Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building My Own Bike

Options
  • 13-05-2009 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

After having a look around a few bike shops and being absolutely horrified at some of the prices people are charging for bikes these, I have decided to build my own bike.

Now for all the little bits like pedals, brakes, handle bars I'm gonna shop online (horray for the internet), but for the big things, like the wheels and frame, that would be a pain to get delivered I'm gona buy them locally.

So my question is, does anyone know where I can get a road racer frame in and around the greater leinster area for a good price?
    It doesn't have to be new, as I'm toying with the idea of spraying it.

Also wheels? I'm gona get the tyres and tubing myself but the wheels might be a bit hard to ship, so does anyone know anywhere that sells nice wheels?

Answers on a postcard,
    Tony

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

TonyBoney wrote: »
    Also wheels? I'm gona get the tyres and tubing myself but the wheels might be a bit hard to ship, so does anyone know anywhere that sells nice wheels?

I got whells built for 200 pounds and shipped from Dave Hinde in the UK for 20pounds. You should be able to buy wheels locally for 200 Euros.

Frames -- not sure where to get a good deal but it you want a scrappage bike go to the recycle yards and get one from the skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Now for all the little bits like pedals, brakes, handle bars I'm gonna shop online (horray for the internet), but for the big things, like the wheels and frame, that would be a pain to get delivered I'm gona buy them locally.
    Its not really, I like quite a few people here bought their bikes/frames/etc.. online... it was like 20euro shipping for a full bike, can't go wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 TonyBoney

Really?

I would have thought it would be mad expense. Any suggestions on websites that sell frames and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

What's your budget? People could recommend €140 or €1400 wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

What's your budget for your bike, out of curiosity?

• Advertisement

Well to be honest, I couldn't see myself spending more than I have to on wheels. I was thinking of fairly cheap ones, that (and I know I'm gona get slagged for saying this) look cool. So the cheapest funky looking wheels you can recommend, my friend!

Alright Gavin,

My budget is between 200-400 for the whole bike. Do you reckon I can do it in that sort of budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Pair of Mavic Aksiums?

On sale here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38222

(plenty of online stores offering cheap/free postage)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Alright Gavin,

My budget is between 200-400 for the whole bike. Do you reckon I can do it in that sort of budget?

Meep!

Start trawling skips my friend, for pretty much everything.

Morgan wrote: »
    Pair of Mavic Aksiums?

On sale here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38222

(plenty of online stores offering cheap/free postage)

Nice one! That pretty much the wheels sorted!

• Advertisement

lukester wrote: »
    Meep!

Start trawling skips my friend, for pretty much everything.

Ha ha! Yeah I reckon I can build it, make it look awesome and come in under budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

are you building a fixie/single speed or do you want gears?

Ha ha! Yeah I reckon I can build it, make it look awesome and come in under budget!

Go for it. Be sure to post pics. And please don't fashion your own drops :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Alright Gavin,

Hey Tony,
    You'll get better value buying a complete bike unless you pick up everything second hand. But then you have to take into account the amount of time you'll spend on it and the quality and compatibility of second hand items.

Keep an eye on adverts.ie, buyandsell, club forums, ebay, etc and just buy a second hand road bike. The tools alone to put together a complete bike will come to at least 50 quid and more like 100.

are you building a fixie/single speed or do you want gears?

Yeah I was thinking about that, a single speed would be easier to build but it would be nice to have gears. So I think I'm gona have to go with gears, nothing too mad just the bare minimum.

Gavin wrote: »
    Hey Tony,
    You'll get better value buying a complete bike unless you pick up everything second hand. But then you have to take into account the amount of time you'll spend on it and the quality and compatibility of second hand items.

Keep an eye on adverts.ie, buyandsell, club forums, ebay, etc and just buy a second hand road bike. The tools alone to put together a complete bike will come to at least 50 quid and more like 100.

Yeah I hear what you're saying, but a mix n' match frankenstein bike would be great fun to make!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I hope you don;t mind me saying, and no offence as I don't know you, but:

Have you got any ideas of what you are doing? Are you any good at building bikes? at building anything? Do you know anything about bikes?

If you want to get a cheap bike as Gavin said, look up the ads. If you want to build a bike and you've never done it before, you are going to need specific tools and knowledge, while 400 quid could get you a New single speed or a Good 2nd hand bike already built.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@TonyBoney- you will not build a road bike from new parts off the internet for €200-400.

Generally speaking it is cheaper to buy a bike complete rather than build- the reason to build is if you want the freedom to spec every last component so you get exactly the bike you want. It certainly isn't cheaper.

Your best bet at that price point is to look for a second hand entry level road bike.

If you want a cheap bike, buy, not build.

The only good reason to self-build like that is to learn about building a bike. If that's your motivation, go build that frankenstein.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes, buying a whole bike usually works out much cheaper than building your own. So if you want to save money, forget about it.

Building a bike for less than €400 would mean relying heavily on second hand parts, especially for the frame.

• Advertisement

I hope you don;t mind me saying, and no offence as I don't know you, but:

Have you got any ideas of what you are doing? Are you any good at building bikes? at building anything? Do you know anything about bikes?

If you want to get a cheap bike as Gavin said, look up the ads. If you want to build a bike and you've never done it before, you are going to need specific tools and knowledge, while 400 quid could get you a New single speed or a Good 2nd hand bike already built.

Ha ha! Yeah 400 would get me an off the shelf bike, but where's the fun in that. So in answer to your questions:

Have you got any ideas of what you are doing? - Yeah, I'm building a bike.

Are you any good at building bikes? - I'm not the worst bike-builder-man in the world, but I doubt I'm the best.

Do you know anything about bikes? - Bikes have two wheels and go fast!

el tonto wrote: »
    Yes, buying a whole bike usually works out much cheaper than building your own. So if you want to save money, forget about it.

Building a bike for less than €400 would mean relying heavily on second hand parts, especially for the frame.

So you reckon the frame would be the most expensive? Legend, so second hand frame and then new stuff like brakes and wheels. Sound like a plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 flerg

Dublinwaste.ie
    jumbletown.ie
    gumtree.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Maybe go find a frame first and post again with pics and what you plan to do with it. Are you talking of building a fixie for cycling around town or a fully geared bike for racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Do you know anything about bikes? - Bikes have two wheels and go fast!

Only if you have the legs my dear.

How to build a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

How tall are you and what size frame are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I reckon this thread could go places so long as there are pic's and the bike is to be entered into an event... even a boards spin!

Its like having our very own bike 'Eddie The Eagle', 'boney the biker' for instance??

One man sayes 'screw the rules' and builds his own bike without knowing what he's up to....

Eddy%20Eaagle.gif

Wrong eddie the eagle but possibly apt?!

Pics and public performance of the bike is demanded!!!

eddie-eag.jpg

There ya go:cool:

flerg wrote: »
    Dublinwaste.ie
    jumbletown.ie
    gumtree.ie

Jumble Town, what a great idea!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Maybe go find a frame first and post again with pics and what you plan to do with it. Are you talking of building a fixie for cycling around town or a fully geared bike for racing?

I'm gona go with a fully geared bike but I'm to sure about the whole racing part!

• Advertisement

Only if you have the legs my dear.

How to build a bike.

Nice one! Step by step instructions! It's like painting by colours, but with a bike and not a colouring book.

Advertisement