Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    I see, but since science has no answers regarding our origin other than that one mental sentence it seems that there is a gap in the knowledge and into this gap leaps faith. As I say I had at the start of this thread the impression that agnosticism was the lack of belief position, wheras atheism was the active disbelief. Thanks to sink and others I can see that the positions are not as black and white as I had originally perceived them to be.
    lol, now i don't know any more! :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I've had it cynically explained to me as the belief that there was nothing, and nothing acted upon that nothingness, and then for an unknown reason it exploded into everything; then for no good reason other than sheer random chance bits of everything rearranged themselves into bits that could make more of themselves and then they turned into apes who thought they knew about nearly everything.

Is that fair?

Atheism is the absence of religious belief. Each indiviual atheist is entitled to have their own views on the origins of the universe, provided they don't start with an old greybearded man with a toolbox and a jam sandwich industriously creating everything then sitting back for a breather (such is my understanding of Chirstian belief at any rate).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Is that fair?

atheism_motivational_poster_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,901 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've had it cynically explained to me as the belief that there was nothing, and nothing acted upon that nothingness, and then for an unknown reason it exploded into everything; then for no good reason other than sheer random chance bits of everything rearranged themselves into bits that could make more of themselves and then they turned into apes who thought they knew about nearly everything.

Is that fair?
    About as fair as the idea that a God/Gods suddenly Shyte out of nothing. Oh, and that they were humanoid.

Big Bang or God. Take your pick. Either is at the end of the day just a fancy way to plug the gap in a tormenting infinite loop of thought relating to the origin of everything.

Get caught in that loop long enough and your brain will explode or you will commit suicide, Ive become convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Is that fair?

An easier way to think of Atheism/Agnosticism is how relevant the individual finds Gods existence. Atheists will largely not say that a God can't exist or that they know it doesn't exist, but rather it's existence has no relevance to Humans.

The agnostic thinks the concept of God has some relevance. The Atheist does not. Both camps are (or at least should be) equal in that they cannot say if a or the God exists.

But most Atheists would say that if such a God exists, we don't know anything about it, and the humans that claim they do are either liars or deluded or both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No. I just wanted to see if Atheists felt if that was a fair description of their position.
    You're making the mistake of assuming that all atheists have the same position. Atheism isn't a religion. You can take it that atheism is defined as having no belief in any God. That's it. There is nothing more to the atheist "position". Sure, you'll find groups of atheists who share a similar position (such as Buddhists), but to add anything onto "no God" and claim it as the atheist "position" is a fundamental mistake. They will all have their own opinions on how, why and when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

seamus wrote: »
    Atheism isn't a religion.

Indeed I see that now, I had thought it to be a more uniform belief system than it actually is, what threw me perhaps is the inclusion of this forum in the Religion & Spirituality section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

what threw me perhaps is the inclusion of this forum in the Religion & Spirituality section.

D'oh ... and we had just got that can of worms closed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

what threw me perhaps is the inclusion of this forum in the Religion & Spirituality section.
    Ahhh! Good old A&A. The unwanted coffee creme in the box of chocolates that is Religion & Spirituality...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Obni wrote: »
    Ahhh! Good old A&A. The unwanted coffee creme in the box of chocolates that is Religion & Spirituality...

I like coffee creme... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

liah wrote: »
    I like coffee creme... :(

me too liah.... me too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Weirdos.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

pH wrote: »
    atheism_motivational_poster_2.jpg

That motiviational poster reminds me a lot of this one (attached) :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

me too liah.... me too

You know they're not in boxes of Roses anymore? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RayMc

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You know they're not in boxes of Roses anymore? :(

Proof surely that there is a God

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

RayMc wrote: »
    Proof surely that there is a God
    and that they are his favourite ones and that he magics them out of all the boxes at the factory. :)

Advertisement