Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LaVeyan Satanism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I really regret not supported the satanism forum on feedback now so that this retarded **** would be kept somewhere else.

for gods sake people, satanism? how daring.

Care to expand on that? I think it's quite a fascinating philosophy, not sure why you're being so petulant about it.

Dades wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure what a "highly strung, self righteous anthropomorphic migraine" is, but it sounds suspiciously like an insult.

Careful now, Hivemind.

"Quite frankly I avoid prosecution through sheer baffling verbosity".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

tbh I don't see many people associating atheism with Satanism (Le Veyan or not).

People are either going to assume its some new-age stuff and automatically disassociate atheism with it, just as paganism in general is. Or classify is as yet more egocentric psychobabble and dismiss it off hand as general wackiness.

Either way its doesn't affect atheism one iota. Storm met teacup.

You would be surprised. I know a lot of people who automatically assume Satanism when they hear Atheism, encountered it a lot in the States and online. It's a bit naïve to assume it doesn't affect Atheism at all, I reckon you could find an awful lot of Catholics here who think they're one and the same, too.

People can be a lot dumber than you give them credit for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

liah wrote: »
    You would be surprised. I know a lot of people who automatically assume Satanism when they hear Atheism, encountered it a lot in the States and online. It's a bit naïve to assume it doesn't affect Atheism at all, I reckon you could find an awful lot of Catholics here who think they're one and the same, too.

People can be a lot dumber than you give them credit for.

So in effect you're saying atheism should be concerned because some people are too stupid to understand the single defining concept involved, ie. no god(s)?

That says more about them than it does about atheism in my view.

Would you care to elaborate how in any real tangible way their views impact on atheism ?

So in effect you're saying atheism should be concerned because some people are too stupid to understand the single defining concept involved, ie. no god(s)?

That says more about them than it does about atheism in my view.

Would you care to elaborate how in any real tangible way their views impact on atheism ?

It's not just "some people," it's one hell of a lot of people. Would you not be concerned that hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of people are spreading the idea that Atheism is devil worship?

I've not lived here long so I've no idea about the impact here so maybe in this country there's no reason to be concerned, but in North America it's incredibly damaging. The flak Atheists take because of quasi-Atheists parading around with the title of Satanism is astounding. Regardless of what type of Satanism they're subscribed to, it doesn't change the original idea and most people are going to look no further than the title, because that's enough to scare them into thinking all Atheists are the same. I've witnessed it on many, many occasions, and it's not something to be taken lightly.

Atheists have enough trouble as it is, for Satanists to go around equating Atheism with their religion is only going to make it worse, and that's exactly what they're doing-- it will not end well.

Again, since this stems from the thread in PI I'll reference it again: an Irish Catholic was scared of his friend because his friend said "Satanism and Atheism are the only two things that make sense to him," thus placing Atheism and Satanism on the same level and leading the poster to be afraid of him. The first few comments in the same post were saying he basically had every right to be scared because of rituals and bloody sacrifices and all that rot. Do you really want that to be the image of Atheism?

It's like how most Christians hate the Westboro Baptist Church (Fred Phelps and company). It gives a bad image about the religion itself because it equates itself to the overall image of Christianity, when it couldn't be further from what Christianity truly preaches-- peace and acceptance. Just like Satanism couldn't be further from what Atheism is about-- a total lack of religion and ceremony (spirituality doesn't equate into the basic definition of atheism).

You can decry the ignorance of others all you want and say it's their fault for not learning, but that doesn't change anything. Of course it's not our faults others are ignorant. I get that. But the least we could do is disassociate ourselves from Satanism to get that bad rep off our backs, not join the two, it only makes the image more fearsome when what we really need is people to appear sensible and level-headed, not appear like people with a vendetta against Christianity sacrificing goats under a full moon, regardless of whether or not that happens. It's still the conclusion most people are going to jump to, whether you like it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

It's not just "some people," it's one hell of a lot of people. Would you not be concerned that hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of people are spreading the idea that Atheism is devil worship?
    Can't say I'd be unduly concerned. Its no different than fuddies saying that Hinduism, Buddhism,etc are really worshipping the devil. They might believe it, they might profess it from on high, but no one is buying what they're selling (at least here in good 'ol Ireland).
    I've not lived here long so I've no idea about the impact here so maybe in this country there's no reason to be concerned, but in North America it's incredibly damaging.
    I'm happy to conceed the point that Americans are *ahem* special.
    The flak Atheists take because of quasi-Atheists parading around with the title of Satanism is astounding. Regardless of what type of Satanism they're subscribed to, it doesn't change the original idea and most people are going to look no further than the title, because that's enough to scare them into thinking all Atheists are the same. I've witnessed it on many, many occasions, and it's not something to be taken lightly.
    It seems odd to me that people would associate a 'religion' which believes in the devil and by extension a god which a belief in no gods.
    Again, since this stems from the thread in PI I'll reference it again: an Irish Catholic was scared of his friend because his friend said "Satanism and Atheism are the only two things that make sense to him," thus placing Atheism and Satanism on the same level and leading the poster to be afraid of him. The first few comments in the same post were saying he basically had every right to be scared because of rituals and bloody sacrifices and all that rot. Do you really want that to be the image of Atheism?
    One swallow doesn't make a summer.
    You can decry the ignorance of others all you want and say it's their fault for not learning, but that doesn't change anything. Of course it's not our faults others are ignorant. I get that. But the least we could do is disassociate ourselves from Satanism to get that bad rep off our backs, not join the two, it only makes the image more fearsome when what we really need is people to appear sensible and level-headed, not appear like people with a vendetta against Christianity sacrificing goats under a full moon, regardless of whether or not that happens. It's still the conclusion most people are going to jump to, whether you like it or not.
    The thing is no one takes this stuff seriously, at least no one worth considering. If you spent your life worrying what every fruit-bat thought of you you'd get nowhere.

I agree with you overall, but it's not like it's just a couple people. Like I said, I've no idea what it's like here, but it's a real problem back in North America. Cause of a lot of abuse, physical and emotional, and a lot of oppression and misinformation when that's the last thing we need. A lot of the dirty south of the States is completely brainwashed into believing Atheists work for the devil, they raise their kids with the same beliefs, the kids move on, start families elsewhere, so on, so forth, so it goes.

Not good, imo. Not good at all, especially when we're finally starting to get ourselves taken seriously, it's all being ripped apart from the inside. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

So you're answer is to separate yourself from Satanists.

OK.

What about Humanists? They have ceremonies. Better distance yourself from them too.

What about agnostics? Well they dont believe in organised religions but they have doubts over the existance of god rather than outright disbelief. Better distance yourself from them to so that no one gets the wrong impression.

do you have jewish friends? Catholic friends? Muslim friends? Gay friends? Black friends? Irish friends?

All of the above have been declared in the service of the devil or devil worshippers by some crowd of whackos at some point in history.

Frankly the most dangerous person there is on this topic is you. You are expounding on the subject as fact when it is entirely your opinion.

It is nothing more than reinforcing the position that Satanism is detrimental by validating their irrational belief. Saying that atheists should separate themselves from anyone indicates that they are somehow "undesireable" because of the connotations placed on their ideas by religious people - people who will assume atheists are evil with or without reference to the CoS.

Furthermore, your declaration that Satanism is not Athiesm is an opinion - not a fact. Continuing to say so belies an astounding ignorance on your part and an immense arrogance - precisely the same failing you accuse religious fundamentalist of when they call Atheism devil worship.

From the dictionary

A-the-ism
    1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
    2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

I'll say this again, clearly, Satanism is a personal philosophy which caters to the emotional need for dogma, ritual and ceremony in the full knowledge that such things are engaged in only for their benefit to the individual and not out of any belief in the supernatural. There is no belief in a diety. There is no belief in actual supernatural occurance. There is only the development of the self and the holding of the self in the highest regard.

It is a personal philosophy that happens to be atheistic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

and the naming of your philosophies after the enemy of God. that's definitely very mature.

and the naming of your philosophies after the enemy of God. that's definitely very mature.

A bit like naming yourself after the posterior of a fictional captain?

Glass houses and all Mord...

