Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simply electronics

Options
  • 03-06-2009 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

hi guys ,
    just wondering have any of you ever bought from this company i see a good deal on a canon lense with free delivery to Ireland
    http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=1838&cartid=7093&cartaction=add&sd=exd
    and theres also a demo version available for 135 pounds just wondering did anyone deal with them and what your experience's were ?

also demo model good or bad idea ?

any advice would be greatly welcomed

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Dont seem to good acording to Google...

and the Waterford Camera Club

http://www.waterfordcameraclub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1238181257/3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i know there's a thread somewhere with lots of info on these guys - i was planning to buy my camera off them too till i did some further research - then i decided to stay well away!!!

they are based on HK and as far as I can remember reading at the time you may not get a product with a EU warranty, be stung for customs depending on the value of the order, and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. i would advise doing some googling before you decide anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

There is a loooong discussion about them here. I have just skimmed some of the 48 pages, but it seems that a lot of people have had bad experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Given the posts above and others I am aware of I don't think the advice from the forum would be to buy from them at the present time.

Just a point of moderation for posters - please ensure any experience that you convey is based on personal experience that you have had. Avoid generalisations. Accusations or summations of any kind in relation to this or any company should be left off the thread. If you choose to direct a PM to the OP it wouldn't cause a problem. This note is in the context of boards wide slander/libel directives to the moderators. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Thanks for the feedback guy's
    i am glad i did'nt jump in now the price was tempting though !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Ah feck.. and they have the 70-200 L IS for 1395 euro - figured it was too good to be true!

Actually, just looked at kea and it's down to 1326 there including shipping - thank god they're linked to the dollar :)@OP - kea have the lens you were looking at including courier shipping (1-4 days) for 221 euro. According to xe.com that's only 20 quid more than the other crowd were asking. And an ever so slightly better name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

sineadw wrote: »

Actually, just looked at kea and it's down to 1326 there including shipping - thank god they're linked to the dollar :)@OP - kea have the lens you were looking at including courier shipping (1-4 days) for 221 euro. According to xe.com that's only 20 quid more than the other crowd were asking. And an ever so slightly better name :)

I think there's a good chance you'd have to make a contribution to saving the banks country when it arrives though, or is stuff still slipping through?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Not if you have rellies in northern ireland ;) AFAIR Kea guarantees VAT free to the UK.

Same would go for the Simply Electronics orders too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cazze

Having read this thread a few weeks back i decided to avoid simply electronics at all costs !
    I recently i bought a sigma 10-20mm from amazon.co.uk
    no problems delivered on time, perfect condition etc.

so today i decided to return to them to make another purchase a canon 55-250 mm
    went ahead and ordered it only to find after i had entered all my details etc and made the purchase that the seller is in fact simply electronics !
    i am raging:mad:
    so much bad stuff on google about them only did it about an hour ago does anyone know if its possible to cancel within 24 hours ?

Very surprised Amazon would do business with this lot :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Oh oh, Not looking good.

from; http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=502536/ref=hp_ln_ord_cao
    Cancelling Orders from Third-Party Sellers

We cannot assist you in cancelling any orders you have placed from Amazon Marketplace sellers (unless the order was Fulfilled by Amazon). Instead, please contact the seller directly and take note of the following:
    Some Marketplace sellers begin processing orders almost as soon as they are placed, so it's not possible to cancel or change a Marketplace order via our website.
    However, sellers can process refunds and may be able to make changes if they haven't yet dispatched your order, so please contact your seller if you want to change or cancel your order.
    Remember that Amazon.co.uk cannot cancel or change a Marketplace order on your behalf and we can't refund you for Marketplace purchases. If you e-mail us for these reasons, we'll ask you to contact your seller, by which time they may have already dispatched the item to you.

Maybe if you called them straight away before they get into the processing order phase?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I actually bought my 16-35 from them and then learned of their reputation afterwards. the reason I went looking on google about them was because their currency rate is different when you pay and then it took about 6 weeks for delivery... I kicked up a fuss and I got the lens in the end at a massive saving but it was painful!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cazze

so it looks like i am tied in eh ! :(

funny but when i bought the last lense my credit card company rang me to double check it was me making the purchase
    as result the original order was cancelled

Did that happen tonight not likely :rolleyes:

Hopefully it works out okay ! a bit worried tbh

o yeah there defo is a difference in their currency converter alright
    the funny thing is if i bought from them direct i would have got it for over 60 euro cheaper :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 highchap

Hi,

just wondering if anyone have used simplyelectronics.net to buy camera equipment. They seem to be able to sell at half the price of other places but it seems too good to be true. Before I spend good money on a website I've never really heard of, I was looking for advice on it.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 troy1

They are surprisingly cheap and I was unsure about them last year when I saw a Canon lens for 100 euro cheaper than the shop. Having used them I can tell you all was well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭leche solara

agree with troy1. Can be slower than promised, but worth the wait

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have bought the following in the last 4 months from them :

Canon 550d
    Canon 50mm f1.8 lens
    Nikon D5100

All arrived safe and sound. We got the Nikon a week later than the website advised but within 2 weeks of ordering so no biggie.

Bottom line is, would I buy from them again..... Yes I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

I was thinking about getting a 35mm 1.4 L from them. Any risk in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Your posting in the wrong area.
    Yes Photography but not in events.

Also post on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055334539 as it covers Scam websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

A work colleague had ordered a Kindle before Christmas in Novemeber, 2nd week into December he had to cancel and call his credit card supplier he did not have a very good experience.

however... I too was also cautious when looking for a Canon 10-22mm lens for my 550D I spotted Panamoz.com same idea a site that sources from Hong Kong and ships out of UK.
    Strange thing is the item wasnt in stock in the UK warehouse it was posted out from Hong Kong and got to me in 4 days even over a weekend.
    Apparently they get billed for customs!
    The lens retails at €899 here in Ireland and amazon.de is €670 + shipping panamoz.com was €590! thats what i paid!
    By the way in your looking dont go near Dontons its known for fraud apparently.

N

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I read somewhere else on this site that when purchasing something from simplyelectonics.net you end up paying custom taxes after you receive the item but I have not used the site myself so cannot verify this. Can someone confirm if this is true or not so I will know myself if I choose to purchase something from there in future.

• Advertisement

DaLad wrote: »
    I read somewhere else on this site that when purchasing something from simplyelectonics.net you end up paying custom taxes after you receive the item but I have not used the site myself so cannot verify this. Can someone confirm if this is true or not so I will know myself if I choose to purchase something from there in future.

nope, ive never paid any customs charges on my 3 purchases from Simplyelectronics. All since september 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

DaLad wrote: »

It is true that Fedex can contact you up to 6 weeks after delivery with a customs bill, plus their own fee, but with SE the shipments appear to be cleared through one of their intermediaries in the UK before reaching you.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Just to let you know I haven't recieved any bill after 2 weeks and it came Hong Kong France, Dublin, panamoz.com said if you do get one send it through they will refund you the duty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 floody2010

Dont touch these with a barge pole.Ordered a camera on 27th of december which they said was in stock.Had to wait until 4th of january until my order was verified.After numerous attempts to contact them through their customer helpline (dublin number but transfers you to a hong kong call center)and via email i discovered they did not have my camera in stock (their website still showed 6 items in stock) and they could not give me a delivery date.Hence i cancelled my order on 16 of january only to be told i would have to wait 5 business days to recieve my refund.Eventually after getting pay pal involved i got my money back.definitely after years of shopping online the worst company i have ever experienced

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

floody2010 wrote: »
    Dont touch these with a barge pole.Ordered a camera on 27th of december which they said was in stock.Had to wait until 4th of january until my order was verified.After numerous attempts to contact them through their customer helpline (dublin number but transfers you to a hong kong call center)and via email i discovered they did not have my camera in stock (their website still showed 6 items in stock) and they could not give me a delivery date.Hence i cancelled my order on 16 of january only to be told i would have to wait 5 business days to recieve my refund.Eventually after getting pay pal involved i got my money back.definitely after years of shopping online the worst company i have ever experienced

Did you do any reading up on them before ordering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I recently tried to buy a phone from them, ordered it on Christmas day and was subjected to a long and awkward "verification" process that involved me sending them picture id, something I wasn't too happy about but did anyway as the phone was so cheap. 3 weeks pass and still no word of the item being dispatched so after several emails I find out that not only is the item not in stock they had no idea when it would be in stock. Nice of them to charge my credit card anyway:rolleyes:

So I requested my money back and in fairness to them got an email from paypal saying the money had been refunded within 2 days. I still haven't gotten the money back onto my credit card though, is this normal? My Paypal balance is zero.

It is true that Fedex can contact you up to 6 weeks after delivery with a customs bill, plus their own fee, but with SE the shipments appear to be cleared through one of their intermediaries in the UK before reaching you.

Also, SE dont use FedEx, they use DHL. The shipment will come from the UK, so theres no custom charges applicable to the purchase.

rickyjb wrote: »
    I recently tried to buy a phone from them, ordered it on Christmas day and was subjected to a long and awkward "verification" process that involved me sending them picture id, something I wasn't too happy about but did anyway as the phone was so cheap. 3 weeks pass and still no word of the item being dispatched so after several emails I find out that not only is the item not in stock they had no idea when it would be in stock. Nice of them to charge my credit card anyway:rolleyes:

The photo ID is pretty common online. i had to do it for ASOS, Karen Millen, and FCUK when ordering for my mam over the years. I wouldnt be too worried about a company asking for those details.
    rickyjb wrote: »
    So I requested my money back and in fairness to them got an email from paypal saying the money had been refunded within 2 days. I still haven't gotten the money back onto my credit card though, is this normal? My Paypal balance is zero.

Anytime i got refunds to my paypal, i had to manually transfer the funds to my bank account. can you still transfer to a credit card? although, whatever account you try to transfer to, it can take around 3-4 days.

kceire wrote: »
    Anytime i got refunds to my paypal, i had to manually transfer the funds to my bank account. can you still transfer to a credit card? although, whatever account you try to transfer to, it can take around 3-4 days.

Last time I paid with a credit card through paypal and got a refund, the money went back to the card, and not to paypal.

SimplyElectronics have amazing prices on a lot of gear. I've only used them once, though, and everything went smoothly for me. Bought a 24-105 lens, it was dispatched from the UK, and it arrived with me about a week after ordering.

Absolutely pristine condition, nothing dodgy about it. I'd recommend them based on my own experience, and I'd personally have no issue dealing with them again.

That said, according to online reports; I do believe that they get their stuff cheaper because they don't have warranties. For example, if you buy from Amazon, you get a Canon warranty. If you buy from SE, you get an SE warranty.

The difference being (according to what I've read online, anyway) is that if you send your lens back to Canon, chances are they'll fix whatever issue you're having, and send you back your lens. This is usually free if within a certain time frame.

With SE, you send your lens back to SE, and (apparently) they insist you damaged it yourself, give you the run-around, and eventually offer you SE credit to partial value of the lens, or offer to return it to you.

When you get it back you can send it to Canon, who you don't have a warranty with, and they'll charge you for the joy of fixing your lens.

Now that said, that's all I've heard online. I have no personal experience of this. I'd use them again if the price was right, no doubt about it.

I just bought a 70-200 f/4 L IS USM off Amazon.de. It worked out at about €90 more than SE, but that's not a massive amount and I'd trust Amazon more than SE if i run into problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Its simple- steer clear of simply electronics.

Advertisement