Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All GMIT accommodation related stuff thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Best bet is going for some shared accomodation & forgetting about student acommodation man; both less chance of having some breed of an almighty party keeping you awake all night when you've some important practical the next day/having some breed of security coming banging on your door on the one night you may make noise over a whisper.
    d
    @Dublin Red Devil/Wake_Up_Donnie: Gonna be going to GMIT myself as a mature in Med. Science (hopefully) in September myself. If y'all are looking for extra matures for some gaff: count me in.

No not a good organizer mate but if you or other matures are getting a private house. I'd be willing to join in an pay my fair share, Rigth now I'm leaning toward Court na Rasai, But i'm open to better options

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

I'm more of a dreamer then a planner most of the time, which I guess has come in handy in scoping the property sites for alternatives. From what I've seen, even taking into account an inclusion of electricity and other utilities into the prices of student accomodation, it is far cheaper to find an actual residential place. Also, there's more chance of the non-student accommodation being properly built, with real walls with true sound/heat insulation, compared to the units they've thrown up to just make money.

*I'm mildly subjective. Thomond Student Village in LIT sort of soured me towards student accomodation a few years back, along with friends opinions towards how the management companies generally will try to squeeze every red cent out of a person once the second term finishes.

**Thomond in LIT can be very good craic for those beginning into Uni, but it's not conducive to actually attending the majority of ones classes. Compare it the NUIG's Corrib Village I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 girl111

I have got a single room to rent in Gleann na Ri, 2 bedroom apt, 75 Euro per week, all mods included in rent - broadband, bins, washing machine etc, great condition, close to GMIT. PM for details if interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Is Gleann na Ri just students or is it possible to live with someone who is not going to college?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Murphster

Any pointers on good locations to rent for mature students? Driving is an option but probably not feasible for parking everyday. Somewhere within walking distance...

• Advertisement

My number one tip for anyone booking accom for GMIT.

STAY AWAY FROM GLASAN

I'm so confused as to where is good to live. Some say Glasan and then others say avoid it.. What is the best student accommodation in walking distance to Dublin Rd GMIT? :confused:

I've heard some very nice things about renmore, if you find a good spot.

I'm so confused as to where is good to live. Some say Glasan and then others say avoid it.. What is the best student accommodation in walking distance to Dublin Rd GMIT? :confused:

What are you?
    What year are you going into?
    Are you going to study or to have the craic?

Answers to these will help my recomndation

What are you?
    What year are you going into?
    Are you going to study or to have the craic?

Answers to these will help my recomndation

Male,
    First Year
    Mainly study :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Glasán is not for mature students. I haven't heard a single positive thing about the place in the last year from any student in all honesty. I think College Road would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stevieire

Hey. I'm a new gmit student. I'm going to the arts campas . I'm looking to rent a room around the wellpark, collage road area. I know I'm on the ball area but I'm looking for the best possible place. If anyone knows of anyone looking in the same area, or any sound places going. Give us a shout. Just looking for a grand place with a good student atmosphere, close to collage. Cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Male,
    First Year
    Mainly study :)

You dont want to be near Glasan if you plan on going to college and or studying. Try Renmore, Wellpark, Ballybane etc for houseshares.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

stevieire wrote: »
    Hey. I'm a new gmit student. I'm going to the arts campas . I'm looking to rent a room around the wellpark, collage road area. I know I'm on the ball area but I'm looking for the best possible place. If anyone knows of anyone looking in the same area, or any sound places going. Give us a shout. Just looking for a grand place with a good student atmosphere, close to collage. Cheers in advance

if you dont mind to stay with 2 male( working ) ,they have a single room to rent in Gleann Rua.

they both working in a city restaurant|

You dont want to be near Glasan if you plan on going to college and or studying. Try Renmore, Wellpark, Ballybane etc for houseshares.

How would I go about getting a houseshare in them places? I don't know anyone in Galway and won't know if i got in until the LC results :confused:

How would I go about getting a houseshare in them places? I don't know anyone in Galway and won't know if i got in until the LC results :confused:

Use daft or the Galway Advertiser, same as everyone else.

