Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawkins strips away religion's dead wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Dades wrote: »
    Oh come on.

For every remark like that here from a believer, we have a dozen implying that religious people are deluded/stupid/disingenuous.

If we give it, we have to be able to take it.

I agree up to a point but we're (well my self at least) are not the ones making claims of knowledge about the truth of existence on zero evidence. As I said though I applaud Jakkass ability to persist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Jakkass wrote: »
    Kipperhell: Nothing I say or do will ever please you. I have taken a lot of consideration into Wicknights points and I've tried to deal with them as best as I can. If all you can do is moan about the discussion what's the point in even posting anything? If all you can do is raise ad-hominems that really shows how limited what you have to bring to the discussion actually is.

I'm looking forward to Wicknights response and I aim to keep it a peaceable back and forth.

I have repeatedly told you that if you actually responded to what is put to you I would be quite happy. Just explaining the nature of the barriers you use which would be useful for other users. Just more detail in it than just saying there are barriers or blinkers. I point out it is nothing personal just the method of argument applied is constructed in a manner that it is insular.

Effectively your points are all based on faith if I reject this faith personally at the root the logical arguments are impossible for you to discuss as you use faith to answer them.

It isn't a personal attack it is an attack on the system of self supporting belief and after trying to discuss the flaws of such discussion it is apparent that some people can't see the problem. I don't see why so many discussions need to include one persons personal belief repeated at tedium without ever answering them directly.

That last sentence is personal not as an attack but out of pure frustration having to hear the same unquestionable statements made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Jakkass wrote:
    As I say, I don't mind that at all. I advocate free speech. As long as atheism and agnosticism are subject to the same criticism go nuts.

I don't see how atheism (a non belief in something) can be subject to the same criticism. Can you criticize atheism please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Jakkass rest assured I never agree with you man. What I'm applauding is how well you convinced yourself how absolutely logical and water tight your point of view regardless of the countless times you've been showed otherwise.

I'd say the same for you :)
    You may not have intended offense I'll never know but thats certainly how it came off to me.

I can assure you I certainly didn't. It just depends on how much you trust me I guess.
    I agree up to a point but we're (well my self at least) are not the ones making claims of knowledge about the truth of existence on zero evidence. As I said though I applaud Jakkass ability to persist.

I'd argue that neither has done this. Atheists argue they have indication for their viewpoint, and Christians argue that they have indication for theirs. Indication is really evidence by implication. What implies to me that this is the truth is the only real main point of discussion we can come from in a discussion like this where there is quite a good bit of ambiguity otherwise.
    liamw wrote: »
    I don't see how atheism (a non belief in something) can be subject to the same criticism. Can you criticize atheism please?

Anyone who puts forward a position on any particular issue is subject to criticism for said position. I could criticise atheism if I really wanted, but I am here to try and understand more instead of just getting into another waste of a discussion here that will end up with a lot of people getting hot and bothered. You can understand that right considering the recent failures of discussion here.

Kipperhell: I'd like to discuss the topic rather than discuss your view of me (which would be an ad-hominem) or with how you think I conduct my discussion. It's wholly irrelevant. Even in terms of Wicknight we have been sharing our opinions and I have been considering what he says. I don't agree with him, but I want to see where he is coming from more. Then again who on earth has discussions with people just to get the other to agree. There is more to talk than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I'd say the same for you :)

Care to publish this conclusive, undeniable evidence that god exists you have?
    Atheists argue they have indication for their viewpoint.

I find most of the time I argue against the indications of the religious. I mean as an atheist what indicators am I looking for? That said when anybody provides a suitable indicator of any god I am no longer an atheist. You will of course say that there are plenty worthy indicators but if that were the case why would you bother trying to understand the atheist point of view as you claim to be doing here. All I need to understand about the Xtian position is that it requires faith.

• Advertisement

Care to publish this conclusive, undeniable evidence that god exists you have?

I believe they call that proof. Proof isn't the same as indication. Indication isn't conclusive or undeniable, it is merely something that suggests that something is likely to be true. Evidence doesn't necessarily mean proof.
    I find most of the time I argue against the indications of the religious. I mean as an atheist what indicators am I looking for? That said when anybody provides a suitable indicator of any god I am no longer an atheist. You will of course say that there are plenty worthy indicators but if that were the case why would you bother trying to understand the atheist point of view as you claim to be doing here. All I need to understand about the Xtian position is that it requires faith.

What do you decree to be a suitable indicator without it being absolute proof? Remember indications are not the same thing as proof.

I do note that this could be a tedious path of discussion to go down if we want to remain on topic and to stop people getting hot and bothered about evidence after the vast amount of times we have done it before.

I'd far prefer to discuss what potential changes would have to be made to religion according to you guys for it to survive in the Western world as we haven't really discussed that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

I'd far prefer to discuss what potential changes would have to be made to religion according to you guys for it to survive in the Western world as we haven't really discussed that before.

:pac:

"Atheists, advising Christians on how to propogate their religion since 2009."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Well as you know I'm not one of these guys lol However the whole angle of Jesus being God come down to Earth would seem like it needs pruning if the religion is ever to regain it's former credibility in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Maybe replace the Bible with the Jefferson Bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

For me there would have to be absolute proof. No matter how much so called evidence by indication you have there will always be an element of believing because you want to believe as opposed to believing because it's been shown to be true. I don't consider faith, ie belief without evidence, to be an admirable quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I argue that atheists do not have a full understanding of this basis for faith at all and can't do actually unless they understand religious experience. It's futile to discuss something that another doesn't have any understanding of at all in an argument though.
    So why do you argue about religion on Boards so damn often?

I don't think people who claim to have had 'religious experiences' really understand just how severely the human mind can deceived.

At the same time, perhaps it's just that I've never had a religious experience, and if I had one, I'd know it was real and that God existed.

Either way, this shows that religious belief cannot be arrived at through study, arguments etc., but by random 'experiences'.

With this established, why consider your pursuit of debate with atheists?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    For me there would have to be absolute proof. No matter how much so called evidence by indication you have there will always be an element of believing because you want to believe as opposed to believing because it's been shown to be true. I don't consider faith, ie belief without evidence, to be an admirable quality.

I don't think that faith does mean belief without evidence. If you replaced the word evidence with "proof" then that would be more useful at least from my understanding of it. What is indicated to you from various different sources is still very much evidence, it just isn't proof. So yes that's fine.
    JC 2K3 wrote: »
    So why do you argue about religion on Boards so damn often?

Well, for a number of reasons. To clear up misconceptions about the Christian faith that I hear, to see how other people think, and to share my understanding of the world with other people primarily. It challenges me to find out answers to questions I've never thought about. The scrutiny of an atheist is beneficial to Christian faith. Additionally because I'm somewhat interested in it.
    I don't think people who claim to have had 'religious experiences' really understand just how severely the human mind can deceived.

Do you? If so please elaborate on this further.
    Either way, this shows that religious belief cannot be arrived at through study, arguments etc., but by random 'experiences'.

I'd agree with this much. However faith can be aided by reason, and if faith is without reason it is well and truly blind.
    With this established, why consider your pursuit of debate with atheists?

See above :)

At the same time, perhaps it's just that I've never had a religious experience, and if I had one, I'd know it was real and that God existed.

I know I wouldn't. Having what I'd consider a religious experience wouldn't erase the knowledge that the human mind can be easily deceived.

Relevance to my statement? 'self contradictory', example, 'eye for an eye', 'turn the other cheek'

Yes "turn the other cheek" was Jesus fulfilling the previous commandment. It makes that perfectly clear in the New Testament. He even says that the prophets told you "an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth a life for a life", but I tell you "turn the other cheek". This is the New Covenant fulfilling the Old Covenant. If you don't see the explanation for why the Scriptures are the way they are of course they will seem that way.
    Now, these are completely plucked out of thin air, If you sat a bible or some other holy book in front of me, I could likely with a matter of minutes find several 'self contradictory' statements.

I'm sure you could by misinterpreting it.
    They can be logical about many things, but fear of death, the unknown, hard realities of life can lead many to overlook this logic when looking at their indoctrinated superstitious beliefs.

Again I don't get the fear of death excuse. It's not a major part of my faith. Even if there was no afterlife in Christianity I still would hold to the virtues that Jesus taught. It's hardly the primary reason for my faith anyway.
    If he rose from the dead, he is a zombie, zombies are reanimated corpses :P
    Sorry, but seriously, worship of a dead mans words and deeds so long ago and by so many differing accounts, with no evidence other than these 2000 year old accounts of these amazing miracles as you put it, is just not sensible IMO, as above, logic issue.

Fair enough on the zombie definition.

Carrying on however you have to note that Christians don't believe that Jesus has died but rather the Church on earth is the body of Christ.

Why not follow the ethical commands of Jesus, or what can you find wrong with them? That would probably be best in another thread. Feel free to start one in the Christianity forum if you want :)

Bear in mind, without descending into the "logic" rhethoric. What is logical for one may not be logical for another.

The Bible even makes this clear, the cross is foolishness for those who are perishing (1 Corinthians 1:18). Every time I come onto this forum this makes more and more sense.
    There is a lovely thread on the Christianity forum that says otherwise, everyone is going to burn in hell bar those who are christian devout, or unaware of christianity at all, bless them. (though I thought they were also meant to go to hell, or was it limbo, but of course limbo was a tester by the church which they scrapped, so did it ever exist?)

This decision is up to God. Your life is not over there is plenty of opportunity for you to seek God later on in your life. As such I don't think it's appropriate to tell you or anyone else that they are going to hell. We have been revealed that if you reject Jesus in public, He will reject you before the Father. We don't know about those who haven't heard Christ at all, I trust that God as a righteous judge will make the correct judgement.
    But wars over religion involving chritianity have occured, yes?

I don't think the Crusades or the Inquisition involved true Christianity as Jesus thought it. They did involve human greed. Corrupt men did horrible things in the name of God. I consider both these acts and other acts abhorrent.

However I don't think Christianity is accountable for this any more than I think that atheism is accountable for Stalin, Mao, Hoxha, and Pol Pot and their acts in the 20th century. Fair enough point, no?

Apologies for not replying, I didn't see your post until just then.

Do you? If so please elaborate on this further.
    Seen the Matrix? I find no reason not to believe that that could not be possible (although probably unfeasible).

See my reply to Sam Vimes below also, it's quite relevant here.
    I know I wouldn't. Having what I'd consider a religious experience wouldn't erase the knowledge that the human mind can be easily deceived.
    Yeah, unless there was something REALLY, amazingly special about it, and you just knew that God was real because of that.

However, considering the studies they did back in the 60s on the similarities between religious experience and the effects of certain psychedelic drugs, I find myself arriving at the conclusion that such states of mind can be achieved by naturalistic means, and that, in fact, people who have claimed to have had religious experiences are just misinterpreting a profound, but natural experience.

I don't think that faith does mean belief without evidence. If you replaced the word evidence with "proof" then that would be more useful at least from my understanding of it. What is indicated to you from various different sources is still very much evidence, it just isn't proof. So yes that's fine.

Well ok let's clarify. The amount of evidence I require is inversely proportional to the likelihood of the event. For example I have learned that St Patrick came to Ireland in 432. I don't need to have that to be absolutely proven to me for two reasons:
    • It doesn't make that much difference when he came
    • I see no reason to doubt it. It seems perfectly plausible considering he lived from 390 – 460

It's enough for me that it has been recorded. However it is also claimed that he banished the snakes from Ireland. That claim requires more than simply reading it in a book because:
    • There is no indication that there ever were snakes in Ireland
    • It seems unlikely that one man could remove all the snakes
    • History is littered with such unbelievable claims

In that case a lot more than a single book would be needed because it doesn't fit with what seems likely and with the universe that we're used to

To get to religion, if you want to tell me that there was a man called Jesus who lived around 0 AD who had disciples and preached a message of peace I would most likely be willing to accept a book that claimed such because that all seems very plausible. This is where evidence by indication is useful. However, if you want to claim that he walked on water, healed the sick and was raised from the dead you're going to need a lot more than a 2000 year old book claiming as much. You must first show that such things are even possible before you can start to give indication that they happened in the past.

For example if you prove to me that there was a city called Sodom that was destroyed all that indicates to me is that there was a city called Sodom that was destroyed. A good first step would be to show that it couldn't have been destroyed by an earthquake, a hurricane or a flood as common sense would suggest

To quote David Hume: "We should only believe in a miracle if the possibility of the witness being deceived or lying would be more "miraculous."

Seen the Matrix? I find no reason not to believe that that could not be possible (although probably unfeasible).

Indeed, and there are academics who say that there is a 33% likelihood that we are in a simulated universe being processed by a computer. In Computer Science there was a few lectures on this when we were discussing that modern computers if given enough memory and time can simulate the entire universe (based on the theories of Alan Turing). I have no reason to believe that this isn't possible either. I'd regard it as highly unlikely.
    Yeah, unless there was something REALLY, amazingly special about it, and you just knew that God was real because of that.

This is the issue. You will have theists saying that they are amazingly special, and you will have atheists saying that they aren't. This is why it is a useless argument for atheists because they can't relate to said position. However it is a key part of the faith of a Christian.
    However, considering the studies they did back in the 60s on the similarities between religious experience and the effects of certain psychedelic drugs, I find myself arriving at the conclusion that such states of mind can be achieved by naturalistic means, and that, in fact, people who have claimed to have had religious experiences are just misinterpreting a profound, but natural experience.

You noted this before. I found it interesting. However this doesn't rule out God in any meaningful sense of the word. I would argue that this would be merely an argument based on the how and not the why. You would agree that the how (as explained by science) is different from the why (based on philosophical questioning and metaphysics)?

I would find the retort of a natural experience to be somewhat of a cop out for not explaining the why, what purpose does this serve. Interesting all the same.

Exactly. Just look at all the religions that take psychotropic substances in order to "communicate with their gods"

Well ok let's clarify. The amount of evidence I require is inversely proportional to the likelihood of the event. For example I have learned that St Patrick came to Ireland in 432. I don't need to have that to be absolutely proven to me for two reasons:

That's fine, I don't have any issue with that.
    It's enough for me that it has been recorded. However it is also claimed that he banished the snakes from Ireland. That claim requires more than simply reading it in a book because:
    • There is no indication that there ever were snakes in Ireland
    • It seems unlikely that one man could remove all the snakes

As for the snakes, it isn't reported on in any piece of literature that is attributed to Patrick himself from what I can recall from looking at Patricks Confessions. We also have reason to suspect that Christianity existed in Ireland before his arrival too. Again, no problem understanding this.
    To get to religion, if you want to tell me that there was a man called Jesus who lived around 0 AD who had disciples and preached a message of peace I would most likely be willing to accept a book that claimed such because that all seems very plausible. This is where evidence by indication is useful. However, if you want to claim that he walked on water, healed the sick and was raised from the dead you're going to need a lot more than a 2000 year old book claiming as much. You must first show that such things are even possible before you can start to give indication that they happened in the past.

Of course I would need more than a 2000 year old book to claim such. Many people have argued for miracles without basing it on the Christian text, but looking outside and reasoning it logically. I personally had issues with accepting miracles, however C.S Lewis did make a lot of sense about it and how the supernatural manifests itself in a natural world. Hence upon finding that reasonable I adopted such an understanding as it was very well explained. So yes, I think that you are fine to have this standard for miracles. Of course one needs to have assurance that such things are possible before one believes in such things. Again I have no argument with you here.
    For example if you prove to me that there was a city called Sodom that was destroyed all that indicates to me is that there was a city called Sodom that was destroyed. A good first step would be to show that it couldn't have been destroyed by an earthquake, a hurricane or a flood as common sense would suggest

Yes, it's a minor indication of Biblical validity, it doesn't prove that God exists, or that every other claim in the Bible is true. I never actually argued this ever when I used such a point in the past. It does mean that the Bible does contain some truth. As I've also said, it's one of many indications one can have for Christianity.
    To quote David Hume: "We should only believe in a miracle if the possibility of the witness being deceived or lying would be more "miraculous."

Yes Hume was a good philosopher I will say that for him. It is also best we remember what bias he had :). I think some of his stuff on the cosmological and teleological arguments are very good in thinking about their shortcomings. (I must consult the philosophy of religion book I have again soon).

I personally had issues with accepting miracles, however C.S Lewis did make a lot of sense about it and how the supernatural manifests itself in a natural world. Hence upon finding that reasonable I adopted such an understanding as it was very well explained
    What did he say about them?

It does mean that the Bible does contain some truth. As I've also said, it's one of many indications one can have for Christianity.
    Well of course the bible contains some truth. No one has ever suggested that every single word in it was made up. It would be ridiculous for the story of Sodom to be based on a fictional city instead of an actual place that was actually destroyed. I'd see it the same way some people blamed hurricane Katrina on the gay accepting lifestyle in New Orleans. These bigots exist even in the 21st century so of course they existed 2000 years ago when such claims carried more weight

The only parts of the bible that I am interested in seeing the evidence for are the miraculous parts and proving Sodom does not indicate anything supernatural unless you can also show that it couldn't have been destroyed by a natural disaster. To use the old theist argument: "you can't prove it wasn't an earthquake!"

• Advertisement

pts wrote: »
    Maybe replace the Bible with the Jefferson Bible.

I had a feeling that someone would say something like this. Removing everything about God wouldn't make it a religion anymore. Jefferson's Bible is an interesting read to see what he left in and what he removed, however it's not a touch on the real thing.
    What did he say about them?

I could go on and on about it here, or I could give you some material to read. I don't particularly want to discuss evidence on this thread as it could get messy. This topic is far better than the same boring old arguments we get into about evidence.

http://www.cslewisinstitute.org/pages/resources/publications/knowingDoing/2004/Miracles.pdf
    Well of course the bible contains some truth. No one has ever suggested that every single word in it was made up. It would be ridiculous for the story of Sodom to be based on a fictional city instead of an actual place that was actually destroyed. I'd see it the same way some people blamed hurricane Katrina on the gay accepting lifestyle in New Orleans. These bigots exist even in the 21st century so of course they existed 2000 years ago when such claims carried more weight

That's a fair point actually. If the Sodom incident were isolated on it's own it would not give much credence to God having been behind it. I can recognise that much. However if you had multiple instances or additional indications that could be verified would one eventually start to consider that it could be more than a coincidence?
    The only parts of the bible that I am interested in seeing the evidence for are the miraculous parts and proving Sodom does not indicate anything supernatural unless you can also show that it couldn't have been destroyed by a natural disaster. To use the old theist argument: "you can't prove it wasn't an earthquake!"

What theist argument? :confused:

As for the Bible and miracles. I wouldn't consider them the parts I am most interested in anyway. I'm more interested in the message and the practical implications it could have on my life. I've always been minded that kind of way towards the Bible since I started to read it.

I could go on and on about it here, or I could give you some material to read. I don't particularly want to discuss evidence on this thread as it could get messy. This topic is far better than the same boring old arguments we get into about evidence.

http://www.cslewisinstitute.org/pages/resources/publications/knowingDoing/2004/Miracles.pdf
    I'll have a read

That's a fair point actually. If the Sodom incident were isolated on it's own it would not give much credence to God having been behind it. I can recognise that much. However if you had multiple instances or additional indications that could be verified would one eventually start to consider that it could be more than a coincidence?
    I don't consider the whole Sodom thing as evidence at all, even an indication. I carries zero weight with me so no matter how many things of equal weight you had, the evidence would still add up to zero. When talking about claims of walking on water and raising from the dead, many weak indications to not make a strong indication. You have to show that these things are possible before you can use arguments like "they couldn't have lied". I know lying is possible so I'll always go to that conclusion before I go to a supernatural one. These weak indications will never, ever be convincing to me.

If, however, you had one piece of compelling evidence that I could accept, I might accept these weak indications after the fact. Once you show that miracles are possible my requirement for proof for these events would drop because they would then fit with the known universe. But I will never accept them on their own
    What theist argument? :confused:
    The argument "You can't prove God doesn't exist". you've used a variation of it yourself when you said there's nothing to suggest that God didn't have a hand in evolution. The obvious response being "there's nothing to suggest he did either"
    As for the Bible and miracles. I wouldn't consider them the parts I am most interested in anyway. I'm more interested in the message and the practical implications it could have on my life. I've always been minded that kind of way towards the Bible since I started to read it.

In terms of how I live my life I'm the same. The philosophy of Jesus is a very good one to live your life by. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is the golden rule of morality. The only problem I have is the whole supernatural side and the idea that you'll burn in hell if you don't believe in their book etc. I think Thomas Jefferson would agree when I say:Christianity is great once you take the religious parts out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I can't imagine those who claim to follow Christ falling any lower than 20% in Europe as a whole.
    Why?

I would be surprised if this didn't happen. Possibly not in my lifetime, but within the next few hundred years. There is only so far organised religions like Christianity can survive in a society progressively marching forward in terms of education and living standard.
    I don't think there will be a severe impact at all in the USA.
    There already has been. People seem to be confusing the rise of fundamentalist religion with a rise in religion as a whole. Religious belief is falling. This is being matched by the fundamentalisation of those who are hanging on. As religious belief falls religious people get more vocal and extreme, precisely because of the feeling that their religion is being eroded and under threat.
    I have little reason to doubt that this is merely a trend that is occurring in this particular time frame and that there will be other time frames whereby religion sees a revival.
    Well that is possible. Something like a world wide pandemic certainly might reverse things and bring people back to religion.

But in the grand scheme of things I think there is little reason to view this decline as a blimp on the human time scale. The correlations are there, increase living standards, increase education, increase science, increase the spread of ideas and openness to challenge ideas, and organised religion falls.

Again though I would point out I'm not necessarily equating this with a rise in atheism.
    See, this is the issue though. You're making a rather big assumption here and that is that Christianity has no place in free societies although it has existed in free societies for quite a long time now.
    It has been declining in these societies for quite a long time now from a starting point of almost complete acceptance.
    It's not only in oppressive nations where Christianity has grown, but also in free societies like South Korea. Infact I'd argue that freedom, forgiveness and other Western values were buiilt from Christian principles but were eventually adapted into secular discourse as well.
    Korea is actually a good example of what I'm talking about. Christianity may be growing in Korea but nearly 50% of the population adhere to no organised religion. Christianity is growing among the religious group that is quickly heading towards being a minority as over all religious subscription falls.
    Christianity is a rather big chunk of who I am, it's how I identify myself mainly. As I say feel free.
    That isn't really the issue. The question is will your children feel the same need for religion. Or their children? Will the arguments for Christianity make sense to them as they make sense to you?
    Yes, and Richard Dawkins had his moment in the spotlight. Everyone is accountable to said ridicule. I think the message is more that with Trey Parker and Matt Stone that it is better just to take the ridicule instead of bringing lawsuits to light.
    Yes but there is a point behind the ridicule. A lot of stuff we hold on to, particularly religious belief, we hold on to for reasons other than because it makes sense and is sensible. Ridicule can highlight this, turn the mirror back on people. This applies to atheists as much as anyone.

I don't know how much you have read of Christian apologetics or who you have read so I can't really comment until you have clarified that much. Although you did admit to having consulted some C.S Lewis a while back. I will say that you are probably more open minded than many others.
    I've read Lewis and found his arguments quite bad though it is clear he has put thought into it. With Lewis though you feel he is trying to find a solution having already made his mind up that such a solution should exist.

I've read books that expand upon Lewis and found these not only bad but in some cases seem to miss the point of Lewis himself, which was a bit odd.

I've never heard any apologetic argument that could not be dismantled within 5 minutes by anyone who has a basic understanding of Dawkins or Harris, let alone the atheist heavy weights.

Ultimately the apologetic arguments seem to me to be appealing to emotion rather than reason. They are an attempt to give believers who want to believe something to hang on to, rather than an actual argument for belief. It reminds me a lot of the Creationists. To the Creationist movement what seems most important is the idea that there is a debate taking place over things like evolution or carbon dating. This allows them to rationalise their beliefs. Things are undecided, things are up in the air, there are two sides, there is evidence for and against, nothing is set yet, both sides have theories. I can still believe in a 6,000 year old Earth and tell myself that this has not been ruled out yet.

What comes a distant second to forming a debate is the question of whether the arguments and theories on the Creationist side have any merit at all to them. That is not important.

Christian apologetics seems similar to this. What seems to matter more than the arguments themselves is simply that they exist, allow people to say that there are arguments in support of their beliefs. I would support this assertion some what by the fact that any time I've debated Christian arguments the Christians seem utterly uninterested in any of the flaws in these arguments.

Bring all that back to this thread itself, I think the effect of Christian apologetics to put forward a convincing argument for faith to people who have not already accepted is severely diminished as more people openly discuss these arguments including the flaws in them and gain education into alternative understand through things like science. A lot of religion's power is in explaining things we don't understand.
    Individual Christians can be a terrible example. C.S Lewis also deals with this extensively in Mere Christianity.
    I would agree, but it is a very common response on the Christian forum, people being told to spend time with Christians as if this demonstrates the truth of the claims of the religion.
    In fairness do you not find it absurd that other people are somehow qualified to speak about the lives of others?

Not in the slightest. I do find it absurd that we would expect someone to know themselves what is happening to them when they experience spiritual feelings. We would not expect this for physical feelings (My doctor says that pain in my back is cancer but I'm pretty sure it is something else), why we think individuals are capable of self diagnosing their own mental experiences I've no idea.
    I'm not quite as sure about this. Many people do see compatibility between Christianity and evolution. Many would also argue there is no reason whatsoever why they aren't compatible.
    That wasn't really my point. Evolution explains human emotions and moral systems very well, why we have morals, why we feel emotions such as love, why some of us are violent or "evil".

This relegates Christian explanations, for example the Fall, to a diminished position of unnecessary and unsupported speculation.
    There will always be people such as myself who find it more logical that the creation cannot be the creator.
    Yes but that is just the same as saying there will always be people who don't totally accept evolution. So it isn't really that evolution and Christianity are compatible, it is that some people pick and choose what parts of evolution they accept and which they don't
    Evolution as a biological theory, I would find has nothing to do with the secular efforts of people to establish moral theories.

It isn't trying to, but it does explain why humans make efforts to establish moral theories in the first place. It explains where our basic instinct for morality comes from, rather than invoking God to explain this. It explains why we all have a sense of right and wrong.
    I'd argue that that is effectively a non-point though. Atheists have been coming back to Christ all over the world. There is absolutely no reason why this cannot happen in Europe or any other region of the world.
    Well there is if you look at who these atheists are and why they are converting. For example the middle classes in China converting to Christianity are not equivalent to middle classes in Europe abandoning Christianity.
    People have been saying the same type of nonsense that you have been spouting since the 18th century.
    And since the Enlightenment membership in organised religion has been declining in the Western world.
    Why do you seem to think there will be this point of demise at all? Why are you interested in the destruction of religion?

I'm interested in a lot of things Jakkass. I find humans and human behaviour fascinating.
    I would have thought this would have been a good time to make a common framework to co-exist together rather than rambling about the demise of the other.

It is nothing to do with co-existing. The humans aren't going any where, they are simply rejecting religion.

Lot of points there, will try to get to the rest soon

I would find the retort of a natural experience to be somewhat of a cop out for not explaining the why, what purpose does this serve. Interesting all the same.
    You're the one who's claiming there is a "why?"

Our brains just happen to have evolved that way as far as I'm concerned. Naturally profound experiences don't have to have a purpose any more than our appendix has to have a purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Name one incident in the history of humanity that has been verified as an act of God.

If every time something happens, such as a natural disaster, it is attributed to God it is hardly surprising you will get a long list of disasters attributed to God.

Look at the history of America over the last 100 years. Everything in America, from the San Fran quake at the turn of the 20th century to Katrina, has been attributed to God's wrath on America. Saying that this has happened more than once and this demonstrates something is rather silly

I've read that link now Jakkass and I'm afraid it gets an F. Just dealing with the summary:
    To those who would deny the miraculous, C. S. Lewis
    might say: First, naturalists (who view nature as a closed
    box) have great difficulty sustaining their position because
    the credibility of the thinking used to establish the
    position is severely undermined by their own assumptions.
    It's basically saying that our whole thought process cannot be verified so we cannot know that miracles are impossible. Well we can't actually know anything for sure other than our own consciousness exists but we can be pretty damn sure through verifiable, repeatable experiments. Sorry but fail
    Second, miracles are not impossible because there
    is no argument to prove that they cannot happen.
    the argument used is:
    What if 500 people were claimed to have risen from the
    dead and 5,000 people in each case were said to have
    witnessed the resurrection, would that bring a different
    result?
    I was assured that no it would still be several billion
    versus 5,000 in each case. It would not matter if I and all
    my friends witnessed 100 miracles; the result would still be the same.
    It wouldn't matter if 5000 people claimed it because it would still just be a claim and the human mind can be deceived. However, if one of them had some compelling evidence.....

The second argument actually contradicts the first because he first claims that our thought process is dodgy and then can't understand why someone wouldn't accept an unfounded claim from people who follow that thought process. We know that the human mind is fallible, that's why we verify things experimentally
    Third,
    they are not improbable unless you wrongly oppose instances
    of natural law to unusual or miraculous events.
    You need to weigh the historical evidence for each of
    these unusual events before excluding or accepting
    them. Fourth, miracles are not inappropriate because
    there is a unique fitness of how miracles relate to
    Christianity by comparison with other religious systems.

Just because Christianity might place more weight on them than the one given example, Buddhism, (although I don't believe that to be the case at all) does not change the fact that other religions claim they happened and that these claims are central to their religious beliefs.

And even if I did accept that they weren't impossible and weren't improbable that does not remove the burden of proving each individual one. Even if you prove that miracles are possible doesn't mean that every claim of a miracle is true, partially because other religions also claim miracles, regardless of that article's odd attempt to dismiss their claims

btw this isn't off topic because you asked what do we think would be needed for christianity to survive and my answer is "better logic than the above"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Start off saying something along the line every time I touch my elbow I get strength and my wishes come true.
    Now in an experiment with said belief touching ones elbow fails to make the wishes come true.
    Response: Well touching my elbow always gives me strength of will and the higher power that observes my wishes sometimes doesn't grant them because it has greater wisdom. "You can't always get what you want but sometimes you get what you need"

The response circumnavigates any proof requirement and the person can retain their belief. They can believe it and have proof on the occasions it worked yet it is neither logical or true. It is a faith of sorts. Now you could of course replace elbow touching with prayer with the same results and people who claim religious logic will say it is true and use the same response.

It is obvious some people are not willing to call what they believe a faith and rather call it "truth". Excusing the ability for English to have multiple meanings it fair to excuse mistakes. When a religion refers to their belief as "truth" like a noun it is understandable that people are unable to understand the discussion and the meaning of the words. Religious indoctrination by itself can remove understanding and by its own methods replace them with circular logic as above. It is literally impossible for them to talk with reason about certain subjects because they have a circular logic and inbuilt defences. It is no stupidity that gets somebody there or keeps them there but a carefully constructed illusion that removal of self from means eternal damnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

OBNI wrote:
    Both are possible declarations of a standpoint taken by a person of faith.
    JAKASS wrote:
    I don't think b really is.
    You don't think it's possible???
    Try to understand, I wasn't trying to attribute the declaration to a particular individual. Regard them as quotes from characters in a play, (a) being written by an author sympathetic to the views of those of faith and (b) by an author trying to portray the character as defending a stance they know is vulnerable. It is a very simple form of character development in literature, as I'm sure you know. Your responses to posts can, on occasion, be framed in terms which carry over-tones of character development of the original poster; creating implicit straw-men, if you will.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Why?

This time in history is no more special than things that have happened in the past. I find the phrase "there is nothing new under the sun" to be quite poignant in this case. People have professed the same things that you have professed about Christianity, they fell flat. There have been religious revivals, and religious decline in the past. This is nothing new or nothing special by my book.
    I would be surprised if this didn't happen. Possibly not in my lifetime, but within the next few hundred years. There is only so far organised religions like Christianity can survive in a society progressively marching forward in terms of education and living standard.

I remember PDN had a quote from the 1960's that suggested that religion would be truly gone by the 1980's apart from a small cluster of believers. It just shows how wrong peoples estimates or hunches can be. I have no reason to believe that this time is any different than any other in history. I also have no reason to believe that this would last for a few decades.

Let me continue on your post about "progressively". You do realise that progressive is at the eyes of the beholder, as is "moving forward". I consider Christianisation to be progressive in terms of how it provokes us to act towards one another. It's an ideology that is forward thinking. That's my honest view on it. Of course your view that Christianity is regressive is a product of your atheism and mine is the product of Christianity. As such what use is waffling on about "progression", "regression", "forward" or "backward" going to be for any of us? You have to admit these terms can be thrown around like a ragdoll in discussions.
    There already has been. People seem to be confusing the rise of fundamentalist religion with a rise in religion as a whole. Religious belief is falling. This is being matched by the fundamentalisation of those who are hanging on. As religious belief falls religious people get more vocal and extreme, precisely because of the feeling that their religion is being eroded and under threat.

Well Wicknight, you yourself conceded that there was a rise in religious belief worldwide a few posts ago. It is very much the case especially with Christianity and Islam. Moderate religious belief is also growing in some sectors and in others it is declining. I don't see the threat to global Christianity at all apart from that we are going to find that African members of the church and Asian members of the church are going to wield more influence in global Christian affairs. If you look at the Anglican Church currently you will see that this is very much true concerning the Global South and the homosexual ministers / women ministers debate. I'm not sure if your hypothesis is entirely correct, but we can both discern certain trends I think.
    Well that is possible. Something like a world wide pandemic certainly might reverse things and bring people back to religion.

Why is a pandemic necessary? There have been several religious reawakenings around the world particularly in the 19th leading into 20th century in the USA. You know that in the early colonisation that religious attendance was actually very low in the USA. Infact on a quick google this source suggests that religious attendance in the USA was as low as 17% in 1776. If that isn't revival compared to contemporary Christianity there I don't know what is. I have no reason to assume that this isn't possible anywhere else in the world.
    But in the grand scheme of things I think there is little reason to view this decline as a blimp on the human time scale. The correlations are there, increase living standards, increase education, increase science, increase the spread of ideas and openness to challenge ideas, and organised religion falls.

Why though? Religion rises, religion falls, atheism rises, atheism falls. This is really nothing new. Example after example can show you cases of this. How come increases of living standards in some areas of the world have also resulted in Christianisation if it is true that increasing standards, increasing education and science leads to the fall of organised religion. Surely the USA or South Korea should cause you to think twice about that notion.
    Again though I would point out I'm not necessarily equating this with a rise in atheism.

Of course.
    It has been declining in these societies for quite a long time now from a starting point of almost complete acceptance.

This isn't the case for all free societies.

Korea is actually a good example of what I'm talking about. Christianity may be growing in Korea but nearly 50% of the population adhere to no organised religion. Christianity is growing among the religious group that is quickly heading towards being a minority as over all religious subscription falls.

Yes, but people didn't adhere to organised religion before missionaries started to arrive there. Therefore it shows that in free societies that religion can increase and religion can have it's place. You seem to suggest that Christianity is opposed to freedom when it actually encourages freedom.
    That isn't really the issue. The question is will your children feel the same need for religion. Or their children? Will the arguments for Christianity make sense to them as they make sense to you?

We are discussing hypothetical children here :) but I have no reason why this possibility could not happen with any potential children or grandchildren that I happen to have. I don't see how education is a hindrance, because well I don't have much fear that my faith will be destroyed by the time I graduate from university. Most of the reasons you give for people being more likely to reject religion are ultimately inaccurate. Again, you could say that people studying science are less likely to have faith. I know several people at my university who are Christians some of them are doing phD's in biology, some of them are starting off in science degrees. This bears no difficulty for them. I am technically also studying a science degree (Computer Science but through Arts this year, will be doing it single honours next year). There is nothing that would stop healthy faith forming in a society like ours if we decide to teach it the right way.

Yes but there is a point behind the ridicule. A lot of stuff we hold on to, particularly religious belief, we hold on to for reasons other than because it makes sense and is sensible. Ridicule can highlight this, turn the mirror back on people. This applies to atheists as much as anyone.

I really don't care what point you convince yourself that justifies ridicule of Christianity. As I say feel free, your questioning only encourages one thing for me, and that is to seek answers for myself. I have found that it has strengthened my faith, and I thank you for what you and others have done to strengthen my faith even if it was implicit. I remember my first discussions with you, and how they were rather shaky as I was first coming to Christianity then (in 2007). I probably shouldn't have even been discussing this with you or anyone else at that time, but I did, in many cases it solidified my opinions on certain matters.
    I've read books that expand upon Lewis and found these not only bad but in some cases seem to miss the point of Lewis himself, which was a bit odd.

In some cases the openings of his books can be in quite complex language. I had to read the start of Miracles 3 times before I started to get the point that he was trying to put forward.
    I've never heard any apologetic argument that could not be dismantled within 5 minutes by anyone who has a basic understanding of Dawkins or Harris, let alone the atheist heavy weights.

The reverse of this statement is probably also factually accurate given the refutations of the God Delusion that Allister McGrath has managed to put forward.
    Ultimately the apologetic arguments seem to me to be appealing to emotion rather than reason. They are an attempt to give believers who want to believe something to hang on to, rather than an actual argument for belief. It reminds me a lot of the Creationists. To the Creationist movement what seems most important is the idea that there is a debate taking place over things like evolution or carbon dating. This allows them to rationalise their beliefs. Things are undecided, things are up in the air, there are two sides, there is evidence for and against, nothing is set yet, both sides have theories. I can still believe in a 6,000 year old Earth and tell myself that this has not been ruled out yet.

There is nothing emotional about Lewis or anyone else that I have tried to read, or anyone who I have indeed watched. Would you mind giving examples of this instead of merely claiming so.
    Christian apologetics seems similar to this. What seems to matter more than the arguments themselves is simply that they exist, allow people to say that there are arguments in support of their beliefs. I would support this assertion some what by the fact that any time I've debated Christian arguments the Christians seem utterly uninterested in any of the flaws in these arguments.

They do exist, just as much as atheist arguments against God's existence do, I'm not quite getting the point you are trying to get to yet. I am willing to listen to the flaws in these arguments and accept them as flaws if they are flaws. I personally am interested in the truth, and Christianity seems to be most probably the truth from my perspective at the minute.
    Bring all that back to this thread itself, I think the effect of Christian apologetics to put forward a convincing argument for faith to people who have not already accepted is severely diminished as more people openly discuss these arguments including the flaws in them and gain education into alternative understand through things like science. A lot of religion's power is in explaining things we don't understand.

