Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for the powerlifters

Options
  • 30-04-2009 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Just a question on the basic westside barbell template that you can find on the web here when it mentions ME on either bench or squat/DL day it says to work up to a 1rm but further down it mentions doing 3 lifts at or above 90%, does this mean you work up to a 1rm and then do two other singles above 90% or does it mean work up to a 3rm?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

ladowack wrote: »
    Just a question on the basic westside barbell template that you can find on the web here when it mentions ME on either bench or squat/DL day it says to work up to a 1rm but further down it mentions doing 3 lifts at or above 90%, does this mean you work up to a 1rm and then do two other singles above 90% or does it mean work up to a 3rm?

i'm going to answer this (wrongly!!), AFAIK its work up in threes to your 3rm, as in when u can no longer get the 3 reps, then go for 1rms.:eek: methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Check out this thread in Fitness Logs http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055262233 where Al_Fernz was doing a similar programme

Should contain some relevant information to you starting out

Check out this thread in Fitness Logs http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055262233 where Al_Fernz was doing a similar programme

Should contain some relevant information to you starting out

Al Fernz was / is doing an adapted version of Westside. But doing it well i might add!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The idea behind ME work is that you learn to strain with heavy weights. To do that there must be suffcient volume, hence 3 reps about 90% - you shouldn't just be taking mad jumps looking for a new max like. The strength comes thru the strain.

If you're working towards a new max with westside, ya should be taking smaller jumps. Maybe something like 90, 95, 100, maybe 102%. That way you've got 3 reps above 90%, and if ya don't quite make it drop back a little and get another rep or two in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

ladowack wrote: »
    it says to work up to a 1rm but further down it mentions doing 3 lifts at or above 90%, does this mean you work up to a 1rm and then do two other singles above 90% or does it mean work up to a 3rm?

What it means is you warm up to a 1RM, so you should be fresh going into your 1RM, ideally this weight should be a small PR from what you have previously lifted. So it might look like this (using nice round numbers)

Deadlift:

100kg x 5
    120kg x 4
    130kg x 3
    140kg x 2
    160kg x 1
    170kg x 1
    180kg x 1 NEW PR 1RM

Once you've achieved this you would then do another couple of heavy singles just to get as many lifts in or around 90% as you can. So you might then do:

170kg x 1
    165kg x 1

Now you've done 4 lifts at 165kg or above and set a new PR in the process. The rational here is that if you got all of the big lifts that are above 90% in before your 1RM you'd be wrecked and wouldn't be able to achieve a PR. So be warmed up but still fresh when attempting your biggest lift of the day and then go for a couple of extra slightly lighter singles.

I think this approach is the best for anyone starting off at wanting to gain strength so long as you have some level of competence technique wise and are relatively injury free.

• Advertisement

kevpants wrote: »
    What it means is you warm up to a 1RM, so you should be fresh going into your 1RM, ideally this weight should be a small PR from what you have previously lifted. So it might look like this (using nice round numbers)

Deadlift:

100kg x 5
    120kg x 4
    130kg x 3
    140kg x 2
    160kg x 1
    170kg x 1
    180kg x 1 NEW PR 1RM

Once you've achieved this you would then do another couple of heavy singles just to get as many lifts in or around 90% as you can. So you might then do:

170kg x 1
    165kg x 1

Now you've done 4 lifts at 165kg or above and set a new PR in the process. The rational here is that if you got all of the big lifts that are above 90% in before your 1RM you'd be wrecked and wouldn't be able to achieve a PR. So be warmed up but still fresh when attempting your biggest lift of the day and then go for a couple of extra slightly lighter singles.

I think this approach is the best for anyone starting off at wanting to gain strength so long as you have some level of competence technique wise and are relatively injury free.

is this for all ME days Kev? what THE fcuk had i been reading!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

is this for all ME days Kev? what THE fcuk had i been reading!!

All ME days share the same principal yeah. Do you have a link to what you were reading? Westside is much ba5tardised and a lot of Westside inspired programs exist that go about it slightly differently. I did about a month of solid reading on it before I started and mine is taken straight from the horses mouth so Louie Simmons, Dave Tate, original Westsiders like that. I never actually looked at Joe de Franco even though my program ended up looking similar to what he preaches.

kevpants wrote: »
    All ME days share the same principal yeah. Do you have a link to what you were reading? Westside is much ba5tardised and a lot of Westside inspired programs exist that go about it slightly differently. I did about a month of solid reading on it before I started and mine is taken straight from the horses mouth so Louie Simmons, Dave Tate, original Westsiders like that. I never actually looked at Joe de Franco even though my program ended up looking similar to what he preaches.

I read everything and confuzzzelled myself id say!! have a look at my log three or four pages back b4 xmas i think, when i attempted some form of bastardised WS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I think Jim Wendler summed up the confusion about it really well.

To roughly quote him: "On ME days lift reeeeally heavy then do accessory stuff. On DE days lift reeeeeaaally fast then do accessory stuff."

Advertisement