Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parkingtag.ie

Options
  • 28-05-2009 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭

Anyone use parkingtag.ie for parking around Dublin?

One of my mates now lives in an area with 24h metered parking and so having enough change for a few hours is always a problem.

Saw the ad for parkingtag.ie on the side of the meter last night and thought it might be a good idea. Any comments? I see there is an 'Administration charge' mentioned on the website, but there doesn't seem to be any indication of how much it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

don't know about that one but I use Mpark.com its available some of the city centre (map on website) basically you register your credit card and at the meter ring the phone number and give the meter number.

That activates the meter and you use the +/- buttons to say how much parking you want in €1 increments up to the max allowed (3 hours) for that area.

The call is the only additional charge and it takes about 15 seconds.

I find it very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Thanks-but Mpark doesn't cover most of the areas where I need to park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I usually feed the meter all day when 3 hours is the maximum I should be parked in one spot. Given that they will now know all my parking details won't they now have evidence to clamp me after 3 hours, even if I've paid up?

Might not suit all day parking....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

manc wrote: »
    don't know about that one but I use Mpark.com its available some of the city centre (map on website) basically you register your credit card and at the meter ring the phone number and give the meter number.

That activates the meter and you use the +/- buttons to say how much parking you want in €1 increments up to the max allowed (3 hours) for that area..
    When you say it "activates" the meter, is there any indication on the meter itself to show you've paid, which would, I assume, imply that the meters were networked somehow, or is it reliant on the traffic warden/whoever checking with some central system using some kind of hand-held wireless device? Just curious.

Alun wrote: »
    When you say it "activates" the meter, is there any indication on the meter itself to show you've paid, which would, I assume, imply that the meters were networked somehow, or is it reliant on the traffic warden/whoever checking with some central system using some kind of hand-held wireless device? Just curious.

you print off the ticket from the meter, but are using you CC rather than coins, note on my first post that thie is Mpark not the Tag system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

gdoyle1 wrote: »
    it is .50c per month per tag which is good for the service you get from it. this fee only applies to an account which is linked to your credit/debit card card

I presume you mean 50c/€0.50 and not 0.50c which would indeed by good value!
    gdoyle1 wrote:
    Parking tag is now available city wide so you can use it in any DCC parking bay you don't have to go to the meter all you need do is send a text or call an IVR (phone system)

Are texts charged at operator's standard rate and are phone calls free or lo-call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Are texts charged at operator's standard rate and are phone calls free or lo-call?

SMS's are charged at your service provider's normal cost.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

gdoyle1 wrote: »
    Sounding like an advertisement.... you can register on parkingtag.ie or by phone 0818 300 161

Do you guys have a normal 01/021/where-ever number people can call rather then the crappy "locall" 0818 numbers.

"0818" numbers are usually not included in free national calls packages that people have on their mobile or landlines and are very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

bk wrote: »
    Do you guys have a normal 01/021/where-ever number people can call rather then the crappy "locall" 0818 numbers.

You can register online and activate the tag there instead of calling the number listed.

gdoyle1,

the info@parkingtag.ie email given on the website does not appear to work, as I got mail delivery failed

Do you know if mpark customers will be automatically moved over to parkingtag
    automatically?

You may not be able to answer this but will mpark customers be advised that the service is been removed?

• Advertisement

thanks for your replies gdoyle, just a couple of more for you....

1) What is the cost of the Cash tags and is there a top up fee?

2) I can't find it on the website but am I correct in thinking that when you park, you then Ring/Text a number, give the Zone and How long\much you want to park for? The tag is already activated by ringing\texting with the tag number and reg number. If this is missing from the website it really should be added.

3) If parking is max of 3 hours can you park for more?

thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Presumably the 50c fee (mentioned in your blog) covers the credit card charges? I could be flippant and point out that MOL charges €5 for the same ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You could be flippant if you want, but the fact is that Mick doesn't currently accept payment in 10c pieces, nor does he maintain and operate a dispersed network of ticket issuing machines.

What he has done, however, is effectively get rid of manual check-in.

Collecting and counting cash costs a lot of money. The bank charges are typically 50c/100 euros. Collecting costs, as does counting and bagging.

There is also commission to be paid if customers buy credit in a shop. This is going to amount to a couple of percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ì liked mPark - I don't live in Dublin and only occasionally park in the City Centre. MPark meant I could park without needing cash and there was (IIRC) no monthly fee - its a shame it was never expanded nationally.

