Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best dog for kids????

Options
  • 15-05-2009 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

I have two kids age eight and seven.They have decided they want to get a dog and are looking at Labradors and golden retrievers.
    Personally i would like the Golden retriever if any.
    Anyone have any experience with kids that wanted a dog until they got one or any advice on a good breed to go for.
    Her indoors wants a dog that dosen't shed to much and poops once a week(if possible in someone else's garden.)
    As much advice or suggestions as possible please.
    Is the pound a good place to get a dog?
    Thanks in advance
    Bookerboy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

labrodors are very loyal, affectionate and placid with their owners. Golden retrievers are much the same too though I think. I'd say either breed would be suitable for children. They both poop alot though. The labrodor probably loses less hair. I'd get one as a pup rather than from a pound as you don't know what past experiences they could've have whilst if you get a pup you can trust it more as you know it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

A staffy would be good, well regarded as being excellent with children. Or an English bull terrier, have had two of them over the years and they are great with children too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Don't get a grown pound dog if your not willing to put the time into it.

Collies are great with kids and everyone! You can usually save one of those from a farmer who does n't want the pups etc.

they, like most other dogs, need alot of exercise.

Every dog will shed hair unless you get one of those special poodles (can't remeber name now!)

You now yourself how capable or interested your kids are and how committed you and your wife are cause untimatly its your responsibility so go for a dog you can see with you for possibly 15-20 years! even when the kids go off to college!

i'd say go for a retriever over a labrador and put the training in so he'll be an amazing companion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 petangels

Boston Terriers are WONDERFUL family dogs. They are very friendly and they love to play. These are the happiest dogs I've ever encountered, no matter what is going on around them. Great with children...

If you have children then you'll want a dog who can tolerate rough play and I feel a puppy will adjust better in this situation. Labs and retrievers are great with children but as with all breeds can become aggressive if they feel threatened so teaching children how to behave correctly around dogs from an early age is really important.

Recommend the book "The Dog Whisperer: A Compassionate, Nonviolent Approach to Dog Training", published in 1999. This book was written before the guy who calls himself "the dog whisperer" was ever on TV, so the title is a bit confusing. It teaches positive reinforcement training which dogs respond better to.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

bookerboy wrote: »
    I have two kids age eight and seven.They have decided they want to get a dog and are looking at Labradors and golden retrievers.
    Personally i would like the Golden retriever if any.
    Anyone have any experience with kids that wanted a dog until they got one or any advice on a good breed to go for.
    Her indoors wants a dog that dosen't shed to much and poops once a week(if possible in someone else's garden.)
    As much advice or suggestions as possible please.
    Is the pound a good place to get a dog?
    Thanks in advance
    Bookerboy

Have a look here (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm) bookerboy - an application that lets you specify your requirements and recommends breeds that satisfy them - plenty to choose from. Can vouch for Labs and Golden retrievers for being excellent with kids, but need lots of attention and exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

I have a golden retriever and he is the most placid, gentle, fun dog you could want. I have a toddler who can leave him alone. He has never growled or made any type of response that would worry me. He does shed a bit and needs to be walked every day - but if you are not too busy for the walks and don't mind a bit of hair thats your dog !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Oh a lab definetly, i have one since pup and she is so pacid and calm, i dont have kids but shes great with my nephews and nieces, only problem is they do shed and poop alot.
    I would recomend getting it as a pup so it can get used to the kids. it is great to rescue a dog from a pound but in your case a pup maybe better.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

Please don't rule out a pound or rescue dog. There are plenty of puppies that get surrendered into pounds. After all, it can be around this time that the christmas pup novelty has worn off and young dogs 6-8 months can be looking for a new home and are young enough to integrate with your kids. There are plenty of breeds that are suitable for children, dont limit your choices! You dont mention where you are from but for example Dogs in Distress in Dublin have a young collie/spaniel in foster at the moment, http://dogsindistress.org/blog/?p=1834. Dundalk Dogs recently took out a 3 month old collie cross from the pound who should be up for rehoming also, http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=70598. Lurchers make great family pets, there is a female pup still available in Puppyrescue, Kilkenny: http://www.inistiogepuppyrescue.com/current_dogs.php
    Good luck with your search and remember that if you buy, do so from a reputable breeder and make sure to make the necessary checks beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭miss.lost

Hi Op we had a retriever growing up, got her as a tiny puppy when my youngest sister was only about two months old! My sister learned to stand up and walk by pulling herself up on the dogs tail! That will give u an indication of how placid they can be. Also when we got older if we were going out for a walk she would press against our legs to push us off the road if a car was coming and always makesure she stood between us and any stranger!! She was also used as a pillow regularly for cartoon watching sessions!
    God we had so much fun with that dog!! Unfortunately she died a few years back and i still get teary thinking about her!! :(
    Get a puppy rather than a grown dog as they will grow up with your kids! One thing tho,My friend has a longhaired retriever now and it covers the house in white hairs so be prepared or get a smoothhaired!! Still good as a pillow for her 3 year old tho!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I'd recommend a boxer, they're much more fun than a lab, and equally as loyal etc. They don't shed as much either, and truly are unbelievably brilliant with kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭miss.lost

Oh and another thing.... they are incredibly clean dogs, always clean themselves and with ours she was trained only to poop in a certain place (Field).They are also very easy dogs to train, maybe this is one reason they are used as guide dogs??

P.s Try get a fairly small one as i have seen some huuuuge retrievers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Labs are amazing dogs but if you want something that doesn't shed much then look for something with a longer coat.. I was pulling up a carpet on my stairs and landing, low and behold! Big old tufts of my long gone dogs hair bundled up under the skirting boards..

When we still had my lab there was hair everywhere.. I mean everywhere! Also the bigger the dog the more it's gonna be eating, and obviously what goes in one end comes out the other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Neilw wrote: »
    A staffy would be good, well regarded as being excellent with children. Or an English bull terrier, have had two of them over the years and they are great with children too :)

Going to agree 100% with this, and also add in the pit bull.

Despite their horrible rep, the American pit bull was bred as a family dog for eons, that was their purpose, they are absolutely fantastic with kids, you couldn't find a better dog with children. Just keep them well socialized from puppyhood with other dogs and people and they will be the best dog you'll ever have. It's completely against their nature to be aggressive with humans, which, unfortunately, is precisely why they have a bad rep.. they're so damn loyal and loving they'll do anything for their human, and people forever take advantage of that. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 richievo5

i would say boxers would have to be one of the best dogs to have around children or maybe a labrador ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ensure that the dog likes children, I suppose. Own dog hates small children: it's not the breed, it's the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Thanks everybody for all this advice.I should have asked at the beginning would a male or female dog be the best choice?
    I like the idea of possibly breeding at a later stage so am thinking female.
    Thanks again
    Bookerboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

bookerboy wrote: »
    I like the idea of possibly breeding at a later stage so am thinking female.

There's enough overpopulation of animals going on without adding to it. If you get a dog and you aren't a professional breeder doing showing / health testing and improving a specific breed, you shouldn't.

It puts a lot of strain on your pet to breed it, and for no good reason other than "omg puppies are cute".

Whether you get a male or female dog (and personally I like females, but that's just personal preference) please please please get them spayed / neutered and don't contribute to animal overpopulation.

On the subject of what dog to get, I suggest you go to a shelter and explain your requirements; they will find you a suitable dog :)#

But beware, dogs poop more than once a week -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Think i'd go female even if i never get involved in breeding.They seem to have a better temperment(i'm told they may even babysit the kids if we go out):eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP go and visit one of the dog pounds, most will allow you to take a dog (or more) for a walk and if you want to go one step further you can enquire about fostering a dog (or dogs).

Consider it as taking a breed for a test drive in your home and around the family for a few days.

This is a brilliant way of satisfying yourself & the family as to a breeds suitabilty.

Btw, if your still wondering about a suitable dog around children, go to Google and type in 'Nanny Dog' - I bet you'll be very surprised!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭shu

Labs and Golden retrievers are excellent family dogs, great with kids. You must consider though their abundance of energy and would need to be prepared to take them for regular long walks. I work with animals and the breed I consider to be the best families and kids are the Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Most have great temperaments, they are a nice neat size, not so big that they might accidentally knock over kids and they dont need as much exercise. I would definitely recommend pet insurance if you were to get one though, because as far as breeds go they can have a lot of health problems. I wouldn't knock rescue dogs either though, a lot of pups and young dogs are commonly left into the pound for behavioural problems that can easily be cured with a bit of training. Ignorance of how to look after the animal and train it on the owners part can lead to many healthy young animals being put to sleep in the pounds and it's an awful shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 daisy121

I'd recommend a boxer, they're much more fun than a lab, and equally as loyal etc. They don't shed as much either, and truly are unbelievably brilliant with kids.

Ditto!! our boxer is brilliant with kids

and contra to what they say about the breed our family golden retriever isn’t!! he's a bit grumpy..

would trust the boxer any day.. and they love to play football and have loads of energy!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Labs are super with kids. I'd keep an eye out on dogsindistress for a lab x. They do need a LOT of exercise. And they do shed a good bit.

daisy121 wrote: »
    they love to play football and have loads of energy!

Be aware of this; Boxers are a very high energy dog, and don't generally do well with being left long hours at home alone while you're out at work. They need company and lots of exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sumse

you should also choose by the energy level of a dog!
    If ye are a very active family i think a lab is brilliant,
    what about a labdradoodle?
    You can be lucky and get one with non shed hair.

I have a bichon, very small dog, low energy but she cured my dog hair allergie. Fantastic little girl and great with kids.

sumse wrote: »
    what about a labdradoodle?

:rolleyes:

Don't do this :(

Designer dog breeds are just... really I have no words.

Get a mutt from a shelter if you want a mix, or get a breed that was designed for something specific. Don't get one of these designer breeds that are being bred because "aww isn't it cute when I breed my crappy bred X dog with my neighbour's crappy-looking Y dog".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 schtajjn

It is not really so much about what breed is good with children., but rather whether or not your children have been taught how to behave properly around any dog. Naturally there are some breeds one can expect to be more suitable, such as the Golden Retrievers, Labs etc, but even these breeds can become agressive towards children if they have any bad experiences.

The UK kennel club has a safety scheme called "Safe and Sound" which is a good place to start for both children and parents in relation to safe pet ownership
    http://www.safeandsoundwithdogs.org.uk/sashi_code/

Best of luck with finding a new familymember !!
    A close relationship with an animal is a fatastic thing for any child!!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

:rolleyes:

Don't do this :(

Designer dog breeds are just... really I have no words.

Get a mutt from a shelter if you want a mix, or get a breed that was designed for something specific. Don't get one of these designer breeds that are being bred because "aww isn't it cute when I breed my crappy bred X dog with my neighbour's crappy-looking Y dog".

I'm with you on this one Moondancer, this designer dogs malarky really getting to me.

Also, should you decide to breed the dog, have you any previous experience in breeding? You have to take into consideration the extra care that is required for a bitch in pup, dietry needs etc. Would you ensure your Bitch is health checked to ensure you are going to breed a dog that is totally sound?

I agere with the previous post saying that you should possibly suggest looking to a pound now and explain your needs to them ... Too many dogs out there already looking for homes for another person to decide to breed a few pups to see what its like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Coppernlucy

Boxer or a Yorkshire terrier :o

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

OP, how old are your wee ones? Very young children will have to be closely supervised around any dog regardless of how gentle as children can be (note I say can, there are also very gentle children out there but better to be safe than sorry) loud, rough and sometimes tease even the most patient dog to frustration.

Labs make fantastic family pets but most do have high excercise requirements and shed quite a bit. Another excellent choice is the cavalier king charles, beautiful gentle little dogs but they do need a bit of grooming. Also, thoroughly check the background of any breeder (especially in the case of the king charles as they have so many health problems) to ensure you get a healthy pup.

With regard to shelter dogs, don't discount them but if you do decide to go to a shelter, pick very, very carefully. Ask a lot of questions about the dogs temperment and why it was rehomed. Never take the chance of bringing a poor dog who has been mistreated badly by people into your home as there is a good chance he will be unpredictable with children.

Finally, please, please, PLEASE don't breed any dog you get. There is a vast surplus of unwanted and misfortunate dogs in this country (thousands are put down unneccessarily every year) because people without much understanding of a breed's genetics or looking to make a quick buck decide to breed dogs. Don't become one of them for the sake of your dog. Besides, neutering your pet has a whole host of health benefits as well as behavioural ones and wouldn't that make for an easier life? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

PS all dogs poop more than once a week! ;)

Advertisement