Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

toiletduck wrote: »
    If anyone can resolve the debate of abortion to a satisfactory conclusion for both sides then it's definitely the posters of AH.

Yep, the usual insults thrown at each other makes both sides feel all smug.

Your girlfriend may change her mind if she gets pregnant as has been pointed out. Basically, you'll be having a different conversation if she does, not a theoretical one. Big difference.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

A7X wrote: »
    No. Patience is.

After Hours may not be the place for you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

And all threads on AH don't have to be a mess.
    What ever gave you that idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Trí wrote: »
    Is that the same as an abortion?:pac:

Yes, but without the tyop

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I've had an unplanned pregancy at the age of 19, I'll never forget having to tell my mother. I thank God I didn't abort the child...he's such a lovely lad, great craic, my best friend. Since then I've lost 5 babies all at around the 11 wk mark. I've watched them on scans praying to see a little heartbeat over and over again. How would I get over them If I'd got rid of my first?! I had another boy since thank God but i still light 5 candles on the anniversary of my first loss.
    It's a very controversial subject. I'm strongly against abortion myself, especially when the pregnancy is advanced. The morning after pill works for up to 72 hrs after unprotected intercourse. I struggle the whole 'it's a woman's body and her right to choose' argument. It's not actually a part of her body even though it depends on it for life, it's a whole other identity, another person, a soul.
    My friend worked in London for a few years, she said almost every single woman in her office had had at least one. it was nearly used as regularly as the morning after pill.
    I wouldn't feel qualified to judge anyone after suffering from a rape or abuse for having an early one though.
    24wks in all honesty in any situation is wrong. If someone's baby was in an intensive care unit at that age and they switched off the machine as they didn't feel ready for a child, they would be charged with murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dont know how my body would react to an attempt at an abortion.

I'm pro choice btw, but personnally wouldnt want a child of mine aborted. Not sure how much my attitude to abortion has changed in the 4 1/2 years since my son was born but I know I am all for people havign the choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Some pretty stupid replies in this thread

That's the problem with abortion it really
    brings the kid out of some people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I have no right to judge someone on choosing to have an abortion.

Thankfully I have never been in this situation myself. I would not like to have one though. I just find the concept of it all a bit too harrowing. I would also be afraid that i'd regret it afterwards.

A few of my friends have had them. I am supportive of these friends and would not impose any anti-abortion views on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

You know what I always found funny about pro-lifers,them throwing eggs at abortion clinics.Whats with that?

^
    ^
    ^
    Joke robbed from sickipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

The Master wrote: »
    Some pretty stupid replies in this thread

That's the problem with abortion it really
    brings the kid out of some people
    I feel guilty for laughing at that....

Anyway, I'm only a child (just thought I'd mention that before any smart alec sees my age on my profile and believes it invalidates my post in any way) but I'm against abortion completely - and I'm english,, this country actively encourages birth control and abortion; I'm just going to blatantly copy and paste what I said to a friend the other night during a 'debate' thing we were having:

My nan was born in Dublin Workhouse on Christmas Day 1931, She was abandoned by her mom and dad. After being taken in by someone, at the age of 6, she woke up one morning to find the woman caring for her had died beside her. she was takin in by loving people that became her parents,, She went on to achieve a good career, find a husband she loved and who loved her, have 3 amazing children and more grandchildren that would have given the world for her. Since she died 18 months ago, she's been terribly missed because she was the centre of our lives.
    Should she not have been allowed any of that chance in life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I find it amazing how much debate and activity there is on both sides when abortion is brought up in this country. It really is baffling. Do people not realise that theres always a staircase handy somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Personally no, don't really care what others do.

wudangclan wrote: »
    mother nature may disagree with you
    TheZohan wrote: »
    When the wimmens get preggers the hormones take over.

You cannot be 100% sure about how either of you would feel until it happens.

I seem to recall a thread about it in a forum not a million miles from here.
    I know for a fact that she would definitely get the abortion, no doubt about it
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    What ever gave you that idea?
    I remember the thread were the OP was looking for info about his friend being assaulted and everyone took that seriously, so it's not unheard of for a serious topic to come up on AH

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I know for a fact that she would definitely get the abortion, no doubt about it

Sounds very like a Personal Issues thread a few weeks back. They had an agreement too, she was sure she was definite but when the actual dilemna arose, not a theoretical discussion, she wasn't so sure.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

As A childless, but financially secure, twenty-nine year old, I would keep the baby if I did get pregnant. I think about it more and more.
    However, i'd also like the choice to have an abortion. Not just for me, for all women. Of course theres a limit (24 weeks in England, i think). What's wrong with having a choice? If you can't trust a woman with a choice, how can you trust her with a baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

^
    ^
    ^
    Joke robbed from sickipedia.

Arrows robbed from American Indians.

I don''t think I could ever have an abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Hate tossers who say its not murder when it couldn't be anything but.

However, I think its acceptable murder, like the way euthanasia is acceptable suicide.

Also think you should be allowed "put down" your child if its born handicapped so long as you do it in the first month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

brummytom wrote: »

:confused:
    It's posts like this that really boggle the mind. As if prochoicers were deliberately trying to set out on a crusade against people, and trying to oppress them all. Or as if we're looking at people who have lived their lives already and suggesting they be killed then and there.
    Ffs, if she hadn't been born, had been miscarried, had been aborted, her parents hadn't had sex, the question wouldn't have arisen. Simple as that. Overcoming hardship in her already existing life and having a loving family afterwards has nothing to do whatsoever with the subject.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I would be against abortion except in limited circumstances. If the physical health of the mother is in danger or if having the baby would lead her to refuse medical treatment (eg. if the mother has cancer and needs chemo to survive). Another situation would be if the child has ancephaly (no brain) as these babies can at best survive for a few hours after birth also other conditions where the baby can not survive outside the womb. I used to be pro-abortion if the baby was diagnosed with a serious medical condition but after being pregnant and miscarrying I know that I could never do that.

As to personal circumstances I have always been in a position where a baby would be a delightful suprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

However, I think its acceptable murder, like the way euthanasia is acceptable suicide.

Also think you should be allowed "put down" your child if its born handicapped so long as you do it in the first month.

Let me get this straight.

You believe parents should have the right to kill their newborn baby if it's disabled?

The mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

brummytom wrote: »
    I feel guilty for laughing at that....

Anyway, I'm only a child (just thought I'd mention that before any smart alec sees my age on my profile and believes it invalidates my post in any way) but I'm against abortion completely - and I'm english,, this country actively encourages birth control and abortion; I'm just going to blatantly copy and paste what I said to a friend the other night during a 'debate' thing we were having:

My nan was born in Dublin Workhouse on Christmas Day 1931, She was abandoned by her mom and dad. After being taken in by someone, at the age of 6, she woke up one morning to find the woman caring for her had died beside her. she was takin in by loving people that became her parents,, She went on to achieve a good career, find a husband she loved and who loved her, have 3 amazing children and more grandchildren that would have given the world for her. Since she died 18 months ago, she's been terribly missed because she was the centre of our lives.

Sorry, but I don't get your point here??

I'm pro-choice however personally, I don't think I could have an abortion. A few years ago I would have said I definitely would if I got pregnant but my two nephews were born since then and looking at them I don't think I could go through with it. Also, I'm in a relationship at the moment so, even if we weren't fully financially stable, I think we'd be happy to bring a child into the world if it came to it. If I was single then maybe I'd think differently.

A friend of mine has had a couple of abortions and I don't judge her for them, she did the right thing as she was only young. I definitely think that all abortions should be carried out before 14-16 weeks though. I've seen some of the images on the pro-life websites and they're shocking :(

That's a joke, right? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Pointless thread as its a topic people cannot debate as they cannot exercise clear judgement as their vision is clouded by personal circumstances, eg a 19 yr old male/female in college would feel different 20 years later when married with kids they dote over. Only acceptable solution is to let each individual in the circumstance make up their own mind, you cant force somebody to harbour another life in their body or to become a parent against their will. The 'oh put it up for adoption' stance is BS too because the woman still has to carry it, pay medical expenses, take time out of career, put her body under physical stress etc.

Laws in this country need to be changed to legislate for everybodies interest, not appealing to the moral whims of a few who're not in the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Sorry, but I don't get your point here??

I'm pro-choice however personally, I don't think I could have an abortion. A few years ago I would have said I definitely would if I got pregnant but my two nephews were born since then and looking at them I don't think I could go through with it. Also, I'm in a relationship at the moment so, even if we weren't fully financially stable, I think we'd be happy to bring a child into the world if it came to it. If I was single then maybe I'd think differently.

A friend of mine has had a couple of abortions and I don't judge her for them, she did the right thing as she was only young. I definitely think that all abortions should be carried out before 14-16 weeks though. I've seen some of the images on the pro-life websites and they're shocking

Sorry, I'm not feeling great at the moment, so I realise my previous post didn't make much sense.

I suppose my point was that circumstances change. While someone/a couple may not feel able to cope when finding out they are having a baby, who knows what the future can bring. I think killing a baby is a little short-sight, you could feel a lot different after the birth... again, apologies if that didn't make much sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I had this discussion recently with some friends,
    basically I said at this moment of my life myself and my GF couldn't handle a child, so if bad luck struck we would decide to take the trip the england for an abortion. I don't see the problem but my friends did.

I'm pro-choice, but I kind of side with your friends on this one - you've managed to make it sound a bit more like a contraception plan :S

It's possible that your friends were hoping that given how you both feel, you'd be doubly careful to avoid the situation in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pandemonium

Personally i hate the thought of having to do it myself which is why i always make sure we're both protected but i respect that accidents can happen and some people dont have the means to provide for a child. I think 24 week cut off point is ridiculous,you cant say thats not a baby, abortion should be a last resort and not an alternative for not having the cop on to use contraception

No, and I don't see how its any different to abortion.

Jimbo wrote: »
    Let me get this straight.

You believe parents should have the right to kill their newborn baby if it's disabled?

The mind boggles.

Well if other parents can kill their healthy baby before its on the other side of her vagina I don't see why not

No, and I don't see how its any different to abortion.

That's fcuking sick. What do you class as "handicapped?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Why? It's hardly too far off the mark already as it is. 93% percent of down-syndrome detections in the Untied States are aborted.

I'm very pro-abortion by the way. Can't stand humanity. I like the chinese method of limiting the amount of kids a couple can have. In fact I'd even take it a step further believe that people should be means tested before they're even allowed have kids. I'm sick of this race to the bottom being lead by inferior people who breed like rabbits because our society has made it economically viable to do so. Kill them before they're born and a lot of the problems we deal with in society would be greatly diminished.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement