Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting back to running...

• 07-05-2009 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Have decided to keep a log of my training on here as motivation. I used run a couple of years ago, not huge distances but worked up to about 5 miles per session. Up to two weeks ago I couldn't run a mile and a half without nearly passing out. I set myself a mini goal to run 2.5 miles. Last week went like this:

Monday (27/04) - 2.5 mile run
    Tuesday (28/04) - 2.5 mile run
    Wednesday (29/04) - REST DAY
    Thursday (30/04) - REST DAY
    Friday (01/05) - 2.5 mile run
    Saturday (02/05) - 2 hour walk in countryside with my father
    Sunday (03/05) - 2.5 mile run

Just to add, at the moment all my running is done in the gym on the treadmill. I know it's deemed to be a piece of cake compared to running outside but I'm going to stick at it to get my mileage up. Also, I've paid for membership so I'm going to use it!

I don't plan on having 2 rest days together again like last week but I had a couple of things on and just couldn't get to the gym on those days. I've decided to increase my distance by 0.5 miles after every 5 sessions. Last night was my first 3 mile run and I have to say I didn't mind it at all, I enjoyed it. I need to get new music for my iPod though, will look at the podrunner things online. I'm not worrying about my times for the moment, I want to get the mileage under my belt for the moment. I usually run 2.5 miles in around the 30 minute mark and did the 3 miles last night in just over 36 minutes.

This week looks like this so far:

Monday (04/05) - 2.5 mile run
    Tuesday (05/05) - REST DAY
    Wednesday (06/05) - 3 mile run

Hitting the gym again tonight for another 3 miles, all going well :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the logs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Thanks :) Didn't know they existed up to recently. Love reading about what everyone else is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

best of luck with the logs hope it helps with motivating you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Thursday (07/05) - 3 mile run.
    Friday (08/05) - REST DAY

My legs are very tired today. Last night's run was tougher than the previous night. My legs were feeling a little tired before I even stepped on the treadmill. I'm glad I'm resting up today. I'll be running either tomorrow or Sunday, depends on what plans I make. So glad the weekend is here!

• Advertisement

Weekend work:

Saturday (09/05) - 3 mile run
    Sunday (10/05) - REST DAY. Went for an hour and a half long stroll with the dog, nothing strenuous. Followed that with some gardening. My knees are sore since yesterday afternoon. I'm hoping it's as a result of the gardening.

Monday (11/05) - 3 mile run.
    Feeling tired today but looking forward to the run later.

Enjoyed the run yesterday evening. I felt like I could have kept going for longer but don't want to progress too fast. I'll stick to my program. I set the treadmill a little faster than normal, simply because my usual setting just felt too slow. A sign of improvement?! Hope so!

Tuesday (12/05) - REST DAY for me today today. Have my weekly Weight Watchers class. Weight loss has slowed right down for me since I started the running. I don't know why that is but I'll struggle on anyway. I have about a stone and a half to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Oh, well done you! You are motivating me to get back into it again too.
    I used to run 4 times a week and gave up due to the cold winters / wet and damp weather, (aka laziness!) but I'm beginning again this week. Maybe I'll start my own log! I think the weight issue is because the muscles in your thighs are going to grow a bit but the fat is still burning, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, as you should still benefit from overall weight loss and muscle tone from running anyway, I'm sure someone more technical than I can explain it. The main thing is you're doing it....so fair play to ya.

Thanks! I'm really enjoying it now that I've started into it. I'm not worrying about my weight loss in terms of the scales. I'm noticing a (tiny!) loss in my clothes so that will do for now! Bought a new bikini for my holiday in a few weeks and it wasn't half as horrifying as I expected looking in the mirror!

Best of luck Babooshka getting back into it, I'll look out for your log if you start one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

The slow down in weigth loss could be due to muscle gain. As you ve said dont worry about weight, worry about shape and how you look in clothes.

I ve been doing about 20-25 miles a week since i started after xmas and havent lost more than half a stone but look totally different

• Advertisement

I ended up doing a 2 hour walk last night and it was supposed to be my rest day. My legs feel far from rested! Today's plan:

Wednesday (13/05) - (unwanted) REST DAY.

I'll see how I get on with it. I lost 1lb at my WW meeting yesterday so that's spurring me on. Onwards and upwards! (or downwards!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good stuff luvlylady,

I found the same... once I started running the weight loss slowed right down. But I know I look completely different now to how I would have looked before at the same weight so something good is happening :)

So had to edit yesterdays log as I didn't get to actually do the 3 miles that I was hoping for. I was in the gym on the treadmill but my flippin' leggings were falling down! I was raging. I kept having to pull them back up on me. In the end I got so annoyed I just left. I'll treat yesterday as my rest day instead of Friday when I had planned to rest. I wouldn't have enjoyed the run had I kept at it. Straight to the bin with the leggings!

Thursday (14/05) - 3 mile run.

Have the eats all this week, there's no filling me up! I'm allowing myself eat more than usual because it feels like my body needs it, probably due to the extra exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

luvlylady wrote: »
    So had to edit yesterdays log as I didn't get to actually do the 3 miles that I was hoping for. I was in the gym on the treadmill but my flippin' leggings were falling down! I was raging. I kept having to pull them back up on me. In the end I got so annoyed I just left. I'll treat yesterday as my rest day instead of Friday when I had planned to rest. I wouldn't have enjoyed the run had I kept at it. Straight to the bin with the leggings!

Hate that- it really drives me mental. Nowadays I make sure to wear those really tightly elasicated 3/4 length legging things or jog pants with the string you can tie.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Hate that- it really drives me mental. Nowadays I make sure to wear those really tightly elasicated 3/4 length legging things or jog pants with the string you can tie.

Absolutely the way forward!

That happened to me before, on the startline of the Raheny 5... the leggings I was wearing were ones I'd bought when I was 2 stone heavier and they didn't have a drawstring. Only the fact I was wearing a relatively long t-shirt stopped me from displaying asscrack to the world.

I didn't do as much running as I had hoped I would at the weekend.

Friday (15/05) - 1hr 45 minute walk.
    Saturday (16/05) - Lazy day!
    Sunday (17/05) - 4 mile run.

I took to the road for my 'long' run this week as I didn't think I'd have the patience for 4 miles on the treadmill. It was TOUGH! It's going to take time to get my breathing and stride right, I felt all over the place. I had an unmerciful headache for the day after the run. I thought I might have been dehydrated so drank plenty of water for the day but by 21.00 last night, having had a lie down for an hour, I gave in and took painkillers. Is this normal?! Did I push myself too hard too soon?

I'm due to do 3 miles on the treadmill this evening and am dreading it now.

Monday (18/05) - 3 mile run.
    Did my best time for this distance on the treadmill so pleased with that.

Tuesday (19/05) - REST DAY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Amazing isnt it how you can have a horrible day one day and an excellent one the next. I have had loads of 'mare days but always tell myself thats its just an off day and tomorrow will be better- it usually is!

• Advertisement

Wednesday (20/05) - 3 mile run.
    Did my best time again for this distance on the treadmill, I beat the time I did on Monday. I'm not purposely setting out to do it but the setting I usually put it on just seems too slow so I increase the speed.

I'm having a little trouble with one of my toes. Same toe gave me grief last year too and I ended up losing the nail on it. I'm going to have to invest in new runners. Toe is throbbing now today :mad:

Thursday (21/05) - REST DAY
    Going for an early bird this evening!

Bought my new runners today at lunchtime - Asics Gel 1140. Hopefully my poor toe will recover! The new runners feel really light on my feet compared to my old ones. The guy in the shop recommended that they be changed every eight to ten months. I've had my old ones for well over two years so 'bout time I chucked them out!

