Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Art (pic heavy)

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Adam Khor

Rubecula wrote: »
    The picture of Pristichampsus. It seems to show it has bitten his vital bits off.

I'll get me coat:o

By the way you could make moneyout of your talent (which is better than this guys anyway)

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/83/

Could be a good money spinner as a sideline if you can get them published.

Oooh I see... XD Wouldn´t there be much more blood though? :D

And thanks! I am trying to get published, and I'm also selling some art. Having my critters in a book or comic or something is one of my goals :>

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Adam Khor

Just uploaded a new pic, it's a couple of Omeisaurus. Based them off some Gregory Paul reconstructions and they look really, really weird. Next time I'm basing them only on my imagination XD

omeisaurus_by_hodarinundu-d3g4ldp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 Rubecula

To be honest I think they were more likely to have had a horizontal stance not an upright one. Moving heads from side to side not high up in the air.

Just my own impression though, not a fact.

Rubecula wrote: »
    To be honest I think they were more likely to have had a horizontal stance not an upright one. Moving heads from side to side not high up in the air.

Just my own impression though, not a fact.

Yeah, that seems to be the current idea but I'm not really convinced... I have noticed that in many ancient ecosystems there were different kinds of sauropods with different neck lenghts. I can´t imagine how they avoided competition with each other unless they were feeding at different heights just the same way gerenuks and giraffes avoid competing with other herbivores. Omeisaurus looks like a high level browser to me, although of course I'm no expert :>

Also, I don´t think sauropods (at least most of them) carried their necks horizontally. Seems to me that it would be a waste, when they could use their long neck to watch their surroundings for potential food sources or predators, as well as other sauropods, wouldn´t that be an advantage?
    Also, seems to me that a sauropod carrying its neck horizontally would be in dire danger of its throat being bitten by a predator; to avoid this the sauropod would have to lift its neck fairly quickly, which, if it wasn´t adapted already to carry its neck upright, would probably cause it to have a stroke or something. :(

So, my view is that sauropods carried their neck upright just like modern day mammals and birds (I think they recently published a study that confirmed this, didn´t they?) and that they had adaptations that allowed them to lift or lower their head freely without fainting or dying as a result (which always seemed like a stupid idea to me). But like I said, I am no expert and this probably deserves another thread haha :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ✭✭✭ newyorker87

These are incredible!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,747 ✭✭✭✭ Galvasean

Trip down memory lane. Anyone remember that crummy paint feature on that old social networking site called Bebo? Well, a few scribbles from way back when...

20923614a2642675208b641841634l.jpg
    20923614a5298201363l.jpg
    20923614a5490274343l.jpg
    20923614a6839484755l.jpg

and finally...
    20923614a4075102994b801774514l.jpg

Just thought I'd post up an iconic illustration by one of my favourite palaeontologists, Robert T. Bakker.

Pristichampus
    pristichampsus.jpg&sa=X&ei=VvZUTprvC9S4hAfQuuSWBg&ved=0CAYQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNF_I80s7Cq-tzjzblKWMQtsZu1LWw

Galvasean wrote: »
    Just thought I'd post up an iconic illustration by one of my favourite palaeontologists, Robert T. Bakker.

Pristichampus
    pristichampsus.jpg&sa=X&ei=VvZUTprvC9S4hAfQuuSWBg&ved=0CAYQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNF_I80s7Cq-tzjzblKWMQtsZu1LWw

Yeah, great artist Mr. Bakker... guess it helps being one of the few paleontologists with imagination XD

Now that i have your attention Mr. Khor, how about a link to your Deviant art page? ;)

Galvasean wrote: »
    Now that i have your attention Mr. Khor, how about a link to your Deviant art page? ;)

Ask and thou shall receive :D

http://hodarinundu.deviantart.com/

Enjoy. Just... keep in mind some stuff is QUITE old XD

• Advertisement
Advertisement