Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile speed checks

Options
  • 29-05-2009 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Could you tell me was the Gatso van around the con colbert rd yesterday???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 horrible island

Is there anyone who could tell me was there speed checks on colcolbert rd to cunningham rd yesterday? If so why, when there is 920 collision prone zones in the country and this one is one of the lesser ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Could you tell me was the Gatso van around the con colbert rd yesterday???

Yeah an unmarked Gatso Van there Eastbound yesterday at about 4:30pm when I passed.

Gatso Van further out on the Chapelizod Bypass on Wednesday morning at approximately 10:30am Westbound.

I'm not from the area but I would have my doubts that these locations are accident blackspots...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Because 30,000 people run the red light there every month becuase they are going too fast?

Everywhere and anywhere can get a speed check - its just that some will get more than others.

Yeah an unmarked Gatso Van there Eastbound yesterday at about 4:30pm when I passed.

Gatso Van further out on the Chapelizod Bypass on Wednesday morning at approximately 10:30am Westbound.

I'm not from the area but I would have my doubts that these locations are accident blackspots...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

KevR wrote: »

Just speeding blackspots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I also noticed a marked car sitting in the laneway around 100 metres before Texaco/The Foxhunter on the way to work and the way home yesterday.

In reply to Victor

That figure of 30,000 is that an official figure? I use the road everyday I never see drivers running a red light there - funnily enough. As you mention running red lights I see it everyday at the junction of concolbert rd and the south circular rd - about 1000 yards further on. I also see cars wizzing past me way over the speed limit at this junction!!!!!
    I also see at this strech of road - every other day - cars turning right here when they are not supposed to. So to say that there is something unique about where the Gatso van was yesterday is strange - to say the least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Someone who works in the guards said to be that there is always more out towards the end of the month because they are meant to meet certain targets. Im presuming she wasn't making it up

great country caching people going to and from work. they say not to be cynical about the gards.............

I thought government were the only ones able to look for revenue........

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Davy wrote: »
    Someone who works in the guards said to be that there is always more out towards the end of the month because they are meant to meet certain targets. Im presuming she wasn't making it up

My understanding is that there is no offical line but if your seeing to be not doing them or low number, expect a wrap across the knuckles.

• Advertisement

That figure of 30,000 is that an official figure? I use the road everyday I never see drivers running a red light there - funnily enough. As you mention running red lights I see it everyday at the junction of concolbert rd and the south circular rd - about 1000 yards further on. I also see cars wizzing past me way over the speed limit at this junction!!!!!
    Ah, I'm confusing my junctions then.

Yeah heard something similar myself. Might as well set up an atm at the side of the road.

Just cant believe how bad this country is, its unique. No other western european country has such a blantant way of collecting road tax.

Are way Gatsos are deployed in Ireland - where they are not needed - only specic to Ireland or does other countries also use similar tactics. I know the UK has a lot of problems but at the very least they have proper signage and roads..............

Gatso posts moved from "What are they doing with the N4?" thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055339964&page=22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Yeah heard something similar myself. Might as well set up an atm at the side of the road.

Just cant believe how bad this country is, its unique. No other western european country has such a blantant way of collecting road tax.

Are way Gatsos are deployed in Ireland - where they are not needed - only specic to Ireland or does other countries also use similar tactics. I know the UK has a lot of problems but at the very least they have proper signage and roads..............

thats just nonsense...stick to the speed limits and you wont have a problem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

corktina wrote: »

People find it difficult to grasp this for some reason

In reply to Corktina

Yes I do but you miss the point. What is the POINT placing a mobile speed check in a place where there is virtually no problem?

I presume you drive, if so, does it not make your blood boil when you see this speed check about 1000 meters away from where it should be?

Also not sure if you know the area I am talking about? Its a bit trite saying oh stick to the speed limit, as I said I do, yet can you also tell me why there is a 80KM speed limit on probably one of the best stretches of road in the country (please note I always observe this) this then reduces to 60KM in a matter of 100 yards (again I always observe this, eventhough the sign is twice the size of an A4 page). THIS IS THE STRETCH OF ROAD I AM TALKING ABOUT.....

i dont miss your point at all...the point really is your post was nonsense....go on to any equivalent UK site or probably in any country and you will see the same rants. The limit is there, right or wrong, if you break it it costs you.

I dont know the road you refer to, maybe there is a reason for the limit you havent noticed . The 80 k sign is to slow you down gradually fro the 60 k limit ahead I would think.

just to say again its not about speed (speed is a serious issue) its all about right time right place.

Speed could be tackled with consistent enforcement. Just to drive this home (excuse the pun) there is a fixed speed camera at the "dangerous" junction I am talking about though ..... wait for it, yes, its turned off.

As for saying its nonsence yes totally I aggree with you but as I said I drive this road everyday and I can confidently say that virtually every road user exceeds the speed limit, really the N4 Con Colbert Road is a disaster and putting a mobile speed trap in the wrong place without consistent enforcment adds insut to injury..

There you go again.

You really have to forgive me but your reply - without knowing the facts - is confused to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

If so why, when there is 920 collision prone zones in the country and this one is one of the lesser ones.
    Because people are afraid of being detected for speeding there?

• Advertisement

How do you mean?

There you go again.

You really have to forgive me but your reply - without knowing the facts - is confused to say the least.

im sorry to have confused you.

kearnsr wrote: »
    People find it difficult to grasp this for some reason
    i dont miss your point at all...the point really is your post was nonsense....go on to any equivalent UK site or probably in any country and you will see the same rants. The limit is there, right or wrong, if you break it it costs you.

I dont know the road you refer to, maybe there is a reason for the limit you havent noticed . The 80 k sign is to slow you down gradually fro the 60 k limit ahead I would think.

I think some people have a tendancy to be very dismissive of anyone who feels aggrieved about getting a speeding fine where it might be a genuine case of a speed limit being too low.

Why are there wrong speed limits at all? There shouldn't be wrong speed limits, simple as that. Some speed limits need to be raised and some need to be lowered. As long as speed limits are wrong, you will have people feeling hard done by about getting fines.
    So if people complaining about fines on roads where there are wrong low limits bothers you, why don't you write to local councils where the speed limit is wrong and request that it be changed, rather than continually put people down when they complain? Also, write to local councils where limits are too high and then we won't have any situations where people can legally kill themselves. :)

There's no need for some people to act holier than thou as if they've never crept over the limit. Everyone has at some stage or another. Just because you haven't been unlucky enough to have been caught doesn't mean you to haven't 'exceeded a speed limit and broken the law' and doesn't give you the right to dismiss people (as though they are thick and can't understand that if you go over the limit you will get fined) when they give a perfectly valid suggestion as to where a speed trap might be better alternatively located or if a speed limit at a certain should be higher.

apology not needed. Though if you want a good laugh drive the stretch of road from the Chapelizod bypass (approx 2KM long) all the way to Concolbert Rd (at 80KM) to Cunnyngham Rd (at 60KM).

The stepdown from 80KM to 60KM is instantaneous, the traffic lights are approx 150 meters beyond the 60KM sign. Note the stretch from Chapelizod bypass to Cunnyngham Rd is probably one of the best and safest in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

That place is notorious for speedtraps, my other half got caught there a couple of years ago with 2 points added to licence
    Same for the Foxhunter at Lucan, the Navan Rd, the Finglas rd at the village under the bridge, the M1 between the tunnel and the M50, Stillorgan rd, Ballymun Rd etc, these traps are so predictable.

Do the Gardai have any intuition to put speedtraps elsewhere where there is regular dangerous speeding?
    We all know roads where regular speeding takes place and you'd be lucky to see a garda around!

KevR wrote: »
    I think some people have a tendancy to be very dismissive of anyone who feels aggrieved about getting a speeding fine where it might be a genuine case of a speed limit being too low.

