Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like the Luas?

Options
  • 22-05-2009 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

I love how quiet it is. Some people have to have loud engines. But I just absolutely love silent running.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I like it but the DRRTS plan of 76 (what the DART & Luas came from) was much better. While I do like, and use it everyday, it should have been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Yes I do, I travel on it Monday - Friday and have no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

tolteq wrote: »
    I love how quiet it is. Some people have to have loud engines. But I just absolutely love silent running.

It's not that quiet. Loud people, loud babies, loud announcements, loud bells, loud horns.... Well that's my experience of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Horses for courses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd like it even more if they employed some security.
    Not 24/7

Just in the peak scumbag hours and between certain stops.
    I'm sure if you put an undercover staff member on the luas all day for a week they'd figure out what hours they needed security for.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Have to agree. At least you're more or less guaranteed a seat on a bus rather than the LUAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I'd like it more if the two lines joined up and if there was a maximum charge on smartcards of the cost of a one-day unlimited travel ticket in cases where my usage in a day exceeds the cost of such a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

What sort of dumb post is this? How many times have you actually got the luas on the redline and who or what do you consider scumbags? I have got the luas for two years, the only tiny bit of hassle I got was of two thick limerick aniamls. Maybe its your attitude that gives you this opinion?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

• Get rid of the awful ticket machines - only Superquinn's self scan checkouts are slower
    • Seriously improve the volume and audio quality of the announcements
    • Make the in-car displays simpler (i.e. not scrolling stupid messages)
    • Fully implement absolute tram-priority at junctions
    • Replace the air heating with infrared - the hot air escapes when the door opens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

flushje wrote: »
    What sort of dumb post is this? How many times have you actually got the luas on the redline and who or what do you consider scumbags? I have got the luas for two years, the only tiny bit of hassle I got was of two thick limerick aniamls. Maybe its your attitude that gives you this opinion?

I thought his observation was quite accurate. There is a serious problem on the red line with anti social behaviour, both on the trams and at stops. Junkies, drunks and general scumbags are causing lots of hassle to both passengers and Luas staff. Veolia recently announced that between 5 and 10 people a day are pick pocketed on the red line Luas. Drivers have been attacked and threatened. I have witnessed serious assaults on passengers, drug dealing, drug taking and on three occasions I have been on a tram which has had to call the Gardai because of trouble on board. The worst attack was one evening where a gang attacked a woman waiting at Abbey Street, they dragged her onto the tracks and began kicking and punching her. Myself and another guy ran to help her and she was very shaken.

Like yourself Flushje, I also use the red line daily, but my experience is obviously very different to yours. Considering there is an almost constant presence of drunks/junkies around the Abbey Street and Jervis stops, and the section of the line between Heuston and Blackhorse being described as a trouble area, I'm curious as to which part of the red line you actually use.

Before you decide to label my post as "dumb" too, have a look at these recent news paper articles detailing some of the anti-social problems...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0216/1233867938518.html

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/luas-passengers-suffer-daily-journey-of-fear-as-drink-and-drug-mobs-rule-1743861.html

http://www.echo.ie/news/Luas-security-steppedup.5007516.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

you can really see every walk of life on the Luas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭tolteq

cybrandian wrote: »
    you can really see every walk of life on the Luas!

lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

whenever i have used it i loved how quiet it was and that you did not have to wait at red lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

btw not all people in limerick are like this pal

MiniD wrote: »
    I thought his observation was quite accurate. There is a serious problem on the red line with anti social behaviour, both on the trams and at stops. Junkies, drunks and general scumbags are causing lots of hassle to both passengers and Luas staff. Veolia recently announced that between 5 and 10 people a day are pick pocketed on the red line Luas. Drivers have been attacked and threatened. I have witnessed serious assaults on passengers, drug dealing, drug taking and on three occasions I have been on a tram which has had to call the Gardai because of trouble on board. The worst attack was one evening where a gang attacked a woman waiting at Abbey Street, they dragged her onto the tracks and began kicking and punching her. Myself and another guy ran to help her and she was very shaken.

Like yourself Flushje, I also use the red line daily, but my experience is obviously very different to yours. Considering there is an almost constant presence of drunks/junkies around the Abbey Street and Jervis stops, and the section of the line between Heuston and Blackhorse being described as a trouble area, I'm curious as to which part of the red line you actually use.

Before you decide to label my post as "dumb" too, have a look at these recent news paper articles detailing some of the anti-social problems...

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/luas-passengers-suffer-daily-journey-of-fear-as-drink-and-drug-mobs-rule-1743861.html

Ye, seems I did jump the gun quite a fair bit, apologies. I get the luas from Bluebell to tallaght, never had trouble getting a seat, rarely notice anti social behaviour. Im obhiously getting on at the perfect stop.

RHunce wrote: »
    btw not all people in limerick are like this pal

Obv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Eh mate, have you ever got the number 77 bus?! I can assure you its as bad if not worse, take a trip upstairs anywhere near the back, and you almost guaranteed to get stoned out of your bin just by promiximity to the local yokels.

Id say the DB along similar routes sufffers just as much if not more anti social behaviour. Never mind missiles launched at buses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Eh mate, have you ever got the number 77 bus?! I can assure you its as bad if not worse, take a trip upstairs anywhere near the back, and you almost guaranteed to get stoned out of your bin just by promiximity to the local yokels.

Id say the DB along similar routes sufffers just as much if not more anti social behaviour. Never mind missiles launched at buses etc.

Got to agree with you 100% here. The upstairs on the 77 is a no-go area as far as I'm concerned.

SteM wrote: »
    Got to agree with you 100% here. The upstairs on the 77 is a no-go area as far as I'm concerned.

Problem with the luas is that once you go about a carriage back then you're in the same situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

I suppose the difference with the bus is that the trouble is mainly confined to the upper deck. With the Luas it's completely open with often no staff present. The driver is locked away in his cab 40ft away from where the problem is.

I'd feel much safer traveling by bus any day over Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya like the attitude of calling limerick people animals...

Your are just being naive if you really think there are no scumbags on the Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

From my use of both, the Red LUAS line is FAR superior in every way to the bus. The only trouble I have seen on the LUAS is some scumbags throwing an egg in the door when it was stopped around James hospital.
    While on the upstairs of the bus I would very regularly see people smoking and have seen someone inhale heroin.

Listening to some people, you would think we live in the slums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Problem with the luas is that once you go about a carriage back then you're in the same situation.

Sensationalist garbage.

I very quick test - get on the luas and try and find graffiti. Yes you probably will find some. Now go to the back of the top deck of any bus and you will find a hell of a lot more with ripped seats as well.

With the luas you know exactly when it will arrive. With the bus you have no idea. Big plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

That happens everywhere in the city. It is by no means confied to the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

In reply to the OP, yes I like the Luas.

I frequently get the Green line: it's reliable, clean, comfortable and safe. The alternative for me is the 14/14a, which is almost as reliable, relatively clean, not great on comfort (ramps anyone?) and generally safe. One isn't any better than the other really.

I've travelled the red line a few times, only ever between town and Suir road. I feel less safe on the red line than on the green, and it's less comfortable because it has always been packed even at off-peak times. I've never gotten the bus out west, so I have nothing to compare it to in that regard.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Ya like the attitude of calling limerick people animals...

Your are just being naive if you really think there are no scumbags on the Luas.

When did I say Limerick people were animals? I prolly should have said it better and said, "These two aniamls from Limerick"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

it annoys me how scum/junkies don't have to pay to use it, i've seen them many times just being asked to get off at the next stop, they don't bother giving them tickets. On the other hand they always give normal people and foreigners tickets if they haven't paid for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I find the bus is far quicker. The red line seems to have a stop every 50 meters

Advertisement