Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logging in to Cisco Router

Options
  • 09-05-2009 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Anyone know what the standard username and password is for a Cisco 2425 router via http://192.168.100.1/

Thanks,
    Ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

You need to configure the router's level 15 password via the console interface.
    Settings for the console interface are 9600/8/N/1.

If the router is configured with a password already you'll have to reboot the router
    into ROMMON and change the config register to 0x2142. Then reset the router.
    Once it has booted you can either immediately save the blank config to NVRAM,
    reset the config register to 0x2102 and reboot. Or to preserve the original config
    you can copy the startup config into RAM, remove all passwords & AAA
    lines from the running config, save the config, reset the config register to
    0x2102 and reboot.

I've been a cisco engineer for 10 years. It takes a LOT of training to correctly
    configure a router.Hope you know what you're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

cros13, I think if he knew how to carry out those tasks then he wouldnt have posted the request for help.

Ed, I would have to ask what exactly are you are trying to do?

You can google for the default password and username, but they are likely to have been changed when the thing was first installed. Next step (if you cant find out the password) would be to reset it to defaults, but you will need to know how to reconfigure it before you attempt this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Magzr

Go and learn it for yourself. Here is the cisco password recovery procedure http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00801746e6.shtml

This contains in more details what cros13 is on about.

I am a CCNP and I totally agree with cros13 in that you really do need to know what you are doing to pull this off.

My point with the password recovery procedure is that this is
    no home router. It's a proper enterprise router with a UNIX based
    CLI. There is no default password. The only way to setup this
    router is via the console port.

The thing with cisco routers is there really isn't a web interface
    in the same sense that your home router has a web interface.
    The basic web server on IOS will serve you pages to view the
    current config (raw, not nicely labeled) and enter commands
    to the CLI. The exception is if you install SDM or CP but Ed's
    router is 2-3 generations too old to run either, and they don't
    work in any event. And there is no way you'll get into even the
    existing *cough* "web interface" without setting up the router first.

This is the book I recommend to people starting off on a career as a network
    engineer. It includes most of the CCNA course material greatly compacted:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Network-Warrior-Gary-Donahue/dp/0596101511/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242214311&sr=1-1

Failing that the best textbook for the CCNA is:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/CCNA-Certified-Network-Associate-640-802/dp/0470110082/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242214232&sr=1-3

I think the first question is still important. What exactly is the user trying to do, how many computers are behind the network, how complex a configuration would the user want to set up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I think it's fairly obvious that if the OP thinks we can get to his router at 192.168.100.1, he shouldn't be going anywhere near a Cisco router!

cros13 wrote: »
    The exception is if you install SDM or CP but Ed's
    router is 2-3 generations too old to run either, and they don't work in any event.

Fair enough, I have found the SDM to be very flaky anyway. Although the cisco IOS can be cumbersome and non intuitive sometimes, there is a lot to be said for being able to print out a list of the configuration as a text file. You cannot do this with any of the web based config routers, and I find this can make it hard to reconfigure these routers exactly to a previous setting after a BIOS upgrade or reset (which you have to do all to regularly). Usually end up taking screen captures of all the router screens before reconfiguring.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hoanymole

Guys! It's a wireless internet router I got with my 20MB Broadband from UPC/NTL!

I am just trying to set up MAC Filtering but need the default username and password to get in to the user interface.

If you can help with this - that would be great. Weird that no information for the Cisco 2425 is on the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Your trying to use SDM?

Assuming you want to run it on the router -
    You need to configure a user account on the router with privilege level 15 with login local.

Then you'll need to enable http / https server.

Here:

Router(config)#username irock privilege 15 password irock
    Router(config)#ip http server
    Router(config)#ip http secure-server
    Router(config)#hostname router1
    router1(config)#ip domain name irock.com

Generate the crypto keys (better to use 1024 at least):
    router1(config)#crypto key generate rsa general-keys
    The name for the keys will be: router1.irock.com
    Choose the size of the key modulus in the range of 360 to 2048 for your
    General Purpose Keys. Choosing a key modulus greater than 512 may take
    a few minutes.

How many bits in the modulus [512]: 1024
    % Generating 1024 bit RSA keys, keys will be non-exportable...[OK]

router1(config)#

and...
    line vty 0 4
    login local

That should do it... haven't tested :)

Edit :

Oops - specify path to files for http:

http path

I appreciate all of the effort here but I think you've got me wrong!

This is a wireless internet router for my apartment I'm talking about!

I just want to login to change the security settings. Usually it's a default of admin/password to get in to these things but not with this one and there is not a manual online for this wireless router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Sleipnir wrote: »
    I think it's fairly obvious that if the OP thinks we can get to his router at 192.168.100.1, he shouldn't be going anywhere near a Cisco router!

Get more coffee into ya quick .

( boards.ie automatically makes a hyperlink out of things like http://i.am.asleep.com )

It may be one of those new "cisco" (really linksys) consumer cable modems.
    A cisco 2425 is an entirely different thing.

And iRock, if it was a 2425 it has about as much chance of running SDM
    as a ZX Spectrum has of running Crysis.

I'm a CCNP/CCDP/CCIP/CCSP. SDM has a strange knack for putting out
    configs that should work but mysteriously don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

It may be one of those new "cisco" (really linksys) consumer cable modems.
    A cisco 2425 is an entirely different thing.

And iRock, if it was a 2425 it has about as much chance of running SDM
    as a ZX Spectrum has of running Crysis.

I'm a CCNP/CCDP/CCIP/CCSP. SDM has a strange knack for putting out

Yep - I should have read through the whole post/thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

SDM has a strange knack for putting out

Its doomed as soon as they come up with a Clippy of their own .

bushy... wrote: »

Thanks Bushy...that rocks...i just sent it to a pile of ppl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

You mean this?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8611/ps8675/ps8686/7016662.pdf

?

Somebody who mentioned working for UPC said they were being rolled out.

Ring tech support.

For the record - I managed to clear this up with NTL today.

Default username and password are to be left blank. Just click OK and it will prompt you to set up your own password.

From then on username - <leave blank> and password = whatever password you made up

See pics

How's this new wireless modem working out for ye?
    I assume it's gonna become the norm for UPC.

What kind of speed/range ye getting?

Yes it's the EPC2425.

Working great so far. Initially the service was intermittent but it has settled down now. Can't really comment on range as I am in an apartment but seems good. Full bars throughout the apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jooohn

Hi, does anyone have a user guide for this new modem+router that upc is providing now "Cisco EPC2425" as in my package there was not the cd-rom (I got broadband 3Mb yesterday and i was disappoint when i saw that there was not a separate wireless router but was all together one piece with the modem, so i payed 50€ more and instead of cliassic neatgear wgr614 i got this. So now if i'll change provider, home or whatever i will need to buy another wireless router again) anyway i was really surprise when i saw that on the web there are no information, update for firmware, documetation, forum anythig a part of the link above even on portforward.com there are no reference for cisco router and i would like to chage the setting, the only device i found similar to the cisco epc2425 user interface is the "Scientific-Atlanta WebSTAR-EPC2434". So if someone can link the user guide or post some usefull informations this will be great! thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sean-nirvana

Ed* wrote: »
    For the record - I managed to clear this up with NTL today.

Default username and password are to be left blank. Just click OK and it will prompt you to set up your own password.

From then on username - <leave blank> and password = whatever password you made up

See pics

cheers man, been lookin for this for a while..turned out to be quite simple in the end. i've tried to set my wii up with the internet though and the wii's not pickin up the router. any ideas? i've a cisco 2425 too

Go to http://192.168.100.1/

Leave both username and password blank and click OK.

(there is an option set up your own password here)

Then once you're in - Click the port forwarding link in the Advance Settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Tried this myself and no luck, just keeps prompting me for the username/password. Guess I'll be calling NTL myself.

so what i have to port forward to hook up the wii/ps3 etc..?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

put them in a DMZ
    then you don't need to forward the gazillion ports.

I never heard of virus ridden/trojaned/zombie hords if Wii/PS3s

watty wrote: »
    put them in a DMZ
    then you don't need to forward the gazillion ports.

I never heard of virus ridden/trojaned/zombie hords if Wii/PS3s

alright..is this where i'd go about doing that?
    http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z185/sean_nirvana92/dmz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Yama

You guys really know how to complicate Ed's simple initial question, I was mindboggled by the time I finished. If you can't get onto it by leaving the username and password blank, try Admin or admin as the username and nothing for the password, I'll double check when I get home.

I got this router and I think it's a pain in the ass, half my wireless gadgets started by picking up the signal on and off, now not at all, even after trying different channels including auto, my music receiver won't pick up the network and the customer care don't want to know, saying that the internet works so that's all they cover.

Tried the premium rate support number and the guy didn't seem to know what I was talking about, sounded like he'd never even heard of the router. Explained to him for about 10 minutes for which I am sure I got charged the premium rate only for him to say he would have to check around with his colleagues and I never heard from him again.

All I want is wireless internet access and for my music recevier to pick up the music from my library on my pc and can't get any help or info. Tried plugging my old wireless dlink DI24 into it and the receiver picked up the old network but couldn't pick up the new one to play internet radio. At a loss now except maybe to cancel my account and send the whole lot back. If it doesn't work, why should I pay for it. I got he router free by the way as part of the broadband package but if I was doing again I think I'd get a standard router and use my old or another wireless one. Actually I wonder can I disable wireless on the new UPC router?

Also, does anyone know, if I reset the router will it go back to the default UPC settings or some other factory settings, just as a matter of interest. I might try everythign again from scratch.

I am not in any way knowledgable about setting these things up, if you haven't gathered that already, so if anyone has any tips please give them in a simple idiot's version so I might be able to understand.

I just want the internet on my PC (which I have), wireless internet access for the wii, phone, laptop and for my Roku Soundbridge to pick up my shared music library on a wireless network and play internet radio. I had hoped to set up a bridge to link the TV and Bluray but I'd settle for the others first. I also have a Linksys wet200 that never worked (when I had my old setup where everythnig else worked) and I can't contact their support either. Doesn't make me feel good about linksys/cisco at all.

The D-Link was so simple.

By the way, I asked the installer about using a wireless N router in the future and he said no probs but I doubt that very much.

Thanks

Frustrated

Yama

Yama wrote: »
    You guys really know how to complicate Ed's simple initial question, I was mindboggled by the time I finished. If you can't get onto it by leaving the username and password blank, try Admin or admin as the username and nothing for the password, I'll double check when I get home.

I got this router and I think it's a pain in the ass, half my wireless gadgets started by picking up the signal on and off, now not at all, even after trying different channels including auto, my music receiver won't pick up the network and the customer care don't want to know, saying that the internet works so that's all they cover.

Tried the premium rate support number and the guy didn't seem to know what I was talking about, sounded like he'd never even heard of the router. Explained to him for about 10 minutes for which I am sure I got charged the premium rate only for him to say he would have to check around with his colleagues and I never heard from him again.

All I want is wireless internet access and for my music recevier to pick up the music from my library on my pc and can't get any help or info. Tried plugging my old wireless dlink DI24 into it and the receiver picked up the old network but couldn't pick up the new one to play internet radio. At a loss now except maybe to cancel my account and send the whole lot back. If it doesn't work, why should I pay for it. I got he router free by the way as part of the broadband package but if I was doing again I think I'd get a standard router and use my old or another wireless one. Actually I wonder can I disable wireless on the new UPC router?

Also, does anyone know, if I reset the router will it go back to the default UPC settings or some other factory settings, just as a matter of interest. I might try everythign again from scratch.

I am not in any way knowledgable about setting these things up, if you haven't gathered that already, so if anyone has any tips please give them in a simple idiot's version so I might be able to understand.

I just want the internet on my PC (which I have), wireless internet access for the wii, phone, laptop and for my Roku Soundbridge to pick up my shared music library on a wireless network and play internet radio. I had hoped to set up a bridge to link the TV and Bluray but I'd settle for the others first. I also have a Linksys wet200 that never worked (when I had my old setup where everythnig else worked) and I can't contact their support either. Doesn't make me feel good about linksys/cisco at all.

The D-Link was so simple.

By the way, I asked the installer about using a wireless N router in the future and he said no probs but I doubt that very much.

Thanks

Frustrated

Yama

Yes you can disable the wireless, and yes you can press the reset button.
    It only resets the modem back to when it was installed, not factory conditions.
    The username and password are on the modem on a sticker.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Yama

Thanks Sidhe,I'll try that later and see if it works with the old wireless router. Never had a problem with it before so hope fully it'll work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

bushy... wrote: »

No no... when it comes up with a clippy of it's own, you've hit Cisco evolution to something Linksys like (errrr .. downgrade). Or it's gonna explode next.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement