Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libertas: Are they to be taken seriously?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Way off topic, but I think that in 100 years time, those that now say a woman cannot marry another woman, or a man cannot marry another man will be viewed in the same light as those who said a black person cannot marry a white person, or a jew cannot marry a christian are viewed now.

Call it what you like; conservative, atavistic, anachronistic, reactionary, backward.

Please don't be insulted, it's just been pointed out that you're against societal progress, and you're well within your rights to be.

PopeBuckfastXVI, either change your signature line to something shorter, or I will ban you from these forums.

annoyed,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Scofflaw wrote: »
    PopeBuckfastXVI, either change your signature line to something shorter, or I will ban you from these forums.

annoyed,
    Scofflaw

No problem!

Changed to comply with signature rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    What you consider over-simpliying I consider calling a spade a spade. The main parties in Ireland Finne Fail, Fine gael etc. do not want Civil Partnerships as do the majority of the people, I sorry about your friend but the law is the law.
    Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    And this is where your arguement becomes insulting, are you calling the majority of the Irish People and the Irish Government backward because they don't adhear to the same ideology as you ?

Firstly, Fine Gael, Labour, Sinn Fein and the Green Party are all in favour of civil unions. As far as the opinion of the Irish people, that is simply your opinion, and according to Marraige Equality and GLEN surveys it is incorrect.

So I am not calling the majority of the Irish people or any of the above mentioned political parties backward. I am calling the current legislation backward. Any yes, it is my opinion that any political party that does not support the equal rights of gay people is backward.

(PS- I am not sure of Fianna Fail's official position on this issue.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Their East constituency runner Raymond O'Malley just showed his unelectablility on The Last Word, suggesting no more peeps from the accession states should be alowed in.

mike65 wrote: »
    Their East constituency runner Raymond O'Malley just showed his unelectablility on The Last Word, suggesting no more peeps from the accession states should be alowed in.

What time was this on at? I'll check the podcast tomorrow.

• Advertisement

The whole programme is about the Euro elections with the odd diversion.

The bit in question was at about 5.50.

Thanks.

For anyone interested it should be available here tomorrow.

This has made the Independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I agree with his point tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

So Libertas are effectively advocating that Ireland leave the EU then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I would say part of our problem is our small population so immigration isn't a bad thing and immigrants tend to bring money with them to spend in our economy while they look for work IMO.

Despite the numbers coming here, more are still leaving I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Doesn't he realise that they can vote in EU elections!?

Maybe its 10% of the electorate he can live without. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sorry if this has been asked/said already.

They are running 300 candidates accross the EU. Wonder who's paying? :cool:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

esel wrote: »

Probably Ganley himself. Serious fortune he has...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

esel wrote: »

The latest figure is 500 candidates, according to Ganley himself at an address in Galway last week. I'm sceptical of that myself, but I'm not sure where to go to check it out.

Re. funding, Libertas claim that the majority of their funding comes from grass roots donations (max of ~€6500 per donor). Also, candidates can fund themselves to the tune of ~€200,000, iirc.

There was some controversy over the the Polish Libertas branch, where it was alleged that Ganley was loaning them the funds for their campaign. I'm not sure how that's played out since.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The latest figure is 500 candidates, according to Ganley himself at an address in Galway last week. I'm sceptical of that myself, but I'm not sure where to go to check it out.

Re. funding, Libertas claim that the majority of their funding comes from grass roots donations (max of ~€6500 per donor). Also, candidates can fund themselves to the tune of ~€200,000, iirc.

There was some controversy over the the Polish Libertas branch, where it was alleged that Ganley was loaning them the funds for their campaign. I'm not sure how that's played out since.

The answer appears to be that the same system was rolled out in Slovenia and Lithuania - Libertas Poland is reported to have received €250,000, Libertas Slovenia €250,000 and Libertas Lithuania has so far received €100,000. It's legal, so no more appears to be happening about it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭cat&mouse

Put a bet on today. The stakes are running low against Ganley on this & the tv. Well one who likes a bit of a gamble & very seldim I do, but when I do I've been known to have a nice holiday afterwards !!! (a handy way to make a few bob).. So here it is: 200:1 in favbour of GANLEY getting elected on the 1st count. + 300:1 on 2 MEP"s loosing. I like to sudy the form a couple of weeks in advance, so lads will it be CHEERS on G DAY from me ?
    ;)

cat&mouse wrote: »
    Put a bet on today. The stakes are running low against Ganley on this & the tv. Well one who likes a bit of a gamble & very seldim I do, but when I do I've been known to have a nice holiday afterwards !!! (a handy way to make a few bob).. So here it is: 200:1 in favbour of GANLEY getting elected on the 1st count. + 300:1 on 2 MEP"s loosing. I like to sudy the form a couple of weeks in advance, so lads will it be CHEERS on G DAY from me ?
    ;)

By two MEP's losing, you mean current sitting MEP's, I assume? That part of your bet might not be too bad- Eoin Ryan, Colm Burke, Mary Lou McDonald and Kathy Sinnott are predicted to be in a dog-fight for a last seat. Ganley's bet is not good. He's polling at 9% and will need to double his first preference vote to even have a chance of a seat, let alone getting in on first count. But who knows what shenanigans he has in store for the next couple of weeks.

I'm not sure if the Libertas claim that they are the most visited political site on the web has been debunked on here, but here's one site that has debunked it. Here's another one; it appears that the Alexa 'trick' was the brainchild of David Cochrane of Politics.ie/Libertas fame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

cat&mouse wrote: »
    ;)

I really hope you lose your money. Not that I have anything against you, but Ganley getting in? I think I might die of shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Theres more chance of Brian Cowen getting down on his knees and begging forgiveness for his many sins than Declan Ganley getting elected.

By the by, these boyos scare the bejayus out of me. They seem to me to be the closest we have come to a pan-european neo-fascist/neo-nazi group.

By the by, these boyos scare the bejayus out of me. They seem to me to be the closest we have come to a pan-european neo-fascist/neo-nazi group.

Me too. They're on Newstalk every day. They're on now. They get so much coverage it's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Simmons is some clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

sorry for cross-posting, but are they to be taken seriously?

see here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60308526&postcount=56

so, in short, no serious policy to be found here ...personally I do take overtly populistic parties very seriously though ...as a threat to democracy, that is.

Advertisement