Friday (22/05) - 4.5 mile run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Hey, have had toe (-nail) problems myself in the past. It's important to keep trimming your nails to keep them short. Especially important on the big toes!

Did my longest run yet yesterday - approx. 5miles. This was done mostly on a beach and running on the sand was HARD! I surprised myself, I didn't think I'd keep going all the way. I was with my brother which helped, had I been on my own I would have been tempted to pack it in earlier! Delighted with myself though!

Saturday (23/05) - REST DAY

Sunday (24/05) - walking 2 hours
    Monday (25/05) - no exercise :mad:
    Tuesday (26/05) - 3 mile run.

I haven't had a good few days training wise. My last run before last night was Friday. Saturday was a rest day and Sunday I was walking for a couple of hours (getting roasted along the way!). I couldn't get out Monday for my usual run so went last night instead. I don't know if it was because I hadn't been running in a few days or what but I didn't enjoy it one bit. I set the treadmill for 4 miles but only barely managed to stick it out for 3. It's mind numbingly boring! I'm hitting the road for 4 miles tonight, weather permitting. Off to mapmyrun.com to plan my route!

I hear ya! I've taken to taping over the display so I'm not watching the numbers.... ouitside running is so much more enjoyable but so much harder on the shins so i try to vary it.
    i also have good weeks and bad weeks... this one hasn't been great. i don't know if it's the heat/ humidity or something but I seem to have gone backwards in terms of stamina :(

littlebug wrote: »
    I hear ya! I've taken to taping over the display so I'm not watching the numbers.... ouitside running is so much more enjoyable but so much harder on the shins so i try to vary it.

I usually have my towel over the display on the treadmill and take it down when I feel like I'm coming to the end and sprint a little. Last night I took it down and I wasn't even 2 miles into it. My friend was with me at the gym last night and I usually go alone so that might have had something to do with it too. I'll be going solo from now on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Hey Luvlylady
    Well done on your training.... Are you training for anything in particular or just for fitness?

I know how you feel about the treadmill being so boring!!! I have one in the house for only the last week and the novelty is already wearing off! Need to find something other than music to occupy me while i'm running on it! The weather has been so crap (for the most part) over the last few weeks that I can't get out in the evenings so all my running is being done indoors (not gonna be fun when I eventually get outside!)

Well donn again :)

Hey Luvlylady
    Well done on your training.... Are you training for anything in particular or just for fitness?

Not training for anything in particular yet. I'm following the beginning of a marathon training programme but I'm not saying I'm doing one! :p I'll see how I go, I'd like to do a couple of races over the summer when I get my distance up a bit.

I sometimes watch tv on the treadmill to get a break from just listening to music. I seem to listen to the same music all the time so I'm well fed up with it by now! I don't need the music as much when I'm on the road.

• Advertisement

Hey Luvlylady

I know how you feel about the treadmill being so boring!!! I have one in the house for only the last week and the novelty is already wearing off!

I found the same... the novelty wore off very quickly. I find the heat inside kills me too.
    I'll see how I go, I'd like to do a couple of races over the summer when I get my distance up a bit.

i've my summer race schedule all lined up (and there's a sentence I never thought I'd hear myself say:D). It's a great motivator and the great thing about them is that the vast majority of people running aren't racing against anyone but themselves. At the minute I just want to get my 5k time under 30 mins... I don't give a hoot if I come in last in doing so. God I'm slowww... i blame my short legs.

At the minute I just want to get my 5k time under 30 mins... I don't give a hoot if I come in last in doing so. God I'm slowww... i blame my short legs.

