds of comfort, of course. Someone without money, who has been forced (for one reason or another) to live a harder life, has no doubt been in touch with the harsher realities of life.

Does this make them a better person? No, certainly not. How good a person is is defined by different terms.

Does this make them more in touch with the harsher realities of life? Perhaps. They certainly don't have the shield and advantage which wealth brings.

(By the way, I'm not claiming I've been in touch with these harsher realities: I haven't).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

You ma'am[I think] are a legend

nah, just never wana be a slavetothewage.

Povs?

Wow, that post was pretty snobby Piste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I have no problem admitting that I've been sheltered from a shítload of the bad side of life due to my parents' financial situation.

I hate the attitude of the begrudgers of the rich, but I wouldn't deny that my life has been unjustly easier and that I lack experience of financial hardship.

Also, I agree, you come across incredibly snobby here. Having 'pov' as part of your lexicon isn't a good thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

I bet your future medical-card using patients will love you. Povs..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I personally would consider myself Upper working aspiring not so much to a change in social class but in terms of employment class.

If anything this country punishes the middle class. Because my parents 'earn too much', I cannot get a medical card and there is a slight chance that I will not be able to apply for the grant next year.

I rarely get money from my parents and regularly work long hours just so I can earn enough to survive.

• Advertisement

feel ya there man. i had a huge fall out with my parents just before i turned 17.

basically the reason i dropped out of college was that i couldnt afford it. i was entitled to nothing and just didnt have any other options at the time.

though i guess, now, im quite happy, financially independent (and remarkably sensible about my finances :pac:) and looking at going back to college once i get my residency. (check this out, as a non-resident, it would cost me $18,000 for a one year course, as a resident, it's $2,000. that $800 ive to pay to get residency is starting to look a lot more reasonable...).

I didn't have a fallout with mine. They weren't always middle class and have worked damned hard to get there. My very first job was when I was 12 years old and have been financially independent from them since the age of 16.

ah, sorry, didnt mean to imply it, i just meant that the line where you get hlep or not is quite annoyingly black and white and can't take individual circumstances into account.

sensible i guess, but still sucks for the people who could have used the flexibility without abuse.

Wow at the reactions. I was using it in a tongue in cheek sorta way, next time I'll stick in a :pac: so it's clearer ;)

sorry if any povs were offended :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

I would describe myself as completely classless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Wow at the reactions. I was using it in a tongue in cheek sorta way, next time I'll stick in a :pac: so it's clearer ;)

sorry if any povs were offended :pac:

Can just see the headlines already

"Boards moderator caught in derogatory remark scandal"

To feedback! :p

Oh there has already been a "boards moderator caught in derogatory remark scandal" thread about me in feedback, I've tried not to let it happen again :pac: <
    TONGUE IN CHEEK AGAIN!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Oh there has already been a "boards moderator caught in derogatory remark scandal" thread about me in feedback, I've tried not to let it happen again :pac: <
    TONGUE IN CHEEK AGAIN!

"C&H moderator looks down on the working class people of Ireland!
    Cake is suggested to replace bread":p

If I had my way all bread would be replaced with cake. Delicious, delicious cake.

But I get off topic >.<

Some people have said that people with less money have to deal with harsher siuations, but does that necessarily make their life more "real" than someone well-provided for and living comfortably? Reality is subjective and I think it's a little insulting to say that "reality" is struggling to get by and forgoing luxuries when for some people their "reality" is a life lived in the lap of luxury. (not talking about myself here, I don't actually spent all day in my castle eating cake (I wish...) )

• Advertisement

Really funny joke Piste...

(Not offended or anything since you 'explained yourself', but that was just rubbish)

:pac: :pac: (I put in smileys so everything's fine now!)

Advertisement