Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxi Cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

i have a 08 transporter and a lot of the cars going around are junk but at the end of the day a lot of drivers are not makeing money so they have to go around in the **** heaps cos thats all they can pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Sitec wrote: »
    once the vehicle has a valid NCT i dont see the problem. and 99% of taxi's do.

The NCT only shows that car was roadworthy on the day of the test. Considering the relatively heavy use taxis go through, they can easily turn to complete wrecks between NCTs.

One of my major annoyances with some taxi drivers is when you get stuck in the centre seat in the back and the lap belt is either jammed behind the seat or completely inaccessible - and the driver couldn't care less.

Compare this to when I got a taxi in Leeds a few months ago, again stuck in the middle, again looking for the seatbelt but the driver promptly told me where it was (it was one of those ceiling-mounted 3-point belts). And all the taxis there were TX4s, Metrocabs or other cars with at least 5 proper seats and all the one distinctive colour (white with black bonnets and boots) - no Corollas or Almeras where you have your knees in your ears if there's anyone remotely tall in front of you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ned78 wrote: »
    And for appearances, and comfort that's fine. But there's also safety to consider, and I'd wager that most of the aged taxis out there'd struggle to put a 2 star rating on a modern NCAP crash test report - so if you're in an accident in one, you're much more likely to be maimed.

For that reason alone, Taxis should have a mandatory 4 star safety rating, and be roadworthy to boot.

yeah never thought if that end of things, i suppose a taxi can be maintaine to the hilt for all its life but a 92 primera will still be a very unsafe car to be in (NCAP rating), so with that in mind i think taxis should all be a minimum NCAP rating vehicle, and VRT should be abolished for full time taxi drivers in order to allow them to upgrade their cars more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Have to say, I agree with a lot of what the OP is saying.

As I had mentioned in a previous thread about the taxi protests, my dad drives a taxi.

He has an 05 Avensis. (Looks nice in black). He doesn't go out working if the car is dirty, he will clean it, and every week he'll give it the full works. Cleaned thoroughly, inside and out. He also has leather covers for the seats.

But anyway, more to the point.

When the taxi men were protesting (my dad included) I always maintained that they were going about it the wrong way altogether, and I said this to the taxi men I know as well.

They were calling for a cap on licenses, which was never going to happen.

I said if they went out and protested against all the heaps of **** on the road, like the 98 Opel Astras, this would take a lot of cars off the road, and in turn, free up the market a bit. I am also of the opinion that jeeps or SUVs shouldn't be allowed operate as taxis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

steph1 wrote: »
    Eh??? The taxi driver asks if you mind if they smoke??

A taxi driver is not allowed to smoke in the taxi. Well certainly not when they are working and are carrying passengers.

It does raise the interesting question.......which would kill you quicker?

Passive smoking or being bored to death.:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

steph1 wrote: »
    in general heaps of ****e being driven around are going to be the norm for some time because drivers cannot afford to upgrade. Simple as that. ;)

Well if they cant afford it, get out of the business. Better still, why dont you protest some more about taxi plates being issued? Instead of doing it on a monday, why not strike on a Saturday night???? Not a frickin chance of that happening.

I point blankly refuse to get into a an old car. Its my €20 that Ive worked hard for. Not to sit in a 91 honda civic, or a 90 Carina.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

taxi drivers... always a big subject...
    personally I think its comical to see them protesting about caps on licence....
    its a business... anybody can join.. same way anybody can open up a corner shop....
    as to the heaps of crap on the road, I wouldn't get into a taxi unless I felt the taxi was safe....All those 92 primera's and 96 astra's and other pieces of junk,

they are a disgrace... and make us look like idiots here.... all these tourists arriving into ireland and what do we pick them up in 15 year old heaps of junk....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I think that the 9yr limit that will be in force soon will put an end to a lot of this.
    Consumers shopping around will help too. I regularly bypass older taxis to get into the newer/better car. Mind you I dont go to ranks. I just put my hand out when I see a nicer one.

If a car in UNSAFE. Like the brake wear light is illuminated etc. Then just tell them you'll email the carriage office with his details. The car will be fixed in a day I reckon.

I was in a taxi yesterday that broke down. (every single light on the dash came on, a burning smell, and engine stopped. Not good). I tried to help him figure out what was wrong, then we both gave up, I paid my fare and got another taxi. Not his fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

The 9 year rule!! are you serious it should be at max a 5 year rule. A 9 year old taxi is going to be ****ed, The majority of these clowns are there to milk the business dry so they skimp on the servicing to keep costs down and maximise profit.
    Im going to take the advice of sombody here, im going to write down the plate of every sack of **** taxi i see and report him. These ***** have pissed me off too much from there pure ignorance to every road user and every customer. Moaning on boards aint going to solve it.

Ah yes the protests, are these guys on the same ****ing planet? sorry with all due respect, its a menial job and should be paid as such, no ****ing way should these muppets be on 60k a year and live like royalty. If you want to be paid high, you put the ****ing work in to a degree or take the risks as a entrepeneur. Driving around dublin city isnt a hard job and should be paid as such.
    Why moan that the carreer path you took is not profitable, do what anybody else does and get the boat and another job, or go and get educated.

This is targetted at the muppets in the taxi trade not the minority who are actually doing a proper job of it.

kceire wrote: »
    VRT should be abolished for full time taxi drivers in order to allow them to upgrade their cars more often.

Then everybody will buy a plate:D well have a population of taxi drivers:D:D

But somthing along those lines should be brought in.

The cars should be standardised, one make, one level of interior and instead of a year rule a mileage rule.

When has the wear on any machine been measured in time? its measured in miles or cycles, another example of how stupid the people in charge are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

kona wrote: »
    The 9 year rule!! are you serious it should be at max a 5 year rule. A 9 year old taxi is going to be ****ed, The majority of these clowns are there to milk the business dry so they skimp on the servicing to keep costs down and maximise profit

There's nothing wrong with a guy buying a low mileage 5 year old car and driving it for a few years as a cab - the reg plate has very little to do with it.

Also, any of the owner drivers I know look after their car extremely well as it is their livelyhood and a day off the road is a days earnings lost. I'd say many of the crap buckets you see on the road do not have owner drivers behind the wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The 9 year rule!! are you serious...
    <insert rant here>
    ...who are actually doing a proper job of it.

Deep breath there Kona...

AudiChris wrote: »
    Deep breath there Kona...

:pac::pac::D:D I did say I was on a rant at the start:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

Have to give credit to our local taxis on this (Navan) most of the cars are in very good condition, not all are new(ish) cars but they seem good enough.

EPM wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with a guy buying a low mileage 5 year old car and driving it for a few years as a cab - the reg plate has very little to do with it.

Also, any of the owner drivers I know look after their car extremely well as it is their livelyhood and a day off the road is a days earnings lost. I'd say many of the crap buckets you see on the road do not have owner drivers behind the wheel

Well the taxi drivers know where the problems are, if they allowed a boycott of these **** heaps it would mean nobody would use them. which would mean more fares for the lads who actually take care of their cars. Also ill be able to actually drive in the city, without so much of the taxis clogging up everywhere.

I totally agree there is nothing wrong with a 5 year old car, im talking about how a low milage 5 year old car is miles away from a high mileage 5 yar old car.

Heres another fact aimed at a know it all who i had the displeasure of doing buisness with.......100k mile ISNT breaking in mileage, on any car never mind a 96 carina. maybe on autobahn or motorway its will be easier on the engine, but 100k in stop start traffic means, unless you change oil every 2k , your engine will be ****ed.

Thats why I think time is a stupid way of measuring a taxis life, it has to be mileage, that way its fairer to everybody, and in a few years you could tell the part timers from the full timers by the year!!

The 9 year rule is a start but its totally inadequate. I think there should be a inspector who inspects the cars and if they dont meet the standard then the plate is taken until the standard is met(a new car).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

Thats why I think time is a stupid way of measuring a taxis life, it has to be mileage, that way its fairer to everybody, and in a few years you could tell the part timers from the full timers by the year!!

Fair point, though proper maintenance will mean the car could well go into mega figures (300K+ miles) without being useless.

Mileage is the only way to gauge the value of commercials (which is what a taxi is really).

I dont necessarily think mileage is as good a measure as people think either. A 300k Avensis may, with proper care, be infinitely better than a car with half the mileage and not looked after. There are some complete sheds about there, but the only point I can see against an old high mileage car thats been cared for is the NCAP rating.

Maybe an incredibly strict test is in order for any car with a taxi licence with minimum tollerances?

mileage is the fairest way TBH, maybe have a appeals process for higher mileage cars where they are viewed by judge.

Mechanically they maybe perfect but id hate to see what a toyota interior looks like after 300k of taxi life:o

Its more than just mechanics, its the overall standard of the car. Ive been in cars in scrap yards in better condition than some taxis ive been in.

Maybe ever a differnt pricing structure for older cars. So if you ant to go in a merc you pay, if you are bothered then you can take the cheap clapped out banger.

But seats can be replaced just like a tyre, set of decent seat covers and they'd last no problem.

A very strict mechanical test is the fairest way regardless of age and mileage

But seats can be replaced just like a tyre, set of decent seat covers and they'd last no problem.

A very strict mechanical test is the fairest way regardless of age and mileage

In all fairness if these clowns cant change a bulb when it goes, or dont have the cop on to know when to change brake discs, can you expect them to change seats?? doubt it.

They are like kids, you have to tell them what to do.

