Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is human evolution over?

Options
  • 08-05-2009 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't sure where to post this question but since I know evolution is an important part of the atheist argument I thought of here.

There's no place on this planet that the human animal can't survive in. Even if the earth plunged into another ice age the Eskimos would just take over. We have an ability to enter a new environment learn the systems and take advantage of it instantly, we have no need to evolve when the environment changes like other animals do. We can already just eat just about anything, even food unpalatable to herbivores like chillies make a delightful snack for us and if push comes to shove we can take down and eat any other living thing.

We still don't really take full advantage of our mental ability's so there's room for even more complex environments.

It's hard to come up with a reason for us to change beyond the minor variations that we already have and environments have always been the catalyst for changes.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Kids in malaria infested parts of Africa are being born with a mild version of sickle cell anemia. Making them resistant to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Are wisdom teeth and the apendix (sp) not being depreciated in newer human models?

MrP

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The more reliant on technology we become the more useless our bodies will become when it comes to surviving without it. Our bodies on their own are pretty badly adapted as it is. We need to put shoes on our feet to walk around comfortably outside for example.

If it comes to a catastrophic climate change,asteroid,super volcano etc I think we'd be screwed, smaller animals and insects are much more adaptable than humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Debunker

ScumLord wrote: »
    We still don't really take full advantage of our mental ability's...

As a human, i disagree with this statement.
    Also humans are mammals. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You don't need to put on shoes. You would build up a hard callus on your feet without them. It's more comfortable to use shoes.

What are we badly adapted for? Humans had spread throughout the planet long before we had complicated technology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

MrPudding wrote: »
    Are wisdom teeth and the apendix (sp) not being depreciated in newer human models?

MrP

The appendix plays a role in immunodefence doesn't it?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Overblood wrote: »
    The appendix plays a role in immunodefence doesn't it?

I'm pretty sure the general consensus is the Appendix has no obvious function.....right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Debunker wrote: »
    As a human, i disagree with this statement.
    Also humans are mammals. ;)
    Did I call us reptiles somewhere?

Most people don't know about or use memory systems like loci, smart people are coming up with more efficient and powerful ways of getting the most out of the human brain. There's vast room for improvement if we educated children differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the general consensus is the Appendix has no obvious function.....right?

Appendix stores intestinal fauna and helps you recover from catastrophic pooping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Its hard to tell, if all third world countries were wiped out today, then i think evolution for humans would be focked
    Its all about survival of the fittest, but these days developed countries do everything they can to try save the weak

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Its hard to tell, if all third world countries were wiped out today, then i think evolution for humans would be focked
    Its all about survival of the fittest, but these days developed countries do everything they can to try save the weak
    Indeed and sometimes I wonder whether, in terms of evolving as a species, we're actually benefitting (as a whole) having access to treatments such as IVF. People are, after all, having children that they're not *naturally* able to have.

It's certainly a controversial subject and one which I won't go into here though :)

Whether we're still evolving, yes, I believe we are. The skills and traits that we are evolving currently, or should evolve, are far different to those of earlier humans (such as hunter-gatherer instincts which we pretty much have no use for any more).

Rb wrote: »
    Indeed and sometimes I wonder whether, in terms of evolving as a species, we're actually benefitting (as a whole) having access to treatments such as IVF. People are, after all, having children that they're not *naturally* able to have.

It's certainly a controversial subject and one which I won't go into here though :)

Whether we're still evolving, yes, I believe we are. The skills and traits that we are evolving currently, or should evolve, are far different to those of earlier humans (such as hunter-gatherer instincts which we pretty much have no use for any more).

In the developed world i can't see how we our evolving, our vision, hearing, etc etc are only gonna get worse
    Unless I'm looking at this wrong and not thinking of something

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, I don't think it is over, mutation is mutation is evolution.

In the developed world i can't see how we our evolving, our vision, hearing, etc etc are only gonna get worse

Yes, but those senses getting worse IS evolution.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes, a lot of people seem to think there is some end point to evolution, a super human type being, no...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Our lives getting easier will not stop mutation. Mutation by copying errors or environmental issues will continue. Some of the mutations will be more "successful" than other.

Survival of the fittest does not mean what it used to, selection still happens.

MrP

Yes, a lot of people seem to think there is some end point to evolution, a super human type being, no...

Indeed, they only way we could evolve to be "super human",for example, run as fast as a cheetah, would be if our survival depended on it, but since we dont need to be able to out run and tackle antelope to the ground theres no way we could ever evolve to do this. Refridgerators are very easy to out run :P

I understand but isn't it backward evolution, what good can come from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Good? Backward?
    You seem to think that there is a goal...

Indeed, they only way we could evolve to be "super human",for example, run as fast as a cheetah, would be if our survival depended on it, but since we dont need to be able to out run and tackle antelope to the ground theres no way we could ever evolve to do this. Refridgerators are very easy to out run :P
    You've obviously not been in trouble with the missus enough. Nagging, enabling the evolution of man since the industrial revolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Mens' nipples.

SirDarren wrote: »
    Mens' nipples.

I dunno, it feels so good when i twist them :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Good article on this a while back in Scientific American. It's fairly long so I shan't post it, link for anyone who's interested:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-future-of-man

Main points (if I remember correctly):

Apparently, human DNA underwent quite noticeable change in the last 5,000-10,000 years with the demise of hunter-gatherer lifestyles and the rise of urbanisation and agriculture. However, this has probably ceased in the last century or so as we head towards a more homogenised humanity....for the time being.

Directed evolution may lie in our future, with elective gene therapy eventually becoming accessible to the wealthy. Add in synthetic augmentation and the possibility of divergent evolution is strong, with our species splitting along a natural vs. enhanced line.

Directed evolution may lie in our future, with elective gene therapy eventually becoming accessible to the wealthy. Add in synthetic augmentation and the possibility of divergent evolution is strong, with our species splitting along a natural vs. enhanced line.

The film Gattaca(sp?) deals with this really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's hard to come up with a reason for us to change beyond the minor variations that we already have and environments have always been the catalyst for changes.

Isn't that what evolution is all about: minor variations?
    And soon enough (comparitivly) all those minor variations seem not so minor at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Lah:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15228837?dopt=Abstract

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Is there a Doctor of evolutionary biology in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Take today's modern western world, in theory we should be evolving against things like contraception - ie those for whom contraception works worst, should on average have more offspring, and if their resistance to contraception has a genetic component this should be passed on the the children.

Also we seem to be currently programmed to want to have sex and nurture and protect our kids, I've asked a number of times before - what would happen in our current civilization if a sub-group with a genetic component that made them child-obsessed evolved. I mean most of us are having 2-4 kids these days, but a "breeding mad" couple could probably produce 15 with current medical and social support. Surely there would be strong evolutionary pressure here, any genetic component for "more kids" would be ruthlessly exploited?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

No, I don't think it is over, mutation is mutation is evolution.
    dvpower wrote: »
    Isn't that what evolution is all about: minor variations?
    And soon enough (comparitivly) all those minor variations seem not so minor at all.

The fact of evolution is that organisms change from generation to generation. But "Evolution" in the sense of the Theory of Evolution is a lot more than that and is predicated on the concept of Natural Selection (in fact it was the Natural Selection part of Darwins work that was the most revolutionary at the time).

Natural Selection is the mechanism of evolutionary change. To summarise it:

"Parents possessing certain traits that enable them to survive and reproduce will contribute disproportionately to the offspring that make up the next generation.
    To the extent that offspring resemble their parents, the population in the next generation will consist of a higher proportion of individuals that possess whatever adaptation enabled their parents to survive and reproduce."

Now, for natural selection to occur, there must be:
    a) an inheritable variation of some trait (eye colour, hand size, etc)
    b) a differential in the survival and reproduction rate of an organism associated with the possession of that trait.

(and the differential works both ways: traits that lead to a higher survival & reproduction rate are selected for more often, traits that lead to a lower survival & reproduction rate are selected less often)

I think we now live in a society that has negated (or at least massively limited) this concept of natural selection. There are no traits anymore that make it more or less likely to enable an individual in society to survive or reproduce: we have corrective engineering (e.g. glasses, braces, artificial implants) or corrective surgery (e.g. laser eye surgery, appendectomy, transplants) for most disabilities. You can't even say that being especially good-looking or smart are traits that are naturally selected for since we no longer live in small geographically disconnected communities - there a 6 billion people that are connected in a global community. Even the ugliest can find someone! And if they can't - there's always mail order brides! :)
    Finally, the concept of monogamy limits somewhat the effects of natural selection also.

So I would suggest that the minimising of the concept of natural selection in westernised society means that "Evolution" in the sense of the evolution of the species as per Darwins theories, is over (or, more accurately, dormant, awaiting environmental disruption). But, as another poster linked to, unnatural selection may be beginning (IVF, Cloning, Genetic tinkering), so in that sense it may not be over yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

If there was a huge catastrope or massive climate change we'd see some changes. Like if the only places that were habitable were aong the eqator people with Darker skin would be likely to have an advantage.

If the only places habitable were thick forests then shorter lighter folk may have an advantage

etc etc

In the current environment I don't know how it would work, perhaps having mobile phones in our pockets(or any kind of technological impact) could be making people less fertile, and only those who are immune to the effects will reproduce

Advertisement