Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements and shizz

Options
  • 29-04-2009 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

Taking a break from the mountain of assignments I have.

Got my conch punched and didn't go according to plan. Large amounts of scar tissue so was recommended to take vitamin E capsules, which I started doing about a month ago. The scar tissue disappeared completely from the back and only a small bit remains on the front. I'm also taking zinc tablets to help bolster my immune system.

I used holey butt'r a year ago also and it kept my lobes pretty happy, was a gift from a mate in canada and the small tub lasted about 6 months.

Then around christmas started using aloe vera gel which I found grand for sooting my ears when they got a bit sore due to temperature fluctuations.

Yesterday I splashed out on a big 125ml tub of bio oil (€24 :eek: ), again for my lobes since my right one is pretty sore and the skin is crazy dry, which isn't the best when I wanna stretch more.

After only using it a bit last night and today my lobes feel pretty good, and my dry lobes aren't like the sahara no more :)

Plan for this thread, and would urge anyone else interested to do it also if they are using any form of moisturisers for their lobes or supplements to get rid of or heal problematic piercings. Post up a pic once a week to document their healing, or stretching progress.

Will do mine over the weekend since all my projects will be done and dusted :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Either a coincidence or a result of the bio oil, im not sure, im thinking just a coincidence. But I just slid in a 22mm tunnel into my left ear, something I've been trying to do for aaages!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

OOoooh interesting thread.

I'm using Vitamin E oil atm on my ears. Trying to shrink down my ears, they were around 28mm-30mm and getting scarely thin. I've been taking my tunnels out a few times a week when i go to sleep and putting the oil on them in the mornings. So far so good :) They're at around 22mm now and much much healthier.

I'm also conducting an experiment on my belly (lol). Have this scar from where a micro dermal fell out, i'm putting Manuka honey on it a few nights a week and it seems to be working :eek:. The scar was all raised and purpley, now it's flat and pinky :O.

I'm using the bio oil on my arm also where my pup ripped out my micro-dermal. Not really noticeable yet.

Lobes are flying with the bio oil though, not angry or anything. Happy and a nice healthy colour. Really suits for stretching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Up until recently I'd just been using my origins face moisturiser on my lobes :o Luckily I've never had any blowouts or anything, they've been fairly happy all along :)

On Gauge's recommendation I got some jojoba oil recently and its fab! I use it for my lobes but also my hands/elbows/knees anywhere else where the skins a bit dry.

For other well healed piercings I just use aloe vera gel about once a week to keep them happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Hmmm using aloe vera on my micro dermal wound , got it out the other day, seem to be working a treat, the colour of the scar is nearly back to normal, am keeping pictures of it , shall post some up when i find a damn usb cable!

• Advertisement

Gave my conch a good 50minute soak in salt water solution today, looks good. It's a major pain in the ass though sitting there for so long with your head in a mug haha.

Just boil up a kettle to it's fullest and use that every 15minutes to top up with hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

As a side note, Not sure how true this is but it comes from a reliable source. bio-oil is just flaxseed oil mixed with vitamin e in it.

Also 50 min soakings are quite excessive Will you'll leach the oils out of your skin.

I was told a good long soak would help get rid of the nasty keloid?
    interesting about the bio oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Bio Oil ingredients here.

Someone who speaks science can translate...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Gauge wrote: »
    Bio Oil ingredients here.

Someone who speaks science can translate...

Translation for gUage: My friend was talking ****.

Though looking at the ingredients you could whip up a batch easily.

• Advertisement

Bio oil is really a god send tbh, ears are whopper at the moment :D

Conch still mending but i expect this to be the case for quite some time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I was going to start a thread asking about this allegid magic potion. I've always used moisturiser on my lobes but lately one of them has been really dry and stingy, i haven't been stretching so i know i'm not messing it about there, i figure the mousturiser i'm using just isn't up to scratch.

So, will ths stuff help and where can get my hands on it? Being as cheap as i am i won't be getting the big bottle though and if that's the only option, it'll be my mammy's worry! :):p

Smaller bottle was 13.50 or there abouts but it's less than half the quantity of the bigger one so better value for money buying the bigger bottle.

I'm pretty happy with the results thus far, but only been using it less than a week. Time will tell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Aaah fine, i guess i'll just go mental and splash out on the big bottle. Need to keep these ears in check.

Maybe try cheaper alternative of aloe vera gel? good moisturiser

Well here's the first set of pics, my conch looks seriously angry so not linking directly to it as it may put some folks off their dinner. Scarring from the back is totally gone and only remains at the front, one thing to note is that it's actually improving which may be the scary thing for some people :eek:

I've been taking vitamin e tablets twice daily and 1 zinc tablet, which got rid of the scarring on the back. I was soaking it twice daily also but for the passed month haven't been due to crazy college and work hours. I soaked it during the week and it considerably reduced the size of the scar.

My lobes are pretty healthy with the extra vitamin e and my skin in general. The bio oil I find great too but am only using it for my lobes which it isn't really meant for i don't think. Not sure.

My hair is also growing stupidly quickly with vitamin e and zinc tablets haha, kind of annoying.

Here's the back shot of my conch, has a small skin flap there which will disappear in a while :)

Photo%20305.jpg

The other pic im just linking to because it isn't very pleasing to the eye haha. Keep in mind this is my conch looking quite happy to what it was, i had mad amounts of scarring on the back also which has more or less disappeared. Molberts seen it when it was quite bad, along with a few others on the forum who can testify for want of a better word on how bad the scarring was originally.

Anywho click HERE if you wanna see the pic.

Will post another photo at the weekend hopefully showing some improvement :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

your pic link isnt working will :(

by the by, i have several aloe vera plants in my house if anybody wants one- you break the stem and hey presto, aloe vera:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bloox

may i ask why the piercings looks a lot better on the girls?:p

bloox wrote: »
    may i ask why the piercings looks a lot better on the girls?:p

Huh? What's that got to do with supplements?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Will wrote: »
    Maybe try cheaper alternative of aloe vera gel? good moisturiser

I love aloe vera for healing the skin - fresh stretches, burns, spots, cuts etc... but personally don't use it as a moisturiser, I don't find it great for that.

I find it tends to just build up and get flakey if I use it as that.

Jojoba oil is my new b!tch for lobe-lube :cool:

I think my conch is on the home stretch *touch wood* The scarring has significantly reduced in the last week.

Have been making a huge effort to make sure I eat a healthy diet containing all your 5 a days. My vitamin e tablets ran out during the week and haven't had the money to buy new ones, still taking the zinc tablets once a day.

Suppose it never really dawned on me before this the amount of hassle your body goes through to heal body piercings, and what a huge difference diet makes in all this. The improvement is huge and I'm pretty happy. It's verging on 5 months having all this hassle, it hasn't been easy but I think I'm on the home stretch with this pain in the arse conch.

New conch picture - happier looking.

Compare it with last weeks pic HERE it looks way happier. In saying that though I'm just after giving it a quick soak.

Regardless I'm very happy with the progress, another month or so possibly. Time will tell :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Definitely looking much happier! Is the scarring painful?

Nah can't feel a thing, even if i do go near it when cleaning it, it feels fine. I'm just leaving it the hell alone and resisting the huge urge to pick at it :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Oh man, I'd say that's the killer alright! I'm dreadful when it comes to messing with piercings etc

Same but still resisting the urge.
    Scar tissue is receeding, soaking once a day in salt solution.
    Will take another pic this saturday.

Have exams next week and a project demo shortly after so hopefully it won't flare up >.<

Been using the bio oil everyday and still looks full, just using it on lobes. Taping with ptfe as of today. Come on the 25mm!!!

Little while after a soak, stopped taking the zinc tablets during the week. Have noticed a slight slow up, even deterioration so gonna go back on the zinc and vitamin e tablets.

The bio oil is working a treat for stretching and my right lobe is up to 22mm. Looks nice and happy too.

Photo%20313.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_0HdlCO2fC6M/Sg7wg8xDnCI/AAAAAAAABXA/0YRzNt-Dfl0/s400/Photo%20313.jpg

It's a crappy webcam so can't really see much, sorta stagnant regards healing at the moment unfortunately.

Gone back on the vitamin e tablets as of today. 60 tabs, take once a day so says the box. The others ones i got said max two a day. Not gonna risk it though :)

Vitamin E capsules are also a great way to lower cholesterol!

• Advertisement

That I did not know. Cheers

Advertisement