Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed limit on a "dead end" residential country lane

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

SeanW wrote: »
    I thought the principal benefit of speed limits was to save lives and give consideration to large volumes of non motorist road users, where such is common?
    Yes, but the principal benefit comes only if people respect them and drive at an appropriate speed below it. The immediate benefit is that it is a way of measuring compliance.
    SeanW wrote: »
    You're suggesting that we do, or should, make silly and arbitrary laws just to see who obeys them?
    I am merely suggesting that observing a speed limit is a test of discipline and we should not open the way for arguments that exceeding a limit was 'perfectly safe' because the driver had advanced training or any other such excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

corktina wrote: »
    what do you propose tehn? an intermediate category between R and N at 80k with all lesser roads at 60k...you (plural) wouldnt be happy with that would you?

All R and L roads should be reviewed with speed limits being put up and down where warranted.

Having all the sections of the old interurbans at 80kph is mindless especially considering that the traffic on these roads has been reduced greatly since the corresponding new sections have been opened.

I am merely suggesting that observing a speed limit is a test of discipline and we should not open the way for arguments that exceeding a limit was 'perfectly safe' because the driver had advanced training or any other such excuses.

Which of course is the arguement behind Gardai being able to break speed limits during emergencies.

Hell I've seen people here argue on the behalf of a Garda who drove 100kph contra flow down a motorway on the basis that they are trained to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

trouble is with putting UP a speed limit...100 k doesnt seem very fast when you are pointing the right way....

aND AS FOR THE "iM PERFECTLY SAFE TO DRIVE AT 100/120/140 WHATEVER///" arguement, well you (plural) may be but what about that git about to pull out in front of you with out looking./who has a couple too many/ has a dangerous car/who has had a blowout (whatever)

80 k for a non N road is GENERALLY fast enough and 100 k for a non-dual carriageway N road is fast enough too...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tonc76 wrote: »
    This made me laugh

On a serious note the reason that these roads are 80km/h is that all roads from Regional to Local were rebadged as 80 as part of the changeover to metric limits in 2005. The Local Authority can apply to the Minister for Transport for a special speed limit to be applied to the road (which is lower than the current limit)
    Its much simpler than that - the council can adopt a bye-law. They only need to consult with the NRA if its a national route.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Its much simpler than that - the council can adopt a bye-law. They only need to consult with the NRA if its a national route.

Does that also apply to stretches of National routes passing through urban areas ?

Advertisement