• Advertisement

In all fairness if these clowns cant change a bulb when it goes, or dont have the cop on to know when to change brake discs, can you expect them to change seats?? doubt it.

They are like kids, you have to tell them what to do.

Well then it'd fail the mechanical test:D

Well then it'd fail the mechanical test:D

Ill go to the taxi rank now and i bet i can take a picture of 2 cars out of maybe 10 that are damaged, or not fit to carry people.(Please dont ask im not arsed:pac:)

They will go to the test and will be told to change the bulb etc. they will, then roll on the test next year. A year of no maintenance or little.

The mechanical test needs to be really strict, no **** taken at all. Maybe even a fine if your car fails on major stuff like, bald tyres, pads, engine, windscreen.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking53.htm
    I know what they will be bitching about next week:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Kona, you really have it in for us dont ya?

The amount of sterotyping on here is stunning, just because the car is old and high mileage dosent mean the car is on it's last legs.

I drive a 1996 Carina with 154K miles as a taxi gets washed every 3 days brushed out every day, windows cleaned (bitta light cardio waiting on the ranks:pac:) daily.

Car is serviced every 6K miles or every month (witch ever comes first) BTW see sig on how to service it.

I have absolutely no intention of getting rid of it anytime soon, if i did get a newer Avensis i'd have to get a loan out and do more hours (currently 80 hours a week) that would take me upto a 90 hour week and i really wouldnt have time/money to keep it clean as it would be on the road so much.

And the dogs on the street know there are too many taxi's working in Ireland thus the money not being there to spend on a nicer car. Just the way of it.

BTW i complimented on it's condition and smell twice on saturday night just gone, i must be doing somthing right.

19 yo taxi, i'd have no problem getting into it day or night

DSCF0312.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,418 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I doubt that London taxis have been NCAP'd, come to think of it, the Fiat Scudo conversions that are hugely popular around Dublin can't be that good in a side impact either.

kona wrote:
    While being poisoned by this engine that was banned within 2 year of release due to obscene nox emmissions. They proceed to brag that the car is the best thing,"its got 350k on the clock", "barely need to service it"...well Ill tell you one thing it looks like it,...... sack of ****.
    Didn't this engine run for 3 years on the Avensis, as well as being on the Carina E?

kona wrote:
    The Funnyes thing was last week, got in a mitsubishi MPV 96 is think, the sack of gick that was banished from japan 5 years ago for being crap, sure itl do for the Irish taxis
    By "banished from Japan" I presume you mean that a combination their tax system that favours buying new cars over older ones, the low initial purchase price over there, and the good prices taxi drivers pay for them abroad due to their reliability means that a lot of them get exported at a relatively young age?

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Kona, you really have it in for us dont ya?
    Just for the arseholes who are giving you a bad name, you said you maintain your car which is spot on, no problem with the drivers like you. Its the shower of clowns who think dublin owes them somthing that get me, that and their bangers.(your on the road more than me, you must be pissed off with it)
    The amount of sterotyping on here is stunning, just because the car is old and high mileage dosent mean the car is on it's last legs.
    Im trying my best not to stereotype but when a well maintained carina or any other 16 year old car is in a serious minority its hard not to.
    I drive a 1996 Carina with 154K miles as a taxi gets washed every 3 days brushed out every day, windows cleaned (bitta light cardio waiting on the ranks:pac:) daily..

Dont get me wrong I love seeing cars get used for as long as they can, But as a public service vehicle its just not up to standard, even Dublin bus has feck all 16 year old buses serving the public.

I have absolutely no intention of getting rid of it anytime soon, if i did get a newer Avensis i'd have to get a loan out and do more hours (currently 80 hours a week) that would take me upto a 90 hour week and i really wouldnt have time/money to keep it clean as it would be on the road so much...
    Even if you came up 10 years, on a lower mileage car, you should get one for under 10k these days, It would hardly break the bank, surely the smart business men taxi men are,because they know EVERYTHING:pac: they factor in depreciation on their balance sheets so they have the money saved when their moey machine dies?? After the celtic tiger people must have saved:confused::confused: or did they just spunk their money on anything they could see??
    Another point how many of those 80 hours are productive, profitable work?? I mean how many of those hours are you not stuck in a rank washing your windows or reading a paper:P, thats what I dont get about taxi drivers, why do they moan about the long hours? surely they know when its busy or where to get the fares from?

19 yo taxi, i'd have no problem getting into it day or night

Id get in it too if somebody gives me e20 to bring them to town, id live in the yoke!:p:p:p

If Im paying e20 to get to town, I think ill take the bus!

DSCF0312.jpg [/QUOTE]

Does your carina have a bodykit on it?? one of those merc kits?:pac::pac:

The oldest car i saw was a 87 vauxhall carlton in red. Id get in that:D

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I doubt that London taxis have been NCAP'd, come to think of it, the Fiat Scudo conversions that are hugely popular around Dublin can't be that good in a side impact either.

