Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A-Levels Ireland

Options
  • 03-06-2009 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Why can't secondary school students in the Republic of Ireland sit the A-Levels? They're much easier than the Leaving Cert and are just as internationally recognized. I know the Leaving Cert is ranked higher but honestly who cares? We do 7 subjects here while up North they're coasting through on 3. There is an A-Levels bebo site which makes them sound so easy (www.bebo.com/a-levels)

All I'm asking is that our second level students have a choice. Sure all universities/It's in this country support the A-Levels aswell as the Leaving Cert. Just look at any college prospectus.

Go on that bebo site and then come back here and tell me which you'd rather do.

Dept. of Education & State Examinations Commission, give us a choice!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I'd rather do the leaving cert thank you very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mockatron

so you'd rather do 6/7 subjects rather than a nice easy 3? that makes no sense to me im afraid. i know what id choose

A-LEVELS!!!!!!!!

You must agree with me people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Mockatron wrote: »
    so you'd rather do 6/7 subjects rather than a nice easy 3? that makes no sense to me im afraid. i know what id choose

A-LEVELS!!!!!!!!

yes I would like to be educated in more than 3 subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Well for a start the A-Levels are British exams, this is Ireland.

Also, looking for the easy way out is a horrible attitude to have. The Leaving Cert isn't that bad at all, nice level of depth over a wide range of subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

I'm doing A levels. They are available to Irish students if you study them through distance learning and sit the exams in the north. There are a few companies that offer them - just Google "distance A levels".
    You must agree with me people!!!

so you'd rather do 6/7 subjects rather than a nice easy 3? that makes no sense to me im afraid.

I think A levels are a better alternative as students can choose subjects that are relevant to them and their future careers but I don't agree that A levels are "easier".

The subjects are studied in greater detail - it's not the same as simply doing 3 leaving cert subjects. I'm currently studying for 2 A levels and will have to sit eight exams to complete them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I'd prefer not to have a broad education (I feel the junior cert should be adequate in terms of broadness).

I would have preferred to study 3/4 subject in detail, rather than studying a load of other subjects I dont enjoy at all. And because I have all these subject, I'll have to re-learn everything in college as some of the stuff im learning in Chem for example, is just frankly incorrect.

The A-level system isnt as perfect as it's made out to be though.

Also I dont know who told you, but A-levels are most certainly not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

I really don't think there is any perfect exam system,each has their pros and cons.People are always going to complain anyway no matter what exam they sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

At least if you do 7/8 subjects you can screw up in a few exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Because we spent EIGHT HUNDRED YEARS trying to escape British oppression and we'll be damned if we adopt their education systems now. Next thing you know we'll be calling our private schools "public schools".

Anyway you can study for the A-levels here, some places cater for them, albeit privately. Think you have to sit them in the UK though.

Personally I prefer the LC system, I like sudying a broad range of subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

A-LEVELS!!!!!!!!

It's not "nice easy 3." You have to know the three subjects in depth and the entry requirements in British colleges for A-levels are generally either AAB or ABB. I couldn't contend with that, regardless of how many subjects I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm sorry, but the Leaving certificate is a much higher standard exam which tests students ability more than any A-Levels would. It may be internationally recognised, but tbh, it's really not worth a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Piste wrote: »
    Because we spent EIGHT HUNDRED YEARS trying to escape British oppression and we'll be damned if we adopt their education systems now. Next thing you know we'll be calling our private schools "public schools".
    Nothing to do with them being British. Just makes more sense that if you want to do Business, for example, you have to do well in business rather than English, Irish, French etc.

The EIGHT HUNDRED YEARS rant was a joke, I don't think the DOE is that nationalist :p I think maybe colleges should tailor their entry requirements more to what the course is about. Like maybe business would require at least two business subject, or history would require History and another artsy subject (maybe Geography).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

Mr.S wrote: »
    For A Levels, do you submit course work as well for your overall mark, or is it just the exams that count?

You do have to submit coursework for some subjects.
    Piste wrote: »
    Anyway you can study for the A-levels here, some places cater for them, albeit privately. Think you have to sit them in the UK though.

Yes, you do have to sit the exams in the UK.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

yes I would like to be educated in more than 3 subjects

lol dont act as though this is your motivation..

this fake nationalism is pretty old now btw, sad too..

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Just to be a sh1t stirrer (and possibly in trouble for being off-topiuc...) why can't we do the International baccalaureate?
    Apparently a very well designed exam...

You can if you want, there's an international school in Dublin.

I've looked at A-Level past exam papers online and they're not as easy as I thought. I got that wrong but I still think it's better to do 3 subjects in extreme detail rather than an long overview of 7. Eg. If you want to study Business Studies in DCU next year (which I'm currently doing) its much better if u can study these subjects in detail in secondary school, instead of wasting your time learning Irish when you're never going to use it.

AND DONT SAY 'BUT IRISH IS OUR HERITAGE/CULTURE'

Sick of hearing that to be honest. I got a C3 in higher level last year and I haven't spoken a word of it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

phic wrote: »
    Just to be a sh1t stirrer (and possibly in trouble for being off-topiuc...) why can't we do the International baccalaureate?
    Apparently a very well designed exam...

Apparently its is the most horrible system ever.

The work load is supposedly absolutely incredible!

(I have had two cousins go through the system because they lived internationally, serious amount of work involved)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 islay

A levels are not easy its a different structure you have to have a lot more indepth knowledge and be able to critically assess/think more than the leaving cert. In my opinon this is something that needs to be introduced more into the leaving. Also their is a private college in Dublin where you can do a levels and also you sit the exams their. Often pupils that go there do it as an alternative to repeating the leaving or are mature studentd.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

islay wrote: »
    you sit the exams their.

This is why Leaving Cert trumps A-Levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 islay

No I just have really bad grammar! I sat the leaving cert! ;) Back to topic a levels have faults and the system is being overhauled. The most positive aspect that I think the leaving cert should take on board is coursework as this is a useful skill for college and the workplace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Oh god this bag of worms again.

Leaving cert all the way.

The english education system is a complete failure and I'll be damned If we ever adopt such a system.

We need people to keep on the core subjects of maths and english and a broad range of others to have at least SOME skills for the working world.

I wouldn't employ some right scummy lad who only did drama studies, philosophy and enviormental management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Just so you know, the first year of A-Levels is AS-level. Students usually do at least 4 AS-Levels and then drop one (so you get an AS-level, half an A-level) and then carry the rest on to full A-Levels.

I think the A-level system as used in England, Wales and Northern Ireland is better than the systems used in the Republic of Ireland and Scotland because it better prepares students for university life. Things are covered in much more detail at A-Level.

KeyLimePie wrote: »

The english education system is a complete failure and I'll be damned If we ever adopt such a system.

We need people to keep on the core subjects of maths and english and a broad range of others to have at least SOME skills

But Maths and English are compulsory at GCSE. Students don't need more advanced Maths or English than that for most jobs. If a job does require English or Maths to an advanced level then students can do A-level, which is a better, more in-depth qualification than the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Richard wrote: »
    Just so you know, the first year of A-Levels is AS-level. Students usually do at least 4 AS-Levels and then drop one (so you get an AS-level, half an A-level) and then carry the rest on to full A-Levels.

I think the A-level system as used in England, Wales and Northern Ireland is better than the systems used in the Republic of Ireland and Scotland because it better prepares students for university life. Things are covered in much more detail at A-Level.

But what about the people who need to go into the working world ?

The <People I keep pimping> in Dublin is the only secondary school in the Republic of Ireland which caters solely for the A-Levels. You can read more by having a look at the blog on their bebo page www.bebo.com/a-levels

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    But what about the people who need to go into the working world ?

The combination of GCSEs at 16, and AS/A Levels at 18 give that. But some choose to do courses such as GNVQs, which are more vocational than A-levels.

• Advertisement

The <People I keep pimping> in Dublin is the only secondary school in the Republic of Ireland which caters solely for the A-Levels. You can read more by having a look at the blog on their bebo page www.bebo.com/a-levels

Yes we know you love the a-levels. No more need to pimp the bebo site, that's the last time you'll link to it.

Advertisement