Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North korea at it again.....

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ozzirt

It does and it doesn't. The discussion was due to the fact that the delivery systems (i.e. fuzes, guidance systems etc) could not be repaired because nobody made vacuum tubes any more, and that there was no budget available to replace them with chips.

As long as the currently installed vacuum tubes work, the US nukes will get to where they need to go and blow up. If they run out of tubes, the nukes are still viable, but there's much less control over where they go 'boom'

NTM
    Vacuum tubes?... Where have you been for the last 30 years? These weapons are guided by GPS and inertial navigation technology which wasn't even thought of when vacuum tubes went out of use.

EMP would render vacuum tube circuits useless in the event of a war, they'd be better off with a trained monkey and a steering wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

magick wrote: »
    If the US wanted to, they could easily destroy the NK airforce within days, once they win command of the skys its only a matter of time when NK falls.
    b12mearse wrote: »
    But what will kim jong do with those nuclear weapons before he goes down.
    He sounds like the type that would take alot of people with him.

Jeez... "Game over man..game over"....:rolleyes: Lets hope it doesn't come to that shall we, the long stand off has been going on for years, if memory serves its one of the longest to date? I'm sure there are those here better equiped who can claify that for me, see I've never really been a political animal so this just strikes me as more sabre rattling but with seriously more deadly sabres.

Kim Jong might be as crazy as a bag of hammers but he ain't no fool, some might call him a genius but what troubles me is that he's having a row with all of his neighbours at the minute, and a man cornered... might and I say might, take a swipe at what he thinks to be either his weakest opponent, or his deadliest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 holyjoe

magick wrote: »
    Only people that should fear NK is South Korea, although they have a huge army, they also lack modern weapons. China only props up NK so it doesnt have a huge refugee problem at its border.

If the US wanted to, they could easily destroy the NK airforce within days, once they win command of the skys its only a matter of time when NK falls.

they could very easily but they wont,
    simply becuase the chinese would not allow the americans into North Korea.

even the americans are not stupid enought to mess with the chinese,
    they know thats a war they would not win.

they have 2 millions robots fighting for em :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru-xQac_sWw&feature=related

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

ozzirt wrote: »
    Vacuum tubes?... Where have you been for the last 30 years? These weapons are guided by GPS and inertial navigation technology which wasn't even thought of when vacuum tubes went out of use.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122731227702749413.html
    Gen. Chilton pulls out a prop to illustrate his point: a glass bulb about two inches high. "This is a component of a V-61" nuclear warhead, he says. It was in "one of our gravity weapons" -- a weapon from the 1950s and '60s that is still in the U.S. arsenal. He pauses to look around the Journal's conference table. "I remember what these things were for. I bet you don't. It's a vacuum tube. My father used to take these out of the television set in the 1950s and '60s down to the local supermarket to test them and replace them."

And here comes the punch line: "This is the technology that we have . . . today." The technology in the weapons the U.S. relies on for its nuclear deterrent dates back to before many of the people in the room were born.

Now, he is a little guilty of a bit of showmanship: He's arguing for a new warhead, whilst the vacuum tube is actually part of the fuzing system, a different component of the munition, but you still need the one to work the other.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ozzirt

Now, he is a little guilty of a bit of showmanship: He's arguing for a new warhead, whilst the vacuum tube is actually part of the fuzing system, a different component of the munition, but you still need the one to work the other.

NTM
    Yep,... I apologise. I wasn't thinking of the fusing system. I'm only guessing here, but there is a proximity sensor which is basically a vacuum tube (It has a glass or ceramic shell and is under a vacuum) a variation of these are also used in AA ammunition. That maybe what he's talking about but I wouldn't think there are any triodes and pentodes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

its weird... countrys get invaded for trying to make weapons of mass destruction but once you have one the back down and just try to talk it out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Gates says 'signs' NKorea preparing missile launch

MANILA (AFP) — US Defence Secretary Robert Gates said Monday that North Korea could be preparing for a long-range missile test, but admitted that Pyongyang's intentions were not yet clear.

"We have seen some signs that they may be doing something with another Taepodong missile," Gates told a joint press conference with his Philippine counterpart Gilberto Teodoro.

"But at this point it's not clear what they're going to do," said the US defence secretary, who was making a flying visit to the Philippines on his way home from a regional security conference in Singapore.
    A South Korean defence ministry spokesman on Monday told AFP that officials in Seoul had "detected signs that North Korea is preparing to fire an ICBM," or intercontinental ballistic missile.

The North has moved the missile to a base in Dongchang-ri along its northwestern coast and a launch could take place in one or two weeks, South Korea's Yonhap news agency quoted an unnamed intelligence official as saying. Tensions have been running high for the past week after Kim Jong-Il's regime tested a nuclear bomb for the second time and then launched a series of short-range missiles and threatened possible attacks on South Korea.

Gates said he hoped a high-level US delegation led by Washington's special North Korea nuclear envoy Stephen Bosworth -- due to meet with officials in China, Japan, Russia and South Korea -- could help defuse those tensions.

"I would rather not presume that we will not be successful in gaining a broad agreement on the way forward," Gates told reporters.

"I think we ought to wait and see how those conversations go and how our partners in the six-party talks other than Pyongyang react to the developments of the last few weeks and see where we go from there diplomatically," he said.

He said he would rather "not speculate on what we might do after that."
    The two Koreas, China, Japan, Russia and the United States make up a six-party forum that has been meeting for six years for negotiations aimed at ending Pyongyang's nuclear programmes.

Gates said at the weekend in Singapore that Washington would not accept a nuclear=armed North Korea, and that Pyongyang's defiant acts could spark an arms race with serous consequences for Asia.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jicnedXMP3rTkURvu7OzqjD9JPdw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

should look up "camp 22 north korea" on google earth,its frightening to see,although some are sceptics saying that is not a camp and maybe right,there is no towers/electric fences to been seen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

I think this is worth a read

http://www.newsweek.com/id/200053

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

dlofnep wrote: »
    Iraq was never a threat. NK has always been.
    Very true, anyone really think there's going to be a nuclear war? is it not just more pee spraying by the north, themselves and America are having a game of poker at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement