Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open - Payouts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭mormank

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Taxi, entry fee, food, waitress tips, plus some profit.

ya exactly, whereas double a 10k buy in will not cover just these things so i think to say you need to at least double the buy in to cover expenses is redundant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭mormank

Whyno wrote: »
    Imo it should be double the buy in. Nothin as bad playing for two days, scraping into the money just to recieve your buy in back. Doesnt make any sense. Sure it creates a big purse for the winner and thus creates publicity but nothin about a guy who scraps into the money by playing perfect poker only for his aces to be beat by 52 off and only gettin his buyin back after two days or more of poker. Very disheartening imo

nah its more disheartening to be playing for two days and be the bubble boy!! would be even more disheartening if it was double the buy in. so again i dont see this as a legitimate reason for having at least double the buy in being the bottom payout...plus its probably even worse to have your aces busted by 5 2 off suit in heads up play or anywhere really so that doesnt really come into the equation either imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Ace Reporter

corkie123 wrote: »
    ept aussie millons do as well mick

Been checking. Smallest payout at Aussie Millions main 10K event this year was 15K.
    Recent Monte Carlo EPT main 10K event, smallest payout 20K.
    Regular EPT events this year all paid out more than the buy in for smallest prizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fixer

dacman wrote: »
    fair amt of entries that

I believe Matt Savage announced that this was the largest live tournament field outside of the WSOP.

Anyone from Paddy Power Poker wish to air an opinion on this subject?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

To be fair, I'm not sure the lads who post here would have an influence over the payout structure. Though I could be way wrong on that.

i say BCB should have some idea of how they work out there pay outs and a reply to this would be nice to get there info on this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

I dont have alot to add other than that this thread has been noted and circulated to the relevant parties. This topic has also been added as a discussion point for our next meeting.

If somebody wants to propose a compelling alternative payout structure then fly ahead. But keep in mind that if you are to listen to the opinions on the parties in this thread (and this is onlt a small sample of ppl) you must

- pay double buyin as the min cash
    - pay more to the first half of the cashers
    - pay more to those who finish 10 - 18th (or thereabouts)
    - flatten the payout structure for the top 3 to avoid dealmaking

Then dont forget the other commercial concerns

- have a meaningful 1st prize in line with other major european tournaments.
    - pay a % of the field in keeping with other european majors

We try and be fair with our payout structures and we also try to keep as many people as happy as possible. Perhaps the best alternative is to scrap the first 10 or so cash finishers and redistribute that cash to others? Then you have people complaining that you are not paying 10% of the field. its a vicious circle!
    Anyone from Paddy Power Poker wish to air an opinion on this subject?

I always have an opinion :) I also have regrets, I should have closed the laptop and went to bed instead of hitting F5
    cuterob wrote: »
    i think it has a lot to do with pp being able to say 1st place got 600k in thier tourney

nothing to do with this at all, it actually isnt even discussed and isnt a factor. What does a headline saying XXX wins 600k do that a headline saying XXX wins 500k doesnt do?
    Ollieboy wrote: »
    Whats really bad is players coming 18 and only getting maybe 10k when the winner gets 600k,

this is a point that gets raised elsewhere as a counter argument to paying more to the min cashers. There is only one cake, so if you give some people a bigger slice then somebody else has to go hungry.
    Ollieboy wrote: »
    the difference between the top 3 places is far to much and forces deal making.

forces deal making? what deals are you referring to? I am open to correction here.

2005 - no deal
    2006 - no deal
    2007 - deal
    2008 - no deal
    2009 - no deal
    - never pay more than 10% of the field;
    - be willing to pay a tad less than 10% even;
    - make the first payout 2x the buyin;

If you do this it makes for a tougher and more exciting bubble, and lessons the possibility of deals at the end (or players wanting to deal when it 'officially' isn't allowed).

as discussed elsewhere the first payout of 2x is somewhat flawed and dependent upon buyin. But you have to start somewhere so this could be as good a starting point as any.

I agree about the steeper bubble - this would really suit the better players and would also be tense and exciting. The flip side of this is that you would probably have to pay out a smaller % of players and that the structure would go to **** at this point (in almost any tournament not just the IO) as this is by far the greatest inflection point in the tournament and you have just magnified its magnitude (should I be putting those words together?)

Im not aware of many tournaments where dealmaking isnt allowed (poker million?)
    The payout at this year's tournament was hilarious really. 72 paid, of which only 36 doubled their investment or better. Being honest, I'd imagine most players in the field wouldn't have complained if you had simply just paid 36 people - as it is only from there that cashing becomes relevant.

I think you underestimate how much people like to complain and how hard it is to try and please everyone.
    nicnicnic wrote: »
    it is at least double in the wsop main event

yes but as stated elsewhere somebody has to suffer for this.

Finally - lol donkaments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

nothing to do with this at all, it actually isnt even discussed and isnt a factor. What does a headline saying XXX wins 600k do that a headline saying XXX wins 500k doesnt do?

fair enough, i was thinking that if in 07 they had 1st prize of 600k and then 08 buy-in goes up so 1st prize goes up(800k) and if the first prize came down under 600k for 09 it would look bad, like the tourney isn't doing aswell, well that is what i would be thinking if i was running it, but i'm not so it doesn't matter

also as regards deal making, sorel mizzi has said there was a deal done in 07, he got the most in 410k if i remember correctly

other than that, lol donkaments indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

when i ask for BCB to answer what ppp do i did not expect a answer so quick and so good . but for my 2 bob here what i feel .

like u said u can never make everyone happy with what ever u do but i do feel that if u pay into tourie even if its only 50 euro or even up to 10k when u cash u should get if not double at least 50% more than u pay to enter .the wsop have for 1 years or so been paying double your entry on cashing and now ept and aussie millons have followed as well . in the long run people who play in touries do not want back there entry but more than that at least .i think ppp should get the pay out structure the wsop or ept use which should not be that hard to get from them and see what they would look like on paper the payouts and then decide which is best for your players . using last years figures and numbers ye can see what difference would they have been to final table payouts last year .only then can u see the difference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

forces deal making? what deals are you referring to? I am open to correction here.

2005 - no deal
    2006 - no deal
    2007 - deal
    2008 - no deal
    2009 - no deal

2006 deal

I just want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. The poll is open until Thursday so you can still cast a vote about what you feel should be the approximate amount of the minimum payout level.
    Thanks again.
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

There are of course a few players who are good enough to go very deep in the Irish Open (or, for example, the WSOP main event etc) on a regular basis and for whom negotiating a better final table structure is +ev, but for most, regardless of whether they paid for their seat or won it, just cashing in the Irish Open even once would be a quare tale to tell and if it were me (unlikely :D ), I'd feel deflated if I didn't at least double my money.

Imagine winning a prize in the lottery and just getting your money back, never mind playing your A game for two days or more and then getting sucked out on :(

Events like this and sites like PPP surely benefit more from "Joe Ordinary gets a nice touch" stories than from "poker pro wins another fortune" ones?

Grafter wrote: »
    There are of course a few players who are good enough to go very deep in the Irish Open (or, for example, the WSOP main event etc) on a regular basis and for whom negotiating a better final table structure is +ev, but for most, regardless of whether they paid for their seat or won it, just cashing in the Irish Open even once would be a quare tale to tell and if it were me (unlikely :D ), I'd feel deflated if I didn't at least double my money.

Imagine winning a prize in the lottery and just getting your money back, never mind playing your A game for two days or more and then getting sucked out on :(

Events like this and sites like PPP surely benefit more from "Joe Ordinary gets a nice touch" stories than from "poker pro wins another fortune" ones?

Good post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭PiperT

I didn't see this thread until this evening and funny enough its something I was discussing with somebody recently. I've always believed that payout structures in general are too imbalanced.

I think PPP get more value out of marketing the IO or IWF in terms of the overall prize pool (i.e. €2m or €1m Guaranteed) rather than the value of the 1st Prize. To most, a max payout of 20% of any prize pool for 1st Prize would/should be tasty enough but I'm sure there'll be plenty that would disagree with me.

I think getting your buy-in back is pretty sick after 2+ long days of play. I would like to see it doubled but would even be happy with a 50% return.

In a broader sense, I feel FT payouts are something that need to be more equitable due to the inherent "luck factor" in the final stages of the game.

Having said all of the above, FT's and Payouts are not something I've had too much experience of lately so prob best if I say no more :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

Advertisement