Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight Show with Conan O' Brien

Options
  • 01-06-2009 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭

As some may know Conan o' brien takes over the tonight show in america from jay leno tonight. Looks like cnbc will also be showing it in the 30min format nightly and then the 4 extended shows on the weekend.

Can't wait personally. Was never mad into jay but always loved conans show which cnbc stopped showing at the start of the year.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

grimm2005 wrote: »
    As some may know Conan o' brien takes over the tonight show in america from jay leno tonight. Looks like cnbc will also be showing it in the 30min format nightly and then the 4 extended shows on the weekend.

Can't wait personally. Was never mad into jay but always loved conans show which cnbc stopped showing at the start of the year.

leno was over rated , far too safe , not that i saw it too often but i much perfered letterman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Looking forward to the new Tonight Show as well. Conan has been off the air for too long. Apparently Leno and the previous guy got the show for 17 years a piece so plenty of good times to look forward to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Leno has his new show, 5 days a week 90 mins before Tonight from September anyway. Kind of defeats the purpose really doesn't it! He'll snag the best guests because he's at a much better time for actors promoting, a bit of kick in the teeth for O'Brien. NBC love their chat shows don't they? Whats it gonna be, Leno at 10, Tonight at 11:30, Later after that and then Last Call from September! Bit of a joke really 5 nights a week!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Leno was good but Conan is great imo, very funny guy and really engages with (most of) the guests!

Presumably he'll still have the Max Weinberg 7 with him?

Also, im pretty sure ive checked every channel i have, but is this shown on any channels over here? I think its on CNBC twice at the weekends, but anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Presumably he'll still have the Max Weinberg 7 with him?

They still have Max but without the weinberg seven from what I could make out from the online clips. Its now Max and the tonight show band,

However they have kept Conan's old Late Night theme tune which I think is ace, albeit a slightly refreshed version. The set looks huge compared to 6A in 30 Rock.

While leno is good, Conan always came across a little less mainstream and scripted. Havent paid much attention to Jimmy Fallon since he took over Late Night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Hard to judge how the show's gonna go from last night. The opening the good, though after that Conan seemed understandably nervous. The Will Ferrell interview was alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ah no they gotta have the band theyre really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

And the audience last night were a bit too hyper aswell,kind of gets to a point where you start looking for the remote. Hopefully they can settle in to the new surroundings...and for us irish getting to LA to see the show is a little more tricky than 30 Rock! The free tickets were the cheapest evening out over there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Will Jay lenos new show be available for viewing anywhere?
    I quite like his show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Looking forward to the new Tonight Show as well. Conan has been off the air for too long. Apparently Leno and the previous guy got the show for 17 years a piece so plenty of good times to look forward to. :)

Johnny Carson was before Leno and i think he had it for 30 years :eek:

The max weinberg 7 band are still the same, just renamed max weinberg and the tonight show band

As for it airing here it will air in a shortened version 4 or 5 times during the week with the extended versions shown back to back over the weekend, just like lenos version did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

hey cool did any 1 post this on the net yet b cool if they did hahaha

I have watched it and a good show

I watched it too, and he's not as funny as leno, not by a long shot.

Leno is as funny as week old ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

The death penalty should be brought back for these type's of comments.

love conan hahahhaa :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Conan is brillant he will do better than Leno ever did

Davei141 wrote: »
    The death penalty should be brought back for these type's of comments.

Dave, Mossy, I'm entitled to my opinion like you are too. I like jay, always have. I like Conan too - but not as much as jay as I believe he's not as funny as Jay - its only an opinion I have - no need to be tools about it!:confused::D

yeah defo mate

• Advertisement

its only an opinion I have - no need to be tools about it!:confused::D

I am entitled to my opinion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Never watched the Tonight Show before because Leno was painfully unfunny, have watched Late Night occasionally but I think I'll stick with the Tonight Show this time as that first episode was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

How are things in the mirror universe?

How are things in the mirror universe?

You should know, why are you asking?:)

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I am entitled to my opinion too.

I did say you are entitled to your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Jaysus lads, they both have their own qualities, they wouldn't have made the millions they have both made if they hadn't!

I think we can all agree that they're both better than Ryan Tubridy......can't we??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I enjoyed the first two episodes of Conan's Tonight Show. There has been an increase in Lenoesque jokes but that was to be expected. It'll be interesting to see which of his regular Late Night bits will be following him and what new regular bits will be introduced in the following months. I think he needs a Headlines type bit, and his Excursions (such as picking apples with Mr. T) would fit right in to the Tonight Show mould. I'm looking forward to the "Focus Group" sketch previewed on Leno last week.

I haven't been keeping up with Jimmy Fallon, anyone know how that's ging. I think Tonight Show, Stewart and Colbert is enough for anyone to watch every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I can't believe what I'm reading here, Conan O'Brien is funny??????? I remember his rubbish show years ago, absolutely shocking. Leno is infinitely funnier and his show was much more entertaining. Conan i.e. Arnie's character had a better personallity than O'Brien. The only time I remember laughing at him was when he was on the Simpsons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Conan's doing a great job, looks like old segments will stay, he did 'In the year 2000' on Wednesday. Leno will be keeping segments like Jaywalking and Headlines on his new show, so it's unlikely Conan will do them.

Pity CNBC Europe cut the show so much, the tour of Universal Studios on Monday was hilarious and cut from the CNBC airing. It'd be nice if more stations would follow 3e and show US chat shows the next day!

• Advertisement

FrostyJack wrote: »
    I can't believe what I'm reading here, Conan O'Brien is funny??????? I remember his rubbish show years ago, absolutely shocking. Leno is infinitely funnier and his show was much more entertaining. Conan i.e. Arnie's character had a better personallity than O'Brien. The only time I remember laughing at him was when he was on the Simpsons.

I bet you have mental issues

Advertisement