Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the longest you've gone without sleep?

Options
  • 28-05-2009 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Just starting the first exam in my finals tomorrow. Only realised yesterday how behind I am on revising a few of the topics so I pulled an all-nighter last night and worked in the 24h study room. Looks like I might have to do the same again tonight before sitting the exam tomorrow at 9.30am.

A couple weeks ago just before my thesis was due I did the same- stayed up for 2 nights in a row and then when I submitted it I went on the lash till 4am that morning by which time I was bushed. I had been awake for just under 68 hours before finally slamming into bed for a rejuvenating 12 hour kip....bliss :)

So whats the longest you've ever gone without sleep?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

48 hours during which time I was smoking joints then I got drunk and went to a Bell X1 concert... earned myself a nice bout of tonsilitis from that little adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably no more than 40 hours while camping as a teenager. Got up at 8amish, stayed up all that night messing around, found myself almost falling asleep in the sittign position around 3am the next night (which I never do). So what's that...43 hours.

I've done the all night thing a couple of times. Generally I find I'm OK till around midday, but then I feel like I have a cold and I'm just completely unfocussed, like I'm in a bubble. Even 3 hours kip in a night will sort this, but all nighters just don't work for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

4/5 days. Work related.
    Got home then collapsed for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

70-odd hours whilst my wife was having a very complicated induced labour last week.

For various medical reasons the hospital needed me to be with her all the time.

The only lasting effects are that my legs really, really hurt for some odd reason.

BTW It was a boy and mother and child are doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

79 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

72 hours drinking and gaming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Electric picnic a few years ago. I woke up the Friday morning to go to the thing and I didnt get to sleep till I got home on the Monday so...eh, that many hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cormb

about 40 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

Without the aid of illegal substances, i'd struggle to make 24 hours. But during my 20 i would have been awake for 2, 3 or 4 days regularly.
    Very damaging to the body and mind though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

newname wrote: »
    Without the aid of illegal substances, i'd struggle to make 24 hours. But during my 20 i would have been awake for 2, 3 or 4 days regularly.
    Very damaging to the body and mind though.

Tell me about it, Im on my 4th can of Lidl's cheapo (49c!) version of Red Bull. According to the label each can contains 500% of my RDA of Vitamin B12. So I'm up to 2000% in less than 36 hours....christ :eek:

Gives me wiiiiinggs though :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

grundie wrote: »
    70-odd hours whilst my wife was having a very complicated induced labour last week.

For various medical reasons the hospital needed me to be with her all the time.

The only lasting effects are that my legs really, really hurt for some odd reason.

BTW It was a boy and mother and child are doing well.

Congrats!

back on topic...

around about 36 / 38 hours myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

24hrs.... I'm an amateur compared to some of the posters in ere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

Just starting the first exam in my finals tomorrow. Only realised yesterday how behind I am on revising a few of the topics so I pulled an all-nighter last night and worked in the 24h study room. Looks like I might have to do the same again tonight before sitting the exam tomorrow at 9.30am.

RATM,

I just read your op again and i would def say to you not to stay up all night before an important exam.

I did that in the late 90's, not because I wanted to but because my flatmates had a bit of a party in the house the night before my exam and I was awake all night.

I went into college early the next morning to study before the exam. I realised how tired I was and I panicked. I tried to get an hours sleep in one of the spare rooms but couldn't sleep.

I barely passed that exam and ended up with a 2.2, missed the 2.1 by a couple of percent.

When I think about it i am still angry with them inconsiderate flatmates.

Make sure you sleep!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Devil5434

About 40 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

36 Hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Yes thanks op i think you have just given me an idea how to spend this weekend. just finished my exams:D how would starting tomorow sleep maybe mid day monday sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

around the 40hr mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

strange that this topic has popped up.

was up for 60 hours til i got some sleep this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

About 30 hours with only some coffee as a stimulant. My friends and I decided to see how long we could stay awake for. Towards the end, we started to go insane, laughing at literally nothing and talking about weird things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

60 hours. Never going to guantanamo again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

About 40 hours when I was flying to Australia. Had a 10 hour stopover in Hong Kong :rolleyes:

Probably did about the same when playing poker in Vegas as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

My first night in Glastonbury two years ago, I was in a herbal remedies shop, and they had this stuff called a "Stay Awake shot". I was feeling a little tired, so I decided to give it a go. It was a murky brown grainy liquid, like if you made coffee without a filter. I've no idea what was in it, but I couldn't get one bit of sleep the whole festival for 3 nights. Horrible. I was hearing voices by the end of it.
    So that's about 85 hours. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

38 hours.Felt like a walking corpse.The fact that I'd also spent quite a bit of those 36 hours drinking didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Probably did about the same when playing poker in Vegas as well.

around 50-60 hours, blame Vegas too, can't even remember the helicopter ride into the canyon :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

RATM wrote: »

A couple weeks ago just before my thesis was due I did the same- stayed up for 2 nights in a row and then when I submitted it I went on the lash till 4am that morning by which time I was bushed. I had been awake for just under 68 hours before finally slamming into bed for a rejuvenating 12 hour kip....bliss :)

So whats the longest you've ever gone without sleep?

Even if you did know everything for your exam, but got no sleep the night before it, you'd be fooked!

I'd recommend an early night, a decent night's sleep and then if needs be, get up early the morning of your exam and start cramming!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I made it to 5 days once.

Was working on a musical and had a limited amount of studio time that I had to use.

Think the world record is 11 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Unaided? Thats pretty impressive.

36hrs for me but thats aided. I'dd fall asleep every 4hrs if I didnt have hel........zzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Woke up at 10am on Thursday and got to sleep on Sunday about 11pm.....feckin birthdays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

WindSock wrote: »
    Unaided? Thats pretty impressive.

Pretty sure it was before Red Bull was invented too.

Advertisement