Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers smash up £5million EC135 Police Helicopter

Options
  • 14-05-2009 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1181534/Gypsies-smash-5million-police-helicopter-axes-revenge-spy-flights.html

Gypsies smash £5million police helicopter with axes in revenge for 'spy' flightsBy Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 12:41 PM on 14th May 2009
    Comments (48) Add to My Stories A group of travellers wrecked a multi-million pound police helicopter which was being used to spy on their site.
    The gang used axes to smash the £5million aircraft, after they leapt over a 4ft wall surrounding Surrey Police force’s helipad at Fairoaks airport, near Woking in Surrey.
    After threatening staff working in the operations room, they set about wrecking the helicopter, smashing six of its windows and causing tens of thousands of pounds worth of damage.
    Vandalism: A group of travellers wrecked Surrey's only police helicopter (pictured). Worth £5million, it was being used to spy on their site
    The incident happened at 10pm yesterday after weeks of aerial surveillance on the travellers’ site, where detectives believe stolen goods have been hidden.

Officers were getting ready to raid the site after collecting evidence they had filmed from the air.
    A police source said last night: 'The gipsies were furious because they kept getting buzzed by the helicopter.

'But no one expected this level of violence.
    'Before a raid is conducted we will observe the criminals from the air. That way we get an idea what we are likely to find, identify suspects and locate entrances and exits. Maybe we got too low.'
    The aircraft is the only police helicopter in Surrey and is used mainly for chasing crime suspects in their cars, finding missing people and pre-planned surveillance operations.

The helicopter, which has a camera fitted under its nose that beams broadcast-quality footage to the control room, was airborne 214 times during April, an average of seven flights per day.

It is expected to be out of action for another two weeks while repairs are made.

Security at Fairoaks has been stepped up following the attack and neighbouring Metropolitan and Sussex forces are providing air cover for Surrey’s one million residents.
    A Surrey Police spokesman said the identity of the mob members was 'unknown'.

He added: 'The incident is part of an ongoing investigation and security measures are being reviewed as part of this.

'We are working with a maintenance contractor to ensure the aircraft is back on line as soon as possible.'
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

They should have stole it and sold it on.

Obviously a mistake, travelling people wouldnt do that sort of thing would they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

i dont blame them,the noise of those things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

They were probably bored, they've no amenities provided for them sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,057 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fair play to them. I've always wanted to do that when those bastards have woken half the neighbourhood up at 4am.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Fair play to them. I've always wanted to do that when those bastards have woken half the neighbourhood up at 4am.

Why didnt it just fly away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Grimes wrote: »

they clipped its' wings?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,057 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We didn't have axes.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Some bleedin' heart do gooder will be on shortly to defend those poor members of the itinerant community.

They seem to guard their privacy (on someone elses property) very jealously.

I'm not sure if it made the media or not, but a colleague of mine was recently accosted and pulled from his vehicle by caravan dwelling individuals. His life was threatened and his vehicle damaged.

His crime? Using a rangefinder to gauge dimensions on a piece of electricity network. A span of network that was adjacent to a travellers encampment.

How long more are we going to be intimidated and pushed around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Infact an EC135 is the type our Gardai use and is rated as one of the quietest helicopters in the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Whattayagoinonabou? didndonathinboss....

Ah those Caravan Utilising Nomadic travellers up to ther usual tricks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Shur it wasn't us boss, we were out walkin the dags!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

You people are obviously inconsiderate of the travelling culture and I find it highly offensive. For your information they believed it was a flying demon and as traveller culture I demand you respect their rights to practice what they believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Whattayagoinonabou? didndonathinboss....

Said with the biggest, stupidest doe eyed expression possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I love hearing stories like this about itinerants. It does nothing but confirm my suspicions that they are generally dirty, dishonest, lazy and stupid people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The readers of the Mail are surprisingly sympathetic to the gypsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You people are obviously inconsiderate of the travelling culture and I find it highly offensive. For your information they believed it was a flying demon and as traveller culture I demand you respect their rights to practice what they believe.

they believe that taking a picture of them steals their souls

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭WeirdKen

Is there no limit to what these loveable rouges will do :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

So have the gypsies and the travellers joined forces? :eek: Who will save us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The gang ... leapt over a 4ft wall
    Whoa!

asuka.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Sigh, in the good old days, they would have managed to sell the helicopter bits off as scrap metal.

do the english police actually call them gypsies? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

rumours are emerging that they were chopping it up because they misunderstood when told it was a "copper helicopter".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

They don't put the effort in anymore.
    There was a time when they would have been able to strap it onto a Hiace & sell it off at a car boot sale along with a few fireplaces/ couches/ your tv that went walkies in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Nothing in the report about where they robbed the axes from?

Nothing in the report about where they robbed the axes from?

They were obviously hand me downs, or fell off the back of a caravan;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

200 years ago we were all like them lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Well they could hardly be law abiding could they

• Advertisement

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    200 years ago we were all like them lol

No, they were like us.:rolleyes:

Advertisement