Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAW PLUS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

njd2010 wrote: »
    Since I got 480 (Looking back I was pretty good at predicting my results :) ) and UCC Law was 480*, I might get offered UCC second round... and I'm not sure if I should take it or not. UL has the benefit of being a nicer campus, but it seems like UCC's more focused degree is more highly regarded... I'm not sure what do :(

I know 2 students from UCC, who did the 3 year Law course, came out with 1.1s and still can't get work.

Law in UL isn't as well regarded in the minds of people who are heading to UL or that are going to other colleges and look down on it. But two years into my course, I cna tell you that employers love 2 things about Law plus:

1. The COOP
    2. The flexibility of the degree

You really shouldn't overlook the point that you have a wide degree of options to study as part of Law Plus. I did Ecnomics and Politics. If halfway through your degree you deice you don't want to do something in law these options will be vital to a possible career move. At the end of your 4 years in Law Plus you'll have your exemptions for the bar, a 6-8 month working placement and you'll have had the time of your life in the best college for craic in Ireland.

I might finish off with the fact that UL is was the first and is still the only college with a mock courtroom on site. Having been there and spoke at the launch of said courtroom I can tell you that this facility is fantastic and is of an enormous benefit to students.

If any of ye new folks have any questions pelase don't hesitate to ask them or drop me a pm.

And make sure ye join the Law Society tis mighty craic ... but seriously join the Law Society :pac:

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Great response ynwa, sent you a PM there so I don't hijack the thread into a UCC vs UL one :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

ynwa_17 wrote: »

Adam

hi Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

hi Adam

This is Kian. He'll tell you how much craic Limerick is and is proof you cna pass the year without going to lectures ... or doing 50% assignments :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Macano31

Hi,

I am hoping to get Law plus this year. Did the Leaving last year and have 455 points.

I was wondering could someone give me advice on the non-Law options.

I was looking at such options as Pschology, English, Public Administration or New Media. There doesn't seem to be any published lists of the modules covered for options.

I was wondering about which have the easier workloads given that I suppose the Law has a heavy workload?

I was also wondering what options are the most useful if one doesn't opt for Law?

Thanks in advance,

• Advertisement

Macano31 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am hoping to get Law plus this year. Did the Leaving last year and have 455 points.

I was wondering could someone give me advice on the non-Law options.

I was looking at such options as Pschology, English, Public Administration or New Media. There doesn't seem to be any published lists of the modules covered for options.

I was wondering about which have the easier workloads given that I suppose the Law has a heavy workload?

I was also wondering what options are the most useful if one doesn't opt for Law?

Thanks in advance,

I did German but switched to Economics - German is very difficult (I got a B1 for the LC but couldn't keep up with it in college) but economics isn't too bad, despite the fact I didn't do it for the LC. Most common Law Plus choices seem to be Economics, Psychology and Sociology. Sociology IMHO is an absolute load of useless rubbish, and I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Psychology, a lot of people complain that it's a lot of work. Sorry I don't know much about the others.

The Law subjects themselves have a surprisingly easy workload for first year at least, so don't worry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tio07

I am over the moon this week as I got an offer of a place for this September! :D:D

I am just trying to prepare myself for college, Im a mature student, I have a few questions ...

What is the Law plus timetable like? How many hours a week are you in?

Do you need to buy books or will the library suffice?

Any tips for starting the course or for being just being a UL student in general?

I am not sure what electives to go for, so any feed back on them would be good.

Thank you in advance!

Tio07 wrote: »
    I am over the moon this week as I got an offer of a place for this September! :D:D

I am just trying to prepare myself for college, Im a mature student, I have a few questions ...

What is the Law plus timetable like? How many hours a week are you in?

Do you need to buy books or will the library suffice?

Any tips for starting the course or for being just being a UL student in general?

Congratulations!

I know the first year timetable is incredibly minimal compared to most other courses, so you need not worry about that. I had 15 hours of lectures and college a week at most, and that dwindled down to 8-10 at times. You're supposed to spend the rest of the time reading and studying etc, but even with a decent amount of study you still won't be all that busy. Can't speak for other years.

Don't buy books for a few weeks, until you are absolutely sure you need to. Most subjects really do not require textbooks, rather you spend most time reading cases and articles online. What you need you can often get in the library, but know that important library books can become scarce the closer you get to exams. The bookstore has little books called Nutshells/nutcases, which are like condensed (and easier to read) textbooks which are excellent and cheap, buy those and use the larger textbooks from the library to supplement your knowledge when you can.

You get two elective choices, but for most people in practice you really only have one - the other will usually be taken up with the extra Law elective which gives you an extra law subject (Labour law, Company law, media law etc) every semester and can be important in the long run.

For the other one, it's really up to you - but I recommend taking something that will actually be useful to you. Languages are good (but may be the hardest subject you do in college) but (my opinion, I'm sure others disagree) avoid artsy and less practical subjects like Sociology, which are often a load of shíte. I did Economics and loved it, it's hard going for those of us that haven't just done a LC with the subject but it is rewarding. Go to as many lectures in the first week as you can before you have to decide, and remember that if in a week or two you realise you picked the wrong choice you may be able to switch if you talk to your academic advisor. You can find past exam papers online too, those may help you in your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tio07

njd2010 wrote: »
    Congratulations!

I know the first year timetable is incredibly minimal compared to most other courses, so you need not worry about that. I had 15 hours of lectures and college a week at most, and that dwindled down to 8-10 at times. You're supposed to spend the rest of the time reading and studying etc, but even with a decent amount of study you still won't be all that busy. Can't speak for other years.

Don't buy books for a few weeks, until you are absolutely sure you need to. Most subjects really do not require textbooks, rather you spend most time reading cases and articles online. What you need you can often get in the library, but know that important library books can become scarce the closer you get to exams. The bookstore has little books called Nutshells/nutcases, which are like condensed (and easier to read) textbooks which are excellent and cheap, buy those and use the larger textbooks from the library to supplement your knowledge when you can.

You get two elective choices, but for most people in practice you really only have one - the other will usually be taken up with the extra Law elective which gives you an extra law subject (Labour law, Company law, media law etc) every semester and can be important in the long run.

For the other one, it's really up to you - but I recommend taking something that will actually be useful to you. Languages are good (but may be the hardest subject you do in college) but (my opinion, I'm sure others disagree) avoid artsy and less practical subjects like Sociology, which are often a load of shíte. I did Economics and loved it, it's hard going for those of us that haven't just done a LC with the subject but it is rewarding. Go to as many lectures in the first week as you can before you have to decide, and remember that if in a week or two you realise you picked the wrong choice you may be able to switch if you talk to your academic advisor. You can find past exam papers online too, those may help you in your decision.

Thanks for the info, all sounds good! looking forward to all that comes in September and beyond!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 arf123

Anyone doing the new media and cultural studies as one of their electives?? Any info that you have and if it's useful would be great

• Advertisement
Advertisement