Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Debadging - why?

Options
  • 26-05-2009 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Why do people debadge cars?

Is it to disguise that they have a cheaply specified car or is it because they have a fast expensive model that they do not want stolen?

....or is it something to do with modesty, aesthetics, embarrassment, .....?

Seems like an odd thing to do!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Some people don't want it to be clear that their car is a high spec expensive car.

Others do it simply because it makes the car look better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Embarrassingly big or embarrassingly small , thats why. You dont see many folk de-badging a mondeo :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've always debadged, I just don't see the need to advertise what's under the bonnet. Used to have a Mk2 Golf 16v GTI with 'Golf CL' on the back, it made driving much more hassle-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I've read on here before about people even rebadging cars such as M5 as a 520d to avoid unwanted attention from thieves but anyone who knows anything about cars can usually tell anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Uncle did it with his RS2000 (not cossie)

1 - to prevent theft
    2 - stop people acting like idiots when they see what it is

I'll probably do it myself in a few years when I get an Alpina Coupe

At least debadging is better then sticking "Type R" everywhere on a 1.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I debadged mine because it was a 1.9 TDi badge but the car was remapped so it was not a 1.9TDi.

I did not put another badge on. Limerick Man can confirm he saw no badge on my car.

Maybe I will put a 2.7 TDi badge on it for the LOL's of it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

At least debadging is better then sticking "Type R" everywhere on a 1.4

I dunno, i seen a 1.4 astra and it was a 'GTI - Type R - turbo' and it only looked the biz :pac:

I did actualy see this...and it has two back spoilers. must have been very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The engine size is on the tax disc anyway - surely every would-be thief knows that!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Berty wrote: »
    I did not put another badge on. Limerick Man can confirm he saw no badge on my car.

Confirmed.:D

I debadged mine, but I didn't remove an engine size to make it look like it was a bigger engine, I just removed the "Golf". Why? Because it was a quick and easy mod and I think it looks well.

I know of a few people with the likes Anan1 and his previous GTI. Taking off the "GTI" badge for a hassle-"wanna race me?"-free life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I debadged mine because it was a 1.9 TDi badge but the car was remapped so it was not a 1.9TDi.

I'm afraid re-mapping a 1.9Tdi doesn't mean it's no longer a 1.9Tdi, just means it's a re-mapped 1.9Tdi.

We have a few people request it, mainly on lower spec cars so the neighbours can't tell. But a couple of years ago I did get a 535d debadged.

I occasionaly see a de-badged 318 around, but since the reg is 03LH318 I think most people will know what it is :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Why does remapping the car change the fact that it's 1.9TDi? Mine is debadged A4 TDi remapped to 170bhp but I'm not too pushed whether it's badged or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

Debaging...

How many BMW 520's and 116's have had it done. That said, if I ever bought that 135i I've been wanting, I'd replace the 135 with a 116... just because because.... (I'm a fan of sleepers, and a smallish family car with rear-drive and 300bhp is one hell of a sleeper)

It's not illegal if it's still registered/taxed as a 3-litre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

:rolleyes:

What is it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

thats why i would never want an oldish Merc,especially after seening the Ms Doubtfire film:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I know a family who had a 520d with a 54o badge even though you could still see the dull oval single tailpipe, and a Cooper, with a Cooper S badge, despite the fact that the S had a bonnet scoop and twin exhausts.

Personally, I think debadging is a great thing. Those who know don't need to show I think the saying goes, and it's all over Germany, you see serious machines with no badging at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

R.O.R wrote: »
    I occasionaly see a de-badged 318 around, but since the reg is 03LH318 I think most people will know what it is :confused:

I can beat that with this beauty I spotted in Liffey Valley:

picture.php?albumid=417&pictureid=3103

Hard to see from the camera phone picture but it's a badged,kitted and exhausted RS4 TDi with...

....A4 TDi printed on the border of the reg plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I win.

This is the best one I've ever seen.

Makes baby Jesus cry, so it does.

m5.jpg

Registration 08C115
    Make BMW
    Model 520
    Description D M SPORT Z5SO 04DR Z5S0
    Fuel Type DIESEL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Its also the same with the skanners putting the Type R on there 1.4 Civics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Saab Ed wrote: »
    What is it then?

Clearly it's now a 4.2 V8. How could you not know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

I win.

This is the best one I've ever seen.

Makes baby Jesus cry, so it does.

Registration 08C115
    Make BMW
    Model 520
    Fuel Type DIESEL

Holy moley!
    Doubleplus dickhead points for going to the bother of the 115 reg :eek:
    I couldn't resist checking to see if 08C116 was a very angry M5 owner :D
    No such reg issued sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

IRegistration 08C115
    Make BMW
    Model 520
    Fuel Type DIESEL

Saw this car yesterday (again). 1st time seeing it since I found out its only a 2.0. I started laughing and the driver saw me. Didn't seem too impressed to see me laughing at his car. I think the fact that he paid for the personalised number plates makes it one of the saddest things i've ever seen!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

:

Unless the remap changed the displacement or the fuel it uses then it very much is still a 1.9TDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Dartz wrote: »
    Debaging...

How many BMW 520's and 116's have had it done.

Well, I have a 525 which I suppose is only one engine model up from the base one, but I'm going to debadge just because it looks cleaner, and it shouldn't make an iota of difference to anyone else what size engine is in my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

Its still a 1.9 no??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

This is mine. I debadged the rear simply because i thought it looked better. Later added the small sticker to the rear side window cos again thought i looked good.
    3370485331_fc6d03f7f0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

milltown wrote: »
    I can beat that with this beauty I spotted in Liffey Valley:

picture.php?albumid=417&pictureid=3103

Hard to see from the camera phone picture but it's a badged,kitted and exhausted RS4 TDi with...

....A4 TDi printed on the border of the reg plate.

Sad sad sad and there a fair few "rs4's" around with the tractor engine under the bonnet...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Debadging is for people who bought a poverty spec 3 series instead of mondeo - they couldn't afford the extras that would make it a worthwhile car but wanted people to think they drove a prestige motor - so they removed the badges - thinking no one would notice the ****ty plastic bumpers and side skirts...

Low spec BMWs piss me off more than Ladas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I debadged the rear simply because i thought it looked better.
    3370485331_fc6d03f7f0.jpg

But its still a Corsa!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

I once saw what was clearly a base spec LX Mondeo (black door handles, no front fogs, steel wheels) proudly wearing a Zetec badge on the back,

I suppose we can all dream....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Debadging is for people who bought a poverty spec 3 series instead of mondeo - they couldn't afford the extras that would make it a worthwhile car but wanted people to think they drove a prestige motor - so they removed the badges - thinking no one would notice the ****ty plastic bumpers and side skirts...

Low spec BMWs piss me off more than Ladas
    Why do you care?:)

Advertisement