Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is why Sky News are the biggest drama queens and scaremongerers.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The worst thing about sky is they show the same crap every 15 minutes (they even advertise this for fúcks sake) and yet there are still gobshítes who'll sit there and watch it all bloody day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

eskimo wrote: »
    I just read through this whole page (click link below). See how scary it looks? Are ya scared?? Well, when I got to the VERY BOTTOM of the article, well, read (below the link) the sentence I came across.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Swine-Flu-Pandemic-Threat-Level-Raised-From-Four-To-Five-By-WHO---The-Second-Highest-Level/Article/200904415272069?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15272069_Swine_Flu%3A_Pandemic_Threat_Level_Raised_From_Four_To_Five_By_WHO_-_The_Second_Highest_Level

"Almost all cases outside of Mexico have had only mild symptoms, and only a handful of people have needed hospital treatment."

AAAAAACHOOO! Excuse me. Sorry I think I've got swine flu. Might go take a Lemsip.

But isn't that what Sky do all the time? They over react to every story as if the world is going to end! They are loving this story at the moment, it means they can panic people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

This is the curse of 24 hour news.

If they didn't make a big deal out of everything they'd have 15 minutes of factual reporting and the other 45 would be Jeremy Thompson doing impromptu puppetry using an ovenglove with a face drawn on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This is the curse of 24 hour news.

If they didn't make a big deal out of everything they'd have 15 minutes of factual reporting and the other 45 would be Jeremy Thompson doing impromptu puppetry using an ovenglove with a face drawn on it.
    I'd prefer to watch than the shíte that sky shovel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

The Prime Minister got a flat tyre on his way to Downing st today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Drumming up fear is the new cool, the Y2K+1 bug. Thats what im calling it.
    We all gonna die, etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

The worst thing about sky is they show the same crap every 15 minutes (they even advertise this for fúcks sake) and yet there are still gobshítes who'll sit there and watch it all bloody day.

What else would they be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I would also like to bring up their partners in crime across the seas.....Foxnews.

Murdoch just loves to stir the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭Trampas

News Corps are forever making things out to be worse as they are.

They are not helping with the R either by saying things are going to get a lot worse so nobody is spending anything which makes it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

They're no where near as bad as Fox News. At least they still report news! (except the whole Jade Goody thing and the news might be slightly biased).

However, I don't see how you can blame Sky News. About half of that article was made up from quotes of people in power.

'WHO chief Margaret Chan said "it really is all of humanity that is under threat in a pandemic".'

That's not Sky News that is scaremongering. The WHO are pretty much the guys who are in charge of trying to stop pandemics.

So even though Sky News may be very biased some times, I really don't think this is their fault.

And Level 5, which the WHO raised the level of alert to, means that a global pandemic is imminent. The World Health Organisation said this, not Sky News.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

eskimo wrote: »
    "Almost all cases outside of Mexico have had only mild symptoms, and only a handful of people have needed hospital treatment."

Mexico, shyte, I thought they said Texaco and I've being going miles out of my way to buy petrol in Shell. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Mark200 wrote: »

And Level 5, which the WHO raised the level of alert to, means that a global pandemic is imminent. The World Health Organisation said this, not Sky News.

On the BBC site:

A senior health official in Europe says it is not a question of whether people in Europe will die, but how many - perhaps hundreds or thousands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A bit of balance from Wikipedia:
    The "Hong Kong Flu", 1968–69. An H3N2 caused about 34,000 deaths in the United States. This virus was first detected in Hong Kong in early 1968, and spread to the United States later that year. This pandemic of 1968 and 1969 killed an estimated one million people worldwide.[35

Now why hasn't Sky News mentioned that? There's an obvious reason. It would detract from this scare.

There have been many pandemics and there still are loads, including:

Cholera
    Influenza
    HIV and AIDS
    Measles
    Tuberculosis
    Malaria
    Yellow fever

All of them are dangerous if left untreated. This entire scare is deliberately being taken out of context for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Sky News Editors get erections in proportionate scale to:

Rising casualty counts.
    The number/quality of horrific injuries.
    Scale of heartbreaking trauma.

- They are the pits - should be renamed Pits News

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Sky News is equivalent to red tops at checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Sky News is equivalent to red tops at checkout.

Or RTE's reporting of the Recession

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Sky News :

'We're great, I think we should get the parachute because we're great. In fact we are so great we think we should get both the parachutes, in case the other one fails'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol @ people who still watch television

internet > tv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

lol @ people who still watch television

internet > tv

lol @ people who still live in Carlow

everywhere > Carlow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The first time I saw 'breaking news' on sky was during the september 11th attacks.

After a few months they were using it for everything. 'Breaking news - thousands killed in new york terror attack' very quickly turned into 'Breaking news - jade goody takes a dump in BHS'

Such a load of bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

....and yet you still watch it.

It's money people, not news - didn't you see Tomorrow Never Dies? Chances are Rupert Murdoch bio-engineered the disease.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I guess its because fear sells
    Most of their audience is too dumb to believe otherwise.

Point:
    Yesterdays swine flu update from the World Health Organisation:

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_29/en/index.html

take note of where if states that there have been 7 mexican fatalities & 1 in the USA.

Meanwhile Mexico continues to have the 10th highest murder rate in the world
    (almost 30 homicides per day) source Wikipedia

but where is the "breaking news" there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

holly1 wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS!!!!

The Prime Minister got a flat tyre on his way to Downing st today.

Kay Burley: We're getting reports of an incident regarding Gordon Browne's convoy. Hold on, we've got a caller, Martin from Ipswich on the line who saw what happened. Martin are you there?

Local gob****e: Yeah well the cars are all stopped. Police everywhere. We dunno what's happening. Everyone's scared.

Kay: Thanks for that. Now we are hearing that it is a flat tyre. Too early to say whether terrorist involvement is likely. But it would be in keeping with tactics.

We have a reporter at Downing Street

Nobody at Number 10: Well spokesmen here are refusing to comment on whether terrorists were involved. Also rumors that the driver had swine flu but again no comment

Kay: We'll be staying with this for the next four hours.

Man I love Sky News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Confab wrote: »
    There have been many pandemics and there still are loads, including:

Cholera
    Influenza
    HIV and AIDS
    Measles
    Tuberculosis
    Malaria
    Yellow fever

All of them are dangerous if left untreated. This entire scare is deliberately being taken out of context for some reason.

So you want Sky News to ramp up the threat from 7 more mass killers? We'll spend the rest of time hiding behind the sofa! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol @ people who still live in Carlow

everywhere > Carlow

thats great but internet > tv

watch what you want when you want, get news from many sources when you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Everytime there is a terroist attack (which let's face it is'nt often) their rating go through the roof. Do they love bad news? Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

One of the most annoying things about Sky is that they can spend the entire day showing a story every 15 minutes, the next day they move on to something else and completely ignore the original story. It's goldfish news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's goldfish news

There's one for Quote of the Year. Brilliant, my man.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sky News have ruined the thrill and excitement of breaking news popping up on the screen.

In fact, hardcore breaking news was when The A-Team was interrupted by a news reader. That's when you knew something big was going down. You just knew something had blown up or someone mad famous had died.

Great days. Great days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Meanwhile Mexico continues to have the 10th highest murder rate in the world
    (almost 30 homicides per day) source Wikipedia

but where is the "breaking news" there?

Did you really need to ask why it's not "breaking news"?

Advertisement