Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad week for creationists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

The king is in his altogether, his altogether, his altogether.
    The king is in his altogether as naked as the day that he was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

genericguy wrote: »

Unlike Jimitime I will be hoping to see the peer reviewed documentation surrounding this.

To Theists: Decry it all you want, science does the one thing you cant do - backs up its claims!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

genericguy wrote: »
    god is fail, biologists win!

Go on then I'll bite, how does this discovery indicate that there is no God? :confused:

To Theists: Decry it all you want, science does the one thing you cant do - backs up its claims!

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    Go on then I'll bite, how does this discovery indicate that there is no God? :confused:

It doesn't refute the existence of God, it simply highlights the fact that what your preachings are saying are not accurate and lack substance. When accuracy becomes dubious in one area, especially an area that acts as the fundamental beliefs of a religion, suspicion must be cast upon the remaining areas. Quite simply; if there is doubt as to how creatures on this planet came about and when they appeared, we must question all the other claims made by the same source.

As time goes by, the steady foundations of Christianity crumble away, without anything to seal up the cracks in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Liber8or wrote: »
    It doesn't refute the existence of God, it simply highlights the fact that what your preachings are saying are not accurate and lack substance. When accuracy becomes dubious in one area, especially an area that acts as the fundamental beliefs of a religion, suspicion must be cast upon the remaining areas. Quite simply; if there is doubt as to how creatures on this planet came about and when they appeared, we must question all the other claims made by the same source.

As time goes by, the steady foundations of Christianity crumble away, without anything to seal up the cracks in between.

What a load of cock.

I'm not even religious, but seriously, most major religions long ago accepted evolution.

The missing link is crucial for supporting Darwin's theory, but it's hardly going to end organised religion all of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

What a load of cock.

I'm not even religious, but seriously, most major religions long ago accepted evolution.

The missing link is crucial for supporting Darwin's theory, but it's hardly going to end organised religion all of a sudden.

This is why I really shouldn't get involved in Religious debate anymore.

Most religions? Name them. Prove it.

I never said Religion will end all of a sudden, I suggest you read what I wrote, again and slowly.

Ugh, Sky News?

Cool story, mind, but bad source.

New scientist

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124235632936122739.html

Wall Street Journal

BBC

... the story is all over the place from what I can tell. Though sky seem to be sensationalising it a little. Mostly to enrage Jimitime the reactionary christian types. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

New scientist

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124235632936122739.html

Wall Street Journal

BBC

... the story is all over the place from what I can tell. Though sky seem to be sensationalising it a little. Mostly to enrage Jimitime the reactionary christian types. ;)

'cause Sky is sensationalist tripe?

Thanks for the other links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Ugh, Sky News?

Cool story, mind, but bad source.

Indeed, becoming more Fox-like by the week. Convergent evolution? :D

Does anyone else ever wish that a discussion on evolution could be held without someone bringing the god fella into it? It's an irrelevance, unless of course some fundamentalists are trying to shoehorn religion into the classroom.

On the article itself, I don't particularly like the tone that suggests that the evolutionary process was in need of a single 'missing link' to prove its veracity. Should any issues arise with this one fossil, it will be seized upon by the IDiots as another stick to beat science with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

How's J C taking this?

He's started saving his coppers so he can buy it and dispose of it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

There is still debate about whether Ida is a direct human ancestor or a just a close relative of one i.e a cousin rather than grandparent. Of course Sky don't report any facts that detract from the sensationalism.

Though sky seem to be sensationalising it a little. Mostly to enrage Jimitime the reactionary christian types. ;)

Indeed. Or maybe their tabloid approach will make it easy for people to talk about how god doesn't exist 'cause a 45million year old monkey was found that proved.. well ye get the idea. Evolution for Sun reading atheists. So far it seems to have atheists creaming their y fronts, not enraging anyone. But ye never know, its early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

'Your preachings' lol :confused: You seem to have fallen into the trap of thinking that Jehovahgod is everyone's God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I heard about this on BBC world news, but correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that I heard that the scientists stopped short of describing it as the missing link in the official presentation of their findings?

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I heard about this on BBC world news, but correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that I heard that the scientists stopped short of describing it as the missing link in the official presentation of their findings?

Its not the missing link only a missing link.

A rather important one at that.

JimiTime wrote: »
    Indeed. Or maybe their tabloid approach will make it easy for people to talk about how god doesn't exist 'cause a 45million year old monkey was found that proved.. well ye get the idea. Evolution for Sun reading atheists. So far it seems to have atheists creaming their y fronts, not enraging anyone. But ye never know, its early days.

Don't think I've ever met an atheist who reads the Sun...
    Its not the missing link only a missing link.

A rather important one at that.

Thought they weren't sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

You forgot the Palaeontology forum :(

• Advertisement

David Attenborough on it. Apparently. I can't get it to load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

... well obviously we didn't mean god was literally at the top of the mountain

... well obviously we didn't mean god was literally in the clouds

... well obviously we didn't mean god was literally in the Sun

... well obviously we didn't mean god was literally in the Sky

... well obviously we didn't mean god literally created the Earth

... well obviously we didn't mean god literally created life

... well obviously we didn't mean god literally created the universe

I would be shocked to my very core if anything is ever discovered from now until the Sun burns out that would actually make a fundamentalist stop believing. That isn't how it works.

For the rest of us though ....

Wicknight wrote: »

I would be shocked to my very core if anything is ever discovered from now until the Sun burns out that would actually make a fundamentalist stop believing. That isn't how it works.

I don't know what folk you're talking about here, so i wouldn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Most religions? Name them. Prove it.

Lets start with the Pope

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19956961/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I agree in some respects. Nearly all media coverage of evolution is p*ss poor.

The best evidence is in DNA. All it requires is a simple understanding of expondential mathematicals, random mutations and non random selections and that the word theory meaans something different when used in a scientific context.

This should be all within the remit of a 15 year old.

I don't see how this fossil find is such a big deal. It has a tale and is hence not even an APE. The fossiles between us and our closest relatives, the other APEs are much more interesting.

Homo Erectus, Homo Egaster and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

The thing is though, the bible is so open to interpretation, that the Creationuts will always be able to find away around all evidence that to prove that there is no God, just like they always do. Because they`ve changed thier tune now. They still say that the earth was created in seven days, just not seven consecutive days, and that is why the earth is so old. So according to them, this fossil will still be the product of "creation".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Wicknight wrote: »

For the rest of us though ....
    I don't know what folk you're talking about here, so i wouldn't know.

That would be fundamentalists.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

David Attenborough on it. Apparently. I can't get it to load.
    Didn't work for me either in Firefox, but appears fine in IE.

Sir David seems pretty adamant this is the real thing. He's featured in a documentary called "The Link" due to be shown on BBC later this month.

Trailer on official site here. (Again, only worked in IE for me). Despite the use of the words "top scientists" and Da Vinci Code'esque music - it's looks interesting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

oh ho ho. That Satan fellow, what a rascal. What will he think of next... putting monkey bones in the ground to test the faith of Creationists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Has Creationism ever had a good week?

"Dinosaur fossil with riding harness still attached unearthed in Mexico!"

Advertisement