Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A questions on vans

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

I have a ten year old Hiace and its always reliable, apart from a starter motor a year ago. Ill forgive that due to the frequent stop-start journeys it makes. I use it 1 or 2 days a week usually but recently did a four hour trip in it which was a chore. Got a sore right ankle and a headache.

Toyota have slipped up in recent years by not updating the Hiace. The d4d engines are supposed to be smooth but 10 years without a facelift made them look old fashioned. The traffic/vivaro look and drive better but will give problems unlike the Hiace which just keeps on going

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Stekelly wrote: »
    Did Toyota not ue a PSA diesel in the Hi-ace for ages?

I think it was a 2.4 litre 2L-TE up until the 2.5 D4D engines (2KD-FTV?) came out around 2001. Or was the 2C (2.0 litre used in Corolla, Corona etc.) available as well? Toyota seem to make enough of their own diesels to not need to outsource

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Stekelly wrote: »
    I'm driving a 97 Peugeot Expert (1.9 non turbo) I bought off my boss. 130,000 on the clock and the van hass never caused an ounce of trouble. Been in the company since new.

Except for the door locks, id agree with the expert, its bullet proof. but not really big enough for serious work (IMO)
    On another thread Ive commented that the fiat ducato is cheap as chips and our one is running like a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Toyota have slipped up in recent years by not updating the Hiace. The d4d engines are supposed to be smooth but 10 years without a facelift made them look old fashioned. The traffic/vivaro look and drive better but will give problems unlike the Hiace which just keeps on going

It is only in Europe that they persist with the old Hi-ace, I saw newer versions in NZ recently, nice looking vans.
    I think Europe must be quite slow for lots of japanese vehicles, The new Avensis looks like the Aurion from 05-06!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I think it was a 2.4 litre 2L-TE up until the 2.5 D4D engines (2KD-FTV?) came out around 2001. Or was the 2C (2.0 litre used in Corolla, Corona etc.) available as well? Toyota seem to make enough of their own diesels to not need to outsource

They had to use the PSA engine in the Corrola ( circa 99-01) for a while because the Toyota engine at the time didnt meet euro emission regs. They still use PSA diesels in the Aygo/C1/107 combo as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

CJhaughey wrote: »
    It is only in Europe that they persist with the old Hi-ace, I saw newer versions in NZ recently, nice looking vans.
    I think Europe must be quite slow for lots of japanese vehicles, The new Avensis looks like the Aurion from 05-06!

I seen those new shape Hiaces in NZ and Thailand but they cant sell them in Europe because of the crash standards here. All vans have to have a sloped bonnet here as a crumple zone. The newer Asian type Hiace has a straight front so not so good in a head on smash. They have Hiaces out there with the 3.0 TD from the Landcruiser, would run rings around my 2.4

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Slidey wrote: »
    The trafic/primastar etc have a few issues that I know of.

Tie rods and tie rod ends are always going on them.

Bottom ball joints are pretty common as well.

Front brake pipes get damaged after pads are fitted when they are not re-located into their brackets and rub on the shocks.

Rear steel brake pipes get damaged when the small wire clip on the handbrake cable falls off and the start to rub.

As also mentioned g/box is very soft.

Thanks for all that!!

I'm swaying back to the Transporter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I seen those new shape Hiaces in NZ and Thailand but they cant sell them in Europe because of the crash standards here. All vans have to have a sloped bonnet here as a crumple zone. The newer Asian type Hiace has a straight front so not so good in a head on smash. They have Hiaces out there with the 3.0 TD from the Landcruiser, would run rings around my 2.4

Yeah the Hiace split into two separate lines in the mid-90s - the normal flat-fronted Hiaces continued only in Japan and some other Asian markets (they were even flatter than the ones sold here which seemed to have a lot more plastic stuck on the nose), and the bonneted vans were sold in Europe as the Hiace and in Japan as the Granvia or Hiace Regius. Besides a few nosejobs they don't seem to have changed much at all since 1995 - am I missing something or are they just chronically outdated compared to the competition these days?

Here's the Hiace we don't get: http://www.toyota.com.au/hiace

Advertisement