Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best small family car

Options
  • 14-05-2009 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭

Looking for a good family car within the 12,000 euro region.

Been looking at the mazda 6 mainly but open to suggestions (golf is option but styling can be a bit boring)

We only have one child so do need massive car and have a 98 rover 400 to trade/scrap.

Suggestions welcome please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭igglou

I've one child also and we have had Volvo S40s for the last 4 years. Just changed in Jan to a BMW, but I have to say I've loved all three of my S40s. I had 2 S40 SEs and the last was an S40 SE Lux. The spec is fantastic, all leather, cruise control, 6 cd changer, air con, steering wheel controls and plenty more as standard. The seats are also very comfortable and it was a great car to drive.

I'd say you could get a 06/07 for your budget. Can't check at the mo cause car sites a banned here in work :( (and I'm in IT!)

HTH as another suggestion to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

one of the best mid sized family saloons out there is the Octavia.

Half of dublins taxi's cant be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

one of the best mid sized family saloons out there is the Octavia.

Half of dublins taxi's cant be wrong.

I wouldn't go by what's popular. If that's the case then Girls Aloud are one of the best bands of all time!

Petrol or diesel OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Biro wrote: »
    I wouldn't go by what's popular. If that's the case then Girls Aloud are one of the best bands of all time!
    :D

OP - I think you really need to get out there and drive anything that falls within your budget - there's no such thing as one car that's right for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Biro wrote: »

Petrol or diesel OP?

Touché :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Anan1 wrote: »
    :D

OP - I think you really need to get out there and drive anything that falls within your budget - there's no such thing as one car that's right for everyone.

+1

And 12 grand buys alot of car these days, your choice should be endless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

i reckon diesel would be more economical.

Cheers for the tips so far and will pop into a few places for drive over next few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Touché :D

They are sexy though. (the girls that is, not the Octavia!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Ford Focus
    Opel Astra Renault Magane
    VW Golf

these all come in 1.4 and 1.6 petrol and the focus has a 1.6 diesel too and they will be all under 12000 for 2007 below:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

mle1324 wrote: »
    Renault Magane

OP - Just dont! Please for the love of God buy anything but this

PS - Megane...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I have a Focus - great car but if you're looking for a family car, it's worth noting that the boot is small for a buggy and it has not isofix.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

the nissan note 1.5 diesel is great and economical.
    great space aswell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

peugeot 407 1.6hdi.
    diesel engine is bulletproof and will easily get a 06 for that money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

EPM wrote: »
    OP - Just dont! Please for the love of God buy anything but this

PS - Megane...

its the safest car on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭LittleEve

Opel Astra or Toyota Corolla imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Honda Accord would be my first choice, then Mondeo.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1379684

You cant go wrong with Honda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

mad dave wrote: »
    the nissan note 1.5 diesel is great and economical.
    great space aswell

Ok inside but the boot is small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Fly over to the UK.

Buy this, by far (in my opinion) the best car available for your needs. Reliable, comfy, 50mpg all day, and the best handling car in its class to boot:

http://www.autoquake.com/vehicle/inspid=11745

Go on holiday with the 3.5k you've saved. Job done.

mle1324 wrote: »
    its the safest car on the road

And quite possible the most unreliable and hardest to sell (it's a toss up really between the Megane or the Laguna).

Most cars have similar safety ratings these days, often bettering that of the Megane.

OP, 1.6 diesel Focus Saloon (try get a Zetec or Ghia for some extra toys) or an Octavia diesel (you might get the better 2.0tdi within budget with some searching and aim for Elegance spec)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I had this problem a couple of years ago and went and bought a SEAT Altea, have to say best decision I've ever made. Tons of space inside for the family, (2 + 2) very comfortable and a great drive when your on your own..

Its actually won the Auto Express Driver Power 2009 for an MPV, linked here.

Only thing is it scored lowest for ride quality and highest for comfort, in the survey. Which is a bit harsh as its pretty good and not on the hard side at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Alfa 147

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

And quite possible the most unreliable and hardest to sell (it's a toss up really between the Megane or the Laguna).

Most cars have similar safety ratings these days, often bettering that of the Megane.

OP, 1.6 diesel Focus Saloon (try get a Zetec or Ghia for some extra toys) or an Octavia diesel (you might get the better 2.0tdi within budget with some searching and aim for Elegance spec)
    The Ford Focus is the least reliable car in its class over the last few years according to the ADAC. In the latest report the Focus has been rated worst in in its class for 2005 year cars, 2006 year cars and 2008 year cars and 2nd worst for 2007 year cars. It is signifcantly less relaible than the Renault Megane in all of these years.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    The Ford Focus is the least reliable car in its class over the last few years according to the ADAC. In the latest report the Focus has been rated worst in in its class for 2005 year cars, 2006 year cars and 2008 year cars and 2nd worst for 2007 year cars. It is signifcantly less relaible than the Renault Megane in all of these years.

I haven't seen any ADAC reports, but having seen JD Power reports the Focus is ranked significantly higher than the Megane, while the Octavis is usually top.

However, the difference is percentage points between them all isn't as huge as you'd think as there are problem vehicles with every model just as there are many completely trouble free. But it is a well known fact that *if* you get a troublesome Megane it will break your heart and, although they are getting better in recent years, trade in is well below average come resale

IMO.

When people say small car they usually mean lower running costs and lots of space. Not a 911 with a baby seat and a roof box. I don't think they are looking for a cracking drive or loads of power. Nice to have, not need to have. Unless you are doing a lot of mileage tax and insurance would be cheaper with smaller engine than a 2L diesel. Assuming this is not a new car and tax isn't based on CO2 etc.

The focus has a small boot and its a bit smaller in the rear than other cars. The octavia is bigger, has a massive boot, especially as a hatchback and the comes as a 1.4, lots of space in the back in the current version. Its cheap enough 2nd hand. I'd stretch to the 1.6 petrol or the 1.9 diesel if your doing decent mileage. Be nicer to drive too. The focus 1.6 diesel or the Corrola 1.4 diesel are nice, but they tend to be expensive used. Indeed all diesel are more expensive 2nd hand, tend to have far higer mileage, so if you are doing low mileage the petrol is a better deal.

The SEAT Altea/XL is nice but the boot space doesn't seem as good as the octavia. I've not had a good look at one though. Not that cheap 2nd hand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CMajor

Don't go for an Alfa, don't know anyone who hasnt been back to the garage with an Alfa a hundred times. Electrics are terrible and generally unreliable... Fords are fairly good hence they sell loads. Maybe go for a Toyota or a Volkswagen, thats where I'd put my money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I haven't seen any ADAC reports, but having seen JD Power reports the Focus is ranked significantly higher than the Megane, while the Octavis is usually top.

However, the difference is percentage points between them all isn't as huge as you'd think as there are problem vehicles with every model just as there are many completely trouble free. But it is a well known fact that *if* you get a troublesome Megane it will break your heart and, although they are getting better in recent years, trade in is well below average come resale
    If you get a troublesome car in any make it'll be hassle. We've had an 05 and 07 Focus, the 07 one (sold recently) had perfect reliability. The 05 had several problems and was the first car in my family in over 20 years to break down.

JD Power is a satisfaction survey rather than actual reliability data. I agree that Renaults tend to do badly in JD Power but as satisfaction is subjective it isn't of huge value. BTW Fords don't do brilliantly in it either.
    1057740480.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

CMajor wrote: »
    Go for a focus. I don't know any Alfa owner who hasn't been back to the garage a hundred times. Fords are fairly good hence they sell loads

Alfas may not have the same reputation for quality, but having upgraded from a Focus to a 147 - they are in a totally different class.

Focus is a fantastic car, but the cockpit is like driving a van in comparison to the Alfa. The Alfa puts a smile on my face every time I drive it - the focus is functional.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    ...JD Power is a satisfaction survey rather than actual reliability data. I agree that Renaults tend to do badly in JD Power but as satisfaction is subjective it isn't of huge value....

Theres nothing else like it.

Don't go for an Alfa, don't know anyone who hasnt been back to the garage with an Alfa a hundred times. Electrics are terrible and generally unreliable... Maybe go for a Toyota or a Volkswagen, thats where I'd put my money

VW's aren't great at the moment to be honest.

Its kinda wierd but Skoda use mainly the same bits but make it better than the original, you'd suspect its quality control in VW isn't what it once was...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Don't go for an Alfa, don't know anyone who hasnt been back to the garage with an Alfa a hundred times.

Ran a 155 from new for 6 years, no trouble of any kind.

Alfa's have improved radically in reliability since then, by all accounts, so I'd have no hesitation buying another.

Advertisement