Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Cycling

Options
  • 30-04-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭

Just back from the pub. Had 4 pints, not a huge amount but certainly over the limit if I was driving. Friend of mine who drives just had one pint as he was driving, and it made me think that I hadn't even considered holding back on the booze even though I knew I'd be cycling.

Just wondered what people'e opinions are on drink-cycling, as I just cycled home tipsy enough. Not a long journey only about a 10 minute cycle, but seing as drink-drivers tend to be aligned with the devil himself, what would people's opinion be on drink-cyclists? At the end of the day I'm probably only going to do damage to myself and I was sober enough to be very concious of what I was doing, I wasn't swerving all over the road or anything.

But is it as morally wrong as drink-driving, just a bit silly, or no big deal at all?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Well I don't think it's as morally wrong. Drink drive and you could kill someone else. Drink cycle and you'll probably just kill yourself ;)

Morzadec wrote: »
    Just back from the pub. Had 4 pints, not a huge amount but certainly over the limit if I was driving. Friend of mine who drives just had one pint as he was driving, and it made me think that I hadn't even considered holding back on the booze even though I knew I'd be cycling.

Just wondered what people'e opinions are on drink-cycling, as I just cycled home tipsy enough. Not a long journey only about a 10 minute cycle, but seing as drink-drivers tend to be aligned with the devil himself, what would people's opinion be on drink-cyclists? At the end of the day I'm probably only going to do damage to myself and I was sober enough to be very concious of what I was doing, I wasn't swerving all over the road or anything.

But is it as morally wrong as drink-driving, just a bit silly, or no big deal at all?

What happens when you meet someone who is drink driving? Your ability to get out of the way might be impaired? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

One of my best dunken memories was cycling half a mile pissed drunk whilst carrying someone the handle bars. I must've. Fell off at least 50 times in that half mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Mark200 wrote: »
    Well I don't think it's as morally wrong. Drink drive and you could kill someone else. Drink cycle and you'll probably just kill yourself ;)

Or cause somebody else to have an accident and kill someone. I've driven and cycled a lot in Dublin city centre and on some windy back roads. A cyclist really needs to have their wits about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I did the drink cycling before, I decided to cycle on the path rather than the road, in case of drunk drivers. I was able to cycle fine, I don't remember how much I had (3/4 glasses of wine, not much for me). I would never drive if I thought I even might have too much, I've had a glass of wine (which I didn't even finish) with a 3/4 course dinner before and drove that's about it.

I guess I see it as your only putting yourself in danger if your cycling but driving your putting alot of other people in danger. Maybe I think of other peoples lives as greater than my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Actually,its very illegal..an ex neighbour of mine got done for it,

jackncoke wrote: »
    Actually,its very illegal..an ex neighbour of mine got done for it,

I think Matt Cooper was talking about it maybe a month ago. You really need to be acting the maggot to be done for it. In fairness you can be done for being just drunk but how often does that happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

but seing as drink-drivers tend to be aligned with the devil himself, what would people's opinion be on drink-cyclists? At the end of the day I'm probably only going to do damage to myself and I was sober enough to be very concious of what I was doing, I wasn't swerving all over the road or anything.

1. I was knocked down by a cyclist, he was sober but cycling up the quays (Dublin) against the flow of traffic - I broke both elbows and left wrist and spent a total of 11 months out of work. He, probably like you would, took his bike up and cycled off.

Moral of that is, you don't have to get behind the wheel of a car to cause serious injury or death.

2. I don't see why you shouldn't be lumped in with the fool who'll drive his motor vehicle tonight pissed drunk - your both a danger to me, my family & friends and I hate your type equally.

3. Morally, its very, very wrong & also illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Of course it's wrong, what if you fall out in front of someone and they drive over you?

Not sure what the rules are in Ireland but here in Germany it's treated the same as drink driving and you lose your license.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Trampas

I did it once and broke my collar bone.

Never again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I lost a knuckle by doing it. Same evening I got a bollocking off the Gardaí for doing it. Not cycled drunk since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Quazzie wrote: »
    One of my best dunken memories was cycling half a mile pissed drunk whilst carrying someone the handle bars. I must've. Fell off at least 50 times in that half mile.

did this once, ended up in peels of laughter in a crumpled heap.

gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I was a cyclist of 6 years and now I'm a pedestrian. I was walking across the road (at a crossing, with the pedestrian lights in my favour, on a one-way road). Next thing this cyclist moron comes by at speed not two feet away, going the wrong way on the wrong side of the road.

The way I see it is if the cyclist hurts himself that's fine, it's his fault. What you don't realise is that a 75kg male and 15kg bike moving at 20kph is easily enough to kill or paralyze the person they hit. And I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist obey the rules of the road.

Being drunk just makes things ten times worse.

Mark200 wrote: »

Or you cycle in front of a car, get yourself killed and mess the driver mentally for the rest of their lives.

This is just another reason why drivers don't like cyclists. You have to be careful enough passing by when they are sober.

And just to note, here is the offence. It's obviously right up to date. ;)

I have nothing against the majority of cyclists by the way. Have cycled accident free in Dublin city centre for years. (Thankfully. There have been a couple of hairy moments though.)

Next someone will start giving out about drink walking ffs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Drunk on a bike loads of times, fell off loads of times, hurt myself loads of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

One night I was too drunk to rememember actually cycling home.
    I'm pretty sure I didn't kill anyone

Don't see a great night wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Quazzie wrote: »

Wanna do drinks? bring the bike :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I have been drunk while in charge of a shopping trolley, does that count?

It couldnt steer very well anyway so my drunken vision sort of balanced things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I can see the adverts now...
    "They say the lad with the mountain bike did the damage"

I lol'd when I read the thread title, but after reading a few replys I see it is very dangerous. Never heard of any cyclists getting done for drink cycling before

51.—(1) A person shall not, in a public place—

( b ) drive or attempt to drive a pedal cycle,

while he is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the vehicle or cycle.

If you look at the way they worded it you can drink and cycle, you just need to be in proper control of it.

Also it's out of date it, I don't think this bit is right.
    to a fine not exceeding twenty pounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Orla K wrote: »
    If you look at the way they worded it you can drink and cycle, you just need to be in proper control of it.

Also it's out of date it, I don't think this bit is right.

one of my neighbours used to be absolutely bad for it,he was fond of the drink,got himself banned from driving for drink driving,used to cycle everywhere steaming pissed ,was quite a sight to see him and how dangerous it was at 5pm in the afternoon,surprised he didnt get himself killed or any1 else to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

I would put that s*it on my CV...imagine being done for drink cycling...brilliant!

anplaya wrote: »
    one of my neighbours used to be absolutely bad for it,he was fond of the drink,got himself banned from driving for drink driving,used to cycle everywhere steaming pissed ,was quite a sight to see him and how dangerous it was at 5pm in the afternoon,surprised he didnt get himself killed or any1 else to be honest.

I know someone similar, I don't know how they do it and they live about 4 miles from the town, but going by the laws you can drink and cycle, I think it was someone on Matt Cooper that wanted the law changed, don't really remember it too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

javaboy wrote: »
    Or cause somebody else to have an accident and kill someone. I've driven and cycled a lot in Dublin city centre and on some windy back roads. A cyclist really needs to have their wits about them.

Funny you say that. Many a night in Dublin I cycled home p1ssed. I actually felt a lot more consious of the road as I was petrified of falling off. But that's just me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I cycled home from a friend's house-party drunk about this time last year.
    Borrowed my friend's bike, the one with 2 flat tyres, and went off down the road in the dark. It was great fun!
    You know that great feeling when you're cycling and there's a cool breeze running through your hair? It's even better after a few bottles of cider ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

I cycled drunk from Coopers Face Jacks in Harcourt Street to Templeogue, and got stopped by two gardai in Terenure. At first I did not know who they were, but realized they were my two mates. Took me 2 hours to cycle home, stayed mainly on the path. They took me to stay to the cycle paths if possible.

My second time I was stopped was cycling pass the Garda station up the Dundrum hill and I got stopped and breathalyzed. It was a Tuesday morning 7.30a.m. and I was swerving up the steep hill, and I hadn't a drink since the weekend. I was about to say what a waste of taxpayers money, but I bit my lip and carried on.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭glennb

my friend told me about this once that you can get arested for it but i didnt belive him when i started to read this it brought back good memories aswell cycling back to an off lincess one night on a bmx with no brakes (i didnt know it untill i was coming back home) but we were at this off lincess that was on a big hill flying down it i went for the brakes to relise there was none it felt great drunk mad adrenilen rush haha i am gonna go for a cycle next time i am drunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Next someone will start giving out about drink stumbling ffs!!

FYP

Advertisement