Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most liked names

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Boys:

Christian
    Rhys
    Marcus
    Jacob

Girls (I don't want any girls because they're little ****s but have some picked out just in case):

Caoilfhionn
    Aisling
    Emily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Evan
    Robert
    Jonathon
    Nathan

Julia
    Andrea
    Rosalie
    Hannah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Urquhart
    Quentin
    Cuthbert
    Zachariah
    Zubulon
    Lafayette
    Lucius
    Wilfred
    Thunderthighs

and for the women: Phyllis or Hanora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Urquhart
    Quentin
    Cuthbert
    Zachariah
    Zubulon
    Lafayette
    Lucius
    Wilfred
    Thunderthighs

That's quite a selection you have there Tago.:)

Could you tell us exactly which Planet you clocked in from this morning?:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Urquhart
    Quentin
    Cuthbert
    Zachariah
    Zubulon
    Lafayette
    Lucius
    Wilfred
    Thunderthighs

:D

I used to have a teacher who was christened Nora but she hated it so she changed her name to Hannah. Everyone used to call her Hanora though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭monaghanbiffo

Dudess wrote: »
    Saoirse. But I'm a bit put off by shinner knackers giving their daughters that name (for those who don't know, it means "freedom").
    I also really like Alex (for either gender - love "Lexie" for a girl) and Aidan.

Greys Anatomy Much?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

On my planet, pigs are afraid of human flu. That's the kind of shiznit I be throwin down.

I also like Gideon, Merriweather and Fanny. Fanny is a good name for girls as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Thunderthighs

Love that name!! :P:P:P

For boys I love Peter, Ethan, James, Joshua

Girls,
    Elle, Rachel, Summer, Lucy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dionysus wrote: »
    Ruairí is a legend of a name!

Indeed! :)

I don't know about first name but I would love the surname Chairman. I checked out a book to Dennis Chairman the other day, brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Boys:
    Ryu
    Ken
    Blanka
    E.honda
    Guile
    Zangief
    Dhalsim

girl
    Chun li

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MadgeBadge

I like the Welsh name Nia for a girl.

Was also on a hospital ward with two Winifred's (both in for hip replacements), and wondered why the name isn't in more use these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Evan
    Robert
    Jonathon
    Nathan

Julia
    Andrea
    Rosalie
    Hannah

That's my brother's name and he spells it Evin, I think it's only been in the past 10 years that people have been spelling it with an a. I've even checked the book where the name was got from(1920's book of Irish names) it's Evin
    the name of three Irish saints, one of whom was the founder of Monasterevan and patron of the O'Dempseys

And yes it always annoys me when people spell it wrong. The letters in Evin fit better than Evan which to me just looks awkward and wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Ruu wrote: »
    Indeed! :)

I don't know about first name but I would love the surname Chairman. I checked out a book to Dennis Chairman the other day, brilliant!

Think Chairman would be a brill first name.

Esp if your surname was Mao!!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Rua

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I have a fondness for Ollie. I think it's ridiculously cute. Jack, Owen (I'm not Irish, this spelling looks nicer to me), Theus (think it looks class, pronounced tee-ous, could only get away with naming a kid that if he was foreign though), Alex, Anders, Cian, Christoph/Kristov/etc., David, Kellen.

As for girls.. erm.. Aisling has actually grown on me since being in this country, though I hate similar names like Ashley or Ashlynn back home, Charlie on a girl is cute (though it kind of depends on the accent saying it), Sophie, Rowan.. there's actually very few girls' names I actually like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Orla K wrote: »
    That's my brother's name and he spells it Evin, I think it's only been in the past 10 years that people have been spelling it with an a. I've even checked the book where the name was got from(1920's book of Irish names) it's Evin

And yes it always annoys me when people spell it wrong. The letters in Evin fit better than Evan which to me just looks awkward and wrong.

It's been used quite a lot in North America as "Evan." I knew a few with that spelling growing up (I'm 21 now). Then again we changed spellings on a lot of Irish names, like Owen for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Mark is a great name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Enda. What could go wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

A7X wrote: »

I don't know, it could enda badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I don't know, it could enda badly.

There ya go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

A7X wrote: »

Enda the road I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Greys Anatomy Much?? :)
    Ew... no, I hate that programme! :)
    There was actually an American girl in my school called Lex - always loved that name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

A guy I know is called Lancelot,

legend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

My mate has a girl called lexi
    Great name

liah wrote: »
    It's been used quite a lot in North America as "Evan." I knew a few with that spelling growing up (I'm 21 now). Then again we changed spellings on a lot of Irish names, like Owen for instance.

Regardless of what you say I believe the spelling of it should be Evin. I always think the person is fat if they spell it with an a but thin if it's with an i (no real reason for that, maybe as a child I met someone that spelt it with an a and they were fat). I see it as a mistake that people have excepted and for some reason I hate it when words are spelt wrong (even though I'm dyslexic)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

this is what i have come across on the net--in 1883 one victorian baby was saddled with a name for every letter of the alphabet----ann,bertha,celelia,diana,emily,fanny,gertrude,hypanthia,inez,jane,kate,louisa,maud,nora,ophelia,quince,rebecca,starkey,teresa ulysses,venus,winifred,xerophes,yetty,zeuse, and her surname was pepper

getz wrote: »
    this is what i have come across on the net--in 1883 one victorian baby was saddled with a name for every letter of the alphabet----ann,bertha,celelia,diana,emily,fanny,gertrude,hypanthia,inez,jane,kate,louisa,maud,nora,ophelia,quince,rebecca,starkey,teresa ulysses,venus,winifred,xerophes,yetty,zeuse, and her surname was pepper

I bet you to it on the bad names list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Ciarán
    Alés
    Cáit
    Kasha
    Beibhinn
    James
    Oscar
    Ruairí
    Chiara

Hooray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Fionnuala
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

liah wrote: »
    I have a fondness for Ollie. I think it's ridiculously cute. Jack, Owen (I'm not Irish, this spelling looks nicer to me), Theus (think it looks class, pronounced tee-ous, could only get away with naming a kid that if he was foreign though), Alex, Anders, Cian, Christoph/Kristov/etc., David, Kellen.

As for girls.. erm.. Aisling has actually grown on me since being in this country, though I hate similar names like Ashley or Ashlynn back home, Charlie on a girl is cute (though it kind of depends on the accent saying it), Sophie, Rowan.. there's actually very few girls' names I actually like.

Top name alright, not biased at all like.

When I was young my buddy always took the piss, "imagine being an old man and called Ollie", always pissed me off that. He still says it now and again, the prick. And his name is Jim Morrison, seriously.

Advertisement