Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Science

Options
  • 01-05-2009 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

Im thinking of going back to do a Sports Science degree in either UCD or DCU and am wondering what job prospects would be out there for someone with such a degree and how the degree is rated among fitness professionals etc?

I figure Id ask here as there is a high number of PT's and other fitness related people but I will ask in both the DCU and UCD forums too.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

CoachBoone wrote: »
    Hi,

Im thinking of going back to do a Sports Science degree in either UCD or DCU and am wondering what job prospects would be out there for someone with such a degree and how the degree is rated among fitness professionals etc?

I figure Id ask here as there is a high number of PT's and other fitness related people but I will ask in both the DCU and UCD forums too.

Thanks.

In my experience of PT, Sports scientists dont make the best personal trainers, they study about the sciences of the human body etc.. but not so much about the actual exercises-thats the ones i knew that tried PT, they knew nothing about the actual exercise but could do clinical test no problem..

If you want to be a PT get qualified as a fitness instructor then move onto more advanced courses till you become a PT.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

cowzerp wrote: »
    In my experience of PT, Sports scientists dont make the best personal trainers, they study about the sciences of the human body etc.. but not so much about the actual exercises-thats the ones i knew that tried PT, they knew nothing about the actual exercise but could do clinical test no problem..

If you want to be a PT get qualified as a fitness instructor then move onto more advanced courses till you become a PT.

Thanks for the reply.

Its not so much that I want to become a PT. Its just I dont want to do this course (one which I have an interest in) but have no job prospects when Im finished.

Im just trying to see how its rated and what employment I could expect to find, hoping some of the readers of this board would have some experience with graduates from this degree or others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Im not sure what the demand is for sports scientists, they dont tend to work in gyms anyway so none there really, in labs i would not imagine its a job in big demand, maybe some sports teams would like 1 but most teams are not big money!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

UCD don't have a Sports Science degree.
    So DCU would be the main option in Dublin for the BSc.

UCD have a BCs Sport and Exercise Management.
    Job prospects depend on you with this course.
    I've seen grads vary from flipping burgers to senior positions in sports bodies.

UL would be the cream of the crop for Sport Science imo.

Zamboni wrote: »
    UCD don't have a Sports Science degree.
    So DCU would be the main option in Dublin for the BSc.

UCD have a BCs Sport and Exercise Management.
    Job prospects depend on you with this course.
    I've seen grads vary from flipping burgers to senior positions in sports bodies.

UL would be the cream of the crop for Sport Science imo.

UCD do. Its called Science of Sport and Health.

Who are these grads? And what would there job titles be?

thanks

• Advertisement

UCD do. Its called Science of Sport and Health

Never heard of it? Have you got a link? Cheers

I know grads from the other course who range from gym instructors to management positions in NGB's. Off the top of my head, development, marketing, strategy.
    Others do sports developement for various Local Sports Partnerships in the country.
    Some coach teams, some are athletes themselves, some have gotten into the media side of sport and some work for sports clothing firms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

UCD do. Its called Science of Sport and Health.

Is that not the one that was created for the really good scholarships who weren't clever enough to get into a proper course?

Tingle wrote: »
    Is that not the one that was created for the really good scholarships who weren't clever enough to get into a proper course?

If you mean the BSc in Sports Management there may be an element of truth.

There has been a fairly strong rumour for many years now that the Diploma in Sports Management in UCD was created so various athletes could play for UCD in certain sports.

However, even if it's origin is dubious it does not necessarily reflect on the current course or the BSc.

Just a completely irrelevant FYI - Two graduates of the early Diploma in Sports Mangement in UCD? Brian O'Driscoll and Jason Sherlock. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Exactly!!!

I have no idea Im assuming you mean Sports Management? This course will only be beginning its second year this September.
    Never heard of it? Have you got a link? Cheers

I know grads from the other course who range from gym instructors to management positions in NGB's. Off the top of my head, development, marketing, strategy.
    Others do sports developement for various Local Sports Partnerships in the country.
    Some coach teams, some are athletes themselves, some have gotten into the media side of sport and some work for sports clothing firms.

Link: https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=30

Thats it there.

• Advertisement

Also, I dont really understand what ya mean by clever enough? The points for both Sports Management (which is now called Sports and Exercise Management) was 415 and Sports Science which is called Health and Performance Science was 420 (this is a brand new course). Im not sure what the deal is with scholarships though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Hi,

Thanks.
    i would recommend the one in DCU or many in the Uk where i did my sports science degree after 2 years in carlow RTC doing physiology and health science (which was a great foundation course).

After a good few years of college when i got to applying for jobs at gyms i got the reply 'emmm sports science degree, well i do not know if thats equal to the NCEF or NCEHS' bloody hell i nearly had to beg for a job!!

Most trainers start out in almost every field on very low pay (less than €18-20,000 per year)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Yep it was invented for Jason Sherlock originally my wife tells me, she was in UCD at the same time. He was the only one in the class and they all got to know him because he spent most of his time sitting on the stairs looking bored.

Cheers for that. Suppose it was inevitable UCD would want a BSc in Sport Science.
    But as it's new I'd go for experience and stick with DCU.
    New programmes can can take a while to get up and running.
    Even simple things like staffing for lectures.

Cheers for that. Suppose it was inevitable UCD would want a BSc in Sport Science.
    But as it's new I'd go for experience and stick with DCU.
    New programmes can can take a while to get up and running.
    Even simple things like staffing for lectures.

Yup, DCU seems to be better alright. More widely available info on it too.

Yup, DCU seems to be better alright. More widely available info on it too.

And lets face it...it's on the better side of the Liffey.

And lets face it...it's on the better side of the Liffey.

Well Im in UCD doing a different course atm doing so I dont know about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I have a few buddies that are graduates of Sport Science in UL, one of them is Duty Manager of a leisure centre, the other is on the Dole!!

Advertisement