I'm not all that fast myself but I'm not too bothered about my speed or time for the moment, I want to get the distance into my legs first. I'm a shortie too so that doesn't help :D

At the minute I just want to get my 5k time under 30 mins... I don't give a hoot if I come in last in doing so. God I'm slowww... i blame my short legs.
    Do the Rathfarnham 5k in October, I believe the course is net downhill ;)

Do the Rathfarnham 5k in October, I believe the course is net downhill ;)

lol :D Now how could I sell the idea of travelling to the wrong other side of the country just for a 5k race to my OH.;) Gosh if I haven't gone under 30 mins by October I should give up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I'm a shortie too :D lol
    I'm just about covering the 5k in 30 mins at the moment although I'm really pushing myself to do it!

Yesterday evening was a complete waste. I didn't get to do my run. My sports bra was in the washing machine and needed to be dried. I absolutely can't run without it. I decided to have my dinner first and then go running later. The lazy bug bit me then and I ended up going no where. I had been to my WW class and had gained 1lb so I was disheartened. :(

There's the line I've drawn under last week. I'm starting seriously back into my program and back onto my diet today. I didn't track all week so that's why I had the gain at WW. Plan for tonight is 4 miles on the road. Have the route mapped out and the bra dry so no excuse. :D

I'm not drinking enough water either and have vowed this week to drink at least 2 and ideally 3 litres a day.

• Advertisement

Thursday (28/05) - 4 mile run.

I managed my 4 miles on the road yesterday, despite the sun being so strong. Running with my back to the sun wasn't too bad but facing it was a nightmare. Still, I finished it in about 45.30 which is around my usual treadmill pace so I'm pleased.

No run for me today as I'm going racing (horse racing that is :D), I'm due to run 6 miles tomorrow which will be my longest run of my entire life! :eek: I hope I can pull it off.

I haven't done a thing running-wise since last Thursday, a full week today. Had a hectic weekend which involved horse racing, boozing and hangovers! Oh and I'm in the middle of exams too so I squeezed in some study too. I'm finished the exams next Tuesday and heading on hols on Saturday so I'm not going to be doing much running between now and then. I'll stick with my 3 mile sessions on the treadmill between now and then and get back to my program and running on the road after the holidays.

Thursday (04/06) - 3 mile run (treadmill).

Right, I'm back! Went on holidays in June and have struggled big time to get back into the training. I've been doing my runs on and off on the treadmill so my fitness (what little bit I had!) shouldn't be entirely gone, but I had wanted to be running longer distances on the roads by now.

I've decided to sign up for a 10 mile race in October so I have something to aim towards. I'm doing a 10k run in September as part of my training. My program starts tomorrow and I'm going to do it all on the roads, no more boring treadmill for me.

So here goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Best of luck! I'd say the roads will be more enjoyable than the treadmill.... Get yourself some good music and you'll be away :)

Tuesday (18/08) - 3.3 mile run on the road.

First day of my new training programme yesterday. It wasn't too bad starting off but I found it tough towards the end. My time wasn't great, about 40 minutes or so, but I'm not bothered about that. Delighted that I'm started now. Rest day today and the same route, just in reverse, tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

Thursday (20/08) - 3.3 miles on the road.

Did the reverse of Tuesday's route and found it much more enjoyable. Had a couple of short walk breaks in the middle which meant I wasn't feeling as bad towards the end as I had done on Tuesday. When I get into a good stride I really enjoy it but if I lose it I struggle. I need to sort out my diet, a trip to the library for a book on nutrition and fitness is in order me thinks! My time was rubbish again, 39 minutes, but that's the least of my worries for now! Next run tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

Speed comes with time - don't worry about it! I found that as long as I was consistently running 3-4 times a week, I got naturally faster over time. I've knocked a minute/mile off my average pace since I started running back at the start of the year, with no particular effort.

Keep it up! :D

Saturday (22/08) - 4.5 miles

Just back from my run. It was tough. I had to walk for about 4 minutes towards the end. I thought my thighs were going to seize up! Time was cr*p again, 52 mins 52 seconds. Think that means my average pace was approx. 11.77 minutes per mile. I'm thinking of trying the Run-Walk-Run method of training, it might stop me from burning out towards the end. I'll run for 9 minutes and walk for 1 for the entire route. Next run tomorrow morning. Relaxing swim, sauna and jacuzzi this arvo!

I didn't do the run yesterday, my programme has me down for a run Sundays and a rest day on Mondays but I'm going to do them the other way around. Sunday is never a good day for running for me so Monday suits much better.
    Total running mileage for Week 1 - 11.1 miles

Start of Week 2 today. Just back from 3.3 mile run. According to the Stopwatch function on my iPod it took me 31 minutes 52 seconds which is way faster than last week. My best average pace last week was just over 11 minutes per mile. Today's pace was just over 9.5 minutes per mile. I used the wall clock in my kitchen to time my runs last week so I'd say I got them a few minutes wrong. Either that or I have improved loads since last week! :D Have to say I didn't feel like I was going to keel over on the home stretch tonight, I couldn't have said the same a few days ago!

Tuesday (25/08) - 3 miles.

Thursday (27/08) - missed my run. The weather was really bad so I decided I'd do that day's run on Friday instead. The lazy bug bit then and I didn't go on Friday either. Bold me!

Saturday (29/08) - 5.5 miles.
    I really enjoyed this run. It's the longest I've ever done and while I was tired at the end I didn't feel like keeling over! I felt my legs strong towards the end, it's almost like they just kept going by themselves without me forcing it! It took me 1hr and 11 seconds. Two weeks to the 10k (6.2 mile) run which I was hoping to do in about an hour so if I keep up the training for the couple of weeks I should get close enough to that. I'm thinking the crowds on the day might push me on a bit.

Total running mileage Week 2: 11.8 miles

Tuesday (01/09) - 3.5 miles

Enjoyed this run, again I felt my legs strong towards the end. My body shape is changing ever so slightly and my weight is coming down so that's a nice side effect from the training!

Having done no training for over a week, I did my second ever 10k run yesterday. The heat was unreal. I did it in 1hr 7 mins, the same run took me 1hr 16 mins the last time I did it 2 years ago so I'm delighted with my improvement. I reckon I could have done it faster if it wasn't so warm (and with more water - 2 water stations over the whole route on one of the hottest days of the year was not enough :mad:). The route was really hilly which took it out of me.

5 weeks to the 10 mile race I'm hoping to run. I'll step up the training and see what happens!

Wednesday (16/09) - 4 miles in 42 minutes. This was my first run with no walk breaks. I was wrecked after it, I couldn't have covered another inch if I had tried! I'm having my doubts about the 10 miler in just over 4 weeks time. I've registered for another 10k in just over a week so I have that to keep focused on for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭bourne99

Wednesday (16/09) - 4 miles in 42 minutes. This was my first run with no walk breaks. I was wrecked after it, I couldn't have covered another inch if I had tried! I'm having my doubts about the 10 miler in just over 4 weeks time. I've registered for another 10k in just over a week so I have that to keep focused on for now.

Well done for no walking breaks! always something to be celebrated and might be easier to increase the miles a little now, and maybe the 10 miles is still on! Also - you've overtaken me in the 1000 mile challenge so you have to keep those miles up if you want to stay there :D

bourne99 wrote: »
    Also - you've overtaken me in the 1000 mile challenge so you have to keep those miles up if you want to stay there :D

Another incentive!

Friday (18/09) - 4 miles in 41.47 mins.
    Did Wednesday's route in reverse and enjoyed it a lot more. No walk breaks again, now that I've left them behind there's no way I'm going back to them! I think it's the first run that I can say I properly enjoyed and felt good throughout. I wasn't half dead at the end and walked to the car in an orderly fashion!

Seriously need to sort out my eating, I'm eating for Ireland lately. I think it's a case of me telling myself I can eat what I want because I'm running. Biscuits, crisps, pic 'n' mix - you name it, I'm scoffing it! I'm sure I could run better if I wasn't as bloated. Health kick starts on Monday!

• Advertisement
Advertisement