Check daft under their sharing tab. Make sure to take at least one day up in Galway checking out the places you may rent though: you do not want to end up renting a shack. The likelihood of that is very low, but it does pay to check accommodation in person. Either way, whatever independent place you find will be better then your average student village cardboard-walled community.

Renting a room in an independent house will be cheaper then purpose-built student accommodation, but you will need to budget for utilities, rather then having a corporation eat through your deposit paying electricity etc.

Depending on the insulation rating of the house, heating system, electricity provider & just how smart/stupid your flatmates are with their usage, these could range from €150-€300+ per month spilt between the household.

Independent renting/sharing is the way to go, compared to the alternative, but it does mean watching your own charges monthly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 culinary arts mature

room for rent outside Galway on a main road into the city, suitable for mature students, 20-30 min commute in the mornings, bus stops outside the door in the morning and drops you to the nearest town in the evenings (20min walk). It drops off and picks up at GMIT. Its a 3 bed place and 2 live here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shownah

How is Gleann na Rí for accomodation? Just after booking it, but was hoping it would be a quiet enough place? Defo don't like the sound of Glasán!

I hink Glasan has taken away much of the louder element that Gleann na Ri had years ago so id say its somewhat quieter down there.

• Advertisement

I am hearing of allot of party animals from other accom, going to glasan for more craic this year.

Warning, If you have any thoughts of getting a nights sleep or getting any study done. Stay away from Glasan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paddysheehan87

Hi, i am a 27yr old starting gmit this sept as a mature student. i am looking for a room to rent in a house preferably with other students. if anyone knows of any vacancies it would be greatly appreciated. i dont really want to rent out a house because of cost...and i know nobody to move in there.
    thanks
    patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paddysheehan87

room for rent outside Galway on a main road into the city, suitable for mature students, 20-30 min commute in the mornings, bus stops outside the door in the morning and drops you to the nearest town in the evenings (20min walk). It drops off and picks up at GMIT. Its a 3 bed place and 2 live here already.

hi, im a mature student and this sounds ideal for me. i am gonna study hotel management in gmit. anything else you can tell me about it?

Well guys, I know Castlepark and the surroundings are supposed to be a bit rough but could any Galway head tell me anything about Ard Alainn? Houses look pretty well set up&the surroundings and proximity to GMIT are ok but I'm curious as to whether there's anything i may be overlooking.

Well guys, I know Castlepark and the surroundings are supposed to be a bit rough but could any Galway head tell me anything about Ard Alainn? Houses look pretty well set up&the surroundings and proximity to GMIT are ok but I'm curious as to whether there's anything i may be overlooking.

Better off posting in the Galway city thread, doubt there are many here who can help, id never heard of the estate till you mentioned it. Castlepark has its rough element but also a lot of perfectly nice families too, there are a couple of less desirable estates up around there, possibly Fana Glas and Beal Srutha but not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

As Ben said post in the City forum too.

Funny you should mention beal srutha and fans glas: both those estates are on the left of the entrance road which ard alainn is on the right hand side of.. Not looking good :/ Ty for the info: think I'll just do some "feet-on-the-ground recon/ask around through what gmit heads that I've access to.

Funny you should mention beal srutha and fans glas: both those estates are on the left of the entrance road which ard alainn is on the right hand side of.. Not looking good :/ Ty for the info: think I'll just do some "feet-on-the-ground recon/ask around through what gmit heads that I've access to.

In fairness theres not much point asking GMIT heads as unless you live there its nothing more than hearsay, youll get useful repsonses in the GC forum. Feet on the ground would be good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Another mature student about to head to GMIT this September. Only just got my offer for the final year in Civil Engineering but haven't searched for anywhere to stay yet. Would be looking to house/flat share with other mature/final year students. Dont hesitate to PM me with best places/areas to look at:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 FatSnacks

Just after accepting my offer to GMIT for Bar & Restaurant Management in Galway and I was wondering about accommodation. Where do all the freshers usually stay? I've looked at GMIT's website and they have Glasan, Cuirt Na Rasi and Glenn Na Ri listed. Does anyone have any info about what these places are like? Or is there other student villages? Thanks in advance

Advertisement