Why are there wrong speed limits at all? There shouldn't be wrong speed limits, simple as that. Some speed limits need to be raised and some need to be lowered. As long as speed limits are wrong, you will have people feeling hard done by about getting fines.
    So if people complaining about fines on roads where there are wrong low limits bothers you, why don't you write to local councils where the speed limit is wrong and request that it be changed, rather than continually put people down when they complain? Also, write to local councils where limits are too high and then we won't have any situations where people can legally kill themselves. :)

There's no need for some people to act holier than thou as if they've never crept over the limit. Everyone has at some stage or another. Just because you haven't been unlucky enough to have been caught doesn't mean you to haven't 'exceeded a speed limit and broken the law' and doesn't give you the right to dismiss people (as though they are thick and can't understand that if you go over the limit you will get fined) when they give a perfectly valid suggestion as to where a speed trap might be better alternatively located or if a speed limit at a certain should be higher.

KevR

Thanks for that.

I'm genuinely glad there is at least one other observant individual left on this Island - please dont take that as patronism. Thanks for actually taking the time to understand and not dismiss out of hand, in my opinion a perfectly valid point. To dismiss this without getting the basic facts right really is worrying.

I disaggree with excessive speed as much as the next person but to be so inconsiderate really is not surprising, with the course this country took in the last two decades.

Really at the end of the day councils and committies dont change things its down to individuals.

Some of the replies to this thread are testament to me why this country is back to front and upside down; its due to individuals who dismiss a perfectly valid suggestions which may - only may mind - go some way to improve things.

I genuinely cant believe some of the replies to this thread. I have driven all over Ireland, the UK, the States and many parts of Europe and I have never experienced the level of bare faced ignorance which is now commonplace on the roads of this counrty - especially Dublin. (It seems that bullying is a weird art form).

It has been repeated again here by certain individuals. No wonder the country is the way it is.

Ignorance is not only a pastime on this windswept island now, it seems to be a rite of passage.

If a considered and genuine observation can't be taken on board and discussed rationaly then I think that says it all.

The speed check I was talking about was not only in the wrong place, it was also in a dangerous place. It was so positioned that it could'nt be seen by motorists until they were virtually beside it. This would have the effect of making the driver jam on their brakes, no matter if they were exceeding the speed limit or not.

I really thought I did'nt have to mention this, I mistakenly thought, that some individuals could read between the lines. Obviously not. Commonsence has left a long time ago seemingly.

At the thought of labouring the POINT too much but for those who have difficulty understanding what I am saying, my gripe is not, repeat not, speed but the way it is managed and dealth in this juristiction. If an individual cant make an observation about this, without running risk of been classed as an outcast then there is no hope for this small country.

Genuinely I have talked to numerous people from different countries who cant make head nor tail of the transport network in ths state. If it cant be discussed then switch the lights out when you leave.

gurramok wrote: »
    That place is notorious for speedtraps, my other half got caught there a couple of years ago with 2 points added to licence
    Same for the Foxhunter at Lucan, the Navan Rd, the Finglas rd at the village under the bridge, the M1 between the tunnel and the M50, Stillorgan rd, Ballymun Rd etc, these traps are so predictable.

Do the Gardai have any intuition to put speedtraps elsewhere where there is regular dangerous speeding?
    We all know roads where regular speeding takes place and you'd be lucky to see a garda around!

gurramok

To answer your question I dont think they do. Why dont they consistently enforce?

Because they don't have the resources to do it so they resort to their usual haunts on the main national roads to get their targets.

gurramok wrote: »
    Because they don't have the resources to do it so they resort to their usual haunts on the main national roads to get their targets.

Maybe so but they had the resources to buy 8 new Gatsos last sept. Why not buy more static cameras and put them in the blackspots. If there serious?

• Advertisement

The economy(public finances) have deteriorated seriously since Sept when they were bought.

Garda overtime has reduced since then hence less surveillance on the roads. Funnily enough, i have not seen a drink-drive checkpoint in nearly a year now on my regular route cross city, i used to come across them so frequent, it just sends out the wrong message now.(same for speeders)

Advertisement