This new system sounds like a backwards step - there's no way I'm paying 50c a month for a system I might use once or twice a year.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Ì liked mPark - I don't live in Dublin and only occasionally park in the City Centre. MPark meant I could park without needing cash and there was (IIRC) no monthly fee - its a shame it was never expanded nationally.

This new system sounds like a backwards step - there's no way I'm paying 50c a month for a system I might use once or twice a year.

I'd have to agree with your here as i'd be the same, but there is a Payasyougo option which costs €3.99 but going by the parking tag website you might get €5 credit, not sure if it applies to the payasyougo option.

@antoinolachtnai, your little piece sums up whats wrong with this and all the missing pieces from the Parkingtag.ie website well

the detail in the dublincity.ie explains what customers need to know easily and simply

http://www.dublincity.ie/Press/PressReleases/PressReleasesMay2009/Documents/Retail%20Leaflet.pdf

also

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/MajorTransportProjects/CashlessParking/Pages/CashlessParkingPressPack.aspx

@gdoyle1, thanks for the responses, it would be worth looking at antoinolachtnai link incorporating it and the dublincity details into parkingtag.ie.

If Dublin CC were serious about this then there should be a reduced parking cost (10%), with free tags, free account maintenance, no charge for credit on the pay as you go option and possibly even a free or at least reduced rate call to say where you are parked. After all they are saving on on servicing meters, printing tickets, etc. But then again there would be no money for someone else to make.

It might also be useful with this type of system if multiple phones can be added to a tag or multiple cars can be added to a tag as a lot of households have multiple cars and drivers.
    At least with Mpark it didn't matter whos car you were in which made it more useful.

manc wrote: »
    If Dublin CC were serious about this then there should be a reduced parking cost, with free tags, free account maintenance, no charge for credit on the pay as you go option and possibly even a free or at least reduced rate call to say where you are parked. After all they are saving on on servicing meters, printing tickets, etc.

You mean they should absorb the costs of paying software developers, maintaining and running servers in a data centre, paying Eircom for leased lines, having staff on call to respond to problems, paying staff in call centres, paying the banks for accepting credit cards, etc, etc? I think you're being a bit unrealistic in your expectations - these things cost money.

Likewise, if DCC wanted to give out tags free of charge, why would any shop agree to stock them? They're not running shops as a community service and would flatly refuse.

As far as I know, the monthly fee only applies to credit card accounts and not to cash accounts topped up at Payzone shops.

markpb wrote: »
    You mean they should absorb the costs of paying software developers, maintaining and running servers in a data centre, paying Eircom for leased lines, having staff on call to respond to problems, paying staff in call centres, paying the banks for accepting credit cards, etc, etc? I think you're being a bit unrealistic in your expectations - these things cost money.

No, the money from the parking fee that would have gone to meter maintenace/printing tickets/collecting money/etc would probably cover the costs.

I also said if not free then reduced (10-20%) would encourage people to use it.

Slightly off topic, but as with the new smart cards being introduced on bus/rail you don't get a price reduction but other highly sucessfull (i.e. Oyster in the uk) sytems do this.

Likewise, if DCC wanted to give out tags free of charge, why would any shop agree to stock them? They're not running shops as a community service and would flatly refuse.

Give the tags free from council offices or even shops (which are giving the tags free to Account users just not the payasyougo user), the shops would make the money from increased shop traffic and top ups similar to the way they deal with mobile phone companies or any other such.

As far as I know, the monthly fee only applies to credit card accounts and not to cash accounts topped up at Payzone shops.

yes you are correct but there may be a charge when topping up the tag, similar to the one mobile phone companies had, which was then removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 wolrabp

I think 50c a month is acceptable considering you won't have to fish for change or go near a meter. Also there is no charge for topping up in a store as far as I am aware.

Similarly EazyPass charge 1 euro a month for account maintenance and personally I think this is acceptable, you are paying for the convenience of not having to fumble for change and sometimes get through the toll much more quickly...