• Advertisement

I'm not writing an epic piece of literature defending my nick though, am I.

also, I didn't choose this greatness it was thrust upon me.

I'm not writing an epic piece of literature defending my nick though, am I.

also, I didn't choose this greatness it was thrust upon me.

This should help.

NALA.

They can even teach you the big words so as you wont feel left out anymore.

So you're answer is to separate yourself from Satanists.

OK.

What about Humanists? They have ceremonies. Better distance yourself from them too.

What about agnostics? Well they dont believe in organised religions but they have doubts over the existance of god rather than outright disbelief. Better distance yourself from them to so that no one gets the wrong impression.

do you have jewish friends? Catholic friends? Muslim friends? Gay friends? Black friends? Irish friends?

All of the above have been declared in the service of the devil or devil worshippers by some crowd of whackos at some point in history.

Frankly the most dangerous person there is on this topic is you. You are expounding on the subject as fact when it is entirely your opinion.

It is nothing more than reinforcing the position that Satanism is detrimental by validating their irrational belief. Saying that atheists should separate themselves from anyone indicates that they are somehow "undesireable" because of the connotations placed on their ideas by religious people - people who will assume atheists are evil with or without reference to the CoS.

Furthermore, your declaration that Satanism is not Athiesm is an opinion - not a fact. Continuing to say so belies an astounding ignorance on your part and an immense arrogance - precisely the same failing you accuse religious fundamentalist of when they call Atheism devil worship.

I'll say this again, clearly, Satanism is a personal philosophy which caters to the emotional need for dogma, ritual and ceremony in the full knowledge that such things are engaged in only for their benefit to the individual and not out of any belief in the supernatural. There is no belief in a diety. There is no belief in actual supernatural occurance. There is only the development of the self and the holding of the self in the highest regard.

Sigh, you still don't get it.

Humanists as a group aren't wilfully perceived as goat-sacrificing, evil people obsessed with all things horrible and bad, murder, torture, etc. Neither are Christians, Muslims, Jews, Catholics, gays or agnostics. Neither of the aforementioned religions or sects draw upon a need to betray the greater good, now, do they? But that's essentially what's implied in the title of Satanism by the common definition and perception of Satan.

You still don't understand the fact that I'm talking about how people perceive Satanism, and not how I perceive Satanism, do you? Jesus.

You can explain it to me all you please, but the problem is it doesn't change a thing-- I already understand Satanism just fine, what my point is is that not very many other people do. It's naught to do with the fact that they do ceremonies. It's the fact that the ceremonies perceived to be done are horrible and violent and bloody.

Hell, I don't even understand why Satanists themselves want to be associated with such a reputation. Really, as has been discussed, the reason for being a Satanist is to go against the Christian doctrine about worshipping the sky-daddy, to promote a sense of self, and it is apparently greatly Atheistic (despite the root of the word meaning "lack of religion"), why on earth would you want the general populace to perceive you that way? What's so wrong with.. well, being a humanist? Or just not following anything at all, and being content in your own beliefs without feeling like you have to conform to something?

Despite all your protestations about ignorance, people are just like that. They are always going to perceive Satanism as a horrible thing. And that comes from the root of your bloody religion's title. You can't possibly blame them for being ignorant parading around under a name like that. If you want ceremony and all that rot, why does it have to be all "Hail Satan?" You KNOW how that will come across, don't you dare blame me for it.

I'm not a humanist, by the way. I don't really feel the need to subscribe to anything, I'm content with my own moral code, and if I want ceremony in my life then I create it for myself in the form of traditions that owe nothing to anyone but myself.

I think it's real classy the way you ignored my post where I asked if you'd elaborate, and instead posted yet another vapid hit and run attack.

well i'm not really paying attention to the thread, and vapid hit and run attacks are kinda my thing

Zillah wrote: »
    Care to expand on that? I think it's quite a fascinating philosophy, not sure why you're being so petulant about it.

basically because it's a religion, if you want a religion we have thousands already on the books there is no need to go around starting new ones. Especially not new ones named after the grand lord of evil in christianity, the great western religion. It's ****ing retarded. Why name it after satan if you're not going for some kind of emo reaction from christians. Satan is their guy, they own him and trying to appropriate him just smacks of trying to be leet, or whatever the emo version of leet is.

/wrists

Sigh, you still don't get it.

Humanists as a group aren't wilfully perceived as goat-sacrificing, evil people obsessed with all things horrible and bad, murder, torture, etc. Neither are Christians, Muslims, Jews, Catholics, gays or agnostics. Neither of the aforementioned religions or sects draw upon a need to betray the greater good, now, do they? But that's essentially what's implied in the title of Satanism by the common definition and perception of Satan.

You still don't understand the fact that I'm talking about how people perceive Satanism, and not how I perceive Satanism, do you? Jesus.

You can explain it to me all you please, but the problem is it doesn't change a thing-- I already understand Satanism just fine, what my point is is that not very many other people do. It's naught to do with the fact that they do ceremonies. It's the fact that the ceremonies perceived to be done are horrible and violent and bloody.

Hell, I don't even understand why Satanists themselves want to be associated with such a reputation. Really, as has been discussed, the reason for being a Satanist is to go against the Christian doctrine about worshipping the sky-daddy, to promote a sense of self, and it is apparently greatly Atheistic (despite the root of the word meaning "lack of religion"), why on earth would you want the general populace to perceive you that way? What's so wrong with.. well, being a humanist? Or just not following anything at all, and being content in your own beliefs without feeling like you have to conform to something?

Despite all your protestations about ignorance, people are just like that. They are always going to perceive Satanism as a horrible thing. And that comes from the root of your bloody religion's title. You can't possibly blame them for being ignorant parading around under a name like that. If you want ceremony and all that rot, why does it have to be all "Hail Satan?" You KNOW how that will come across, don't you dare blame me for it.

I'm not a humanist, by the way. I don't really feel the need to subscribe to anything, I'm content with my own moral code, and if I want ceremony in my life then I create it for myself in the form of traditions that owe nothing to anyone but myself.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah...

Again, I challenge you:

YOU are the worst of the problem because YOU validate such ignorance by demanding that others change their ways to make themselves more palettable to the ignorant.

It is no different than walking into Harlem and saying "You know, if you were whiter you wouldnt get half the flak you get now"

Or walking into a gay pride meeting and demanding "Look, stop having the man-sex, thats why people are shouting at you and beating you in the streets - Gawd, its like soooo obvious you know!".

All of your commentary would suggest that you can't actually back up your claim that you "understand stanism".

So far your failures have been

1) You display no willingness to accept that something you said may have upset someone yet you demand that no one treat you in a similar way.
    2) You have formed reductionist opinions and expressed them while openly admiting that you have no more than a passing familiarity with the subject.
    3) You have openly stated that you have not read the rest of the thread and apparently care not to.
    4) You are having an argument with someone who went to bat on your behalf.
    5) Continuing to expound your opinions as fact.
    6) Use of "the argument from personal experience" as a jusitfier for those opinions being fact.
    7) Continuing wilfull ignorance with the unbelievable claim that you infact know what you are talking about.
    8) Hypocricy.
    9) The validation of those you are criticising (religious loonies).
    10) Outright refusing to aknowledge any information or to expand your knowledge "Explain it to me all you want ..."
    11) Inconsistency "I undertand ..." later one saying "Hell, I dont understand why ..."
    12) A childish dissociation with responsibility "Dont blame me for my reactions ..." - how is that different to an anti-semite saying "don't blame me for my reactions, they had dradles and killed christ!".

The fact that you can finish your post with that last paragraph about how you dont want to be labelled blah blah blah is the height of hypocricy.

Again ... the definition of atheism is

From the dictionary

A-the-ism

basically because it's a religion, if you want a religion we have thousands already on the books there is no need to go around starting new ones. Especially not new ones named after the grand lord of evil in christianity, the great western religion. It's ****ing retarded. Why name it after satan if you're not going for some kind of emo reaction from christians. Satan is their guy, they own him and trying to appropriate him just smacks of trying to be leet, or whatever the emo version of leet is.

/wrists

Again, you need NALA.

Satan is a derivation of Shaitan, Hebrew for "Accuser". If anything the Jews own him.

The Christian devil is a combination character of Beelzebub, Shaitan and later Lucifer and Pan.

Lucifer being the Greek muse of light and inspiration.
    Pan being a pagan demi-god of fertility.
    Shaitan being the Accuser
    Beelzebub a Philistine insectoid god.

So take your pick, damn near everyone has a claim before the Christians.

Furthermore, just to take another dig at your prejudices, the icon of Satan is invoked precisely because of the context, but not to get a rise out of christians - its to get a rise out of the one invoking it. Emotional content.

Its is like a finger pointing away to the moon ... dont concentrate on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory ...*

*five uber-geek points for the first one to spot the movie reference.

for the love of god just start another satanism form request on the forums board, then you can all go there and talk about how awesome you are.

for the love of god just start another satanism form request on the forums board, then you can all go there and talk about how awesome you are.

Raus! Raus!! Mit Dem Sturmer gegen Juda Satan!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mord, you're not really helping this thread out the mire. In fact you have your boot on it's head.

Everybody relax, in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Its is like a finger pointing away to the moon ... dont concentrate on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory ...*

*five uber-geek points for the first one to spot the movie reference.

Bruce Lee to young student in "Enter The Dragon", whilst coaching him on his kicks.

Nodin wrote: »
    Bruce Lee to young student in "Enter The Dragon", whilst coaching him on his kicks.

One packet of five uber-geek points to Nodin ;)

Blah blah blah blah blah blah...

Again, I challenge you:

YOU are the worst of the problem because YOU validate such ignorance by demanding that others change their ways to make themselves more palettable to the ignorant.

It is no different than walking into Harlem and saying "You know, if you were whiter you wouldnt get half the flak you get now"

Or walking into a gay pride meeting and demanding "Look, stop having the man-sex, thats why people are shouting at you and beating you in the streets - Gawd, its like soooo obvious you know!".

All of your commentary would suggest that you can't actually back up your claim that you "understand stanism".

So far your failures have been

1) You display no willingness to accept that something you said may have upset someone yet you demand that no one treat you in a similar way.
    2) You have formed reductionist opinions and expressed them while openly admiting that you have no more than a passing familiarity with the subject.
    3) You have openly stated that you have not read the rest of the thread and apparently care not to.
    4) You are having an argument with someone who went to bat on your behalf.
    5) Continuing to expound your opinions as fact.
    6) Use of "the argument from personal experience" as a jusitfier for those opinions being fact.
    7) Continuing wilfull ignorance with the unbelievable claim that you infact know what you are talking about.
    8) Hypocricy.
    9) The validation of those you are criticising (religious loonies).
    10) Outright refusing to aknowledge any information or to expand your knowledge "Explain it to me all you want ..."
    11) Inconsistency "I undertand ..." later one saying "Hell, I dont understand why ..."
    12) A childish dissociation with responsibility "Dont blame me for my reactions ..." - how is that different to an anti-semite saying "don't blame me for my reactions, they had dradles and killed christ!".

The fact that you can finish your post with that last paragraph about how you dont want to be labelled blah blah blah is the height of hypocricy.

Again ... the definition of atheism is

From the dictionary

A-the-ism

You clearly didn't read a single word of what I wrote, because not a single item in your response indicates you did.

Re-read what I wrote and then respond (without taking things out of context ie. your "understand" and "explain it to me" statements) once you ACTUALLY get an understanding of what I'm saying. At the moment you're trying disturbingly hard to make yourself look big, but you're failing miserably because you're making it blatantly obvious you haven't comprehended what I've written.

I don't see how I can dumb it down any more.

Raus! Raus!! Mit Dem Sturmer gegen Juda Satan!!

did you really just compare yourself to the jews in nazi germany?

No, I Godwin'd you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

It's a perfectly cromulent form of argument, otherwise known as Reductio ad Hitlerum

Frankly it's our fault for forcing you to repeatedly return to a thread you have no interest in reading.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go to the golf forum and complain for two days that they should stop talking about a sport I have no interest in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

A naive set of rules.

• Advertisement

you're such a nazi zillah.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement