Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criticism of EU = Euro skeptic?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Elmo wrote: »
    The current set of Commissioners are sent to Europe by each of the Governments of Europe. Often the seem to me to be political appointees rather than so call "civil servant". I think the PMs of Europe should select the commissioner but they should select a qualified person not some party hack. I don't think Charlie McCreevey is a suitable appointee for the EU.

No again I amn't a federalist and I think each sovereign state should have some national basis. AFAIK most US states get 1 - 2 senators regardless of size. no?

In relation to the all this voting lark, the French go back to the polls when voting for their president. <<< Again I don't know for sure.

I agree they should be a qualified person, however there is some hope with an appointed commissioner, but you are pretty much guaranteed a party hack if there is an election.

The big question is who decides who is the qualified candidate? Perhaps the outgoing commission should hold interviews for the incoming one!? Imagine what the likes of Libertas would do with that!

Unfortunately I think that elected is the opposite of qualified, with appointed by government sitting somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I agree they should be a qualified person, however there is some hope with an appointed commissioner, but you are pretty much guaranteed a party hack if there is an election.

My point being I would rather an elected party hack or an unelected qualified person.

But I know the governments would all say their appointees are qualified.

Charlie McCreevey sits nowhere in the middle of anything.

As for Mandelson I don't think he knows where to sit.

Advertisement