Just my 2 cents....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There is no extra charge to pay EUR2 by credit card at the luas park'n'ride carparks. Dublin city council charge enough to take this hit if you ask me, they are charging the same per hour as commercial carparks who include VAT at 21.5% in their fees, while the corpo don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 philiph

Hi,

There is a ParkMagic(.net) parking tag system in operation in Limerick(2005) and Cork(2008). The same tag works in both cities and also if you have a tolltag.ie tag for toll roads it works on the same account (and vice versa). In both Cork and Limerick the tags are free and come with 5 credit. They are distributed either online or in shops. Shops are generally agreeable to distribute them as when the tag is topped up they get their margin then.

On the surcharges, I personally dont agree with them but thats just me, yes it costs to run a mobile payment system but likewise it costs to maintain ticket machines. I don't imagine the response would be too favorable if a ticket machine asked you for an extra 50c a month to maintain them. It's not unreasonable to assume that the running costs are covered from the parking amount paid othersiwe you are looking at a defacto increase in the price paid to park

Ultimately, I guess, it's up to an individual council to decide how they will price any service they offer and up to the public to decide whether that is acceptable or not

Just to fess up, I've already declared my interests on boards.ie but I do work for ParkMagic and the disclaimer is the views expressed are personal...etc etc:)!

/Philiph

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭alanc2003

I know its only 50c a month but its just another rip off, are we not paying enough for parking as it is!! If parkmagic in limerick dont charge why do we in Dublin have too??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I just got one of these - They're 50 cent a month, are they? Good God.

I got mine because I was trying to help an unfortunate Wexford man who visits Dublin perhaps once every three months. He'd got one and it wouldn't let him register - kept saying "invalid details", even though he taxes his car online.

So I got one and went home and tried, it and got the same message.

I can't see anything on the leaflet about a 50 cent a month charge - am I missing it, or is it not mentioned?

What I did notice was that you can only top up to a *minimum* value of €20. That's twenty good-looking smackers of yours that they have to buy bank stocks with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kosta

It seems to me that this system is sadly over-engineered. Tags that you stick to your windscreen that are sent by post? Seriously? What is the purpose of that?

There is a completely tag-less system present in Cork where you simply send an SMS to a number with your reg plate number and you're sorted! A system like that is also present in my home town (capital of Croatia). You simply send an SMS to a number that corresponds to the zone you are parked in. The balance is taken off your phone directly. That means no "account maintenance" charges, no top-up, no stupid windscreen tags, no post, you don't pay for sms reminders (20c charge for parking tag) etc.

Not to mention the fact that by having tags that are registered to your car you also have to go through the hassle of re-requesting it and re-activating it every time you change your car.

So, if simpler (and cheaper) systems are deployed in different cities in Ireland and around the world already, why step back and invest into something that's obviously lacking from the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rud Annamh

Not only over-engineered, but very poorly explained on the Payzone.ie website - there is absolutely NO mention whatsoever on the website of parking!

(or none that a reasonably intelligent 12+ hours a day online person could find in a reasonable time frame....)

There are 11 "products" listed, but no parking tag amongst them. Their old website parkingtag.ie does explain it, plus the links posted by manc, but if it weren't for boards.ie, they'd have lost me as a customer... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rud Annamh

And another thing....

The 'salutation' options are 'Mr / Mrs / Miss / Dr' - no 'Ms'

OK, so it's not a required field, and normally I'm not rushing out to burn the bra, but it's just annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Andrew Campbell

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but i've just registered and although its nearly a year later, the system is still IMO overly complicated, I hope I can remember what to do when I try to use it.

What i would like is an open (up to three hours) ticket that you can end when you are finished, like the luas smart card system. The number of times I've paid for an hour only to find that i'm finished early or the place i was going was closed.
    That facility alone would more than compensate for the monthly charges.

multiple phones for the same tag would also be nice as I often use my wife's car.

anyhow i still have to use my tag yet....hopefully it will be worth the initial trouble

What i would like is an open (up to three hours) ticket that you can end when you are finished, like the luas smart card system. The number of times I've paid for an hour only to find that i'm finished early or the place i was going was closed.
    That facility alone would more than compensate for the monthly charges.

It would be a very handy feature but I can see people forgetting to tag off and complaining when they get a massive bill or people running out of credit and complaining when they get clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭larry1

I use it all the time now, fantastic service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

I agree with many posters and the comments of many Dubliners. Parking Tag is unnecessarily over-complicated and poorly thought out. But the main problem with Parking Tag is the hidden charges and there are a lot of them. My advice - stay away.

Advertisement