Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anybody have even a sneaking fear of hell???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Latchy wrote: »
    The Atheists on boards.ie might be better occupied looking at more earthly goings on than their obsessions with the afterlife ie , hell .Sure it might do their mental health a lot of good to .

Yep, sweeping things under the rug is always the best psychological option :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Hell is for children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I believe in Hell in the same way that I believe in the tooth fairy, or Never Land. They exist in fables and fairy tales, and thats were the "existence" ends.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Time for some Hieronymus Bosch, methinks! (Click for larger)

bosch.jpg

Take that, Buddhists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I'm afraid not. Take a look at the first four commandments. God's quite vain you see so the most important important thing to him is not that you live a good life or treat people well, it's that you kiss his ass. Fail to do that and it doesn't matter if you cure cancer, you gonna fry

I wasn't so much referring to the Christian idea of hell, more so any kind of possible (however improbable it may be) or potential afterlife that greets us with eternal suffering. I believe in free will, we always have a choice, even when we aren't aware of the choice that we have. Maybe, just maybe, if you choose to do what's right and not to harm or manipulate anyone then perhaps that would be enough to avoid any potential "hell".
    Galvasean wrote: »
    I didn't say anything about intelligence as such. If it is a case that it has been programmed into them, then their mind is in fact warped. Warped minds are not to be trusted.
    Hmmm, perhaps that wording comes across as being a bit harsh? But I honestly feel that no right thinking member of society would think another person would spend an eternity of anguish and suffering for not believing in the same version of a God that (s)he does.

I somewhat agree with you. To harbour ill-will towards someone just because of differing religious beliefs is on the surface quite simply sinister. But I think the problem here is that many, many people don't actually think of the "repercussions" for those who do not believe the same thing as them. So I'm not sure if it's ill-will, rather just a lack of thought on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Aldous Huxley - "Maybe this world is another planet's hell."

OP, ask yourself the question "Do you think Santa doesn't give you presents if you're bad?" and you'll understand why I say no, no I do not have a sneaking fear of hell.

There is enough real concerns in this world to be concerned with rather than wasting my time on the fantastical. I do however pity those who believe vehemently in hell, what a prison of the mind they must exist in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I wasn't so much referring to the Christian idea of hell, more so any kind of possible (however improbable it may be) or potential afterlife that greets us with eternal suffering. I believe in free will, we always have a choice, even when we aren't aware of the choice that we have. Maybe, just maybe, if you choose to do what's right and not to harm or manipulate anyone then perhaps that would be enough to avoid any potential "hell".

If you're going to believe in Hell, then there a certain amount of logic in accepting the rules for getting in from the people who 'invented' it in the first place.

Over on the Christianity forum, they're pretty clear that you don't avoid it by performing good deeds - you need to accept Jesus (or somesuch). Not sure how you avoid Muslim hell, but probably something similar (without the Jesus bit). Not sure about other Hells (how many hells are there these days?)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

dvpower wrote: »
    (how many hells are there these days?)

None :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

dvpower wrote: »
    Over on the Christianity forum, they're pretty clear that you don't avoid it by performing good deeds - you need to accept Jesus (or somesuch).

Exactly. And since there isn't actually any evidence to support the idea of a supernatural Jesus, at least no more than there is to support any of the other major religions and it appears that god actively wants to keep it that way because he insists that we don't "test" him, it seems God's most prized "virtues" are gullibility, credulity and unquestioning following of the crowd rather than rational inquiry. Lads, we're fooked :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Death in general, yes.

Hell, not really, a bit of a sneaking one every once in a while due to a very religious past, but more of an emotional response than an intellectual one.

EDIT:That be entirely emotional and not at all intellectual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

eoin5 wrote: »
    Yep, sweeping things under the rug is always the best psychological option :rolleyes:.
    Why ,you got something to hide under there ? :rolleyes:

Out of sight out of mind can be the quick fix solution in the short term ie, dont dwell on it to much .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd be more inclined to brush aside made up concepts like Hell, Neverland and Narnia. Now, sweeping real psychological issues under the rug (depression, obsession etc.) would be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I'm not sure why but for me, like many others it seems, the belief in Hell was one of the first things to go when I was a kid. In fact I can't remember a time I actually believed in it but I presume I did as I believed in loads of crap. Like the time my dad told me Ewoks lived in the wooded area down the road.

I guess this is because Hell wasn't mentioned all that much when I was growing up, even in religious class, I presume because it might scare us which I am very grateful for. And how about that, I have never really believed in Hell and yet this didn't cause me to reject common morality and harm my fellow man. Maybe God needs to rethink his judicial system?

I'd be more inclined to brush aside made up concepts like Hell, Neverland and Narnia. Now, sweeping real psychological issues under the rug (depression, obsession etc.) would be a bad idea.

Kewl, lets close A&A board so. Nuthin to talk about here...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Kewl, lets close A&A board so. Nuthin to talk about here...

Well isn't not believing in Hell one of the quintessential traits of an atheist?

Well isn't not believing in Hell one of the quintessential traits of an atheist?

Hmm, I think youre mixing up the context. Latchy was sayin wed be better off not discussing hell for mental reasons, obsession etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

god i think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Tigger wrote: »
    god i think

1) Anything that cannot be proven through the Scientific Method. E.g. God, therefore hell and all that.

The 1 commandment of the Atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I fear an eternity of worshipping Yahweh, like some worthless, snivelling wretch more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Hmm, I think youre mixing up the context. Latchy was sayin wed be better off not discussing hell for mental reasons, obsession etc.
    Discussing it is one thing but dwelling on an obsession ' about anything ' can be unhealthy.

Edit -The victims of abuse as reported in todays Childcare Abuse Inquiry Results would know all about Hell .Many I'm sure would rather forget but that will be hard for them .

• Advertisement
Advertisement