Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Blasphemous Thread

Options
  • 29-04-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭

What's the story with this new Blasphemous law Dermot Ahern is trying to bring in? What's his motovation, is he trying to wind this country back even further, were already back to 1913 due to the recession, this little beaut should bring us back to some time in the 1800's, or even just maybe Finna Fail is about to become a religious party...

Feel free to to be blasphemous..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

link or it isnt real.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0429/1224245599892.html

A NEW crime of blasphemous libel is to be proposed by the Minister for Justice in an amendment to the Defamation Bill, which will be discussed by the Oireachtas committee on justice today.

At the moment there is no crime of blasphemy on the statute books, though it is prohibited by the Constitution.

Article 40 of the Constitution, guaranteeing freedom of speech, qualifies it by stating: “The State shall endeavour to ensure that organs of public opinion, such as the radio, the press, the cinema, while preserving their rightful liberty of expression, including criticism of Government policy, shall not be used to undermine public order or morality or the authority of the State.

“The publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent material is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Dermot Ahern doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

to slow today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

DrumSteve wrote: »
    link or it isnt real.
    Indeed. A link would be handy.

Edit: Oops... thanks for the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Looks like he's trying to bring the laws into line with the constitution when it's obvious to everybody including the law reform people that it's the constitution that needs revising.

P.S. God is a wally

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Magnus wrote: »
    [/url]

A NEW crime of <SNIP> libel is to be proposed by the Minister for Justice in an amendment to the Defamation Bill, which will be discussed by the Oireachtas committee on justice today.

A NEW crime of <Priests buggering young children and ruining their lives forever> is to be proposed by the Minister for Justice in an amendment to the Defamation Bill, which will be discussed by the Oireachtas committee on justice today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What a crock of crap.

If this is actually something that is likely to happen then I hope it equally applies to Jedi and the Flying Spaghetti Monster as well as all the other makey uppy things.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Funny this all comes about a few weeks after someone draws a few pictures of Brian Cowen which he didn't like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Fup him and the Jesus he rode in on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

RTE 6one news, May 15th 2015..

"Ten irish protesters were arrested for blasphemy in the name of our Lord Cowen, peace be upon him. Stonings with turf sods live at 3 tomorrow. Brought to you by Boards.ie. If you're bored, click on boards."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Magnus wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0429/1224245599892.html

A NEW crime of blasphemous libel is to be proposed by the Minister for Justice in an amendment to the Defamation Bill, which will be discussed by the Oireachtas committee on justice today.

At the moment there is no crime of blasphemy on the statute books, though it is prohibited by the Constitution.

Article 40 of the Constitution, guaranteeing freedom of speech, qualifies it by stating: “The State shall endeavour to ensure that organs of public opinion, such as the radio, the press, the cinema, while preserving their rightful liberty of expression, including criticism of Government policy, shall not be used to undermine public order or morality or the authority of the State.

“The publication or utterance of blasphemous, seditious, or indecent material is an offence which shall be punishable in accordance with law.”

I imagine the scene will be something like this when it is proposed...

job0a.jpg

It shouldn't be given the light of day in reporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Censorship at last. Someone's been listening to me. Woohoo!
    ***CENSORED***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

**** you Jesus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

JESUS CHRIST :eek:

In the 2008, the law in the Netherlands on blasphemy was lifted. The Minister of Justice Hirsh Ballin considered that 'no true deity would need human protection'. He speaks the truth.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    **** you Jesus!

Ah come on lads. I don't want to have to go trawling back through posts deleting blasphemous comments when this thing comes in. Spare a thought for us poor mods.

javaboy wrote: »
    Ah come on lads. I don't want to have to go trawling back through posts deleting blasphemous comments when this thing comes in. Spare a thought for us poor mods.

Don't even give a thought to them applying this law retrospectively. :eek::eek:

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Don't even give a thought to them applying this law retrospectively. :eek::eek:

It wouldn't have to be AFAIK. If the comment remains on Boards then it is essentially republished whenever someone loads that page regardless of when the comment was actually posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭5318008!

Talk about a backward step. And this isn't his first either mind you. His views are obviously out of touch with 21st century ireland.

The holocaust never happened
    :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

the Mothers of Seven shall nod with approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Quote:
    “Blasphemous matter” is defined as matter “that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion; and he or she intends, by the publication of the matter concerned, to cause such outrage.”

Apologies for copying & pasting, but it seems to me that the quote above is the dangerous bit. This law will not just protect Christianity by the sounds of it. It will also mean that if anyone makes a comment, for example about Islam, a religion that's easily offended, then he will be guilty of a crime. This could easily open the floodgates. How does someone prove that he didn't intend to cause "outrage"? Next step the Inquisition?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

javaboy wrote: »
    It wouldn't have to be AFAIK. If the comment remains on Boards then it is essentially republished whenever someone loads that page regardless of when the comment was actually posted.

That can't be true, can it? So surely the same would apply to online media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I was talking about this last night during my weekly orgy with Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed and the "virgin" Mary.

"I think it's a great idea," Jesus piped up as his testicles tickled my chin. "Nothing I hate more than blasphemy."

"I agree," replied Mohammed as he inserted a double-ended dildo into a laughing Buddha.

Mary remained silent. Well, it is hard to talk when you're.......

etc. etc. etc. etc.

Come and get me Mr. Ahern.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    That can't be true, can it? So surely the same would apply to online media?

Em yeah. Online media is what I was talking about.

P.S. I am not a lawyer and I'm making it up as I go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Come and get me Mr. Ahern.
    Last May just called. He told me to tell you that you spelt Cowen wrong.

Pighead wrote: »

Try again piggy.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »

Pighead should have read the OP first. ;)

Advertisement