Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belief in "god" without a belief in religion

Options
  • 18-05-2009 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

Was thinking this the other day while listening to Scroobius Pips "letter from God to man" ;

Where would one fit on the Atheism v religion debate if they were open to the idea of "god" but didnt agree with christianity/religions ethics etc?

I sometimes feel that "god" is a movement, created by humans, but now, because it gives people hope, is a power to be drawn from. Like that people have misunderstood what "god" is, but because it gives people strength, its not a bad thing, its just religion is the problem. sorry if I'm rambling a bit!

I've jokingly compared it to jedi, in that its a force for people to draw from in times of need! :pac:

But yeah, where does it fit on the debate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

zuroph wrote: »
    Where would one fit on the Atheism v religion debate if they were open to the idea of "god" but didnt agree with christianity/religions ethics etc?

Deism perhaps?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

But yeah, where does it fit on the debate?

Theist? Deist? Agnostic?

What kind of God are you talking about. Is this a God that actively interferes with the world, imbuing morals and balancing karma or something. Or are you just talking about the ontological argument for God.

@Galvasean: Good with you, Ninja skills are

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Theist? Deist? Agnostic?

What kind of God are you talking about. Is this a God that actively interferes with the world, imbuing morals and balancing karma or something. Or are you just talking about the ontological argument for God.

@Galvasean: Good with you, Ninja skills are
    no, not an entity that interferes with the world, merely, because its believed in it indirectly interferes. Like, if someone believes in it, then they may act in a more selfless fashion, different to how they would act if they didnt believe, so there's a pay off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Like anything, a "god" is pretty pointless as a concept unless you can give it some attributes. Unfortunately, once you get into defining attributes or characteristics of a deity you are really just making stuff up.

Say you want your undefined God to be one that offers "hope", for example, you have to ascribe to it some sort of trait that might imbue hope in people. So where does the justification for that hope come from? Unfortunately nowhere. Back to square one.

All that being said, there's no harming in hoping there's a deity out there with our interests in mind!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You're saying that because there is belief in a god it gives the "god" power to help people, god only exists because people believe he does? but not in the literal sense? Essentially,people need to believe in something?

Letter from god to man is a Great song by the way!! here it is for peole who dont know it(samples Radiohead's Airbag):

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You're saying that because there is belief in a god it gives the "god" power to help people, god only exists because people believe he does? but not in the literal sense? Essentially,people need to believe in something?

Letter from god to man is a Great song by the way!! here it is for peole who dont know it(samples Radiohead's Airbag):

yeah, pretty much. Like, if i wanted to make stuff up, id say that once you die you become part of that power, but thats nonsense, but, because a bunch of people believe in something, they can gain comfort and hope from it, so wheres the harm in that? and that the only harm has come from humans twisting that belief for their own gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

Like, if i wanted to make stuff up, id say that once you die you become part of that power, but thats nonsense, but, because a bunch of people believe in something, they can gain comfort and hope from it, so wheres the harm in that?

So God is essentially the ultimate spiritual placebo? :)

Naz_st wrote: »
    So God is essentially the ultimate spiritual placebo? :)
    essentially, i suppose, yeah :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

whether yer imaginary magic friend is all powerful or just a small benovelloent force whether he is a type believed in by millions or by just you is irrelevant

its all just superstition which means its all just to comfort us at the incredible size and chaotic meaningless of the world

Dades wrote: »
    All that being said, there's no harming in hoping there's a deity out there with our interests in mind!

there is harm if it alows people to be complacent

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    whether yer imaginary magic friend is all powerful or just a small benovelloent force whether he is a type believed in by millions or by just you is irrelevant

its all just superstition which means its all just to comfort us at the incredible size and chaotic meaningless of the world
    But the belief DOES exist, and by that, "god" by the definition above does exist, so isnt superstition.

But the belief DOES exist, and by that, "god" by the definition above does exist, so isnt superstition.

the belief does exist so the belief exists so ????

terry pratchet small gods ?

i don't believe in belief i believe they have suspision or fear that the emperor has clothes but you can only see them if you are ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Ah, so getting back to my previous post, you're making the ontological argument for Gods existence.

Also, I think it would be worth your time to read this article on "belief in belief"

http://www.overcomingbias.com/2007/07/belief-in-belie.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Galvasean wrote: »

It so rarely happens that the first reply in a thread satisfactorily concludes the purpose of the thread. What the OP describes is classic Deism.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Great song, Gracias!

i don't think it fits deism because from what i read, they still believe god created man not vice versa. Correct me if i'm wrong.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i don't think it fits deism because from what i read, they still believe god created man not vice versa. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I think you're right there,deists believe god exists but dont think he's actively involved with/bothered by us.

What you're saying accepts that god does not exist in the literal sense.

I think you're right there,deists believe god exists but dont think he's actively involved with/bothered by us.

What you're saying accepts that god does not exist in the literal sense.
    exactly, its more that human's have misinterpreted what the phenomenom known as "god" really is.

exactly, its more that human's have misinterpreted what the phenomenom known as "god" really is.

Interesting point, isn't it a question of "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" kind of argument though?
    If humans didn't exist then using your line of reasoning would the concept of God exist then?
    I think it wouldn't which makes God a human construct. If it's a human construct then "the phenomenom known as "god"" is what we define it to be. To me that means that we can't misinterpreted what the phenomenom known as "god" really is, as we are the ones defining it.

I could be horrible wrong though :)

pts wrote: »
    Interesting point, isn't it a question of "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" kind of argument though?
    If humans didn't exist then using your line of reasoning would the concept of God exist then?
    I think it wouldn't which makes God a human construct. If it's a human construct then "the phenomenom known as "god"" is what we define it to be. To me that means that we can't misinterpreted what the phenomenom known as "god" really is, as we are the ones defining it.

I could be horrible wrong though :)
    I see what you're saying :D

without going down the "theres so much the mind can do what we're not aware of" route (the typical sh1te sprouted by "psychics"), I would agree that, yes, god in this definition would be a human construct. The earth is created by what we know or will know from science, and "god" is a way of thinking, a sort of group meditation that gives people hope and comfort. I'm all for people believing what they want about "god", its the tag on stuff about others being wrong and their religion being the one true one that is the problem. This seems to align quite closely to atheism in that Its not "god" they have the problem with persay, its religion in all its manifestations. "god" itself hasnt done anything wrong, and is, in essense, a handy thing to have around.

• Advertisement

I see what you're saying :D

without going down the "theres so much the mind can do what we're not aware of" route (the typical sh1te sprouted by "psychics"), I would agree that, yes, god in this definition would be a human construct. The earth is created by what we know or will know from science, and "god" is a way of thinking, a sort of group meditation that gives people hope and comfort. I'm all for people believing what they want about "god", its the tag on stuff about others being wrong and their religion being the one true one that is the problem. This seems to align quite closely to atheism in that Its not "god" they have the problem with persay, its religion in all its manifestations. "god" itself hasnt done anything wrong, and is, in essense, a handy thing to have around.

I agree that if God was only a way of thinking, which respected other ways of thinking and the followers of God didn't try to force their way of thinking on others, most people wouldn't have a problem with it.

I'd like the concept of God to be like musical taste. Most people acknowledge that different people like different kinds of music, and in most cases respect that (you might get laughed at if you say you like S Club 7, but that's deserved :) ) People that like a certain kind of music listen to it either by themselves or with others. They may become inspired, comforted etc by the music they like.

If you really like an artist you might suggest it to a friend, but won't be too offended if the friend listens to it but doesn't enjoy it as much as you do.

If religious taste was as unobtrusive as musical taste I think the world would be a much better place. It's the "sacredness" or religion which makes is so dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

without going down the "theres so much the mind can do what we're not aware of" route (the typical sh1te sprouted by "psychics"), I would agree that, yes, god in this definition would be a human construct. The earth is created by what we know or will know from science, and "god" is a way of thinking, a sort of group meditation that gives people hope and comfort. I'm all for people believing what they want about "god", its the tag on stuff about others being wrong and their religion being the one true one that is the problem.

I dont think people can just believe in god without that tag on stuff. Everyone who believes in god has some idea about him, ie what his powers might be, what he actually does, what they should do to keep him happy. Its peoples disagreements in these that cause all problems and seeing as god in the first a made up human idea, I dont see the point in all that hassle.
    This seems to align quite closely to atheism in that Its not "god" they have the problem with persay, its religion in all its manifestations. "god" itself hasnt done anything wrong, and is, in essense, a handy thing to have around.

I dont know if all atheists would agree with that though, I know i dont. If god was an entity that actually exists according to the Abrahamic religions, I'd have a problem with a lot of the things he did while claiming to be a good, caring being. If god is just a concept, a handy idea, then I have a problem with it actually being a terrible idea that encourages people not to avoid reality when things get difficult (the whole "comfort" thing) as opposed to actually dealing with problems and making your life better.

I agree that if God was only a way of thinking, which respected other ways of thinking and the followers of God didn't try to force their way of thinking on others, most people wouldn't have a problem with it.

I'd like the concept of God to be like musical taste. Most people acknowledge that different people like different kinds of music, and in most cases respect that (you might get laughed at if you say you like S Club 7, but that's deserved :) ) People that like a certain kind of music listen to it either by themselves or with others. They may become inspired, comforted etc by the music they like.

If you really like an artist you might suggest it to a friend, but won't be too offended if the friend listens to it but doesn't enjoy it as much as you do.

If religious taste was as unobtrusive as musical taste I think the world would be a much better place. It's the "sacredness" or religion which makes is so dangerous.

how dare you speak ill of S club :p

I like your comparison.

Let me give you an example, a friends grandmother is very ill, and will die soon. She recieves quite a lot of comfort from prayer, and IMO its helping her at this time. No foul there. Her son is an atheist, and when invited to join her side for prayer one evening refused. If it was me, I'd have no problem joining her, as, its no skin off my nose to help make her feel better, and if I dont believe in "god" in the same way she does, what harm am I doing in comforting her?

I just feel the whole atheism v religion argument is sometimes a bit hypocritical, as its effectively the same as one religion vs another religion argument. It doesnt matter, its the actions of the people involved that matter.

I dont think people can just believe in god without that tag on stuff. Everyone who believes in god has some idea about him, ie what his powers might be, what he actually does, what they should do to keep him happy. Its peoples disagreements in these that cause all problems and seeing as god in the first a made up human idea, I dont see the point in all that hassle.

I dont know if all atheists would agree with that though, I know i dont. If god was an entity that actually exists according to the Abrahamic religions, I'd have a problem with a lot of the things he did while claiming to be a good, caring being. If god is just a concept, a handy idea, then I have a problem with it actually being a terrible idea that encourages people not to avoid reality when things get difficult (the whole "comfort" thing) as opposed to actually dealing with problems and making your life better.

see, in this entire post you're assigning atttributes to "god". I never said "god" was a person, or was responsible for anything that has ever happened.
    I wouldnt be a fan of "god" being somewhere to retreat from reality, merely a group/solo method of relaxation and comfort. At the end of it all, we're still entirely responsible for our own actions outcomes etc etc.

of course the problem could be as soon as people knew and accepted this, it would no longer work, and cease to exist :D

how dare you speak ill of S club :p
    According to Wikipedia it's S Club 3 now :)
    Let me give you an example, a friends grandmother is very ill, and will die soon. She recieves quite a lot of comfort from prayer, and IMO its helping her at this time. No foul there. Her son is an atheist, and when invited to join her side for prayer one evening refused. If it was me, I'd have no problem joining her, as, its no skin off my nose to help make her feel better, and if I dont believe in "god" in the same way she does, what harm am I doing in comforting her?

I my opinion (i.e. in the opinion of an anonymous person, through the internet, who hasn't got any insight into the circumstances of the described situation) her son might have been a been a bit unreasonable.
    I just feel the whole atheism v religion argument is sometimes a bit hypocritical, as its effectively the same as one religion vs another religion argument. It doesnt matter, its the actions of the people involved that matter.

It can get tiring from time to time, however I believe that Religion has been given too much respect in the past. Also in regards to Atheism being a religion, I'm afraid I'll have to counter with this golden oldie; "If atheism is a religion then not collecting stamps is a hobby..."

EDIT: BTW in honour of musical metaphors and sharing musical tase, thanks for posting about "letter from God to man", really liking it!

According to Wikipedia it's S Club 3 now :)

I my opinion (i.e. in the opinion of an anonymous person, through the internet, who hasn't got any insight into the circumstances of the described situation) her son might have been a been a bit unreasonable.

It can get tiring from time to time, however I believe that Religion has been given too much respect in the past. Also in regards to Atheism being a religion, I'm afraid I'll have to counter with this golden oldie; "If atheism is a religion then not collecting stamps is a hobby..."

EDIT: BTW in honour of musical metaphors and sharing musical tase, thanks for posting about "letter from God to man", really liking it!
    s club 3, i know, they play club I do magic in a few weeks back :D

oh I'm definitely not calling atheism a religion or similar, just the argument is similar to arguing religions. I agree with the two much respect given to religions, which is why I started this thread, a confusion about where it fell on the whole "divide"

If you like it, get the album version, the emotion in the delivery is much better in it, the video version is a bit bland in comparison. the Album is called Angles
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angles_(Dan_Le_Sac_Vs_Scroobius_Pip_album)

see, in this entire post you're assigning atttributes to "god". I never said "god" was a person, or was responsible for anything that has ever happened.

How do people believe in something that has no attributes? How do you gain any comfort from something that is completely undefined? You cant believe in something thats undefined, as by believing in it, you are defining it as without defining it, you cant even say what you are believing in.
    I wouldnt be a fan of "god" being somewhere to retreat from reality, merely a group/solo method of relaxation and comfort. At the end of it all, we're still entirely responsible for our own actions outcomes etc etc.

If god is a method for relaxation and comfort, then god is also a retreat from reality as if reality was already relaxing and comforting you wouldn't a method to be relaxed and comforted, you're already there.
    I think you are better off naming this method for relaxation and comfort something besides god. God already has connotations of being an influencing (or capable of influencing) supreme being, and to try to redefine it will just cause problems. It seems closer to spirituality than god anyway.

How do people believe in something that has no attributes? How do you gain any comfort from something that is completely undefined? You cant believe in something thats undefined, as by believing in it, you are defining it as without defining it, you cant even say what you are believing in.

If god is a method for relaxation and comfort, then god is also a retreat from reality as if reality was already relaxing and comforting you wouldn't a method to be relaxed and comforted, you're already there.
    I think you are better off naming this method for relaxation and comfort something besides god. God already has connotations of being an influencing (or capable of influencing) supreme being, and to try to redefine it will just cause problems. It seems closer to spirituality than god anyway.
    Im afraid you're really not getting this. Read my posts again with the word "kaboom" or something else, in place of "god" because im not speaking of anything which one already has connotations about etc.
    If someone needs to relax, its not neccessarily a retreat from reality, by that defintion, we should also discourage anaesthesia for operations? Its merely a way of coping.

As for definition, we can just look at it as something we havent really defined yet, and accept what we DO know about it IE it seems to help people.

Im afraid you're really not getting this. Read my posts again with the word "kaboom" or something else, in place of "god" because im not speaking of anything which one already has connotations about etc.

You said originally: ""god" is a way of thinking, a sort of group meditation that gives people hope and comfort" and you pointed out that your problem with this is the stuff that people tag onto "god". I said that I dont think people can believe in god without any other connotations, as the term god is already associated with so many things, and that you would need to call it something else to avoid these conflicts. When you speak of what someone else believes in (as you did in post 21) then you cant say that that someone doesnt already have connotations associated with that belief.
    If someone needs to relax, its not neccessarily a retreat from reality, by that defintion, we should also discourage anaesthesia for operations? Its merely a way of coping.

There are good ways of coping and bad ways of copying. Anaesthesia helps you cope with the extremes of reality, excruciating pain, and there is nothing wrong with that as it helps you deal with the real problem (ie whatever surgery you are needing that requires anaesthesia). But to go around all day, in an anaesthethic blur, were nothing can hurt you or even effect you is a bad way of coping as it doesnt actually deal with anything that is trying to effect you. Being addicted to drugs is a bad way with coping with life, as when high, you are avoiding real life. God is another bad way of dealing with things, as it makes people ignore the reality of their lives (either by having them believe that ultimately everything is part of gods plan and they cant change that, so nothing they do is really important, or at the end of their lives, god will punish any wrongs that have occured to them).
    Belief in god (defined or otherwise) is a placebo. Something bad happened? Ah well its gods plan dont worry about it. Someone do something wrong? Ah well, they will get their just deserts in the end, dont worry about it. This sort of thing just makes people overly complacent with the crap they get in life, when actually dealing with things (like finding out why accidents occur and trying to avoid them, or developing a fair justice system to punish wrongdoers) makes the world a better place.
    As for definition, we can just look at it as something we havent really defined yet, and accept what we DO know about it IE it seems to help people.

You have just defined it as something that seems to help people, so it is a t least partially defined. However you will get problems when someone starts questioning the best way to help people, if its better to help a lot of people a bit, or a few people a lot etc. By having no real definition you allow all defintions to come in and you cant avoid this because people need definition as the unknown scares them.
    As for god, god has a definition. God is a nightlight. Humans, as they got more intelligent and curious, started to get scared, scared of why the ground shook, why boiling hot rock poured out of mountains, of how the weather seemed to bruise and batter them at will and how they had no real control over anything. So, like a child afraid of the dark, they use a nightlight to feel like they are in control of things, like they can influence something and like ultimately, something bigger is really on their side.
    I'm not a child anymore. I can sleep with the light off and enjoy the dark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

I believe God is the First Cause. It has created consciousness and the consciousness is becoming It.

Tom Paine said his religion was to do good and that his mind was his church. IMO there's no harm in that.

Advertisement