A london taxi would plough through whatever it hit and keep going:D

Didn't this engine run for 3 years on the Avensis, as well as being on the Carina E? .
    Possibly did,but the leanburn went, they changed the compression ratio, and Air fuel mix to get the Nox down. The idea was good, the only car with such a lean burn now is hondas I-Vtec, I forget how they managed it but the Nox is far less. Id say the main part of the engine stayed.

By "banished from Japan" I presume you mean that a combination their tax system that favours buying new cars over older ones, the low initial purchase price over there, and the good prices taxi drivers pay for them abroad due to their reliability means that a lot of them get exported at a relatively young age?

Nah this yoke was probably banished from baghdad, nevermind nagasaki. Thing was ****ed, nothing reliable about it, the fact the wheel stayed on was a plus but hey you expect that if it has a plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,418 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Possibly did,but the leanburn went, they changed the compression ratio, and Air fuel mix to get the Nox down. The idea was good, the only car with such a lean burn now is hondas I-Vtec, I forget how they managed it but the Nox is far less. Id say the main part of the engine stayed.

The engine ran from 1997 to 2000 in the Avensis until the VVT-i engines came in. (as well as a considerabe time in the Carina E) It's quite common for manufacturers to have to revise engine setups to comply with new regulations,
    The way you put it, you'd swear the EPA lobbied Toyota to stop producing these awful polluters!

The engine ran from 1997 to 2000 in the Avensis until the VVT-i engines came in. (as well as a considerabe time in the Carina E) It's quite common for manufacturers to have to revise engine setups to comply with new regulations,
    The way you put it, you'd swear the EPA lobbied Toyota to stop producing these awful polluters!

ah yea:pac: I was on a rant!

But Nox is a fairly serious pollutant, its the main emmission from jets engines too so is raping the ozone layer(meh but yano??:D), It comes back to me rather being in a non diesel, somthing like the m5 i go a lift in a few years ago, thank god i wasnt locked, it was great!.

m5<
    >Toyota carina, humm tough one:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Just for the arseholes who are giving you a bad name, you said you maintain your car which is spot on, no problem with the drivers like you. Its the shower of clowns who think dublin owes them somthing that get me, that and their bangers.(your on the road more than me, you must be pissed off with it)

Yea but i understand the frustration of the drivers out there, most are family men with houses and familys to pay for, a neighbour of mine drives a 99 Primera as a taxi, evey morning there's the sound of worn out CV joints and and plumes of blue smoke, if he could afford to change his car i'd well imagine he'd do it in a heartbeat, it's not about not wanting to spend money on a car it's just the simple fact of most lads not being able to afford to.
    I'd love to go out tomorrow and drive a Merc E class as a taxi, but it just aint gonna happen the money isnt there to make payments
    Im trying my best not to stereotype but when a well maintained carina or any other 16 year old car is in a serious minority its hard not to.

All depends on your definition of well maintained, if it starts stoppes and goes passes the NCT and in reasonable condition i've no problem with it being used as a taxi.
    Dont get me wrong I love seeing cars get used for as long as they can,

Contradicting yourself there, few posts back you said there should be a minimum of 5 years use for a taxi?
    But as a public service vehicle its just not up to standard, even Dublin bus has feck all 16 year old buses serving the public.

So if a bus is less than 9 years old your not going to get on it?
    Even if you came up 10 years, on a lower mileage car, you should get one for under 10k these days, It would hardly break the bank, surely the smart business men taxi men are,because they know EVERYTHING:pac: they factor in depreciation on their balance sheets so they have the money saved when their moey machine dies?? After the celtic tiger people must have saved:confused::confused: or did they just spunk their money on anything they could see???

Are you for real???? Do you think that every taxi driver in Ireland has the exact same financial situation?? Get a grip.

Another point how many of those 80 hours are productive, profitable work?? I mean how many of those hours are you not stuck in a rank washing your windows or reading a paper:P, thats what I dont get about taxi drivers, why do they moan about the long hours? surely they know when its busy or where to get the fares from?

Not alot, when you think about it there's over 15,000 taxi drivers in the Dublin area alone, we cant all go for the same jobs at once. Before ya say it i was affilated to a large taxi dispatch company, paid them €90 a week for the pleasure of getting one €7 job for a 14 hour shift on a saturday night.

Id get in it too if somebody gives me e20 to bring them to town, id live in the yoke!:p:p:p

If Im paying e20 to get to town, I think ill take the bus!

Just aswell ya got the bus for the drives sake.
    Does your carina have a bodykit on it?? one of those merc kits?:pac::pac:

Funny.:rolleyes:
    The oldest car i saw was a 87 vauxhall carlton in red. Id get in that:D

Again contradicting yourself??? Which is it you want 22 year old taxi's on the roads or 2 year old taxi's????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement