Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poisoned cat

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

When I found out that cat was buggered it was like last night, when i posted on here.

there's no vets open this hour, all the numbers are just empty surgeon offices, i don't know of any on call vets where I live. The vet saw the cat first thing in the morning so to say nothing was done is harsh. the vet also said spending 500e or more on a drip would be pretty mad decision so we decided to put her to sleep, the vet rung my brother and told him all what was wrong and etc.

anyway, I think the cat was slightly big, even obese! and possibly did not drink enough water/fluids, but I don't have cameras on them big brother style so its just just an assumption. There is water lying around all the time, but maybe 'the cat' never drank it. who knows.?

our other cat is half the size of the one who died [same age]. but we certainly fed them, the back kitchen is full of pet food.

anyways, we will pay better attention to our other moggie now.

I love animals actually, I was in Melbourne zoo in 2002 and was there all day

X in the city, this really isn't about your not naming the cat.
    I do understand that your cats aren't as precious to you as I, and others, would view a cat to be, and that's your prerogative, and I have no problem with that attitude....as long as the cat is taken care of properly.

In all fairness, I suggested to you twice last night to ring the clinic and get the emergency number from the answering service, but you didn't. You should have.
    It may have been too late on Saturday or last night to help the cat, but it at least could have been relieved of many hours of needless pain.

And I wasn't the only person to plead with you to bring the cat indoors for the night, and you didn't. You should have.

If you're going to post in a pet issues forum where genuine animal lovers try to help animals and each other, then at least refrain from labelling us as narrow minded when you get the advice you came on looking for.

I know where your coming from, but this cat. was not actually a Persian you would coat with your duvet

it was not even possible for my to put it on my lap.

last night it was not cold I can assure you, it was in the dog kennel and I wrapped it up in blankets and left water for it. it wasn't having any of it, it seemed really weird as when I saw the cats before they were grand and all of a sudden this.

I also woke at 4/5am and checked out and rubbed her back for about 10 minutes. And I hoped that it would be brought home again this morning, going to the vet having a pet put down is a terrible thing. We had a dog put down years ago who was frail and old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

X in the city
    Your just making this worse now. I've read through this thread and yes you made some effort to get a Vet. However you ignored all advice to bring the cat indoors and help it take on water.
    Now you say that the cat was obese so you made no effort to control its diet or in any way look after it. This last post could be considered trolling.
    By the way spending the day at a zoo doesn't mean you love animals, it means you like to look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

I love animals actually, I was in Melbourne zoo in 2002 and was there all day
    :D That made me chuckle....

Most empty surgeon offices have an automated answering service which says something like "Our clinic is now closed. Opening times are blah blah blah. If you have an emergency, please ring 123456. That number again - 123456"
    You still should have rung, it was worth trying.

Personally, I'd sell my car to raise the 500 for one of my cats.

But what's done is done.
    I am glad to hear you will pay closer attention to your other cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

X in the city
    Your just making this worse now. I've read through this thread and yes you made some effort to get a Vet. However you ignored all advice to bring the cat indoors and help it take on water.
    etc.

If it was kidney failure , water may not have helped ( i don't know, not a vet )

Afaik though sudden kidney failure can happen if le chat drank some ethylene gycol ( in anti-freeze etc) .

It is very sweet and very toxic to cats especially.

Cats love the stuff though , i've seen them lick up a tiny tiny leak from an engine.( fixed very shortly afterwards.)

Newer stuff has Bitrex or similar added to it.

This should stop them drinking it.

It also has a strong flourescenty pink dye added or something similar.

I have tasted a tiny tiny bit of the newer stuff for R&D , anything that drinks it outside of R&D purposes isn't from this planet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I understand that some people don't invest as much in their pets as others. That is a sad fact of life. And I am not saying people should buy velvet cushions for their pets to lie on, or give them sirloin steaks everyday for dinner.

However, if you take on the responsibility of owning a pet, you need to take full responsibility for that animal. That means ensuring you can fully afford all necessary veterinary care & good quality food & equipment. It means you must have a decent well of knowledge of the species so you can properly care for them & recognise ailments.
    It basically means that you are the puveyor and chief interventionist in the life of this animal, and you must not do it unless you can do it fully and completely.
    Just worth considering in future.

On a side note, I think pet insurance should be mandatory for owning any cat or dog, as it would ensure that these pets are guaranteed the very best chance in life, the best treatment and would also help in some small way to restrict pet ownership to only those who can fully take on the responsibility fully. Also, making it mandatory would mean that all insurance providers would of course then offer pet insurance, thus opening up the market and resulting in competitition and better prices.
    Probably not very enforceable, but might help in a little way at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

[Minesajackdaniels]
    and this stuff about names is ridiculous, we never tended to 'name' cats dunno why but we do name our dogs. its not like we think less of them or anything.

anyway, cats are not responsive to names as much as dogs are, so i guess thats why

bull****, if i call one of my 3 cats names that cat and only that cat comes to me.

they know their names just as well as any dogs does and respond to them.

a poster told you on the first night you posted to give the cat water... they told you quite clearly that the cats best and only chance for survival was to keep it hydrated. but you couldn't be arsed :(

bet you would have paid the 500euros for one of the dogs though, guess a cat just isn't as worthy because it doesn't sit and roll over on your command. it's a shame as if you've never known the pleasure of a cat that loves and respects you and freely gives it affection then you don't even know what your missing by treating the por things as less worthy of life and attention :mad:

why did you post here? you didn't do anything that was suggested to you to save the cats life or even make it more comfortable, i'm baffled as to why you wasted your energy posting at all when you clearly have more important things to worry about than a living creature dying in front of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

Well said Pink Tulip, that poor animal must have been in agony:(

PinkTulips wrote: »
    bull****, if i call one of my 3 cats names that cat and only that cat comes to me.

they know their names just as well as any dogs does and respond to them.

a poster told you on the first night you posted to give the cat water... they told you quite clearly that the cats best and only chance for survival was to keep it hydrated. but you couldn't be arsed :(

bet you would have paid the 500euros for one of the dogs though, guess a cat just isn't as worthy because it doesn't sit and roll over on your command. it's a shame as if you've never known the pleasure of a cat that loves and respects you and freely gives it affection then you don't even know what your missing by treating the por things as less worthy of life and attention :mad:

why did you post here? you didn't do anything that was suggested to you to save the cats life or even make it more comfortable, i'm baffled as to why you wasted your energy posting at all when you clearly have more important things to worry about than a living creature dying in front of you

seems some things don't get through to people here

firstly the cat was practically wild

secondly the cat wouldn't drink anything, I had water laid out in front of her all night. what am i to do force feed it and probably give her a heart attack? besides, I did not know the cat was de-hydrated at that stage. I tried to feed her but she wouldn't do anything.

I posted a thread that night and specifically said she wouldn't drink water.

people seemed more bothered that I had not named her and brought her to bed with me rather than offering some advice on how to get some fluids into her

thirdly the vet seen it first thing in the morning, it wasn't like I threw her into a puddle to drown.

and yes, the poor cat was in agony, that's why the vet put her to sleep.

finally, if i liked 'looking' at animals i would look at a magazine, and not spend a whole day at a zoo on the other side of the globe

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

if i liked 'looking' at animals i would look at a magazine, and not spend a whole day at a zoo on the other side of the globe

:rolleyes:

Do you have teddy bears at home too??? A love of animals that strong puts all of us to shame!!!

You say you had water "lying around"- clearly, your grand love of looking at animals doesn't stretch to going to the pharmacy and spending a euro or two on a plastic syringe to get the water into her mouth. You say you tried to feed her, but she is "practically wild" and you couldn't make more of an effort to get water into her?

And I know you're not a vet, but handling a cat generally will not give it a heart attack. You should have been less worried (if you could call it that) about the minute chance of giving her a heart attack, and more worried about what was right in front of you.

• Advertisement

Magenta wrote: »
    Do you have teddy bears at home too??? A love of animals that strong puts all of us to shame!!!

You say you had water "lying around"- clearly, your grand love of looking at animals doesn't stretch to going to the pharmacy and spending a euro or two on a plastic syringe to get the water into her mouth. You say you tried to feed her, but she is "practically wild" and you couldn't make more of an effort to get water into her?

And I know you're not a vet, but handling a cat generally will not give it a heart attack. You should have been less worried (if you could call it that) about the minute chance of giving her a heart attack, and more worried about what was right in front of you.

where am I to get a syringe at 2am in the sticks..:o besides no one told me to get a syringe/bottle despite the wealth of animal lovers on here and pour it into the corner of her mouth after making a pouch.

should have used google...

Advertisement