Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to register online and claim levy/tax credits/ refunds : Now Includes Forms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Benzino

Hey, do you have to make all your tax reliefs and claims at the same time? I want to claim health expenses now but will also want to claim for my pension later in the year (need to make out lump sum payment into it first), is that allowed on the site?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Have I correctly understood that you need to register to be able to pay capital gains tax, and if so, how long does registration take? I need to pay this up by the 31 ideally, otherwise I'm looking at penalties.

Edit: Turns out it takes only 2 days. Well done government.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Austria! wrote: »
    Have I correctly understood that you need to register to be able to pay capital gains tax, and if so, how long does registration take? I need to pay this up by the 31 ideally, otherwise I'm looking at penalties.

Edit: Turns out it takes only 2 days. Well done government.

How did you manage to register?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hey - does anyone know if I can find my P60 online anywhere? Meeting with the bank tomorrow and need a few of these. I could search my home office but I thought everything was online these days. Searching through MyAccount (ROS thing) - can only see P21 and a tax cert. IS that all that's there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭relax carry on

dory wrote: »
    Hey - does anyone know if I can find my P60 online anywhere? Meeting with the bank tomorrow and need a few of these. I could search my home office but I thought everything was online these days. Searching through MyAccount (ROS thing) - can only see P21 and a tax cert. IS that all that's there?

Revenue don't issue P60s. It's your employer who does that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

dory wrote: »

When your employer sends in the P60, the information is loaded onto your electronic tax file, but as Revenue don't produce them, they don't issue copy P60s.

In an emergency the best thing to do is to print off your P21s for the past couple of years and show them to the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Benzino wrote: »
    Hey, do you have to make all your tax reliefs and claims at the same time? I want to claim health expenses now but will also want to claim for my pension later in the year (need to make out lump sum payment into it first), is that allowed on the site?

Thanks.

I haven't tried it for a few years, but in the past I successfully claimed PAYE refunds online twice for the same year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Squatter wrote: »
    When your employer sends in the P60, the information is loaded onto your electronic tax file, but as Revenue don't produce them, they don't issue copy P60s.

In an emergency the best thing to do is to print off your P21s for the past couple of years and show them to the bank.

Perfect, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Benzino

Squatter wrote: »
    I haven't tried it for a few years, but in the past I successfully claimed PAYE refunds online twice for the same year.

Thanks, I will try it out and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Kablamo! wrote: »
    How did you manage to register?

Email swregistrations at revenue.ie with your name ppsn and what you wnat to register for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭CWF

I claimed for my flat rate expenses for last year. How long does it usually take before you'll see it in your bank account?

CWF wrote: »
    I claimed for my flat rate expenses for last year. How long does it usually take before you'll see it in your bank account?

24 to 48 hours for the P21 balancing statement and up to 5 working days for any refund due to hot your account.

• Very quick question: On Revenue's website they will not let me go to the next stage unless I can answer the "Income for USC" question. Is this the same as "Gross Taxable"? There is no "Income for USC" part on my statement of earnings.
    I put in the 'Gross Taxable' figure and it comes up with a box saying: 'The amount of USC deducted entered is greater than 8% of the Income for USC amount entered.
    Are you sure this is correct?'

I wish the employer and Revenue would use the same terms!

Very quick question: On Revenue's website they will not let me go to the next stage unless I can answer the "Income for USC" question. Is this the same as "Gross Taxable"? There is no "Income for USC" part on my statement of earnings.
    I put in the 'Gross Taxable' figure and it comes up with a box saying: 'The amount of USC deducted entered is greater than 8% of the Income for USC amount entered.
    Are you sure this is correct?'

I wish the employer and Revenue would use the same terms!

You should have a p60/p45 figure where there's a box with Gross pay for USC purposes. This can be higher than Gross Taxable. Did you any pre tax deductions which might mean the Gross Taxable would be lower than the Gross pay for USC? This could be something like pension contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kenpachi

Quick question please.

I just finished college and I've been offered a job and told to sign up to revenue.ie but it wont let me go past question 7 of 9 because they require 2 forms of ID.

1: Irish driving licence number

2: P60 details

3: Income Tax notice of assessment or acknowledgement of self assessment

I have a driving licence but no P60 and the 3rd option doesnt work for me either, it says

"Income Tax notice of assessment or acknowledgement of self assessment
    This is Revenue's acknowledgement of your self assessment to income tax, which you made when submitting your return of income or amended return of income."

What do I do now??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

As far as I know (I used to work in PAYE until 2017), if you choose the option to have the password/pin number sent out to you by mail, you do not need these documents.

The idea of the P60 etc is so that you can provide enough proof that you are who you say you are, and you can get registered immediately. Option 3 (I think it is)...the one via email, means there's time for Revenue to do some other checks to verify your identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

As far as I know (I used to work in PAYE until 2017), if you choose the option to have the password/pin number sent out to you by post, you do not need these documents.

The idea of the P60 etc is so that you can provide enough proof that you are who you say you are, and you can get registered immediately. Option 3 (I think it is)...the one via standard mail, means there's time for Revenue to do some other checks to verify your identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

If you don't get anywhere with previous suggestion, ringing them is always an easy option, they don't take too long to answer if you call as soon as they open in the morning, the numbers for the different regions are on their site:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/contact-us/customer-service-contact/pay-as-you-earn-paye.aspx

it asks for your PPS, so if you don't have it to hand, you can try the number on this page:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/personal-public-service-number/index.aspx

As far as I know (I used to work in PAYE until 2017), if you choose the option to have the password/pin number sent out to you by post, you do not need these documents.

The idea of the P60 etc is so that you can provide enough proof that you are who you say you are, and you can get registered immediately. Option 3 (I think it is)...the one via standard mail, means there's time for Revenue to do some other checks to verify your identity.

Thanks a million :):)

The regular mail option doesnt require those documents as you said, should have spotted that myself :o:o

Gatica wrote: »
    If you don't get anywhere with previous suggestion, ringing them is always an easy option, they don't take too long to answer if you call as soon as they open in the morning, the numbers for the different regions are on their site:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/contact-us/customer-service-contact/pay-as-you-earn-paye.aspx

it asks for your PPS, so if you don't have it to hand, you can try the number on this page:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/personal-public-service-number/index.aspx

Did what the previous poster said and it said it would be sent out in the post in 5 days, thanks anyway buddy ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Quick question:

I applied for pension relief and refund in 1st week of January for 2019 lump sum payment (submitted a Form 12).

I got an amended tax credit certificate on 7th January.

On 29th January I submitted a query through My Enquiries asking about the status of my application for tax refund.

I've heard nothing since and still await refund.

I did same process in 2019 for 2018 - 2/3 week wait for replies to My Enquiries query and maybe 4/ 5 weeks, for refund. This time, however, I've had no response at all to my query. If a phone them, they say they can't discuss as I have already submitted via My Enquiries and that has been assigned to someone.

Am I missing a trick?? I seem to recall a direct email address for cases where there has been a delay of [x] weeks since submitting query via ROS - anyone have it handy?

Just want to get this put to bed and hoping to avoid going round in circles via correspondence with them.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭FionnK86

In 2017, I worked two jobs. One job was for about €25 a week while other one was about €500. Yet the credits seem to have been allocated 25/75 so I went above the cut-off very early on second job.

Is it possible to amend 2017 now or is it too late? I paid 8% on earnings over €30000. which was about €2000.

FionnK86 wrote: »
    In 2017, I worked two jobs. One job was for about €25 a week while other one was about €500. Yet the credits seem to have been allocated 25/75 so I went above the cut-off very early on second job.

Is it possible to amend 2017 now or is it too late? I paid 8% on earnings over €30000. which was about €2000.

Yes, just login to your online Revenue account and file a 2017 return. Any overpayment resulting will be refunded to you.

Yes, just login to your online Revenue account and file a 2017 return. Any overpayment resulting will be refunded to you.

Wow! Just like that?! I remember doing something similar back in 2014 and I got a small sum but didn't realise it was the same situation now.

I don't need to change percentages of credits? it'll automatically allocate?:confused:

Wow! Just like that?! I remember doing something similar back in 2014 and I got a small sum but didn't realise it was the same situation now.

I don't need to change percentages of credits? it'll automatically allocate?:confused:

Moving credits and rate bands only applies to employments in an active tax year. The active tax year is 2020. You are looking to claim a refund of overpaid tax from a prior tax year. That is done by filing a tax return for the year in question. So long as you check that you've got the correct credits etc as you tick next in each page the system will work out what if any tax is due to be refunded to you.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/do-paye-tax-payers-need-to-submit-a-tax-return/index.aspx

Moving credits and rate bands only applies to employments in an active tax year. The active tax year is 2020. You are looking to claim a refund of overpaid tax from a prior tax year. That is done by filing a tax return for the year in question. So long as you check that you've got the correct credits etc as you tick next in each page the system will work out what if any tax is due to be refunded to you.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/do-paye-tax-payers-need-to-submit-a-tax-return/index.aspx

Thanks relax carry on,

I'll let you know how I get on. :cool:

Thanks relax carry on,

I'll let you know how I get on. :cool:

Good luck. Hopefully a nice refund is due.

€2.5k owed & returned.

Would that've just disappeared into the coffers if I didn't claim?

€2.5k owed & returned.

Would that've just disappeared into the coffers if I didn't claim?

Nice refund. The tax had already been collected during the active tax year and just like all taxes; it was used by the state. It's every taxpayers responsibility to ensure they are paying the correct amount of tax and if they wish to claim additional reliefs/credits that they do so via the multiple channels available to them. Revenue have been promoting that taxpayers constantly check they are claiming their entitlements for nearly two decades and unless they start sending people door to door; some people will lose out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,346 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What company would be best to deal with if looking for a Tax Rebate? Who can do it?

Advertisement