Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ELECTION- No interest or apathy

Options
  • 19-05-2009 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

I find it intersting that on all Limerick web sites, including this one, there has been little or no discussion on forthcoming elections. Other than people discussing the posters.
    Could it be that no one is interested or particularly cares.
    I wouldn't be surprised if most folk don't know what the election is about or what their local canditates views are on anything - or even who their local candidates are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Most of the general population are unaware of the difference between a local and national election and as such will moan about all manner of irrelevant issues pertaining to the incorrect type.

While this is no reason not to discuss it, I would think it's probably a better reason than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Or it could be people sick of many of the same old faces who only surface when they want a vote, and then remain pretty anonymous for their term afterwards.

A few seem to think that all they have to do is get their picture in the paper on a regular basis and not actually do anything for the areas that voted them in.

Maybe this year with a few new faces on the block there may be a few that actually want to do what the minority of the last voted batch seemed to do, and that is to try and serve the people that voted them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

I think everyone is all too keenly aware of who the candidates are, the enless wall of posters ensures that!!

Whether anyone cares or not is another thing, the confidence in all political figures has been undermined and the real issues that people want to give out about aren't really up for discussion (recessiony things)...the pot holes and blind spots aren't really high up peoples list of priorities when their jobs are on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

"I dont know what a tracker mortgage is"

Basically I do not know what the elections are for.

Are we electing local representatives?
    Are we electing European representatives?

I know we are registered to vote. That is about it.

Berty wrote: »
    "I dont know what a tracker mortgage is"

Basically I do not know what the elections are for.

Are we electing local representatives?
    Are we electing European representatives?

I know we are registered to vote. That is about it.

You are electing Members of the European Parliament (3) and your address would put you in Tipp North Co. Co I think (5 seats), so wrong forum:pac:

There's a map on page 3 of this:
    http://www.electoralareacommittees.ie/reports/EABCChapter5(LocalAuthoritiesT-W).pdf

Councillors can't do anything about your wage packet, taxes the N7 or law of the land.

They can enact by-laws, set speed limits on non-national roads, create traffic plans, grant local parks and ameneties etc.

The cannot remove Brian Cowen.

MEPs essentially lobby for Irish interests in the European parliament and represent views brought to them by constituents. There is again, no point in complaining they're doing something you don't like. They have to put it in writing to the Parliament, so there would abviously be some talk about it beforehand.

It's a generally Irish thing that people wait to be told what politicians are doing, people keep informed and try to contact their politicans on issues they don't agree with, whoever, Irish politicians are much more accessable to their constituents than their international counterparts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

after seeing the quality of "debate" offered up around the lisbon treaty, I've decided to make my own mind up and not bother discussing it with others :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ninty9er wrote: »
    They can ........ create traffic plans, grant local parks and ameneties etc.

Assuming they get funds from the national Government.

And as members of their respective parties one would expect that they would convey the feeling of the general public.
    MEPs essentially lobby for Irish interests in the European parliament and represent views brought to them by constituents. There is again, no point in complaining they're doing something you don't like.

How about if they take inflated or unvouched expenses, vote against publishing expenses and/or don't turn up for work ?
    They have to put it in writing to the Parliament, so there would abviously be some talk about it beforehand.

While Libertas wouldn't be high on my acceptability radar, one of them made a very valid point on Q&A last night; many MEPs voted against mandatory accountability (which is a black mark against them) but there's nothing to stop individual MEPs being accountable and publishing their attendance record and expenses and activities on their own website.

A few months ago some FF idiot/devious gob****e [delete as appropriate, because I don't know] was on The Last Word saying that he "accidentally" voted against some of the above, and then later added a "correction" to indicate that he'd voted the opposite to how he'd intended.

Matt Cooper asked him if the vote was adjusted to reflect the "correction" and he said no. :rolleyes:
    Irish politicians are much more accessable to their constituents than their international counterparts.

They might make themselves available and "listen", but they don't take heed or represent what they hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Apat....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I'm sick of them ****ers calling to my door! The flyer is ripped up and thrown in the bin before they get to my front gate! I'm going to put the next one on the spot and ask them "Well, what are you going to do for me if I give you my vote?" and see what reaction I get.. :D

Baldie wrote: »
    I'm sick of them ****ers calling to my door! The flyer is ripped up and thrown in the bin before they get to my front gate! I'm going to put the next one on the spot and ask them "Well, what are you going to do for me if I give you my vote?" and see what reaction I get.. :D

Nobody can do anything for you unless you tell them what you want them to do, and even at that they might not be able to or might be unwilling to.

It's ****e like this that makes me despair.."why didn't they....."

Because the gobdaw electorate didn't f&^king ASK!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

There is such a huge gulf between politicos and teh general population that there is little point discussing the election. Every single one of them is as bad as the other and there is no actual, practical difference between any of teh parties. You'd be as well closing your eyes and picking at random.

Politicos claiming that they are "more accessible" is a slight of hand. Joe Public might get the chance to go to a clinic once a month or whatever but the disconnect between the political classes and the average punter is unbridgeable. And no matter what sympathetic noises the political classes make we all know that what the Financial Times called the "cozy cartel" of bankers and politicos will continue to look after each others interests, irrespective of teh cost.

Nor did what you charmingly call the "gobdaw electorate" fritter away twenty years of sustained growth and economic success leaving the country with 3rd world infrastructure, high taxes and diminishing services while being thought of as teh economic basket case of Europe.

Nor did what you charmingly call the "gobdaw electorate" fritter away twenty years of sustained growth and economic success leaving the country with 3rd world infrastructure, high taxes and diminishing services while being thought of as teh economic basket case of Europe.

They did, however, manage to not put money aside themselves, and overspend on property far beyond what they needed, and drive luxury cars that were ineconomical and nothing more than showboating. Everyone in this country got swpet up in the greed, so people need to have some level of responsibility for their own actions too.

Granted, the general public were quite happy to be gouged on prices and live on credit and well beyond thier means. Yes we should all take responsibility for our own decisions.

But take a walk from the Locke Bar to Brown Thomas and you can pretty easily see teh catastrophy that passes for planning in this city. Have a read through the media for a chuckle at the "plans" to replace Dell and the associated companies taht will close on teh back of them. Take a look at the queues outside the dole office or talk to people who are in negative equity and facing into redundancy.

Yes no doubt a fair part of teh mess is our own fault - the AIB shareholders railing at losing incomes obviously didn't listen to the warning about stocks falling as well as rising, for example. Agreed that part of the economic meltdown is global.

But the governments failure at both local and national level to plan for and prepare for a property crash that the dogs in the street knew must happen sometime is nothing short of negligence. The overreliance on property taxes was short sighted and the lack of political will to tackle the overly strong public sector unions during the good times has now come back to bite. The bungling attempts at taxing our way out of a recession are chaotic. For that they need to bear responsibility. Unfortunately there isn't a single party that is offering anything like a coherent plan so the electorate are left with a combination of anger and apathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    How about if they take inflated or unvouched expenses, vote against publishing expenses and/or don't turn up for work ?

In fairness to the sitting MEPs, most of them, Mary Lou McDonald excepted, seem to have a pretty good track record at turning up to vote in Strasbourg and Brussels:

Website listing MEPs’ attendance records sparks row

However, as the Irish Examiner headline suggests, there is some controversy over the accuracy of the attendance figures.

Amadeus, regarding your point about the gulf between the electorate and politicos - I don't think there was anything stopping ordinary members of the electorate putting themselves forward for local election to bridge that gap. Obviously there are barriers in place that would dissuage someone running in the European elections, such as the sheer size of the constituency - being a member of a political party is a definite help here.

Zuroph, while many people may have been foolish with their managing of their personal finances, there are others who have always been careful, and yet are still suffering in this downturn. I don't think you can make sweeping statements saying that everybody was greedy, as this simply is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I've never had any interest in Politics,
    I dont even know who half these people on posters are,

I turned up to vote when it came to Divorce,Abortion & the Lisborn treaty
    alright but other than the Odd vote to Willie O'Dea who always listens
    (but does feck all) He's an awl ejjit in my opinion but
    I cant help but like him. Other than that I've never voted.

I know next to nothing about all the different parties,
    only they all seem to be as bad as each other.

I wont be giving Dermot Ahern or any of his party any of my votes ever
    as he has an ignorant attitude some certain topics which I wont go into.

Was playing airsoft in the middle of a field the other week outin
    Ballyneety and some politician wandered by canvassing
    and had his photo taken with a bunch of lads, all smiles and talk from him,
    telling people whatever they wanted to hear.

Had some other Lady stick a letter in my door saying how great she was
    but getting some abandoned car that was parked outside a house removed.
    well done lady.

I know next to nothing about all the different parties,
    only they all seem to be as bad as each other.

Calling to my door shakeing my hand, Putting stupid posters on every lamp pole,
    or throwing a flyer in my letter box at ten O'Clock at night is not going to inspire me
    to vote for them.

I will say it would be nice if there was a younger generation of politicians without
    being afraid to voice their views without backtracking or going with whats popular.
    Do something that will inspire people to vote for them.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I'd like to vote. However I have zero faith in the candidates. Half of them I have never heard of and the other half you never hear from.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont vote, not registered to either I cant see the point, the parties are all as bad as each other, politicians are about themselves first, people second no matter how they try to spin it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

Nobody can do anything for you unless you tell them what you want them to do, and even at that they might not be able to or might be unwilling to.

It's ****e like this that makes me despair.."why didn't they....."

ninty 99er, you owe an apolegy to these people calling them gobdaws,
    also why would be unable to do something for a voter,
    why would they not want to do something for a voter,
    there are massive potholes outside my front gate, they were there before the last general election, if they become any larger there will be a trench across the road, it is not for the want of asking them to be repaired that they still exist,
    according to yesterdays examiner, building and property delevopers will not be allowed to become bankrupt or go into liquidation for the good of the country,
    but the unfortunate home or car owner can be brought before the courts for failure to comply, plus 10% of their wage packet go to keeping banks afloat, that is one of the reasons why there is so much resentment to politicions

• Registered Users Posts: 51,169 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

After a hard day's work I come home to relax only to find these idiots constantly calling to my door as if they are trying to sell you PVC windows. I no longer answer them and tear up their leaflets straight away without even looking at who is on them or what they have to say. I cannot differentiate between the different candidates and really could not be bothered trying.

I'm also sick of looking at their silly mugs on posters plastered all over the countryside. If there is one thing these election campaigns teach me it is how much I dislike these creatures known as politicians.

bazz26 wrote: »
    After a hard day's work I come home to relax only to find these idiots constantly calling to my door as if they are trying to sell you PVC windows. I no longer answer them and tear up their leaflets straight away without even looking at who is on them or what they have to say. I cannot differentiate between the different candidates and really could not be bothered trying.

I'm also sick of looking at their silly mugs on posters plastered all over the countryside. If there is one thing these election campaigns teach me it is how much I dislike these creatures known as politicians.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

My point is that anyone that I did answer at my door gave similar rehearsed responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Fianna Fail. Fine Gael. Labour.
    Coca Cola. Pepsi. Tesco Cola.

Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.
    Alfred E. Newman

I have come to the conclusion that politics are too serious a matter to be left to the politicians.
    Charles De Gaulle (1890 - 1970)

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
    Ernest Benn

Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.
    Eugene McCarthy (1916 - 2005)

The problem with political jokes is they get elected.
    Henry Cate VII

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
    Larry Hardiman

Nothing can so alienate a voter from the political system as backing a winning candidate.
    Mark B. Cohen

Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them.
    Paul Valery (1871 - 1945), Tel Quel 2 (1943)

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
    Ronald Reagan (1911 - 2004)

The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
    Will Rogers (1879 - 1935), Illiterate Digest (1924), "Breaking into the Writing Game"

Under every stone lurks a politician.
    Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC), Thesmophoriazusae, 410 B.C.

You have all the characteristics of a popular politician: a horrible voice, bad breeding, and a vulgar manner.
    Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC), Knights, 424 B.C.

Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation.
    Henry Kissinger (1923 - )

If God had wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates.
    Jay Leno (1950 - )

The reason there are so few female politicians is that it is too much trouble to put makeup on two faces.
    Maureen Murphy

I once said cynically of a politician, 'He'll doublecross that bridge when he comes to it.'
    Oscar Levant (1906 - 1972)

An honest politician is one who, when he is bought, will stay bought.
    Simon Cameron (1799 - 1889)

You've got to vote for someone. It's a shame, but it's got to be done.
    Whoopi Goldberg

Thats my tuppenceworth.

old boy wrote: »
    ninty 99er, you owe an apolegy to these people calling them gobdaws,
    It's a general comment I stand by not aimed at anyone in particular.
    also why would be unable to do something for a voter,
    Because it falls outside their job remit
    why would they not want to do something for a voter,
    Because, for example, as some I know have been asked, it is not their job to ensure alcoholics get off drink driving charges
    there are massive potholes outside my front gate, they were there before the last general election, if they become any larger there will be a trench across the road, it is not for the want of asking them to be repaired that they still exist,
    The fact you relate potholes to a general election encapsulates the exact problem I'm tryin to portray here
    according to yesterdays examiner.....
    And if the examiner said you had a coal mine in the back garden, would you believe that too?

It's a general comment I stand by not aimed at anyone in particular.

Yet the public have a misconception that FF are arrogant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

ok as entertaining as this thread is there is alot of pathetic posts.

ok just to make it clear the local election and the european elections are on the 5th of june.

local council can fix stuff such as
    potholes in roads
    broken footpaths
    streetlights
    sorting out houses for people that need them
    tyring to fix the anti social behaviour problems

a counciler cant exactly get a company like dell to come to limerick and fix the whole unemployment issue or make everybody rich overnight or even get everyone a free merc and mansion.

alot of people refuse to give credit where it is due. the council is getting younger. and everytime im looking for a counciler i ring them and if you dont get through just leave a message and they do get back to you.

at the end of the day if you dont know about these guys then actually ask them at the door. if you dont want that go online and check what the party wants to do. but independents youll have to ask yourself.

never ever evere ever ever ask "what have you ever done for me" or "what can you do for me". if you ever had a problem that needed their help they cant read your mind or hear you a million miles away. its not superman listening out to hear some1 in trouble. you have to ring them. if you never had a problem they can fix why are you so bitter with them? they cant get you ex wife back for you or have your 12 year old dilinquint son aborted:) bottom line is if you need help just ask them

p.s mods. if we do start a debate on the local election can we mention names as long as we just give opinoions of things they have actually done or not done and not just slag people off. i think some people would actually take it seriously

Obviously it's not down to the county or city council to bring in teh multi-nationals. But suggesting that they are not in teh slightest to blame / responsible for the local economy is not on.

Like I said go walk from the Hunt Museum to Brown Thomas and then put yourself in teh shoes of a prospective investor. Would you put millions of euro into this town as it stands? If you met our illustrious mayor would you be impressed by his business acumen and can-do attitude?

I know for a fact I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

green party called to my door last night and went on and on about what they were looking to do NATIONALLY ..... I said, hang on a minute, this is local elections. Oh ya, says your man .....

looks like he didn't even know what election he was standing for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

bazz26 wrote: »

Looks like another vote for Fianna Fáíl then

fcussen wrote: »
    Looks like another vote for Fianna Fáíl then

Yeah right. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Cllr Maria Byrnes posters. Discuss.

Advertisement