Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogfood Analysis

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 nautical star

wow... funny my dog seems more settled now than when on the Royal Cannin, I guess every dog reacts differently to food tho, how long has she been on it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

wow... funny my dog seems more settled now than when on the Royal Cannin, I guess every dog reacts differently to food tho, how long has she been on it now?

About two to three weeks. I mixed it in with her James Wellbeloved at the start to ger her used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If the food suits your dog, it suits your dog. We were recommeded a few brands and had to try a few until we found one that was pefect for the pooch. She get very runny stools otherwise. I wouldn't go changing anything that isn't broken on the back of the 'rating' from this website.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

hey lemlin, I would never mix dog foods like minesajackdaniels has reccomended and im sure alot of peolpe would agree with me there

May I ask why not? Are you worried about quality or something else?

As I said - it's breeders I know who do it, so people who generally have MORE animals and therefore higher food costs. Subsequently they feed a range of foods, padding out the top notch stuff with fillers (most of them won't "stoop" to a supermarket own brand, mind, it's more that they mix royal canin and hills SD with, say, purina or another one of the higher quality standard brands).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I mix foods sometimes too, like you would when weaning a dog from one food to another, I don't see the harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 nautical star

my main reason would be that if a dog has an adverse reaction you wont know what its reacting to. I have over the years found that you should find sumthing good and stick with it, for me it has to be Orijen, i admit i wouldnt take everything on the dog food analysis site at face value but most of what they say is sound advice, ive used so many foods over the years a friend of mine owns a pet shop and sells loads of different foods, starting at €17.99 for one that would be at least as good as beta, and he does another one that has practically the same ingridient list as royal canin for about €40 for 15kg, personally i wouldnt use them but i guess if your going to use sumthing with fillers you shouldnt overpay for it,
    just my opinion tho, lol.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gerbio

Hey guys, new to this. So glad you can all afford orijen, there are loads of other foods out there just as good if not better n a good bit cheaper. Too high a protein causes liver damage in dogs. Dogs who lived in the wild cant be compared to dogs of today. They have evolved through time. You may feed them well but whos to say their parents or grandparents never got the McDonalds of dog food....Pedigree or Bakers??? Dogs have become domesticated & their bodies have evolved through time. Dogs becoming more human like when it comes to allergies esp wheat n maize as we pump the dogs so full of it with the foods we give them. A good solid nutritious wheat or maize free food with not too high a protein works wonders.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

gerbio wrote: »
    Hey guys, new to this. So glad you can all afford orijen, there are loads of other foods out there just as good if not better n a good bit cheaper. Too high a protein causes liver damage in dogs. Dogs who lived in the wild cant be compared to dogs of today. They have evolved through time. You may feed them well but whos to say their parents or grandparents never got the McDonalds of dog food....Pedigree or Bakers??? Dogs have become domesticated & their bodies have evolved through time. Dogs becoming more human like when it comes to allergies esp wheat n maize as we pump the dogs so full of it with the foods we give them. A good solid nutritious wheat or maize free food with not too high a protein works wonders.

Well actually a dog with liver disease is reccommended to go onto a diet of high, easily digestible proteins. Its a myth that all high protein causes liver damage in dogs; it will only do damage if from a hard to break down source, such as soy or corn based proteins; dogs cannot properly digest these and the whole system has to work extra hard to extract the correct amino acids from this source of protein.

EDIT- Also, why post this on a thread that's two years old if you've already posted about it in another recent thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If humans havent even evolved yet to properly digest dairy , i would be sure that dogs havent evolved to properly digest grains either in the short space of time they have had to do so.
    Dogs eating loads of grains would of only started happening when commercialsed dog foods started appearing on shelves .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gerbio

Shanao wrote: »
    Well actually a dog with liver disease is reccommended to go onto a diet of high, easily digestible proteins. Its a myth that all high protein causes liver damage in dogs; it will only do damage if from a hard to break down source, such as soy or corn based proteins; dogs cannot properly digest these and the whole system has to work extra hard to extract the correct amino acids from this source of protein.

EDIT- Also, why post this on a thread that's two years old if you've already posted about it in another recent thread?

COS I POSTED HERE FIRST TO TRY IT OUT, LIKE I SAID NEW TO THIS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Gerbio, firstly welcome to A&PI :)

Please start a new thread if you want to discuss this topic for dragging up old ones is frowned upon. Also, posting all in caps is the internet version of shouting so try to avoid doing that unless you`re actually shouting (though this runs the risk of waking a mod).

Putting this one to bed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement