Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blasphemy will be illegal in Ireland

Options
  • 05-05-2009 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

We are a true back water country. This is really pathetic and sad.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/may/03/atheist-ireland-blasphemy-legislation

Taken from the guardian:
    This new law "will outlaw anything seen as "grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion". The legislation also includes fines of up to €100,000 for "blasphemous libel", a move that Nugent and Atheist Ireland describe as "criminalising free speech".

"This new law will treat religious beliefs as more valuable than secular beliefs and scientific thinking," Nugent said. He said the real solution to dealing with Ireland's current blasphemy law was to remove all references to religion in the 1937 constitution."

WHY DO WE HAVE TO RESPECT RELIGION?

Why and how can religion have so much power!!! I'm sick of religion and the people who follow religion sticking it in my face!!! I don't want to know about your religion. If I do, I will find out. If I want to talk about all the evils and immoral teachings of religion, then I should be able to. If I want to call your God whatever I want, then I should be able to.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement