Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Vs. Religion

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I don't know if you could use the word unprejudiced but they have funded and encouraged people in history to practice science, like the Templeton foundation. So they have supported it with a bias towards wanting to prove what they already believe.

Science can't prove things. It can't prove what Catholics already believe since the Bible doesn't tell us much about how the natural world works. It is concerned with other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Galvasean wrote: »
    Hey, i said practically the same thing:

Then we're agreed :)
    Húrin wrote: »
    Hold on, so how does this demonstrate that Christianity has always opposed rational enquiry? How do you square the fact that Christianity fostered science with the claim that the two are fundamentally opposed?

I never said they were :) That's something you'll find about atheists, we only actually have one thing in common, there is no atheist doctrine. The idea of faith is fundamentally opposed to the scientific method because it makes a virtue of accepting something without proof which is a "sin" in science but organised religion has not always been actively suppressing science. It's more that science has rejected religion than religion has rejected science tbh

Science can't prove things. It can't prove what Catholics already believe since the Bible doesn't tell us much about how the natural world works. It is concerned with other things.

I think the Templeton foundation and many christians would disagree with you there. I think it's more that the bible tells us a good bit about how the world works but science has already rejected those explanations long ago so the religious did a bit of mind bending and said that those bits were never actually meant literally and were supposed to be metaphorical or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

The majority of people who have ever lived have not found religion to be at loggerheads with observable reality.

I have two points to make on this:
    1. Mea culpla: I have been poisoned by the creationism thread and no longer instantly distinguish between 'religion' and creationism.

2. The majority of people have lived, and continue to live, in ignorance of scientific discoveries. If you can reconcile creationism with observable and observed reality, I'd be very, very interested to hear it. However, if you're more into the vaguer, less specific 'religion,' then I'm sure most people who have lived are happy and able to hide their God in the various nooks and crannies of the as yet unknown.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Christianity is not "just as likely" to suppress science. There are insufficient examples for you to credibly argue this.
    Two words:

"George" and "Bush".

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I never said they were :) That's something you'll find about atheists, we only actually have one thing in common, there is no atheist doctrine.

The idea of faith is fundamentally opposed to the scientific method because it makes a virtue of accepting something without proof which is a "sin" in science but organised religion has not always been actively suppressing science. It's more that science has rejected religion than religion has rejected science tbh
    Actually most of the atheists on this forum are quite homogenous in their opinions. Differences tend to be slight. Most of you are not simply atheists, but rather humanists, with a smaller naturalist contingent. I haven't found a poster here yet who does not "believe in science" (to make a long story short).

If faith is fundamentally opposed to the scientific method then how did it foster that method? How can something originate in its antithesis?

I assume by proof you mean evidence, since science is not about proof either. Faith is not about accepting things without evidence. It often involves evidence not favoured by science, because it deals with things that are outside the interests of science.
    the religious did a bit of mind bending and said that those bits were never actually meant literally and were supposed to be metaphorical or something
    In the 5th century St Augustine himself wrote that the Genesis creation account should not be taken literally. The idea that Christians before Darwin were all young earth creationists is another myth. If you're not talking about that let me know.

• Advertisement

2Scoops wrote: »
    I have two points to make on this:
    1. Mea culpla: I have been poisoned by the creationism thread and no longer instantly distinguish between 'religion' and creationism.

That's your problem not mine.

That's your problem not mine.

How magnanimous of you to accept my apology with such grace! And point number 2?

robindch wrote: »
    Two words:

"George" and "Bush".

And I shudder to think what a McCain/Palin administration would have done to the NIH budget. :eek:

2Scoops wrote: »
    And I shudder to think what a McCain/Palin administration would have done to the NIH budget. :eek:

I would find the business interests of such people much more worrying than whatever their "religious" whims are.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Christianity is not "just as likely" to suppress science. There are insufficient examples for you to credibly argue this.

Sure it is (well to try at least).

The most prominent example would be evolution. You have Christians (yes not all of them, but a very vocal minority) who actively try to have it removed from schools and constantly try to misrepresent it to put people off the idea. For every person lost to Creationism there goes someone who may have had the potential to further scientific advancement.

Probably the second most obvious example that is relevent to modern times is that of stem cell research. As you said they do not deny it's existence, but oppononents of it are holding back the probable scientific advancements to be found in this research (For the record I'm not commenting on whether or not it is ethical as science by definition does not necessarily have to be ethical, but thats a different debate altogether). Similar to what happens re: evolution, some opponents of stem cell research distort and misrepresent the facts in order to make it seem less useful than it most likely is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Galvasean wrote: »
    Probably the second most obvious example that is relevent to modern times is that of stem cell research. As you said they do not deny it's existence, but oppononents of it are holding back the probable scientific advancements to be found in this research (For the record I'm not commenting on whether or not it is ethical as science by definition does not necessarily have to be ethical, but thats a different debate altogether).
    From my understanding most Christians oppose stem research for ethical reasons, I'm not sure how you can separate the two. Their issue is the source of these cells, rather than the research itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Actually most of the atheists on this forum are quite homogenous in their opinions. Differences tend to be slight. Most of you are not simply atheists, but rather humanists, with a smaller naturalist contingent. I haven't found a poster here yet who does not "believe in science" (to make a long story short).
    Well I'm glad you're here to tell us our beliefs. I think we'll go on using the term atheists thanks

When you say you've yet to find a poster who doesn't "believe" in science I'd call that "bleedin obvious". All that means is atheists tend to think rationally. For example believing in evolution doesn't make you "a typical atheist" any more than believing 1+1=2 does. It makes you a rational person who accepts facts which are presented to you. My point is that atheists don't have to have the same opinion although it may appear that we often do to a christian. That doesn't mean we're homogeneous, it means we accept reality over fantasy. It's not similar opinions, it's acceptance of facts
    If faith is fundamentally opposed to the scientific method then how did it foster that method? How can something originate in its antithesis?
    Because sometimes christians forgot about faith and instead actually studied things. Dawkins thinks they do it by compartmentalising of the mind where they shut off the illogical faith part and instead use the rational part. When people operate without faith we get penicillin and surgery, when they operate with it we get trepanning and praying for a miracle instead of taking medicine. Or in one very sad case, a catholic maid in the 19th century baptised a sick jewish child to "save his life" and the child was then taken from the parents because they didn't want a "catholic child" being raised by jewish parents. So just because someone might be a devout christian doesn't mean they use faith in their scientific endeavours
    I assume by proof you mean evidence, since science is not about proof either. Faith is not about accepting things without evidence. It often involves evidence not favoured by science, because it deals with things that are outside the interests of science.
    I assume you mean evidence such as evidence from personal experience. Untestable, unverifiable, unfalsifiable evidence, ie not evidence but actually wishful thinking. Or what kind of evidence do you mean?
    In the 5th century St Augustine himself wrote that the Genesis creation account should not be taken literally. The idea that Christians before Darwin were all young earth creationists is another myth. If you're not talking about that let me know.

I'm now hesitant to quote a passage because if I say it means A, you'll be able to find 25 sources telling me it means everything from B to Z but that it most definitely does not mean A, that's just what it appears to mean if you read the text

There are people who run the entire range from believing none of the miracles to believing the literal word of the bible who all call themselves christians and none of them can tell the rest that they're wrong because none of them has anything to back up their opinion. It's just what they think

Augustine said it shouldn't be taken literally but that doesn't mean everyone of the time thought that. There are many people even today who don't think that. And how did Augustine decide which particular parts should be taken literally and which are metaphorical? There's nothing in the bible to indicate which parts are literal and which metaphorical so to get back to my original point, it seems to me the parts that we know for a fact can't be true are "metaphorical" and the parts that there's some doubt about are literal. And in all likelihood someday we'll prove all the miracles didn't happen so some more mental gymnastics will be done and they'll all be metaphorical

If I'm wrong, by what criteria do you decide that, say, Adam and Eve and the destruction of Sodom are metaphors but the resurrection and water into wine are historical facts? Personally I see nothing to suggest that one physically impossible event is any more likely to be literal than any other

And if Adam and Eve are metaphors, how do you reconcile that with the fact that Jesus died to save us from an original sin that was never actually committed because Eve never existed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Naz_st wrote: »
    Science in its broadest sense, that being simply the pursuit of knowledge, is not at loggerheads with Religion. But Science when used in its more normal sense incorporates the concept of the Scientific Method, a fundamental axiom for scientific progress and critical thinking. I think there is a dichotomy here since the very concepts of the scientific method (e.g. observability, measurability, falsifiability, testability, predictive quality, theory improvement and replacement, confirmability, peer review) are fundamentally antithetical to the basic concept of Theistic Religion (e.g. conformity, absolute truth, infallibility, faith). There's just no getting around it.

You cant seperate Science and the Scientific Method, they are one in the same thing. When you say science in its broadest sense is the pursuit of knowledge, how do you think science accumulates this knowledge? Its with the scientific method as thats what defines the accumulation of knowledge as being scientific.
    That doesn't mean that all scientists should be atheists, they simply need not apply their scientific thinking to their religious beliefs.

Which is a little hipocritical. Science is good enough for their work, but not good enough for their beliefs? Why do science at all if you wont apply it to your beliefs? This still does not necessarily mean that all scientists should be atheists I'll admit, but only because not all science deals directly with subjects that are of interest to religion. Those that do, really should apply their scientific thinking towards their beliefs, at least so they can be honest with themselves.
    However, the problem with that thinking these days is that science is advancing into areas that have been historically left in the domain of Religion: the psychology of religion, the evolutionary need for religion, "spiritual" experiences and the biochemistry of the human brain, abiogenesis, the moment of creation, the evolution of morals, etc. With Scientific knowledge marching ever on, with the core concepts of the scientific method as its battering ram, it seems that the scientific "magisteria" is slowly consuming the religious one.

Science has always been advancing into areas that have been in the domain of religion, ever since the first man climbed up Mnt Olympus and noticed the distinct lack of gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

You cant seperate Science and the Scientific Method, they are one in the same thing. When you say science in its broadest sense is the pursuit of knowledge, how do you think science accumulates this knowledge?

The word "science" comes from the latin word for "knowledge" so in its broadest sense, as simply the accumulation of knowledge, it can't really stand in opposition to anything. But the more important and relevant aspect of science is the scientific method:
    Its with the scientific method as thats what defines the accumulation of knowledge as being scientific.
    Yeah, that was my point... :confused:
    Which is a little hipocritical. Science is good enough for their work, but not good enough for their beliefs? Why do science at all if you wont apply it to your beliefs? This still does not necessarily mean that all scientists should be atheists I'll admit, but only because not all science deals directly with subjects that are of interest to religion. Those that do, really should apply their scientific thinking towards their beliefs, at least so they can be honest with themselves.

Well my point was that a scientist who is religious could argue that the scientific method need not be applied to anything outside the "domain" of science. I'm not agreeing with that position, just pointing out that it is usually the position taken by those scientists who are religious...
    Science has always been advancing into areas that have been in the domain of religion, ever since the first man climbed up Mnt Olympus and noticed the distinct lack of gods.

...and that is why I think its less of a tenable position as science delves deeper into areas tradtionally left in the religious domain.

It seems that we're making the exact same point, no? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

From my understanding most Christians oppose stem research for ethical reasons, I'm not sure how you can separate the two. Their issue is the source of these cells, rather than the research itself.

I'm not saying it is wrong to object to certain scientific practices on ethical grounds. I'm saying how science can be furthered through totally unethical acts. Extreme example: A (deranged) scientist wants to know if his new chemical is harmful to people so he throws it in someone's face. Not a bit ethical but it proved a point.
    I personally am very much in favour of ethics in science. However I'm pointing out taht science would probably move along faster if it didn't stop to think about ethics.

The word "science" comes from the latin word for "knowledge" so in its broadest sense, as simply the accumulation of knowledge, it can't really stand in opposition to anything. But the more important and relevant aspect of science is the scientific method:

The word salary comes from the latin word for salt so in its broadest sense is your salary a measure of salt?
    The broadest sense of science is the accumulation of knowledge using the scientific method. The accumulation of knowledge, irrespective of how its accumulated, is just learning.
    Yeah, that was my point... :confused:

Well, the way you have written it just above sorta implies that you think something can be science even if it doesnt use the scientific method (as long as you are gaining knowledge from it). I'm probably just being pedantic in saying that if you arent using the scientific method then its not science (its learning by some other method) as almost everything ends up going through the scientific method for verification anyway.
    Well my point was that a scientist who is religious could argue that the scientific method need not be applied to anything outside the "domain" of science. I'm not agreeing with that position, just pointing out that it is usually the position taken by those scientists who are religious...

Ok, and I'm not saying that there arent scientists who say this, thing is, the domain of science is, by definition, everything that exists subject to the laws of this universe. Whats left has nothing to be said about it, so if a scientist is not going to apply the scientific method to it, then rationally, that scientist should not have any beliefs about it either (my point here is just a comment on those scientists who think in this way, not on you)
    ...and that is why I think its less of a tenable position as science delves deeper into areas tradtionally left in the religious domain.

It seems that we're making the exact same point, no? :confused:

Yeah, I think I misread you here a little, guess I'm just cynical and like to jump on points that I think are being made incorrectly :o

The word salary comes from the latin word for salt so in its broadest sense is your salary a measure of salt?
    Well, if your point is that some English words are originally derived from latin words that no longer hold the same semantics, then I can't argue. But science being derived from knowledge doesn't seem to be one of those words.
    The broadest sense of science is the accumulation of knowledge using the scientific method. The accumulation of knowledge, irrespective of how its accumulated, is just learning...
    Well, the way you have written it just above sorta implies that you think something can be science even if it doesnt use the scientific method (as long as you are gaining knowledge from it).

The "Scientific Method" in all its current glory is a relatively recent phenomenom (certainly its rigour), most notably with the contribution in the 17th century of Francis Bacon and Decartes. On this basis, would you contend that there was no "science" before then? That Gallileo, Copernicus and Kepler weren't scientists? The modern concept of the scientific method was further expanded by 19th and 20th century revelations, so would you rule out Isaac Newton for example also? Some more recent scientists seemed to have ignored the current practices of what we now conceive of as the scientic method, so would Edison and Tesla have to go too?
    I'm probably just being pedantic in saying that if you arent using the scientific method then its not science (its learning by some other method) as almost everything ends up going through the scientific method for verification anyway.

Yeah, I think maybe a little. :)
    Ok, and I'm not saying that there arent scientists who say this, thing is, the domain of science is, by definition, everything that exists subject to the laws of this universe.

I think you're on pretty shakey absolutist grounds here. I mean the very statement itself is inherently a contradiction: what are the laws of the universe? Something physicists (scientists) are currently exploring surely? A lot of the current forefront of "Science" deals with things whose existence we're not "certain" about: elements of quantum mechanics, a single unified theory of the various fundamental forces, dark matter, string theory, m-theory, etc
    Whats left has nothing to be said about it, so if a scientist is not going to apply the scientific method to it, then rationally, that scientist should not have any beliefs about it either (my point here is just a comment on those scientists who think in this way, not on you)

I think religious people would disagree with you on that one (their disagreement was my point)
    Yeah, I think I misread you here a little, guess I'm just cynical and like to jump on points that I think are being made incorrectly :o

I think this is the first debate I've had with someone where we essentially seem to be in agreement! Makes for a nice change! :)

Well, if your point is that some English words are originally derived from latin words that no longer hold the same semantics, then I can't argue. But science being derived from knowledge doesn't seem to be one of those words.

Science is not so extreme as others, but it is more than just learning, the word it is derived from, it is a particular method of learning.
    The "Scientific Method" in all its current glory is a relatively recent phenomenom (certainly its rigour), most notably with the contribution in the 17th century of Francis Bacon and Decartes. On this basis, would you contend that there was no "science" before then? That Gallileo, Copernicus and Kepler weren't scientists? The modern concept of the scientific method was further expanded by 19th and 20th century revelations, so would you rule out Isaac Newton for example also? Some more recent scientists seemed to have ignored the current practices of what we now conceive of as the scientic method, so would Edison and Tesla have to go too?

The rigour is certainly new, but the basic premise of make a hypothesis, build a model to test it and alter that model/hypothesis to fit with any results has been around since the first cave man broke a branch off a log to roll it down a hill. I dont know the specifics of how Edison and Tesla worked, but as long as their hypotheses were testable (and tested) then they did science.
    I think you're on pretty shakey absolutist grounds here. I mean the very statement itself is inherently a contradiction: what are the laws of the universe? Something physicists (scientists) are currently exploring surely? A lot of the current forefront of "Science" deals with things whose existence we're not "certain" about: elements of quantum mechanics, a single unified theory of the various fundamental forces, dark matter, string theory, m-theory, etc

The whole foundation of science is the assumption that the universe does function according to some set of definable rules, and so science deals with everything effected by those rules. I never said that science actually understood those rules completely though, and I dont think it is a contradiction to say those rules are also part of the universe and effect one another.
    I think religious people would disagree with you on that one (their disagreement was my point)

They probably would, but then I dont think religious people think about their beliefs rationally.
    I think this is the first debate I've had with someone where we essentially seem to be in agreement! Makes for a nice change! :)

Certainly does! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

In these debates, the religious typically say that religion is in harmony with science. The non-religious say that religion is simply not science. The anti-religious say that religion is the enemy of science. See a pattern here?
    No, I see an gross oversimplification of posters into nominal either/or categories that ignores individual differences in knowledge, ideas, experience, skills, and expression.
    No, historically the Catholic church and many other western institutions have encouraged science
    I did acknowledge that Mendel, a Catholic priest, was allowed to conduct his experiments on Church grounds in my first post to this thread, although I might find the use of the notion that the Church uniformly "encouraged science" problematic in some cases, and not in others. For example...

PATERNALISM. Roughly half the brains found in a population are female, yet the paternalistic culture of the Catholic church with its male God the Father, God the Son, pope, cardinals, bishops, priests, and male-only administered sacraments, and largely subservient female nuns sends a clear and enculturating message over 2,000 years to its followers that serious leadership, be it behind the alter, podium, boardroom, or research lab is to be male, thereby establishing social and cultural barriers that women must overcome to fully realise their creative scientific potential, especially as pertains to leadership in the discovery process, be it a team or solo endeavor. Furthermore, the male-only administration of the sacraments, sends a subtle symbolic message that the profound is a male domain, be it on the alter or the lab bench.

Certainly, the Church historically was not the only social institution to limit female participation, but was a major influence. And yes, there were exceptions, but they were exceptions by definition (i.e., the glass ceiling is more than a metaphor).

As the OP was not limited to western religion, more dramatic examples of artificial religious barriers that tend to exclude or limit millions of women from the pursuit of science are found in many (not all) Islamic theocracies in the Middle East. In many cases women are excluded by religious laws from a scientific education, or forbidden to work with men in teams, be they scientific or otherwise, or to lead such teams.
    because science is a western belief system.
    There are major fundamental differences between religious belief systems and science. For one, science is a method of inquiry, not a belief. Whereas religion proclaims "truths" that must be accepted and not challenged by its followers, or suffer the consequences attributed to sin, negative karma, shunning, etc., the scientific method advances by attempting to reject many of the different theories that claim to describe, explain, and predict phenomena.

Bite sized pieces of theory are first stated as research hypotheses, but these are not tested. Rather, by convention, they are restated in the null form: that there will be no significant differences found (i.e., no significance would mean that the theory failed to be supported by the analysis of the data). If the data analysis shows a significant difference, the null hypothesis is rejected and the research hypothesis is indirectly supported, "suggesting" (not proving) that the theory may have merit. Results and conclusions drawn from scientific experiments are always held with caution, until a better theory comes along, not proclaimed as "truths" as found in "belief systems."

A case in point... Would the Bible be thrown out by Christians should inconsistencies be found? Well, theories are often challenged and thrown out after the application of scientific inquiry has found inconsistencies (e.g., Ptolemaic theory was tossed out and replaced by Copernican, Lamarckian theory was tossed out and replaced by Darwinian)?

Of course there are people that run about proclaiming a belief in evolutionary theory, but to believe is not consistent with the scientific method. Theories are tentatively held until a better one comes along.

The rigour is certainly new, but the basic premise of make a hypothesis, build a model to test it and alter that model/hypothesis to fit with any results has been around since the first cave man broke a branch off a log to roll it down a hill. I dont know the specifics of how Edison and Tesla worked, but as long as their hypotheses were testable (and tested) then they did science.

There's a lot more to the scientific method than merely forming hypotheses and testing them. I think a lot of the last 2000 years of scientific progress has not been because of the rigours of the scientific method and much more to do with basic human curiosity, experimentation an ad hoc reasoning. I think the scientific method as a framework is now accelerating and improving the current progress in science, but in the past scientific discoveries were made without the necessity of its formalisation.

Also, not all advances in science are driven by adherence to the scientific method at the outset. Consider Einstein's thought experiments that began him on the journey that would ultimately lead to the special theory of relativity, or Archemedes' famous "eureka" moment.
    The whole foundation of science is the assumption that the universe does function according to some set of definable rules

Depends what you mean by "definable"... quantum mechanics is at its core non-deterministic for example. It is for that reason some things, such as the secure mechanism of key exchange in quantum crpytography, are possible.
    ...and so science deals with everything effected by those rules. I never said that science actually understood those rules completely though, and I dont think it is a contradiction to say those rules are also part of the universe and effect one another.

I agree that is not a contradiction, but your initial statement ("The domain of science is, by definition, everything that exists subject to the laws of this universe") failed to account that science also deals with establishing what those laws are (now who's being pedantic :)).

Also, what about the concept of the multiverse with different sets of physical laws for each universe? Is that in the realms of scientific research?

And, since you are so enamoured of the scientific method, surely you must narrow your own definition to only those things that can be falsified and are repeatable? Given the non-deterministic nature at the quantum level, and at the material level unless you are teleologically subscribed to pre-destination, this does not include everything by a long shot. Take human emotion, psychology or society for example - repeatable testing could be pretty tricky where human "mood" and interaction are factors.

And why do you love somebody? Or like a film or book or flavour or colour? Want to suggest the objective, repeatable, falsifiable test around proving that?! :D
    They probably would, but then I dont think religious people think about their beliefs rationally.

"Rational" is such a subjective word, I would say instead that they don't think about their beliefs scientifically. I mean anyone can theoretically think rationally about any internally consistent set of rules that don't hold objective meaning. The trick then is to ensure that one of the rules involves a supernatural agent as a "get out of jail free" card when that set of rules is supposed to impinge on the real world... but then of course it's objectively and definitively not scientific anymore!

• Advertisement

There's a lot more to the scientific method than merely forming hypotheses and testing them.

Thanks for the link. It shows the history of the ways we use for forming hypotheses and testing them. Things like observation, deductive logic, and induction are ways of creating hypotheses, while controlled experimentation of various kinds are ways of testing those hypotheses. Things like falsifiability, reproducability and peer review are just the extra stringent methods we have invented to verify our experimental results. Ultimately, it still comes down to somehow coming up with an idea, and testing that idea in a reliable way.
    Also, not all advances in science are driven by adherence to the scientific method at the outset. Consider Einstein's thought experiments that began him on the journey that would ultimately lead to the special theory of relativity, or Archemedes' famous "eureka" moment.

True, but eventually, to be considered science, advances need to be subjected to the scientific method, otherwise those ideas stay in your head.
    Depends what you mean by "definable"... quantum mechanics is at its core non-deterministic for example. It is for that reason some things, such as the secure mechanism of key exchange in quantum crpytography, are possible.

Definable in the sense that those rules are measurably constant, or variable according to some other rule which itself is definable.
    I agree that is not a contradiction, but your initial statement ("The domain of science is, by definition, everything that exists subject to the laws of this universe") failed to account that science also deals with establishing what those laws are (now who's being pedantic :)).

True, sorry about that :)
    Also, what about the concept of the multiverse with different sets of physical laws for each universe? Is that in the realms of scientific research?

Depends on wether anything created in this universe could exist in another universe with different rules. If nothing from this universe can exist in another universe, then there is no way to make any measurements of the other universe (either directly or indirectly) and so it would seem it would be outside the realms of our science.
    And, since you are so enamoured of the scientific method, surely you must narrow your own definition to only those things that can be falsified and are repeatable? Given the non-deterministic nature at the quantum level, and at the material level unless you are teleologically subscribed to pre-destination, this does not include everything by a long shot.

I dont really know anything about quantum mechanics, so I cant say anything about this. Is there anything in quantum mechanics that is completely unfalsifiable? (and never expected to be falsiable?)
    Take human emotion, psychology or society for example - repeatable testing could be pretty tricky where human "mood" and interaction are factors.

Mood and interaction are merely unknown variables, much like atom size, electrical charge and radiation were 200 or more years ago. Just because they are unmeasurable now doesnt mean we will never figure them out.
    And why do you love somebody? Or like a film or book or flavour or colour? Want to suggest the objective, repeatable, falsifiable test around proving that?! :D

No, but I'm not a biologist though. I'd imagine it all boils down to very complex brain chemistry.
    "Rational" is such a subjective word, I would say instead that they don't think about their beliefs scientifically. I mean anyone can theoretically think rationally about any internally consistent set of rules that don't hold objective meaning. The trick then is to ensure that one of the rules involves a supernatural agent as a "get out of jail free" card when that set of rules is supposed to impinge on the real world... but then of course it's objectively and definitively not scientific anymore!

Yeah, I see what you are saying, I guess I just see "rationality" and "scientifically" as the same thing :D.

Advertisement