Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have our nukes back please!

Options
  • 30-04-2009 11:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Someone mentioned the Metro today so I looked it up and came across this (page two):

nef9l0.jpg :eek:

In these days of mad global terrorism and lunatic religious nuts, my question is: should I be afraid?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Yes Kent. Yes, you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Thanks for taking the trouble to link a pic, and not linking to that fucking flash copy of the metro

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I for one welcome our nuke-wielding overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Thats rubbish, almost as rubbish as a Ben Affleck film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

It's a big sea-floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Unless the creatures dwelling at the bottom of the ocean decide they've had enough of us polluting their oceans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If they are on the sea floor that long they are no risk. More people died around the world in the past 10 minutes from smoking related illnesses than have died in total from the recent outbreakes of bird flu, sars and swine flu combined, there's no rush to ban tobacco :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

If they are lost at sea, can you imagine the cost of trying to retrieve them.

Also I would imagine they would be no use to anyone now (depending how long they were lost for) would that be right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Theyre not lost, someone just mis-placed them... like car keys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Saibh wrote: »
    If they are lost at sea, can you imagine the cost of trying to retrieve them.

Also I would imagine they would be no use to anyone now (depending how long they were lost for) would that be right?

True,once water gets into them they are f*cked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

FearDark wrote: »
    Theyre not lost, someone just mis-placed them... like car keys.

I hope the original owner finds them some day soon! :pac:

I know the Russians have lost a few in Georgia and America lost one in Greenland. Israel has lost one over an Arab desert during the 100 day war.
    ...and those are just the ones over land that I can think of at the mo.

I'm not too worried about the sea lost ones - its the missing land ones that will worry me in years to come!

Biggins wrote: »
    Really?

Didn't mean the fact.

Senna wrote: »
    Didn't mean the fact.

No worries. ;)

I'm off for a few minutes. I'm working at the mo on my own WMD! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Someone mentioned the Metro today so I looked it up and came across this (page two):

In these days of mad global terrorism and lunatic religious nuts, my question is: should I be afraid?

Nah....

I'd imagine they are usually well below crush depth , how the hell are you going to get them back?

for example, the USS scorpion (one of only two nuclear subs the yanks have lost) currently resides off the azores in about 3000m of water, average crush depth for seawolf class subs is 730 m. They're gone and they ain't comin' back.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

I hope the original owner finds them some day soon! :pac:

I know the Russians have lost a few in Georgia ..

Where did you hear that ?
    Israel has lost one over an Arab desert during the 100 day war.

Nope, that was the plot of a book/movie !

...and those are just the ones over land that I can think of at the mo.

I'm not too worried about the sea lost ones - its the missing land ones that will worry me in years to come!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'd worry a lot less about nuclear missiles lost at sea than I would about the amount of fissionable material that has gone missing on land, a fair share of it from behind what was the Iron Curtain.

But tbh I don't worry much about any of it, because it's a waste of time worrying about things you can do SFA about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'd worry a lot less about nuclear missiles lost at sea than I would about the amount of fissionable material that has gone missing on land, a fair share of it from behind what was the Iron Curtain.

But tbh I don't worry much about any of it, because it's a waste of time worrying about things you can do SFA about.
    You could always become a mercenary, go recover all the nukes, take over an Island and demand world domination.

Seriously though, anything lost at sea is unlikely to be uncovered again unless some serious advances are made in deep sea recovery.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You could always become a mercenary, go recover all the nukes, take over an Island and demand world domination.
    Meh.

I'm kind of busy this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Seriously though, anything lost at sea is unlikely to be uncovered again unless some serious advances are made in deep sea recovery.

Ahem.. :D

• Advertisement

fishfoodie wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?

I read about it in Newsweek a number of months back, plus recently it was mentioned in the news as an American contingent went to Russia for nuke talks too.
    Sample link about possible missing items for example:
    http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=74106&sectionid=351020602
    Nope, that was the plot of a book/movie!

You could be right but I read that it was based on facts hushed up!

Interesting piece to show just it can happen:
    Iraqi commentator blames Israel for missing nuclear materials, terrorism.
    (From BBC Monitoring International Reports)
    Text of commentary by Salam Kuway'i al-Autaybi entitled "Iraq a chronic headache in Israel's mind" published by Iraqi National Congress (INC) weekly newspaper Al-Mu'tamar on 19 October

The International Atomic Energy Agency [IAEA] has said that equipment and materials that could be used to create nuclear weapons have disappeared from Iraq apparently without Washington or Baghdad even noticing. In a report submitted to the Security Council, the IAEA also said that satellite pictures had shown that entire buildings in Iraq had been dismantled that had once contained precision equipment that could help a specific government or a terrorist group build a nuclear bomb. The IAEA's director-general, Muhammad al-Baradi'i, said that materials and equipment that would help in building bombs had also been taken away from open storage locations in Iraq and had disappeared without a trace, according to what was shown by the satellite pictures.

Source: http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-14073126_ITM

Also see: http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,590513,00.html

Apparently they just fall out of the sky anyway with regular occurrence.
    See: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread302187/pg1

Sleep tight. :pac:

Hire Boat, cost of fuel, hiring staff - won't cost much!!

Hire Boat, cost of fuel, hiring staff - won't cost much!!

and a Fishing rod and magnet

...and a damn good radiation suit! :D

...and a damn good radiation suit! :D

Right then, we will leave it all to you to organise.

You'll find the money no problem...

Right then, we will leave it all to you to organise.

You'll find the money no problem...

Should be no problem.

I hear the Taliban are good for sponsorship - if they let me down, I'll send a request postcard to a certain someone hiding in the North Pakistan mountains. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭falipo

"It's Thought"

I can think of scarier things...dosen't mean the're true...

falipo wrote: »
    "It's Thought"

I can think of a scarier things...

You've met my mother in law haven't you!

I share your terror! :(

falipo wrote: »

I can think of a scarier things...dosen't mean there true...

Yeah the radioactive sea monsters have me bricking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

In fairness now, there is a much worse Weapon of Mass Distruction out there. And it is a hell of a lot easier to get them into the country. The Avtomat Kalashnikova obraztsa 1947 has killed more people than any other single weapons system in the world ever.

Advertisement