Yes, I will wait for you to give examples of these flaws first, otherwise it is meaningless.

Religions power is answering the why. Atheists don't seem interested in this, hence why I find it rather difficult to relate to atheist arguments. The why doesn't really matter to atheists. It matters a lot to the Christian. I'm a why kind of guy I guess.
    I would agree, but it is a very common response on the Christian forum, people being told to spend time with Christians as if this demonstrates the truth of the claims of the religion.

Well I can tell you that it is not a great argument many times. I would point anyone to look at Jesus Christs life. I'm nowhere near as good an example as He is for the Christian faith.
    Not in the slightest. I do find it absurd that we would expect someone to know themselves what is happening to them when they experience spiritual feelings. We would not expect this for physical feelings (My doctor says that pain in my back is cancer but I'm pretty sure it is something else), why we think individuals are capable of self diagnosing their own mental experiences I've no idea.

I do think that humans are relatively good witnesses for what is happening to them and how they feel about certain things. I'm not saying that my diagnosis is superior to anyone elses, but given what is currently coming to light about religious experience in the frontal lobe and so on this doesn't give any credence to the fact that God doesn't exist, not does it even indicate it. Science only concerns with "hows", and that's where the limitation is drawn. Just because we have an explanation of how doesn't mean we shouldn't seek out the why.
    That wasn't really my point. Evolution explains human emotions and moral systems very well, why we have morals, why we feel emotions such as love, why some of us are violent or "evil".

I'm an advocate for keeping evolution out of moral theory. That's more a philosophical question than a biological question. Infact I don't think evolution should be involved in assessing other areas of academia at all. Keep evolution in biology. Morals can be explained without it and are more properly explained without it if you look to moral philosophy and what people are theorising about it.
    This relegates Christian explanations, for example the Fall, to a diminished position of unnecessary and unsupported speculation.

I have yet to see how this is the case.
    Yes but that is just the same as saying there will always be people who don't totally accept evolution. So it isn't really that evolution and Christianity are compatible, it is that some people pick and choose what parts of evolution they accept and which they don't

This is a matter of Biblical interpretation rather than just "picking and choosing". You'll find that theistic evolutionists hold to Genesis 1 just as much as Young Earth Creationists do. They question the text itself from the Hebrew to see if the Young Earth Creationist is assessing it properly. Yes, it's contended but both hold to the same passage equally. I don't ridicule other understandings of Genesis 1 however. I personally don't claim to know everything about the way the world began but what I do feel is that it is possible that God could have orchestrated evolution given the meaning of the Hebrew word "yom" which is generally translated to "day" but can mean "age" or a longer period of time.
    It isn't trying to, but it does explain why humans make efforts to establish moral theories in the first place. It explains where our basic instinct for morality comes from, rather than invoking God to explain this. It explains why we all have a sense of right and wrong.

It explains the how perhaps. I'd argue that Christianity does explain the why for me, but that it can also be explained in secular discourse too. We can explain it perfectly fine without invoking evolution however. Infact I'd contend we can explain it much better without invoking evolution.
    Well there is if you look at who these atheists are and why they are converting. For example the middle classes in China converting to Christianity are not equivalent to middle classes in Europe abandoning Christianity.

Please elaborate on this point. I'm curious as to why you don't think they are equivalent.
    And since the Enlightenment membership in organised religion has been declining in the Western world.

This isn't the case I've given you examples to the contrary.

I'm interested in a lot of things Jakkass. I find humans and human behaviour fascinating.

As do I actually :)
    It is nothing to do with co-existing. The humans aren't going any where, they are simply rejecting religion.

Some are rejecting it, many more are accepting it.
    Lot of points there, will try to get to the rest soon

No rush, I've enjoyed the discussion so far :)
    You're the one who's claiming there is a "why?"

Our brains just happen to have evolved that way as far as I'm concerned. Naturally profound experiences don't have to have a purpose any more than our appendix has to have a purpose.

I just cannot have this understanding of the universe. I am interested in seeking out why the world is the way it is and I believe that these can be explained. You on the other hand reject that this is even a worthwhile practice. It's funny how people can be satisfied intellectually in very different ways.

Sam Vimes: I'm not going to get into a complete argument about a PDF file explaining very briefly the book. I'd suggest picking up the actual book at your local library or whatever and reading it for yourself.
    Name one incident in the history of humanity that has been verified as an act of God.

Apologies bad use of terms. I concede that.
    If every time something happens, such as a natural disaster, it is attributed to God it is hardly surprising you will get a long list of disasters attributed to God.

This is something I'm going to need to think about more myself. I don't have answers to every single thing that is thrown at me. I hope you understand :)

EDIT:
    Obni wrote: »
    Your responses to posts can, on occasion, be framed in terms which carry over-tones of character development of the original poster; creating implicit straw-men, if you will.

I think I dealt with the situation adequately. My terminology might have come across as strong but that can happen on this forum. I've already said that no offence was intended to be caused by that comment, however I do believe it to be the reality of the situation.

Kipperhell: Are you really that desperate to get people not to speak to me on this thread? Lighten up. I'm just having a back and forth. There are no ulterior motives involved whatsoever :)

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes: I'm not going to get into a complete argument about a PDF file explaining very briefly the book. I'd suggest picking up the actual book at your local library or whatever and reading it for yourself.

No I don't think I'll be doing that tbh. I've looked at a lot of arguments for religion from a wide variety of sources. If lewis' arguments are so good I think it's safe to assume that I've come across them from other people who didn't attribute them to him. You've given some of them yourself in the past and I've just read that article summarising some of his main points and it was extremely weak

Basically I'm not going to commit to reading it until I get some indication that I wouldn't be wasting my time reading the same old flawed arguments

Advertisement