Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the most out of daily routine

Options
  • 30-04-2009 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

have a sit-down job and don't really have time to go to gym cos am up to my eyes in the evenings. But, I cycle to work - 4.5m each way - most days and swim for about 20mins at lunch 4-5 days a week. That way I kinda get the exercise in without knowing it in a way!!

But i want it to be as effective as possible - Am more concerned with toning rather than losing weight (have the beginnings of bingo wings and i'm refusing to go down that road just yet!!!), if I lost some that'd be great too obviously! So basically was wondering if anyone could suggest ways to make this routine work better!

Was thinking that using webbed gloves when swimming or ankle weights while cycling would equate to resistance training, but haven't a notion really!!! And you lot seem to know your stuff when it comes to this kind of thing!
    any ideas/ advice would help!
    tnx, NC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Just an off-topic point (because you do get a decent amount o exercise, OP), but I HATE when people say they "haven't time to exercise". If you've time to watch TV, you have time. When you're obese or sick or in crap shape in future years, you'll wish you'd copped on and made some time to exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ncinnoir

fair enough point - happen to agree to an extent..but reckon it's a case of preaching to the converted in the fitness forum!!

anyway, for those of us who aren't watching tv and who still don't have time to go to the gym, is there any way to make what exercise we do have time for as effective as possible? :)

tnx,
    nc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can I ask why you don't have time? What is a typical day between 6am-10pm?

typical day?
    6-7.30 sleep --> never was, and never will be a morning person no matter how hard i try.
    7.30-8 up, ready for work
    8-9--commute
    9-1 work
    1-2 swim
    2-6 work
    6.30 - 10.30 commute home/ school/ study/voluntary work
    10.30 - 12 spend time with OH, prepare for next day, bed.

when college's over for the year, i train for the mara, but when i'm at college that option just isn't there and i'd like to make what i do manage to do as effective as possible.
    tnx,
    NC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ncinnoir wrote: »
    typical day?
    6-7.30 sleep --> never was, and never will be a morning person no matter how hard i try.

To be fair, that's a bit of a cop out don't you think?
    ncinnoir wrote: »
    6.30 - 10.30 commute home/ school/ study/voluntary work

I'd be amazed if there isn't a 45 min window in there somewhere at least 3 times a week. What about weekends?

Regardless, you're getting plenty of exercise, but if you want to tone up, why not substitute the swimming for a weights program?

• Advertisement

you're very good for coming back with suggestions, so thanks,

but

1. no, honestly, it's absolutely not a cop-out, have tried it many times before and no matter what i get up to do (running, study etc) it just doesn't work out and other things suffer as a result - aren't you a better performer at certain times of the day than others? Different things work for different people, and morning just does not work for me, especially when i've got so much on during the day...

2. then prepare to be amazed!!! during term - especially when assignments are due or towards exams - there just isn't that time unfortunately. During the summer-time there's loads more time, absolutely - have trained for the DCM for the last few summers. And weekends I have a bit more time too which is great, you have to do the housework sometimes too:(!

Anyway, the craziness will only last another while before the summer so it'll be back to normal then and i can fit in what i like (can not wait :D). For the moment, the cycling and swimming is keeping my fitness levels at a steady level and am happy with how i can fit it in (there's no gym close enough that i can get to at lunch, but there is a pool). I do know that some weight training is needed to properly tone - and since i don't have time for a separate routine, I was wondering if i could somehow add to what i do do to build in some resistance training. I thought that something like ankle weights/webbed gloves would do that, but if not, it'll just have to wait till the summer!!

thanks anyway, appreciate the response,
    NC

Advertisement