Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The networking thread

• 06-06-2009 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

Right folks...... post your myspace, facebook, twitter, etc. links here.

My Myspace
    My twitter
    My soundcloud

I've really got get my ass in gear and sort out a decent facebook stuff for music related stuff. Right now I only use it for non-music purposes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i wouldnt advise facebook for anything music related. their terms and conditions basically mean that they own anything you upload, and you accept that by signing up

its open to a lot of abuse from their end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

They've been forced to change that - please read their new terms at bottom of the FB page :)

ah interesting, ill check it out now

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account (except to the extent your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it).

no thanks

And how do forums in general protect your postings? - lets say i post a video here, that anyone can take it?

I don't see a problem there if you are posting low quality content - it's not like you are posting full tracks in a releasable format - and the non-exclusive rights basically mean they can't stop you doing anything with your own versions.

Unless FB are going to start to sell second hand youtube content ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Helix wrote: »
    i wouldnt advise facebook for anything music related. their terms and conditions basically mean that they own anything you upload, and you accept that by signing up

its open to a lot of abuse from their end

Can you explain how this can be Helix ?

Say for example an artist/record company/publisher/management/whoever loads up a track they own legally.

It's still their track, it doesn't matter where it is ...
    How can that be different on Facebook?

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Can you explain how this can be Helix ?

Say for example an artist/record company/publisher/management/whoever loads up a track they own legally.

It's still their track, it doesn't matter where it is ...
    How can that be different on Facebook?

in uploading it you give them permission to use it however they want, royalty free including sub licensing

in uploading it you give them permission to use it however they want, royalty free including sub licensing

For what evil purpose would they use a (lets say) - 96k stream of audio.

who knows, but ive never trusted facebook lol

The one to watch out for - and a few people will know this one - it's called 'a waiver of rights' - that is the one that should start ringing large bells. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Very Interesting indeed.

Is that a Facebook only issue? Is that why there seems to be a lack of Music activity on Facebook , compared to Bebo for example?

Would a link to a stream bypass that , as opposed to an actual upload?

Advertisement